What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clash Royale- New Time Waster (1 Viewer)

Lots of guys came in last night. Awesome. Just remember, only accept people if you recognize them or use ffa in comment. Dont think we need to go randoms yet. People like the game so far and others will get it eventually. We should be able to fill 50 with fbgs and friends of fbgs. 

Playing against people you know is the best feature by far. 
This just gave me an idea. Since its the March madness season, we could easily set up our own tournament. We would need to figure out how to deal with higher level cards vs lower level, but we can hash out the details if others are interested. 

Thoughts?

Ultimately this game is going to struggle. If simply playing can't progress you like clash the clash people won't adopt it. They need to find a way to break that gem for box thing. It's a fun concept otherwise. Love the live aspect to it. 

Ultimately this game is going to struggle. If simply playing can't progress you like clash the clash people won't adopt it. They need to find a way to break that gem for box thing. It's a fun concept otherwise. Love the live aspect to it. 
Are your fpc buddies playing. 

It will be interesting to see if they get the money they are looking for initially. If they dont, I can see them tweaking things. 

It's fun but the gems to open chest model is dumb.
I'm sure Supercell has a room full of accountants & number crunchers that devise the best way to monetize their free games.  You got to hand it to the developers that can survive in a day and age where free games are the expectation.

I'm sure Supercell has a room full of accountants & number crunchers that devise the best way to monetize their free games.  You got to hand it to the developers that can survive in a day and age where free games are the expectation.
Can I go back to the day when games were fiddy bucks?

Are your fpc buddies playing. 

It will be interesting to see if they get the money they are looking for initially. If they dont, I can see them tweaking things. 
Yes. It's absolutely a riot to play while on discord. I was dying laughing 

They have data for two months of beta in many countries so I am sure they know how much people will pay under the gem/chest model and are OK with it.

They tweaked a lot of the cards, the only big change was that it used to cost gold to fight.

Playing more gets you trophies (when you win), after a certain amount of trophies you move up to the next level of arena. Higher arenas pay out better chests. So there is still a reason to keep playing. The hidden hook is that you'll be facing better opponents in higher arenas thus the urge to spend those gems to get better chests will go up. 

I just figured out about the higher level arenas paying out better chests. 

Any reason to keep attacking if all chest spots are full?  Have three silver, one opening, and a gold in que.  Got the Prince....he kicks butt.  Any way to get gold other than chests?

Any reason to keep attacking if all chest spots are full?  Have three silver, one opening, and a gold in que.  Got the Prince....he kicks butt.  Any way to get gold other than chests?
You can attack for cups. 

You can get gold by donating cards

Several articles said don't raise cup level

Not lvl 3 yet
Up to you. I would agree not to push too much. Here is what happens. Every time you move up in arena levels, more cards are available. The more cards you have, the tougher it becomes getting the cards you want/need. 

Up to you. I would agree not to push too much. Here is what happens. Every time you move up in arena levels, more cards are available. The more cards you have, the tougher it becomes getting the cards you want/need. 
Yeah, I'm going to stock up on cards.  Already hurting for gold, but I'll stay in goblin for a bit and max things up before progressing.

Upgrade mini pekka or Knight?

Can't believe I'm considering downloading this, but is there a Reddit article or something explaining the game mechanics and early game strategy?

Seems like this game is far too dependent on who has the highest total of giant/prince levels.  Soon as I see someone is +1 on both those I know I'm RIP.  

I'm also seemingly the only person that doesn't have the tall wallbreaker thing or the witch.  But my stupid knight is like level 50 so I have that going for me.

I've had some success dropping the baby dragon and all of the range shot things and having a variety of spammy defense type troops, wait for the right moment and make a giant/prince push.  

This doesn't however leave me much for late game if the cards run all spam.

Several articles said don't raise cup level

Not lvl 3 yet
This is leading to me seeing occasionally people "trophy dropping" which is pretty damn stupid.  They start a match and don't drop any troops and disconnect, and I guess repeat the process over and over.

Seems like this game is far too dependent on who has the highest total of giant/prince levels.  Soon as I see someone is +1 on both those I know I'm RIP.  

I'm also seemingly the only person that doesn't have the tall wallbreaker thing or the witch.  But my stupid knight is like level 50 so I have that going for me.

I've had some success dropping the baby dragon and all of the range shot things and having a variety of spammy defense type troops, wait for the right moment and make a giant/prince push.  

This doesn't however leave me much for late game if the cards run all spam.
then use that lvl 50 knight

This is leading to me seeing occasionally people "trophy dropping" which is pretty damn stupid.  They start a match and don't drop any troops and disconnect, and I guess repeat the process over and over.
I do this. Although, I did bump up past 800 yesterday to get more cards in each chest.

Really liking this game tbh. I may drop some coin to support it. I said this in the game, but I have very little desire to play COC anymore. 

I do this. Although, I did bump up past 800 yesterday to get more cards in each chest.
Yeap, I did as well when I wanted to stay in Arena 1.  Going up Arenas gives you more cards in your chests, but it also allows more cards to be drawn.  So yes, you get more access to cards, but your ability to lvl cards is impeded. 

then use that lvl 50 knight
Problem is valk has far more value.  Can deal splash and isn't that far behind on dps.  A valk+spam can deal with a rush.  I don't see a great need for a troop that can't shoot at air troops and has nothing really special about it otherwise.  

Really liking this game tbh. I may drop some coin to support it. I said this in the game, but I have very little desire to play COC anymore. 
I stopped playing and eventually uninstalled COC a long time ago.

Right now- Star Wars Heroes and now Clash Royale are the games that get my attention with Boom Beach and Madden (in that order) when I exhaust Star Wars and Clash Royale out.

I don't think people will play this game as long as they play Clash Of Clans, but I do think Supercell will get more money per person out of this game than C of C. The card collecting/Pokemon/Magic is going to bring in tons of cash. "Just one more pack" is the worst thing I can hear from my kids (or from myself back in the day).

From reddit it seems like the right way to handle donations is to have people req for stuff you can fill with common cards nobody needs, like skeletons (maybe? not sure what the general consensus trash troop is).  can get lots of xp and gold that way rather than people req giants and prince all the time.  I've got 10000000 knight cards for example and can't find a use for them, of course eventually you can't donate anymore for a day so that sucks.

I don't think people will play this game as long as they play Clash Of Clans, but I do think Supercell will get more money per person out of this game than C of C. The card collecting/Pokemon/Magic is going to bring in tons of cash. "Just one more pack" is the worst thing I can hear from my kids (or from myself back in the day).
The name of the game is making money. I am sure it costs them more money to have more free players. I am thinking the time limits they built in with the chest is a way to edge out people wasting time for free on there and encourage people to pay money as well.

There is a balance to try to get for these games to be playable as free so people play them but somehow get you to pay money. An interesting balance to try to get with all of these games. My business mind always finds how developers approach that with interest.

From reddit it seems like the right way to handle donations is to have people req for stuff you can fill with common cards nobody needs, like skeletons (maybe? not sure what the general consensus trash troop is).  can get lots of xp and gold that way rather than people req giants and prince all the time.  I've got 10000000 knight cards for example and can't find a use for them, of course eventually you can't donate anymore for a day so that sucks.
I watched two videos yesterday showing skeletons being pretty useful as cheap distraction for larger incoming troops. Still having a hard time figuring out value of troops (other than The Prince, I hate that *******).

I watched two videos yesterday showing skeletons being pretty useful as cheap distraction for larger incoming troops. Still having a hard time figuring out value of troops (other than The Prince, I hate that *******).
Yea, I was using those to throw in front of guys like the archers, bomber, goblin throwers, etc. The towers will target what is nearest to them so they are cannon fodder to give time to allow for damage from other more expensive troops. The timing is the big issue on it and it can go all to hell with a well placed arrow volley, etc.

Problem is valk has far more value.  Can deal splash and isn't that far behind on dps.  A valk+spam can deal with a rush.  I don't see a great need for a troop that can't shoot at air troops and has nothing really special about it otherwise.  
The knights value is it only cost 3 elixer.  He can take a few hits and is medium speed.  Think of him as a quick training tanking troop.

If you are in the midst of a push & cant wait for a valk or giant to train, drop him quick to prevent the defense from taking out the lower hitpoint troops.

He is also good on defense to distract a dragon, Prince, valk, or pekka for long enough to get some distant troops to assist.

I started today.  Looks like it will take a bit of time to get to Level 3.  Going as "Space Invader".

I still play Boom Beach, but never played COC.  Not that it matters much.

The knights value is it only cost 3 elixer.  He can take a few hits and is medium speed.  Think of him as a quick training tanking troop.

If you are in the midst of a push & cant wait for a valk or giant to train, drop him quick to prevent the defense from taking out the lower hitpoint troops.

He is also good on defense to distract a dragon, Prince, valk, or pekka for long enough to get some distant troops to assist.
I like to use the Knight as a quick way to dispatch ranged units and start a counter-push.  I don't have many options right now though so I have to find a way to use just about everything.

The name of the game is making money. I am sure it costs them more money to have more free players. I am thinking the time limits they built in with the chest is a way to edge out people wasting time for free on there and encourage people to pay money as well.

There is a balance to try to get for these games to be playable as free so people play them but somehow get you to pay money. An interesting balance to try to get with all of these games. My business mind always finds how developers approach that with interest.
Free players often turn into pay players over time if you can keep them around.  I doubt they want to edge out anyone at this point.  They really need to keep the free players in for more than a few days or a week.  I expect there will be tweaks to the timers soon. 

I don't know what they will be, but while the initial push in these is pretty important they can't undergo a quick drop either.  Those players often never come back.

It takes about 20-30 minutes to cap the first play.  I think that's too low, but I obviously don't have access to the data.

Last edited by a moderator:
Free players often turn into pay players over time if you can keep them around.  I doubt they want to edge out anyone at this point.  They really need to keep the free players in for more than a few days or a week.  I expect there will be tweaks to the timers soon. 

I don't know what they will be, but while the initial push in these is pretty important they can't undergo a quick drop either.  Those players often never come back.

It takes about 20-30 minutes to cap the first play.  I think that's too low, but I obviously don't have access to the data.
I agree- I think they need to open up the initial play to really hook the new players. I think for me, I generally like the Super Cell approach to games in as much as playability, not too complicated, graphics are fun and interesting, playfulness of the 'story' of the games, etc. So, I will give anything they do a try. (read an article on them a while back and how they approach their game development- it was an interesting read). I think it was genius for them to tap into the COC but have a whole new fresh game. I think this will be successful for them- it is all a matter of how successful.

Anyone have a tip for stopping goblin spammers? Goblins, goblin huts and minions seem to be the army a lot run with.

Just an idea, clan is huge and pretty active for now.  Why not sort of semi-divide the team into people that req goblins and req skeletons (just an example)?  If you are a skeleton upgrader donate goblins and so forth.  This seems like a decent way to farm eachother for gold since it's not easy to get gold in this game.  While it's nice to get the big card from someone nice I'd like to be able to donate to any request?

Just an idea, clan is huge and pretty active for now.  Why not sort of semi-divide the team into people that req goblins and req skeletons (just an example)?  If you are a skeleton upgrader donate goblins and so forth.  This seems like a decent way to farm eachother for gold since it's not easy to get gold in this game.  While it's nice to get the big card from someone nice I'd like to be able to donate to any request?
Wouldnt be opposed to this, but not yet. I think at this point, if people are willing to give a rare, we need that to make our decks stronger. Why is gold an issue for you. I cant spend it quick enough. I have 2400 gold and nothing to use it on

Wouldnt be opposed to this, but not yet. I think at this point, if people are willing to give a rare, we need that to make our decks stronger. Why is gold an issue for you. I cant spend it quick enough. I have 2400 gold and nothing to use it on
Yeah I'm light on gold.  I got no issue giving nice stuff but I'd rather ask for cheap stuff and be sure everyone could farm the gold/xp from it.  Maybe this isn't the right approach.  

Anyone have a tip for stopping goblin spammers? Goblins, goblin huts and minions seem to be the army a lot run with.
Besides Valk, High hit point troop followed by bomber.  However for the minions you need Archer, minions, spear goblins, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread