What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Johnson vs. Pit (1 Viewer)

hotlanta

Footballguy
This may turn out to be a pretty low scoring game with 2 great defenses. Anybody going to sit CJ in the championship game? I hate to do it, but I'm seriously thinking Leon Washington vs. SEA.

Last edited by a moderator:
MJD for me, should have started him last week.

There is a good chance that Tennessee will have to lean on the run if they want to stay in this game. I don't see Collins playing better against a tough blitzing defense that has Polamalu roaming around in the secondary than he did last week, though it's hard to imagine him playing worse. Lendale and CJ will earn their money this week. Lendale has fun doing his jiggy dance but lets see if he can do it in a game that means something. This is an important game for the Tenn O-Line as well.

Is Lendale still out? Seems like CJ is better when he splits with White. Not that I think I have a much better option, so I'll probably roll with him in my flex and hope this is the first game of the year that a RB pins 100+ on the Steeler D.

Well my choices for Week 16 in lieu of CJ are either Benson (@ Clev) or Tatum Bell (vs Buff).

Pope got some reps with Denver last week and Cutler is throwing the ball a ton.

Benson had a strong game last week.

Right now leaning towards Benson over CJ

Never bench your studs. End of discussion.
I normally follow this, but it sure makes it tough when guys like TO, Cutler, CJ, LenDale are all stinking it up in the semis while guys like Leon Washington and Tashard Choice are going off. What do you do?

Like the previous post, I'm waiting (with fingers crossed) that Gore will be ready to roll week 16. I'm scared that Lebeau and Co. will shut down Tenn.

The only backs to score decent fantasy points against the Steelers this year appear to be versatile backs who are capable of getting both rushing and receiving yards. The lone exception was Leron McClain who was able to get a rushing TD against them with only 26 yards receiving.

Here are the best games by running backs against them this year:

Tashard Choice 23/88/0, 5/88/0

LT 18/57/1, 3/45/0

Leron McClain 16/63/1, 3/26/0

Correll Buckhalter 10/43/0, 6/44/1

Clinton Portis 13/51/0, 7/73/0

Kevin Faulk 6/73/0, 7/48/0

If would appear that if CJ could get some decent yards via the pass he could be serviceable. However, CJ has eclipsed 30 yards receiving only 3 times this year with games of 30, 34 and 72.

Based on this I have serious doubts about CJ this week.

The only backs to score decent fantasy points against the Steelers this year appear to be versatile backs who are capable of getting both rushing and receiving yards. The lone exception was Leron McClain who was able to get a rushing TD against them with only 26 yards receiving.Here are the best games by running backs against them this year:Tashard Choice 23/88/0, 5/88/0LT 18/57/1, 3/45/0Leron McClain 16/63/1, 3/26/0Correll Buckhalter 10/43/0, 6/44/1Clinton Portis 13/51/0, 7/73/0Kevin Faulk 6/73/0, 7/48/0If would appear that if CJ could get some decent yards via the pass he could be serviceable. However, CJ has eclipsed 30 yards receiving only 3 times this year with games of 30, 34 and 72.Based on this I have serious doubts about CJ this week.
Actually, it may be for this that you may want to start him...

Never bench your studs is such a lame response to threads like this.

I own CJ, benching him with confidence in the SB.

When the Titans played the Vikings (#1 vs the Run) they managed 76 yards on 34 carries

When the Titans played the Ravens (#3) they managed 47 yards on 22 carries.

When the Titans played the Bears (#7) they managed 20 yards on 29 carries.

When the Titans played the Jets (#5) they managed 45 yards on 11 carries.

What does that tell you?

The Titans have played the 32nd, 30th, 28th, 26th, 25th, 24th (x2), 23rd, 17th (x2), 7th, 5th, 3rd, and 1st ranked run D's. Against the top 4 D's the Titans ran the ball for 188 yards on 96 carries (1.96 avg)

When the Titans played the Vikings (#1 vs the Run) they managed 76 yards on 34 carriesWhen the Titans played the Ravens (#3) they managed 47 yards on 22 carries.When the Titans played the Bears (#7) they managed 20 yards on 29 carries.When the Titans played the Jets (#5) they managed 45 yards on 11 carries.What does that tell you?The Titans have played the 32nd, 30th, 28th, 26th, 25th, 24th (x2), 23rd, 17th (x2), 7th, 5th, 3rd, and 1st ranked run D's. Against the top 4 D's the Titans ran the ball for 188 yards on 96 carries (1.96 avg)
In PPR, CJ go 22.5, 6.8, 4.3 and 9.1 in those games. I think you can throw Chicago out, as they so overcommited to the run that they let K Collins beat them. But interesting, none the less.

When the Titans played the Vikings (#1 vs the Run) they managed 76 yards on 34 carriesWhen the Titans played the Ravens (#3) they managed 47 yards on 22 carries.When the Titans played the Bears (#7) they managed 20 yards on 29 carries.When the Titans played the Jets (#5) they managed 45 yards on 11 carries.What does that tell you?The Titans have played the 32nd, 30th, 28th, 26th, 25th, 24th (x2), 23rd, 17th (x2), 7th, 5th, 3rd, and 1st ranked run D's. Against the top 4 D's the Titans ran the ball for 188 yards on 96 carries (1.96 avg)
In PPR, CJ go 22.5, 6.8, 4.3 and 9.1 in those games. I think you can throw Chicago out, as they so overcommited to the run that they let K Collins beat them. But interesting, none the less.
Why throw Chicago out? This is a Chris Johnson thread. Who cares if a Defense over-commits to the run and K Collins beats them? We're interested in the impact on CJ's performance and the data above suggests that against top defenses the Titans rushing attack struggles.Good analysis. I'm struggling with the decision between CJ or Cedric Benson against the Browns.

Why throw Chicago out? This is a Chris Johnson thread. Who cares if a Defense over-commits to the run and K Collins beats them? We're interested in the impact on CJ's performance and the data above suggests that against top defenses the Titans rushing attack struggles.Good analysis. I'm struggling with the decision between CJ or Cedric Benson against the Browns.
I got Benson in right now. His ability to catch out of the backfield sold me in PPR. Maybe you guys can change my mind cuz how does anyone feel good about starting Benson....

That's very good info. Thanks.Why would you throw out Chicago? It think teams are starting to catch on that if you stack the box and shut down the run, and blitz linebackers and corners on Collins, you can win. The Texans did exactly that and completely threw him off his game. I expect Pittsburgh to do the same with far better personnel and the results won't be pretty. This team, just like any one dimensional team, will go down early in the playoffs. Look what happened to Arizona this past week.Now edit to add, I did bench CJ in that game against Minn and the Willliams wall and I was sick when he ended up scoring twice with decent yardage.

Right now I'm leaning (although only slightly) towards Benson. However, weather will be a factor for me. If the conditions are poor in Cleve on Sunday I don't have much faith in the offenses dialing it up.

The only way that I see CJ having a big day is a let down by Pitt given that they have played a brutal schedule and played tough, rock-em-sock-em football the last couple of weeks. Pitt now a high seed sown and teams occassionally have a road let down in a situation like this, especially with the Titans banged up and not playing well.

This team needs a QB and a good possession receiver to keep defenses honest. Collins has played well enough but they can't do enough consistently in the passing game. The line isn't dominant enough to control the line of scrimmage against better teams. I am not saying they aren't a good line, they just aren't dominant enough to make them effective as a one dimensional team.

The only backs to score decent fantasy points against the Steelers this year appear to be versatile backs who are capable of getting both rushing and receiving yards. The lone exception was Leron McClain who was able to get a rushing TD against them with only 26 yards receiving.Here are the best games by running backs against them this year:Tashard Choice 23/88/0, 5/88/0LT 18/57/1, 3/45/0Leron McClain 16/63/1, 3/26/0Correll Buckhalter 10/43/0, 6/44/1Clinton Portis 13/51/0, 7/73/0Kevin Faulk 6/73/0, 7/48/0If would appear that if CJ could get some decent yards via the pass he could be serviceable. However, CJ has eclipsed 30 yards receiving only 3 times this year with games of 30, 34 and 72.Based on this I have serious doubts about CJ this week.
Actually, it may be for this that you may want to start him...
Why? They have struggled to get him the ball in space all year. I've watched many Titans games and Collins seems to be uncomfortable with short passes to the backs. In the battle for home field throughout I see the Steelers keying on CJ as he is really the only explosive player the Titans have. The Titans don't really have the scheming or play calling to get CJ any significant yardage IMO.Also, with the Titans D ailing, I wonder if the Steelers may not jump out to an early lead. This would severely limit rushing opps for CJ as well.

It would be interesting to know what the longest run Pittsburgh has given up this year. I'm thinking if CJ breaks a long one, it might be ok starting him.

hotlanta said:
This may turn out to be a pretty low scoring game with 2 great defenses. Anybody going to sit CJ in the championship game? I hate to do it, but I'm seriously thinking Leon Washington vs. SEA.
I held on to Leon since week 7, and a big reason was CJ3's week 16 matchup with Pittsburgh. If I were still in it (*&&&^!!!) I'd be sticking to that plan and starting Leon at RB2.

My initial thought was that they had totally abandoned the run vs CHI, but on further review, he got 14 carries, so throw out my theory instead of Chicago.

Never bench your studs is such a lame response to threads like this.I own CJ, benching him with confidence in the SB.
Agreed. I don't understand how people can be so close minded when matchups are so critical to weekly performance. I really don't think CJ is a good play this week as Pitt has been a historically good D this year and I bet most standard leagues have better options on their waiver wire. I would definitely sit CJ for Benson this week and feel good about it.

I have a bad feeling about CJ this week. I think PIT will be able to shut down Collins and the TEN WR's and be able to key on CJ all game long. I am sitting him this week and think PIT is going to roll.

I'm benching CJ and Barber (definitely the guys that got me to the playoffs) for Pierre Thomas and maybe Derrick Ward (depending on Jacobs).

Agreed. I don't understand how people can be so close minded when matchups are so critical to weekly performance. I really don't think CJ is a good play this week as Pitt has been a historically good D this year and I bet most standard leagues have better options on their waiver wire. I would definitely sit CJ for Benson this week and feel good about it.
This and the post that says they plan to start Little Leon over CJ were surprising. The general rule with any tough match up like this one against Pitt is to find an alternative that is stable and predictable ("good enough"), or has significant upside. If not, start your stud. Cedric Benson and Leon Washington do not offer dependable, good enough points, nor do they offer upside. I own these players too, but they are there in case of injury or late season benchings, not realistic SB winning players.

PatrickT said:
Is Lendale still out? Seems like CJ is better when he splits with White. Not that I think I have a much better option, so I'll probably roll with him in my flex and hope this is the first game of the year that a RB pins 100+ on the Steeler D.
LenDale was not out last week...had like 8 carries or so and looked fine.

Alot of comments here about having an alternate...so I'll hijack with a thinly veiled WDIS using some possible time-sharing RBs as alternatives...do you like any of these guys over CJohnson?

Dom Rhodes @JAX

T. Choice vBAL

D. Ward vCAR

Jon Stewart @NYG

PatrickT said:
LenDale was not out last week...had like 8 carries or so and looked fine.
I'm having a bad posting day.

This and the post that says they plan to start Little Leon over CJ were surprising. The general rule with any tough match up like this one against Pitt is to find an alternative that is stable and predictable ("good enough"), or has significant upside. If not, start your stud. Cedric Benson and Leon Washington do not offer dependable, good enough points, nor do they offer upside. I own these players too, but they are there in case of injury or late season benchings, not realistic SB winning players.
My league counts receptions and return yardage, so Leon Washington is a justifiable play even though Mangini refuses to get him more carries. He always gets me at least ten points at minimum with the potential for 15-30. If I were in my SB this week I'd rather play it safe with Leon and hope for a big reception or kick return for a TD than CJ3 against that stout defense.

The Titans don't really have the scheming or play calling to get CJ any significant yardage IMO.
This is something I've noticed as well. The Titans have a very unimaginative offense and 14 games into the season I haven't seen them do anything to get the ball to Johnson when defenses are keying on him. They don't throw it to him a lot if the running game isn't working. They just kind of give up as was the case last week. I think that significantly impacts Johnson's potential against good (or in the case this week, great) defenses. I think he's a very poor starting option this week. If he was a stronger option in the passing game, I'd view him more favorably in PPR leagues but that really isn't the case and there's no reason to expect it to change in Week 15.Sucks that CJ's last fantasy game of the season may end up being a dog against the Texans.

The Titans don't really have the scheming or play calling to get CJ any significant yardage IMO.
This is something I've noticed as well. The Titans have a very unimaginative offense and 14 games into the season I haven't seen them do anything to get the ball to Johnson when defenses are keying on him. They don't throw it to him a lot if the running game isn't working. They just kind of give up as was the case last week. I think that significantly impacts Johnson's potential against good (or in the case this week, great) defenses. I think he's a very poor starting option this week. If he was a stronger option in the passing game, I'd view him more favorably in PPR leagues but that really isn't the case and there's no reason to expect it to change in Week 15.Sucks that CJ's last fantasy game of the season may end up being a dog against the Texans.
I agree. The Titan offense has no imagination. I am sitting CJ this week.Can't decide at the moment if I am starting T. Choice, B. Jacobs/Ward or J. Stewart but one of these guys will be in for CJ.

Alot of comments here about having an alternate...so I'll hijack with a thinly veiled WDIS using some possible time-sharing RBs as alternatives...do you like any of these guys over CJohnson?Dom Rhodes @JAXT. Choice vBALD. Ward vCARJon Stewart @NYG
Not really a WDIS thread. It was intended to be a discussion on how CJ will do against the Pittsburgh D.

I will be starting Chris Johnson this week, but likely benching Lendale White. I might have considered benching CJ if I had reasonable alternatives, which I do not. However, I will be seriously considering sitting Lendale in favor of Jamal Lewis or P.J. Pope (pending any news that may indicate Pope is starting over Bell).

Chris Johnson will be on my bench this week. I carried good depth at the RB position all year. Westbrook, T. Jones, MJD, and Johnson. I was seriously considering shopping one of the 4 but I knew I would need to have one of them for the flex position if I made it to the championship and had to bench Johnson. I think the loss of Haynesworth puts this game heavily in Pitts favor and Tenn has not shown the ability to play well when they have gotten behind.

I am benching him for Pierre Thomas. Seems like a no brainer which probably means that it will backfire.

Benching him in favor of Forte, Tomlinson and Bush.

Oops... Back in the lineup I think. Only other options are Stewart and Choice.

Users who are viewing this thread