What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cincinnati Bengals Draft Thread (1 Viewer)

Bengals take CB Johnathan Joeseph from South Carolina.

Thoughts Bengals fans/South Carolina football followers? Personally I like taking a corner here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bengals take CB Johnathan Joeseph from South Carolina.

Thoughts Bengals fans/South Carolina football followers? Personally I like taking a corner here.
Nice pick. 4.31 speed. It is an area of need with James getting long in the tooth. Sporting News had him the #1 CB.

Not necessarily a sexy pick, but we didn't have to draft for need and this is pretty good value at this spot.

As mentioned above, James is 32 years old. Also, our secondary was stretched pretty thin last year with injuries. It was mainly a problem with our safeties, but it affected our depth at CB as well.

Andrew Whitworth - OT, LSU

I'm guessing that he's moved to RT and maybe groomed to be Big Willie's replacement. From the various scouting reports I've read on him, he lacks the mobility and athleticism to make it at LT in the NFL.

Andrew Whitworth - OT, LSU

I'm guessing that he's moved to RT and maybe groomed to be Big Willie's replacement. From the various scouting reports I've read on him, he lacks the mobility and athleticism to make it at LT in the NFL.
Word is, Alexander luvs him. Heard the Bengals thought they might get him in the third, but this is a good indication of how much they wanted him.Probably not good news for Big Willie retiring as a Bengal.

What is happening with Leonard Pope? Why did we pass on him and why is he slipping so far?
Predraft rumors were that the Bengals thought that David Thomas, Tony Scheffler (gone), Ryan Hamby, and Matt Henshaw were good fits and could be had in the third or later.It'd be nice if Ko Simpson keeps sliding. Mark Anderson or a similar player would be a nice third round addition as well.

Frostee Rucker: DE, USC

Rucker is a 'tweener LB/DE (6-4, 240) with good ability to collapse the pocket, but needs to improve against the run. This could be an indication of Marvin's desire to switch to (or least use more frequently) the 3-4 defense.

More on Whitworth

BENGALS NOTEBOOK

Second pick’s interview impressed coaches

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Bill Rabinowitz

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

CINCINNATI — The question Bengals coaches posed to Andrew Whitworth at the NFL combine was about blocking different types of pass-rushers.

They were blown away by the detailed answer the LSU offensive tackle gave.

"He did better than I could have," Bengals offensive-line coach Paul Alexander said.

"This kid," offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski added, "probably had the most impressive interview that I’ve had in 15 years in terms of his knowledge and understanding of his position."

It was more than that answer that influenced Cincinnati to make Whitworth their second-round pick (55 th overall) in the NFL draft yesterday. They loved his durability, never having missed a game or practice because of injury. They loved his production, not having allowed a sack in his final 22 games. They loved his leadership abilities. They loved his size (6 feet 7, 334 pounds) and performance in workout drills.

"We didn’t think coming in today we’d probably draft an offensive lineman high, but that’s how the draft goes," Alexander said. "Everyone says you take the best player available, and there was a considerable margin between him and the next guy, so you’ve got to do it."

The pick makes sense considering four of Cincinnati’s five offensive linemen are unsigned after 2006, including left tackle Levi Jones and right tackle Willie Anderson.

Asked what Whitworth’s selection might mean for Jones and Anderson, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis replied, "It doesn’t mean anything. It means we have another guy."

Whitworth played left tackle at LSU, but some draft analysts, questioning his quickness, believe his future is at right tackle. Alexander said Whitworth also could play guard.

"As far as power, speed and strength, I really have all those assets, as well as long arms," Whitworth said. "If I can improve my technique to where it should be, I should be a very effective player."

Sounds like Whitworth is a good pick. The Bengals have a long tradition of picking good O lineman. My this just be another in the history of good lineman. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread