What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Christine Michael (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back on board! Picked up Michael in the 11th round of a redraft last night, in the Denard Robinson-Charles Sims-Dion Lewis range.

Could be this year's CJ Anderson... but unfortunately could have to wait to week 10 or so to find out.

I keep coming back in here looking for some actual news on michael and only find bickering be a bunch of people who have no clue how this will turn out for him this year.

Don't over complicate his guys. You have a roster spot to burn for a month or so at the end of your bench? Add michael. A lottery ticket. If he catches fire you're money if he doesn't you drop him. Easy peasy.

I'd like to hear how he's been in practice last few days. Any Cowboys fans in here? Any insight?
Disagree here -- he just got traded and by all accounts he isn't exactly a quick study. I think that he's likely a wasted pick if you're in a short bench league where you'll need to make a decision in a month when bye weeks start to hit. I wouldn't expect much until the second half of the season, personally, and thus see him as a redraft option only if you have very deep benches. For me, most of his value is as a deep dynasty lottery ticket.

CM is the most polarizing player I've seen for a while on this board. I suppose it's pretty simple. If you have the roster space and he's still on your WW, pick him up and drop someone who's highly unlikely to play for your team. Just understand that it may be a while to see how this pans out, and the temptation to drop him will increase when injuries and other factors start to affect your team. This isn't like Gurley, who will be a waste of roster space for a while but we feel more confident will produce once he's in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meanwhile...

(USA Today) Seattle Seahawks RB Fred Jackson ran with the starting offense Monday, Sept. 7, in place of RB Marshawn Lynch, who was tending to a personal matter. Head coach Pete Carroll said Jackson picked up the offense effortlessly and that Jackson will "play a lot" in the Week 1 opener against the St. Louis Rams. Jackson will step into the role of former RB Robert Turbin. Carroll sees Jackson having a key role in third-down situations, both blocking and receiving.
You desperation is obvious and a little sad.
It's not relevant that Jackson is able to pick up the offense in about a week or 2 and Michael couldn't in 2+ years? Especially now that he's going to a new offense and will have to learn that?
It's been about blocking more than picking up the offense. Fred Jackson is a great pass blocker, it's as simple as that. Keep in mind the Seahawks tend to rotate in a pass blocker/catcher on obvious passing situations so it may not have been about knowing the offense as still being able to trust him in passing downs. Just like has been postulated before on who (between Turbin and Michael) would get early down work.

That said, it's certainly possible Michael couldn't nail down the offense either. There certainly seem to be some rocks in his head...

I keep coming back in here looking for some actual news on michael and only find bickering be a bunch of people who have no clue how this will turn out for him this year.

Don't over complicate his guys. You have a roster spot to burn for a month or so at the end of your bench? Add michael. A lottery ticket. If he catches fire you're money if he doesn't you drop him. Easy peasy.

I'd like to hear how he's been in practice last few days. Any Cowboys fans in here? Any insight?
Disagree here -- he just got traded and by all accounts he isn't exactly a quick study. I think that he's likely a wasted pick if you're in a short bench league where you'll need to make a decision in a month when bye weeks start to hit. I wouldn't expect much until the second half of the season, personally, and thus see him as a redraft option only if you have very deep benches. For me, most of his value is as a deep dynasty lottery ticket.
I'm more on the Pro-side, but agree here. It's going to take a while for Michael's chance. How many people dropped CJA last year before he blew up? Or OBJ?

I'm more on the Pro-side, but agree here. It's going to take a while for Michael's chance. How many people dropped CJA last year before he blew up? Or OBJ?
Unless he's injured or cut, I'm not dropping him.

This thread has really gotten into a state of stasis. At this point, the people who don't like him (or were unable to pick him up) are hell bent on proving why he won't succeed. Truth is, his track record and history is prologue but does not necessarily project to be his future. In nearly every case Michael is either the last or 2nd last bench spot on a roster. All of those spots are lottery tickets. With Michael that ticket was purchased in an environment in which he now plays for a team with:

1. A top 3 OL in the league
  2. A team who is replacing the leading rusher in the NFL from a season ago who gained `1,845 yards
  3. A team with no "proven" rb talent in front of him, whose current talent have serious question marks in relation to reliability both on/off the field
  4. A team who after all off-season and pre-season training decided they needed another rb, implying they are unsure of what they currently have
  5. A team who still hasn't named a starter, implying once again that they are unsure of what they currently have
As far as lottery tickets go that one has at least several variables that, if cashed, could pay off huge. For most 15th or 16th spots on a rosters that's about as good as you hope for.

biju said:
jurb26 said:
Bazinga! said:
BigSteelThrill said:
Meanwhile...

(USA Today) Seattle Seahawks RB Fred Jackson ran with the starting offense Monday, Sept. 7, in place of RB Marshawn Lynch, who was tending to a personal matter. Head coach Pete Carroll said Jackson picked up the offense effortlessly and that Jackson will "play a lot" in the Week 1 opener against the St. Louis Rams. Jackson will step into the role of former RB Robert Turbin. Carroll sees Jackson having a key role in third-down situations, both blocking and receiving.
It's not relevant that Jackson is able to pick up the offense in about a week or 2 and Michael couldn't in 2+ years? Especially now that he's going to a new offense and will have to learn that?
It's been about blocking more than picking up the offense. Fred Jackson is a great pass blocker, it's as simple as that. Keep in mind the Seahawks tend to rotate in a pass blocker/catcher on obvious passing situations so it may not have been about knowing the offense as still being able to trust him in passing downs. Just like has been postulated before on who (between Turbin and Michael) would get early down work.

That said, it's certainly possible Michael couldn't nail down the offense either. There certainly seem to be some rocks in his head...
Thanks for the reminder that no matter how talented a runner u are, if u get ur QB killed......hopefully he can improve in this area. Tony is precious goods.

Pretty much why DMC still has a job. That and pass catching.

biju said:
jurb26 said:
Bazinga! said:
BigSteelThrill said:
Meanwhile...

Reports have come out since Sea traded him and they say it was about more than just blocking. They state his blocking, consistency and ball security where all issues. As I understand it, the consistency part was largely about the playbook, understanding his role and responsibility. The RB coach rambled about his ball security more than anything. Either way, it wasn't just a blocking thing.

What Seattle thinks or believes is kinda worthless info.. Good to know, is about it.

Whats important is what Dallas believes / hopes to see / is watching for..

This is a different scheme and/or a much better situation for CMike.. fwiw: Seattle still provided actual game time..

If ya wanna knock him more? Wait until hes active w/o a carry! Things are slightly positive for CMike holders for now...

I have CM in 2 leagues, so I'm definitely in on the "lottery ticket" angle but, as a former TRich owner in 3 leagues (up until about a month ago when I finally cut bait in the last 2 dynasty leagues), the fact that the team that drafted him decided to let him go for beans when there was a chance he could have a significant role in their offense sure does stink to high heaven. My TRich Bust Radar is definitely beeping.

I have CM in 2 leagues, so I'm definitely in on the "lottery ticket" angle but, as a former TRich owner in 3 leagues (up until about a month ago when I finally cut bait in the last 2 dynasty leagues), the fact that the team that drafted him decided to let him go for beans when there was a chance he could have a significant role in their offense sure does stink to high heaven. My TRich Bust Radar is definitely beeping.
Yeah I would say CMike is hanging on by the skin of his teeth as far as any roster additions.

Days active, and snap counts should explain progress soon...

This thread has really gotten into a state of stasis. At this point, the people who don't like him (or were unable to pick him up) are hell bent on proving why he won't succeed. Truth is, his track record and history is prologue but does not necessarily project to be his future. In nearly every case Michael is either the last bench spot. All of those spots are lottery tickets. With Michael that ticket was purchased in an environment in which he now plays for a team with:

1. A top 3 OL in the league
  2. A team who is replacing the leading rusher in the NFL from a season ago who gained `1,845 yards
  3. A team with no "proven" rb talent in front of him, whose current talent have serious question marks in relation to reliability both on/off the field
  4. A team who after all off-season and pre-season training decided they needed another rb, implying they are unsure of what they currently have
  5. A team who still hasn't named a starter, implying once again that they are unsure of what they currently have
As far as lottery tickets go that one has at least several variables that, if cashed, could pay off huge. For most 15th or 16th spots on a rosters that about as good as you hope for.
#4.

Anyone who ignores this point is just wishing for CMike not to succeed. There's nothing more telling than that.

i think SEA opinion and value placed on CM is very germane to this conversation...

if I were foolish enough to try and summarize 85 pages in simple bullet points, there are three factors that seem to be in play

1) CM physically, and to a lesser extent mentally (since the later is more nebulous to quantify)

2) what SEA thought of him... both in terms of draft slot, time on roster, usage on roster and roster moves in the past couple of weeks being the most recent data point

3) what DAL thinks of him (what they paid) and future weeks what is said, usage in practice and ultimately game time. Opportunity, by definition, is future tense and therefore unknowable

it is intellectually disingenuous to ignore any of these things, but we place an emphasis/bias on what we hope will happen... and literally we each are placing a bet on our opinion, a really long slow bet, sometimes lasts for years

I only have him in a couple redrafts and actually dropped him in one short bench league since I needed a D (and didn't want to drop Bell or Vereen in PPR, I choose to carry 4 RBs and 6 WRs on a 14 player roster). He's a handcuff in one, and a flier in another. So that is one more data point

This thread has really gotten into a state of stasis. At this point, the people who don't like him (or were unable to pick him up) are hell bent on proving why he won't succeed. Truth is, his track record and history is prologue but does not necessarily project to be his future. In nearly every case Michael is either the last bench spot. All of those spots are lottery tickets. With Michael that ticket was purchased in an environment in which he now plays for a team with:

• A top 3 OL in the league
  • A team who is replacing the leading rusher in the NFL from a season ago who gained `1,845 yards
  • A team with no "proven" rb talent in front of him, whose current talent have serious question marks in relation to reliability both on/off the field
  • A team who after all off-season and pre-season training decided they needed another rb, implying they are unsure of what they currently have
  • A team who still hasn't named a starter, implying once again that they are unsure of what they currently have
As far as lottery tickets go that one has at least several variables that, if cashed, could pay off huge. For most 15th or 16th spots on a rosters that about as good as you hope for.
#4.

Anyone who ignores this point is just wishing for CMike not to succeed. There's nothing more telling than that.
It's telling re: Dallas' thoughts on Randle, McFadden, and / or Dunbar. It doesn't really say much of anything about Michael himself other than they were willing to take a cheap flyer.

I find it quite odd that so many are able to tell us with a high level of certianty that CM's talent is "proven" and obvious on the field. They will site his on field performance and 4.9 YPA as evidence of this. Yet, Randle has 2x the carries, 5 TDs to CM's 0 and nearly the same YPA at 4.8. Despite that, these same people will say he is "unproven", terrible or whatever.

I find it quite odd that so many are able to tell us with a high level of certianty that CM's talent is "proven" and obvious on the field. They will site his on field performance and 4.9 YPA as evidence of this. Yet, Randle has 2x the carries, 5 TDs to CM's 0 and nearly the same YPA at 4.8. Despite that, these same people will say he is "unproven", terrible or whatever.
At least they're moving in the right direction. A little over a year ago he was = Peterson, better than Lynch, a sure thing, the best overall player (not just RB) in his draft class, etc.

i think SEA opinion and value placed on CM is very germane to this conversation...

if I were foolish enough to try and summarize 85 pages in simple bullet points, there are three factors that seem to be in play

1) CM physically, and to a lesser extent mentally (since the later is more nebulous to quantify)

2) what SEA thought of him... both in terms of draft slot, time on roster, usage on roster and roster moves in the past couple of weeks being the most recent data point

3) what DAL thinks of him (what they paid) and future weeks what is said, usage in practice and ultimately game time. Opportunity, by definition, is future tense and therefore unknowable

it is intellectually disingenuous to ignore any of these things, but we place an emphasis/bias on what we hope will happen... and literally we each are placing a bet on our opinion, a really long slow bet, sometimes lasts for years

I only have him in a couple redrafts and actually dropped him in one short bench league since I needed a D (and didn't want to drop Bell or Vereen in PPR, I choose to carry 4 RBs and 6 WRs on a 14 player roster). He's a handcuff in one, and a flier in another. So that is one more data point
Well, look who brought English class to the Michael thread

Anything of substance in this thread? I picked him up in the 17th round of redraft, might drop him just to avoid this thread...

Picked him up for the following reasons:

DMC sucks, regardless of injury, which is coming

Ever see the Randle arrest video? Beyond the fact that he was arrested for shoplifting a fun size bag of skittles - Guy is clearly a moron

Dunbar, c'mon, guy sucks

He gets an opportunity this year, pretty confident in that... If he has talent, he'll be well worth the late round flier, might just have to keep a seat on your bench warm with him, bc if he gets the opty and shines, he'll be gone in a blink.

http://nypost.com/2015/09/10/cowboys-return-to-old-plan-to-keep-tony-romo-healthy/

Seeing Christine michael in his first practice for the Cowboys prompted Garrett to be non-committal about who the starting RB will be vs the Giants in week 1 according to the ny post.

Don't shoot the messenger
That is the NY Post's spin. It is very possible that Garrett not naming a starter has no linkage to Michael, or to seeing him in practice.
Yes sir. Agreed. But it's still interesting.

The guy has shown flashes. What else do you want?

He was one a team that balances innovation with a very conservative approach. They have Beast Mode, are set to win now, don't want players to "lose" the game for them, and brought in the IDEAL backup for everything just stated in Fred Jackson. A versatile back that is solid in all facets of the game and a supreme professional.

Why keep a guy who you need to nurse into his talent and potential when you need to focus on not throwing a ####### pass on the one yard line when you have arguably the best goal line back in the league?

Now, as to Dallas - they are much more flashy. Will certainly take risks, on and off the field, in terms of ability over some braindead play, and some great on field play over braindead off the field immaturity. He is on a great system, where they OBVIOUSLY don't feel that confident in their backs. They went from one of the best backs in the league to guys who were clearly his backups, didn't get much play, but did fairly well in very limited action.

Talent + Opportunity.

The former is up in the air, but he has passed enough of an eye test to think it may really be there.

Opportunity is there for sure, if he has the talent. If he doesn't well, what's really lost? But there's absolutely a chance where there would not be in Seattle.

I don't think it's a bad idea to scoop up Michael at all, but after drafting him back to back years as my "supa sleepa" I simply can't roster the guy. I'm gonna assume Seattle knows what they're doing and hope Run DMC can stay healthy and grab the reigns in Dallas.

Big difference doing it behind Seattle's OL and Dallas's OL

"Christine Michael already feeling comfortable with Cowboys offense"

"“It’s from the same school that Seattle had,” Michael said of the Cowboys’ offense. “There’s a little bit different terminology, but I got it down in just over 72 hours. All I’ve been doing is going to work, coming home and getting into the playbook.”

http://espn.go.com/b...cowboys-offense

Actually, no there isn't. Sea has had a dominant run blocking line as well. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2014

FWIW, this guy IS the def. of a lotto ticket. I would be pretty damn surprised if he has any legit, sustained value this year.

BUT, you don't have that many spots where one guy who we don't know who, just yet, has a real chance to be a star. Championship winning star for a team that has weak #2RB an is pretty stacked elsewhere, or coming on to replace an injury.

He's one of the first guys off my roster, but until someone better presents themselves, in a deeper league especially (12 man, long benches, 17 total players), you never know. This is a chance that can at least pay off rather than a better chance for a chance, but a chance to be mediocre at best.

FWIW, this guy IS the def. of a lotto ticket. I would be pretty damn surprised if he has any legit, sustained value this year.

BUT, you don't have that many spots where one guy who we don't know who, just yet, has a real chance to be a star. Championship winning star for a team that has weak #2RB an is pretty stacked elsewhere, or coming on to replace an injury.

He's one of the first guys off my roster, but until someone better presents themselves, in a deeper league especially (12 man, long benches, 17 total players), you never know. This is a chance that can at least pay off rather than a better chance for a chance, but a chance to be mediocre at best.
He's the ultimate lottery ticket with a very low opportunity cost in redraft.

Worth pointing out re: Seattle letting him walk cheap is that what FF owners want out of him and what an NFL team might want aren't necessarily the same thing. Obviously a 6-7 year career of strong production would be great in both arenas, but an NFL team wouldn't stand to benefit much from a brief hot streak whereas FF teams will have the opportunity to cash out if he pops his value over a 5-6 game stretch this season, regardless of whether or not it lasts in the long haul. His injury history and running style have always scared me a little bit, but if he can flash for a couple months then he'll be worth more than what I paid for him in most of the leagues where I own him. I've always felt that once he gets on the field and strings together a few good games, a lot of people will flip out for him and be hot to acquire him.

Actually, no there isn't. Sea has had a dominant run blocking line as well.http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2014
Based on those stats it appears they are highly driven by being stuffed at the line, getting to the second level, etc. You do realize they have Marshawn right? That Wilson runs the ball off the right end for big gains untouched? That they have just two of their O-line from last year in the same spot?

That O-line is about the only thing I worry about on this team, and it's been 3 years running now. Those FO stats are extremely misleading unless you watch the games. If you think the Dallas and Seattle lines are anywhere near the same level...

Worth pointing out re: Seattle letting him walk cheap is that what FF owners want out of him and what an NFL team might want aren't necessarily the same thing. Obviously a 6-7 year career of strong production would be great in both arenas, but an NFL team wouldn't stand to benefit much from a brief hot streak whereas FF teams will have the opportunity to cash out if he pops his value over a 5-6 game stretch this season, regardless of whether or not it lasts in the long haul. His injury history and running style have always scared me a little bit, but if he can flash for a couple months then he'll be worth more than what I paid for him in most of the leagues where I own him. I've always felt that once he gets on the field and strings together a few good games, a lot of people will flip out for him and be hot to acquire him.
True -- except for the people that paid top 10 RB prices for him at the height of the madness. If he grabs the Dallas job even for a few weeks his value will be through the roof.

What Seattle thinks or believes is kinda worthless info.. Good to know, is about it.

Whats important is what Dallas believes / hopes to see / is watching for..
Seattle knows a lot more about him than Dallas does right now.
No doubt. The real question is how much, if any, does what Seattle knows about Michael matter to us now that he's in Dallas?

The golden rule for RB value is that one looks for a confluence of talent + opportunity + good offense. Let's take them one by one:

1) Talent: It's been debated pretty heavily in here, but there's a whole host of NFL talent evaluators (including his coaches in Seattle) that have stated that Michael has a lot of talent. Can one even find a quote about Michael that claims he doesn't have talent? The knock against him in Seattle was his consistency, not his talent.

2) Opportunity: Organizational concern with a player's consistency level will decrease as team's need at the position increases, so to some extent there is a direct tie to opportunity. Dallas desperately wants to run the ball to take pressure off Romo and extend his career, and Michael's main obstacles to playing time are Joseph Randle and Darren McFadden. McFadden has averaged less than 3.5 YPC since 2011 and is perpetually injured. Randle has about 100 career carries to his name, and he's been a knuckle-head off the field.

Even coming in cold at the last minute, it seems likely to me that Michael will see meaningful snaps at some point this year, whether by "earning" them the hard way, or simply by defaulting into them through the ineffectiveness/injuries of others. If/when Michael finds himself in that position, all the team will likely care about is his ability to get yards and not get Romo killed. They'll worry about his consistency in the offseason when they have a chance to review and address/bolster the position more significantly (via UFA/draft).

3) Good offense: Dallas projects to have a productive offense and a good offensive line. This same situation produced the #1 fantasy RB in the league last year. I don't think anyone questions this part of the equation.

It seems obvious to me that we have the potential makings of a valuable RB situation this year, regardless of what Seattle thinks of Michael. In redraft, Michael is a late-round flyer that has multiple reasonable paths to becoming a starting RB in a productive offense. In dynasty, he's an asset that has a reasonable chance of having a value spike this year. Imagine what his value will be if he is named the starter at some point (likely, IMO), and if he flashes/shows well in the role. Even a single productive game would likely increase his value significantly as the hype becomes "realized." FFBers are always looking to jump on the next big thing early, and there will be plenty of people out there who would view Michael that way even in these modest circumstances. You could likely cash out then for a nice return and completely bypass all the long-term concerns regarding Michael's consistency, etc.

True -- except for the people that paid top 10 RB prices for him at the height of the madness. If he grabs the Dallas job even for a few weeks his value will be through the roof.
WHAAAAAAAAA???

WHAAAAAAAAA???
I never saw any of those blockbuster deals in my leagues that I can recall. His original price was usually a late 1st-early 2nd in the rookie draft, and since the guys who drafted him tended to be big believers, they never made him available for less than that. The idea that people all over the place were paying obscene prices for him is something that his detractors often bring up, but that certainly wasn't the reality in any of my leagues. I don't know what his value peaked at on sites like FBG and DLF. It would be nice if they made historical data available so you could check stuff like this, but I'd guess that ~RB18-20 was the high water mark, and he may yet hit that again. Certainly will if he wins the job and thrives this year.

Now some people may have had him ranked as a top 10 dynasty RB, but that's not the same as paying top 10 dynasty RB prices, which I never personally saw.

I've got him on three teams myself. Once as the #15 rookie pick, once as the #10 rookie pick (extremely RB starved mandatory 2 RB league), and once in a trade (gave mid 1st dev pick + late 1st round rookie pick + Gresham). The latter is probably the steepest price I paid for him, and it's still nowhere near market value for a top 10 dynasty RB. I think a lot of the people who own Michael in dynasty got in pretty cheaply and would definitely consider selling if he explodes this year.

Actually, no there isn't. Sea has had a dominant run blocking line as well.http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2014
Based on those stats it appears they are highly driven by being stuffed at the line, getting to the second level, etc. You do realize they have Marshawn right? That Wilson runs the ball off the right end for big gains untouched? That they have just two of their O-line from last year in the same spot?

That O-line is about the only thing I worry about on this team, and it's been 3 years running now. Those FO stats are extremely misleading unless you watch the games. If you think the Dallas and Seattle lines are anywhere near the same level...
Did you even read the article? It clearly says QB numbers are NOT included. So, your Wilson runs off the right side don't matter. The power ranking is the only that does.. Which they explain why. The stuff has no more relevance than the other categories.

Also from the article;

"A team with a high ranking in Adjusted Line Yards but a low ranking in Open Field Yards is heavily dependent on its offensive line to make the running game work. A team with a low ranking in Adjusted Line Yards but a high ranking in Open Field Yards is heavily dependent on its running back breaking long runs to make the running game work."

If your going to post condescending things like "You do realize they have Marshawn right?". You could at least fully understand what you're commenting on first.

True. One concern I have with Randle (one of them) is that say he does well in almost everything.... He still doesn't strike me as a great short yardage or goal line back, no matter how well he does behind that line. Same goes for McFadden. I could see Dallas using Michael in that role to start and maybe that was one primary purpose in getting him (aside from insurance and depth which they mentioned). Regardless of how the season goes for Randle, I could see that being one specific purpose the Cowboys had in mind. If and when he gets in I think that's where we'll see him first.

So seeing this as how Linehan has had past offenses, I could see this being like Morris/Bell (Randle) and Bush/KSmith (McFadden), then they had Leshoure at some point. So it could be a split backfield like that. Or it could develop into what Linehan has had in the past, the big backs who do it all - Steven Jackson, Ronnie Brown, and Michael Bennett - though that might not happen until next year.

http://nypost.com/2015/09/10/cowboys-return-to-old-plan-to-keep-tony-romo-healthy/

Seeing Christine michael in his first practice for the Cowboys prompted Garrett to be non-committal about who the starting RB will be vs the Giants in week 1 according to the ny post.

I doubt it but ... If Michael is active this week it says a lot about what the Cowboys saw in his few practices.

I seriously doubt it but ... If he is active and getting carries, it's safe to drop the other 3 .

There is a reason Dallas traded for him ... It's because despite what they may say publicly , they are not comfortable with their RBs

WHAAAAAAAAA???
EBF can spout as much anecdotal evidence to the contrary as he wants -- but a quick search of the dynasty trade threads on here, as well as startup ADP from during the brief Lynch holdout will give you the true picture of where his value was a little over a year ago. EBF personally had him at RB6 despite the back-pedaling now.

I doubt it but ... If Michael is active this week it says a lot about what the Cowboys saw in his few practices.

I seriously doubt it but ... If he is active and getting carries, it's safe to drop the other 3 .

There is a reason Dallas traded for him ... It's because despite what they may say publicly , they are not comfortable with their RBs
This is how I'm interpreting the situation... which admittedly doesn't mean a hill of beans.

But, I'm very curious to see how this plays out, and I'll be holding Michael in the meantime.

WHAAAAAAAAA???
EBF can spout as much anecdotal evidence to the contrary as he wants -- but a quick search of the dynasty trade threads on here, as well as startup ADP from during the brief Lynch holdout will give you the true picture of where his value was a little over a year ago. EBF personally had him at RB6 despite the back-pedaling now.
I can rank a guy at RB1, but that doesn't mean I ever paid that price for him. I never paid anything close to RB6 prices for Michael. That's not backpedaling. It's a fact. I listed above the only leagues where I've ever owned him. If you see a price there that equates to RB6, let me know. I never saw anyone in my leagues pay anything close to RB6 prices for Michael. AFAIK that was never his market value. Personally, most of the offers that I've sent over the years were "nibbles" that tried to get him without giving up anything too precious in return. I think I've offered random naked draft picks for him and I know I offered Larry Fitz straight up at one point. Not exactly earth-shattering overpays.

I did one startup last year and actually passed on him in the 5th-6th round area for...*gulp*...Trent Richardson.

People who want to run with the "Michael was grossly overvalued" narrative can get very creative in their thinking. As I probably mentioned before, isolating the small minority of the population who is highest on a player and then using that population to "prove" that the player's general market value is horribly inflated is innately problematic insofar as it takes "extremists" and tries to generalize their opinions to everybody else. All you have to do is scour the first few pages of this thread to see plainly that Michael skeptics have always been as numerous (if not more so) than the believers.

It's a shame that sites like DLF and FBG don't archive their staff dynasty rankings so that you can just bring up a graph and see the precise moment where his value peaked and what it was at that time, but at any rate the idea that he was unanimously valued as an elite asset has little grounding in reality. IIRC his startup ADP peaked around the 4th-5th round of 12 team leagues and never got much higher. Those are not "sure thing" prices. In most startups, everything outside the first 2-3 rounds is just a different flavor of maybe (or an old player with problematic longevity).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread