What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Classic Nintendo comeback - mini version (1 Viewer)

Used to be able to beat Mario 2 or 3 in like 30 or 45 mins... don't recall. Had it memorized though. Certainly no record but it was fun. 

This will look awful on HDTVs. 
Not if they scale the picture down to like 32" standard tv size. The games will be playable in that mode with a bunch of black screen around the perimeter or other graphics floating around. Unless they upgrade each of these games which would be a great improvement to each of them. The concept = cool, the application of said concept = questionable.

I think the controller would be a big difference.  I downloaded an emulator for Baseball Stars to an old phone, I had a lot of fun with it, except the touch screen controls made diagonal control impossible.  I would easily pay $60...heck, $100 for one of these if it came with Baseball stars and would get my money out of it no problem.
I have my original NES which I had cleaned and also replaced the cartridge reader (sent it to Nintendo). I also sent Nintendo all my cart's to have cleaned and tested. Cost me all of 35 bucks back in 2008.

I have Baseball Stars, Tecmo Super Bowl, RBI 3, Tecmo Basketball, Tecmo baseball, Bases loaded 2. You name it.....I probably have it. Golgo 13 anyone? All 3 Ninja Gaidens, and some gems like Silent Service, Goal (soccer). The Lone Ranger, Ring Kings, Mike Tysons Punch Out....so many games. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my original NES which I had cleaned and also replaced the cartridge reader (sent it to Nintendo). I also sent Nintendo all my cart's to have cleaned and tested. Cost me all of 35 bucks back in 2008.

I have Baseball Stars, Tecmo Super Bowl, RBI 3, Tecmo Basketball, Tecmo baseball, Bases loaded 2. You name it.....I probably have it. Golgo 13 anyone? All 3 Ninja Gaidens, and some gems like Silent Service, Goal (soccer). The Lone Ranger, Ring Kings, Mike Tysons Punch Out....so many games. 
Never quite understood what the corner men were doing between rounds in Ring King.  

They are going to sell a ####ing ####-ton of these. I'm guessing it'll be the hard to get gift. 

I'll get it for punch-out alone. I bought that for my Wii-u a year back and it's really replayable. 

And I travel a lot. Seems like it would be easy to take along. 

I'm so mad at myself.  My original NES was the only system I ever got rid of.  I have half a dozen other systems in a box in the basement.  They got pulled out every once in a while for nostaligia, but if I had an NES with all my old games in working condition, it would be out permanently.  Genghis Khan?  Yes please!

As mentioned in the gamer thread...I just can't keep up with these modern games. I took the new donkey kong back because it was too hard for me. I played call of duty for like 30 minutes before switching it off for good. Some of us are old and suck at games. Last time I played madden I was down 49-0 at the half and some dork was ####-talking me over the Internet. #### you kid I own a house and have a career. Despite loving Star Wars I didn't even touch the last game because it was online only. So this is the perfect speed for me. 

Only drag I could see is if the controller needs to be connected to the console. Does anybody know if it's wireless? 

Capella said:
Some of us are old and suck at games. Last time I played madden I was down 49-0 at the half and some dork was ####-talking me over the Internet. #### you kid I own a house and have a career.
:lmao:

Capella said:
As mentioned in the gamer thread...I just can't keep up with these modern games. I took the new donkey kong back because it was too hard for me. I played call of duty for like 30 minutes before switching it off for good. Some of us are old and suck at games. Last time I played madden I was down 49-0 at the half and some dork was ####-talking me over the Internet. #### you kid I own a house and have a career. Despite loving Star Wars I didn't even touch the last game because it was online only. So this is the perfect speed for me. 

Only drag I could see is if the controller needs to be connected to the console. Does anybody know if it's wireless? 
I used to be very good at video games.  I tried call of duty and felt sick playing as it was too hard to control and hurt my eyes.   I suck at Madden too and miss the days of Bo Jackson or Christian Okoya (sp?) running over and around guys zig zagging down the field.

So I get this and play on my phone.  Even with a Note, that is a small screen.  How is that better than the new console option?  Obviously cheaper, but other than that?
I'm not saying the console is bad.  I'm just saying you can play on phone/tablet with a controller - PLUS I have ROMS not being offered.

It makes great AIRPLANE kill time on the phone.   I've had these for probably 10 years, so I just feel like it's late.  Like I said I'll probably get it.

Capella said:
They are going to sell a ####ing ####-ton of these. I'm guessing it'll be the hard to get gift. 

I'll get it for punch-out alone. I bought that for my Wii-u a year back and it's really replayable. 

And I travel a lot. Seems like it would be easy to take along. 
Exactly, fanboys from the 80s are going to buy these up like hotcakes. Perfect addition into a man cave. Last video game system I bought was a PS2 in the 90s, last game was NCAA 2002(2001 Canes). I think this will pull more folks into the modern games as well. Already large numbers but it might open a little more market in the over 40 crowd. 

Man, for a Company people had given up for dead  after the failure of the new Wii, Nintendo is just killing it this year

Double Dribble and Romance of the 3 kingdoms and Baseball Stars and Super Dodge Ball in the expansion please!!!.

Man, they shoulda went all "cutesy" and given us miniature cartridges (could have been small flash drives with the game stickers). 

If you're too young to remember the experience of knowing how to hit that button, blow on the cartridge, slam it in there just right and see the screen come up perfectly, you missed a life experience.

I'm not saying the console is bad.  I'm just saying you can play on phone/tablet with a controller - PLUS I have ROMS not being offered.

It makes great AIRPLANE kill time on the phone.   I've had these for probably 10 years, so I just feel like it's late.  Like I said I'll probably get it.
OK, gotcha.  I'm generally in favor of buying items like this vs playing ROM, since I want to support companies that make products I enjoy.  If there are certain games they don't make that I want to buy, maybe I'll pick up the controller to play on a ROM.

OK, gotcha.  I'm generally in favor of buying items like this vs playing ROM, since I want to support companies that make products I enjoy.  If there are certain games they don't make that I want to buy, maybe I'll pick up the controller to play on a ROM.
Thank You. I have not bought anything by Nintendo is almost 2 decades but I am all too eager to grab one of these. 

This product appeals to men 35-55 we'll say and those folks typically have the money for something like this. $50-$60...they could have charged $100 for it and many wouldn't blink twice and grab one. It's something other companies consider heavily I imagine. Feels like this particular target market doesn't get enough love IMHO. 

When I was a kid I saw lots of 50s stuff everywhere, almost saturation. 80s not so much as far as throw back products or trying to re-live those days. 

Brony said:
Atari Flashback sucked big time. For most of these games, the 1st minute is great reminiscing with the old sounds etc, but once you get into gameplay, they quickly lose me.
That's because Atari is like B&W 8 bit and I think NES is a little more advanced. What most of us liked was being able to just pick it up and play. At some point I had to start buying "How To Beat the game" manuals and codes and it started to become work. 

Sometimes just 15 minutes of Super Mario Bros is enough for a couple days. It's not like guys in their 40s want to start playing this 4 hours a night. It's just a little something to occupy free time or while you are waiting on your wife to go to dinner.

I know I have played Tecmo Bowl emulators with updated and current rosters.  I wonder if we get something current or tecmo "BO" as in, Bo freaking Jackson?

I'm gonna call it now and say I can probably die a happy, crotchety old man after this thing comes out..My life is complete.  LOL

I can see myself buying this just for the nostalgia. That said I have already bought most of the good games listed on here on my kids 3DS, some hold up (punch out, donkey kong, Mario games) and a lot of the other ones suck now days (double dribble seems like one that would not hold up but I could be wrong).  Excitebike would be fun to play again I think.

Has it ever been explained how we all knew how to do this? In the era before the internet, this spread nationwide in, what, a year or two and everyone knew the trick?

One of the original pre-internet memes, this thing went viral faster than some things do today.
Human nature, we were all born with some Nintendo instincts.

http://www.vans.com/shop/vans-nintendo

Some of you should eat these up too. I bought two pair, never bought them before but haven't had to wear them cause it's hot out here. I don't like the low pairs but some designs are neat. Was hoping for Metroid or other Zelda's but no do. 
I wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of Nintendo themed Vans but can vouch for how awesomely comfortable the lows are. I buy a pair every year and they're basically my version of flip flops.

So it's not expandable, there's no way to connect it to external storage or the internet to update with new games. It's a stand-alone as is device. Like the Atari and Intellivision "console in the controller" games from a decade ago.
Hmm, will reconsider if this is $60 for effectively a few games with limited replay value.

So it's not expandable, there's no way to connect it to external storage or the internet to update with new games. It's a stand-alone as is device. Like the Atari and Intellivision "console in the controller" games from a decade ago.
I would think there has to be a way to play more games?  Even if there isn't, $60 is an attractive price point. 

Apparently doesn't have any inputs. Only outputs. The "door" doesn't open, it's just molded plastic. There's nowhere to plug in anything to update the software.

Maybe someday someone will figure out how to access the EEPROM memory chip and solder in a new card, but probably not worth the trouble.

You could buy an original Wii for about the same price and :ph34r: or :pirate: some ROMs on there and have the full classic NES library.
Very true. This thing looks pretty bad ### though and has the cool looking controllers.

Bobcat10 said:
I have little interest playing these games on a PC with a keyboard, some tiny handheld device, phone, etc.  Or really with anything other than a old school Nintendo controller in hand.  This also seems very portable for work travel which interests me...and can even take on vacations with the kids.  There's a few titles missing that I'd want, but maybe they are saving some good one's for an expansion module of some sort for next year.
I don't think most kids will like this. I took my 10 year old to this old school arcade in Illinois last year.  I am not kidding you that they have  arcade cabinets and pinball machines in the high hundreds, probably anything you played back in the day and her reply was 'meh'.  Kids nowadays are not impressed with old school graphics. 

I don't think most kids will like this. I took my 10 year old to this old school arcade in Illinois last year.  I am not kidding you that they have  arcade cabinets and pinball machines in the high hundreds, probably anything you played back in the day and her reply was 'meh'.  Kids nowadays are not impressed with old school graphics. 
Hey, you can never go wrong with pinball. NEVER!!!! Someone who is not impressed with pinball... sheesh.

I would think there has to be a way to play more games?  Even if there isn't, $60 is an attractive price point. 
Worth $20 at most.  Like people are saying, if you like Nintendo you can buy a game on the Wii site for a few bucks.  Or you can get an emulator for free.

Users who are viewing this thread