What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Classic Nintendo comeback - mini version (1 Viewer)

Apparently doesn't have any inputs. Only outputs. The "door" doesn't open, it's just molded plastic. There's nowhere to plug in anything to update the software.

Maybe someday someone will figure out how to access the EEPROM memory chip and solder in a new card, but probably not worth the trouble.

You could buy an original Wii for about the same price and :ph34r: or :pirate: some ROMs on there and have the full classic NES library.
Given memory capacities today, why didn't they just include the whole library?  I assume this is a limitation based on title ownership/royalties?

I bought the retron 3 a couple years back to play all the old cartridges for NES, SNES and Genesis.

This mini NES is pretty cool but it feels like those 30 in 1 joysticks you see at Kohl's or Ross during Christmas that grandma buys for you cause she knows you like video games. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the retron 3 a couple years back to play all the old cartridges for NES, SNES and Genesis.

This mini NES is pretty cool but it feels like those 30 in 1 joysticks you see at Kohl's or Ross during Christmas that grandma buys for you cause she knows you like video games. 
The thing that separates this from everything else is the controller. This is the same one from the old school NES.  That makes all the difference. 

The thing that separates this from everything else is the controller. This is the same one from the old school NES.  That makes all the difference. 
The retron 3 allows you to plug in your old controller whether it's Genesis, SNES or NES. You could also use their wireless one that comes with it, which is pretty decent.

But yes those joystick ones suck balls.

You can buy original systems that are refurbished and have RCA connections/adapters so you can play them on LED TV's. Cart's are easy to come by for all your favorite games too. So if your really craving for the real deal NES.....you can spend a little coin and pick up a real system. 

You can buy original systems that are refurbished and have RCA connections/adapters so you can play them on LED TV's. Cart's are easy to come by for all your favorite games too. So if your really craving for the real deal NES.....you can spend a little coin and pick up a real system. 
Convenience wise, I think this hits the market of people who aren't interested in hunting down carts. 

Or you could just spend the price of an ok dinner and buy this?

I like all the nerds coming in here telling me how I can mod my tv with the RETRON 3000 and design my own system and make some controller myself that is similar to the one I remember and also don't forget to input a memory card so you can download more games later. 

No, I'm just gonna pay the 60 bucks. 

I was telling my wife about this last night and she's like "huh?"  Goes to the basement and comes back with a box of her stuff her parents had sent to her from when she was a kid.  Pulls out a complete NES system STILL IN THE FREAKING BOX it came in.  She only has duck hunt, Mario, and Excite bike (and some robot game with a detective) but the thing is mint condition. 

I was able to get it to play on my modern tv but I had to rigamarole the blue/green/yellow lines and the audio input, etc.  It was quite a hassle but I have the Mario theme in my head right now :)

Or you could just spend the price of an ok dinner and buy this?
Very true. It looks a like a great little device. But for those who really want Tecmo Super Bowl and Baseball Stars (The Gold standard for football and baseball on NES) and other games that are not on this mini NES....know you can easily get a perfectly good/clean working NES on Ebay anytime you want.

I like all the nerds coming in here telling me how I can mod my tv with the RETRON 3000 and design my own system and make some controller myself that is similar to the one I remember and also don't forget to input a memory card so you can download more games later. 

No, I'm just gonna pay the 60 bucks. 
It's not modding your TV. A retron is a system that plays NES, SNES and Genesis games. It connects just like any other gaming system. You just put in any of the old carts you have, use the controllers you may still have and the games just run. Pretty simple. And its less for the unit. Drawback is you have to have the cartridges still. 

It's ok though. Nintendo loves cashing in on lazy old guy nostalgia.

• Balloon Fight
  • Bubble Bobble
  • Castlevania
  • Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Double Dragon II: The Revenge
  • Dr. Mario
  • Excitebike
  • Final Fantasy
  • Galaga
  • Ghosts N Goblins
  • Gradius
  • Ice Climber
  • Kid Icarus
  • Kirby’s Adventure
  • Mario Bros.
  • Mega Man 2
  • Metroid
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Pac-Man
  • Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
  • StarTropics
  • Super C
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

I was telling my wife about this last night and she's like "huh?"  Goes to the basement and comes back with a box of her stuff her parents had sent to her from when she was a kid.  Pulls out a complete NES system STILL IN THE FREAKING BOX it came in.  She only has duck hunt, Mario, and Excite bike (and some robot game with a detective) but the thing is mint condition. 

I was able to get it to play on my modern tv but I had to rigamarole the blue/green/yellow lines and the audio input, etc.  It was quite a hassle but I have the Mario theme in my head right now :)
Should have left it sealed and put it up for auction straight away. $$$$

• Double Dragon II: The Revenge
  • Excitebike
  • Galaga
  • Ghosts N Goblins
  • Mega Man 2
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
This is a pretty decent group of games.

It's not modding your TV. A retron is a system that plays NES, SNES and Genesis games. It connects just like any other gaming system. You just put in any of the old carts you have, use the controllers you may still have and the games just run. Pretty simple. And its less for the unit. Drawback is you have to have the cartridges still. 

It's ok though. Nintendo loves cashing in on lazy old guy nostalgia.
That's me! :thumbup:

Should have left it sealed and put it up for auction straight away. $$$$
Oh no. I t wasn't sealed and never played.  I just meant she still had the box and she said she didn't play it much when she was a kid so it was in perfect shape but had been opened and used when she had it. I just thought it was cool to see the actual box it had come in and it was all packed up just like when you buy it.

There are a handful I'd say it's missing -- stuff like Contra -- but otherwise this is basically the hall of fame.
How cool would it be to buy this thing and then you hit "up,down,up,down,left,right,left,right, B,A, start" and it unlocks Contra and some other Konami games? 

Even as a full grown adult, I'd be thrilled with that.

I destroyed 2 joysticks playing this. Needless to say I retired it after I had to buy two new ones. LOL!!! This was in response to the arcade game Track and Field (with the Marios's who were posing as athletes LOL). I remember smacking the buttons in the arcade to play that one. That also was destroyed within weeks
All the 2600 games on on the link FYI

Cmon its a little cooler than that

I think where Nintendo is really missing the boat on their retro gaming library is online play. Id buy a system that would let me play old NES games verses my friends online. I would pay good money for a updated Ring King or Baseball stars with online tournaments and ladder play.

I think where Nintendo is really missing the boat on their retro gaming library is online play. Id buy a system that would let me play old NES games verses my friends online. I would pay good money for a updated Ring King or Baseball stars with online tournaments and ladder play.
Never considered this. You're right a lot of people would be into that. Playing a Baseball Stars tourney with friends would rule.

They are going to sell a ####ing ####-ton of these. I'm guessing it'll be the hard to get gift. 

I'll get it for punch-out alone. I bought that for my Wii-u a year back and it's really replayable. 

And I travel a lot. Seems like it would be easy to take along. 
My prediction is this will be an "it gift" this Christmas.

I think where Nintendo is really missing the boat on their online play.
Quoted for truth.  Nintendo has never taken online play seriously.  Their online system is a joke.  That said, and I know nobody wants to here about emulators, but a lot of them allow online play.  

I would also pay good money to be able to play people online.

Say one night I wanna play super tecmo bowl against some online competition.  MONEY!!

They should do like the guy I was replying to said, funnel it all into one system. Not 'x number of servers for just Mario Kart, y number of servers for Tecmo Bowl' or whatever. Servers that could handle online play for whatever games as needed. Instead they're doing it the old way and missing out on how games will run in the future. 
Again, money. Why pay thousands to upgrade when the old servers still run.  Gaming companies are pretty heavy penny pinchers.

Well, they can make zero dollars from their old library of already built games, or, leverage them and become the Netflix of classic games played online. Gotta spend money to make money. Can't make any money not selling old games that don't work because the servers that support them are mothballed. The poster I was replying to is right, Nintendo has been thinking backwards about this for a long time. 
I never said they were right. Just how they thought. Nintendo thinks it's 1995 still. Or at least wishes it was.

Just getting Baseball Stars like an application on the phone for dudes 35+ to play around with... might actually enjoy going to the mall with the Mrs.

What is the soonest we an but the GD thing...they tease us. I wouldn't be shocked if retailers get a sense these things might fly and add a little mark up on a few. 

If these are $50-$60 and guys are asking when they come in, demand might push them up in price. 

I would probably shell out up to $100 without blinking. for $60 to get 30 games, even if you only really love 5-6 of them, worth it to me to have and also enjoy with kids.

I would like a throwback with just the sports games including Super Tecmo Bowl...they should have had future editions and kept the game mostly as is. 

The only downer is the controller doesn't look wireless and it seems like a short cord. I'm not going to be sitting on the floor playing this like I did when I was 10. That's weird. 

The only downer is the controller doesn't look wireless and it seems like a short cord. I'm not going to be sitting on the floor playing this like I did when I was 10. That's weird. 
It's actually good that it's NOT wireless. I got the Sega Genesis package and the wireless remotes were horrible. Very weak, unreliable signals. 

Users who are viewing this thread