What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cincinnati at Pittsburgh (1 Viewer)

Bengals facing a huge game next week at home vs. a Vikings team that's been playing better lately.

If Cincy loses its next two (MIN, BAL) and the Ravens and Dolphins both win out, Cincy is out of the playoffs in a three-way tie at 10-6. Ravens would win the North by sweeping the head-to-head and Dolphins would take the #6, also based on head-to-head win over Cincy.

Though I do think it's unlikely Baltimore sweeps the next 3 (@DET, NE, @CIN), but I do think Miami (@BUF, NYJ) wins its next 2 and makes the playoffs.

I realize it's mostly just me...but calling a 16 point deficit "two possesion" is garbage. The conversion rate on a 2 point try is only about 50%. Converting twice in a row then is only 25%. "Two possession" is therefore wrong 75% of the time. IE: garbage to think of it as two possession when 75% of the time it's at least 3 possessions behind.

Dude....it was a vicious un-necessary hit with the crown to a gys jaw. There's no need for it, period. Never has been, and never will be. It was dirty and will bring a fine. period
I used to applaud Hines Ward for doing similar as did a lot of other NFL media types. I'm just saying a few years ago Rene it was different but i understand and respect your opinion and right to hate that play, it clearly is against the nowadays rules. It is isn't it?
TBH MOP, there's a lot going on in the NFL today that I don't understand. I know the rules and what is/isn't a penalty under the current rules better than almost anyone, but I'm still confused as hell on what gets called/doesn't get called regarding PI. Defenders have a right to a space, and they should also have a right to a clear and established path. All too often WR's initiate contact and still get the call. And the hits to the "head or neck area" of QBs and defenseless receivers are simply too subjective. Those need to be changed to head or neck period and made reviewable.

It was different a few years ago. There were more cheap shots then. Cheap shots didn't make things better though- just more consistant. The NFL is trying to get rid of un-necessary cheap shots, they're just doing a poor job of re-writing the rules, and a worse job of applying those rules consistantly. I think things will eventually settle back out- they will figure it out, but we're all going to be frustrated for 2 or 3 more season as they work on it.
Nice post back, thanks.

Cincy DST playing much better in the second half. Take back the 1 yard field and return for Pitt and this game looks a lot different......

It's a mistake to consider 16 points two possession instead of 3, but not necessarily a bad choice to go for the TD from the 13.

See......still a "2 possession" game

Marvin Lewis is a genius when it comes to clock management. he and Daulton make a great team when it comes to understanding the clock.

The Bungles secondary is going to be a tasty matchup next week. Kirkpatrick just took one of those awkward steps that usually winds up being an ACL or Achilles type injury.

Marvin Lewis is a genius when it comes to clock management. he and Daulton make a great team when it comes to understanding the clock.
Disagree. Coaches wait too long to use timeouts when down two scores. Better off getting the ball back with 5 minutes and no timeouts than at 3 minutes with all three of them. You save a LOT more time using them on defense as well. DOwn two scores, you have to kick onsides- if everything goes perfectly, you'll never be on defense again.

The Bungles secondary is going to be a tasty matchup next week. Kirkpatrick just took one of those awkward steps that usually winds up being an ACL or Achilles type injury.
I really respect Kirkpatrick's toughness tonight. He tore an ACL and his Achilles and is still out there. Big respect, Dre. :thumbup:

It wasn't long ago when WRs didn't plead for a flag after every incompletion. They should go back to that.
The 1970's?
It's gotten really really bad as of late. A 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty would put a stop to this. I understand a couple of times a game here n there on close plays but these whiny babies are asking for it every time there is an incompletion. Reminds me of the NBA when things were bad a few years back and they put a stop to it, same needs to happen in the NFL.

Disagree. Coaches wait too long to use timeouts when down two scores. Better off getting the ball back with 5 minutes and no timeouts than at 3 minutes with all three of them. You save a LOT more time using them on defense as well. DOwn two scores, you have to kick onsides- if everything goes perfectly, you'll never be on defense again.
At 2nd and 4??? lol. How did that work out Marvin?

You obviously don't get it. When losing, timeouts are more valuable on DEFENSE. They got the ball back with 4+ minutes to play. Either way your odds suck. It really doesn't matter if you spend them at 1 minute or 4 minutes- what matters is using them while on DEFENSE. Down two scores with less than five to play, you need a stop, a score, and then a successful on side kick. You don't save your timeouts at that point- because assuming the stop, you'll get more offensive plays, and a better chance of scoring twice, with 40 more seconds on the clock then with one more timeout. If you get the score and onside kick, you might not get to be on defense again.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a mistake to consider 16 points two possession instead of 3, but not necessarily a bad choice to go for the TD from the 13.

:no:

If you are down by 16, it is technically a two-possession game, since you are capable of tying the game with only two possessions.

:no:

If you are down by 16, it is technically a two-possession game, since you are capable of tying the game with only two possessions.
capable <> likely. In this case, it's highly UNlikely. Down 16, you still go for 2, but should operate under the assumption you're down 3 scores, because 75% of the time, you are. Fourth and 2 from the 10? go for it. Fourth and 15 from the 30? Kick the FG.

I'm always amazed at how conservative NFL coaches are most of the time, yet still act like 16 is "two scores". IMO, that's just stupid.

It all depends on how much time is left.

My beef is when teams go for 2 too soon. Cleveland going for 2 last week when they went up 12-0 literally cost them the game.

You obviously don't get it. When losing, timeouts are more valuable on DEFENSE. They got the ball back with 4+ minutes to play. Either way your odds suck. It really doesn't matter if you spend them at 1 minute or 4 minutes- what matters is using them while on DEFENSE. Down two scores with less than five to play, you need a stop, a score, and then a successful on side kick. You don't save your timeouts at that point- because assuming the stop, you'll get more offensive plays, and a better chance of scoring twice, with 40 more seconds on the clock then with one more timeout. If you get the score and onside kick, you might not get to be on defense again.
of course you save them on defense, duh. nobody said otherwise. the point is you don't start using them with 5 minutes left when the odds of a new set of downs (2nd and 4) are against you. there goes your to's.

and what about the no-huddle? when should that have started? this team played with urgency way too late to begin with. and then did it all wrong. pathetic.

how bout dalton? twice he didn't get a play off because he was too dumb to look at the clock.

of course you save them on defense, duh. nobody said otherwise. the point is you don't start using them with 5 minutes left when the odds of a new set of downs (2nd and 4) are against you. there goes your to's.

and what about the no-huddle? when should that have started? this team played with urgency way too late to begin with. and then did it all wrong. pathetic.

how bout dalton? twice he didn't get a play off because he was too dumb to look at the clock.
Are you suggesting that using them HELPS the other team convert the set of downs?

My assumption would be that you need to stop them....period. Whether you call TO on 2nd and 4 or 2nd and 10 is immaterial- YOU NEED A STOP EITHER WAY, and you need to save 40 seconds either way. What happens if you do get the stop from 2nd and 4? Then you end up NOT using the TO on defense at all, and you lessen it's value

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you suggesting that using them HELPS the other team convert the set of downs?

My assumption would be that you need to stop them....period. Whether you call TO on 2nd and 4 or 2nd and 10 is immaterial- YOU NEED A STOP EITHER WAY, and you need to save 40 seconds either way. What happens if you do get the stop from 2nd and 4? Then you end up NOT using the TO on defense at all, and you lessen it's value
you start using them when your percentages are higher than a 2nd and 4. most first downs don't go for 6, got to wait for the next series, there was still a lot of time.

how bout your boy Dalton at the end of the 3rd with the ball at the 1. doesn't get it off and they don't score for another minute into the 4th. and they didn't run a no-huddle after getting stopped. hilarious. marv had the entire break to figure out another play if they don't score on the first one. so stupid. no forethought.

you start using them when your percentages are higher than a 2nd and 4. most first downs don't go for 6, got to wait for the next series, there was still a lot of time.
Why does it matter? It's second and 4 with 5:00 left. You can either let it tick down to 4:20 or call TO. Now they convert the first down. You can either let it tick down to 3:30 or call the second TO at 4:50. Now they get six yards, second and 4 again. You can either let it tick down to 2:40 or call the third TO at 4:40.

In the end it may not matter, depending on what happens with timing in the 2:40 scenario, but I can't see any way that three TOs will save you more time if you take them later than they would have if you took them sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread