What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Climate Change thread: UN Report: we need to take action (1 Viewer)

Snow Crab season cancelled in Alaska for the first time ever as 90% of the Snow Crab population has disappeared. We don’t know why for sure. Could be disease but could be the warming waters. Massive economic and ecological loss.

Gonna be a real dump in another 100 years or so
Humans are a plague.

we do know why
Can you enlighten us then as to what you know about this that the person cited in the article who is researching the topic does not know? Maybe there was an update I have missed. I think we have a very good idea but don’t have a definitive answer.
you want me to link to 30 years of peer-reviewed scientific research on the predicted effects of climate change, including warming and more acidic oceans leading to reduction and possible extinction of marine life? sure, I’ll get on that.
Let me guess..Climate change?
In the case of ocean acidification yep.
In the case of EVERYTHING, yep
Ocean Acidification

we do know why
Can you enlighten us then as to what you know about this that the person cited in the article who is researching the topic does not know? Maybe there was an update I have missed. I think we have a very good idea but don’t have a definitive answer.
you want me to link to 30 years of peer-reviewed scientific research on the predicted effects of climate change, including warming and more acidic oceans leading to reduction and possible extinction of marine life? sure, I’ll get on that.
Let me guess..Climate change?
In the case of ocean acidification yep.
In the case of EVERYTHING, yep
Ocean Acidification
One of everything. Yes

Snow Crab season cancelled in Alaska for the first time ever as 90% of the Snow Crab population has disappeared. We don’t know why for sure. Could be disease but could be the warming waters. Massive economic and ecological loss.

Gonna be a real dump in another 100 years or so
Humans are a plague.
We are pretty much are virus for the planet that we also need to live on. Kind of an issue there :lol:

It is a good question asked earlier. What is everyone doing about it? Outside of token gestures that in the aggregate mean absolutely nothing, few are actually doing anything. Talking about it? Sure..And big deal. Few are going to make meaningful changes to their lives and sacrifice in the goal of making this change. Just little token acts that can make people feel better and post on social media.

It is a good question asked earlier. What is everyone doing about it? Outside of token gestures that in the aggregate mean absolutely nothing, few are actually doing anything. Talking about it? Sure..And big deal. Few are going to make meaningful changes to their lives and sacrifice in the goal of making this change. Just little token acts that can make people feel better and post on social media.
This is a separate issue and is obviously very important. People are not going to make enough changes, government forcing these changes can work in some areas but likely not enough and people will not agree or are incapable. We are pretty much hosed in many ways.

Here's something. https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/saving-ocean-biodiversity-coral-restoration

and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHKpcnn5Tws

"Climate activist" throws soup at a Van Gough LINK
Staged performance with a row of photographers behind them .
Isn't that kind of the point of these acts?
In this case I'm not really sure what the point is. Their rant veered off course and ended with a complaint about the high cost of oil. Not kidding, watch it.
These people are jackasses so I won’t even watch their little publicity stunt.

Other things of this ilk though I get they are being outlandish to get attention to their cause because it is the easiest way. Has to be pretty cleverly done to work. This one is a huge fail.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: SWC
The painting is behind glass (from what I read) so no harm done. I would say if you really want to protest this, an art museum isn’t the logical place. Maybe focus the vandalism at entities involved in harming the environment.

Supporting candidates that make climate an issue. Trying to be more careful about what I am eating so that it is sustainable. I almost never eat meat anymore. I try to shop local as much as possible. I like in a very walkable town so I can walk to get coffee, walk to get groceries, walk to the bar, etc. Ultimately we need governments leading the way imo.

The painting is behind glass (from what I read) so no harm done. I would say if you really want to protest this, an art museum isn’t the logical place. Maybe focus the vandalism at entities involved in harming the environment.
Right. This was a very strange spot to try and do a stunt that garners attention.

Supporting candidates that make climate an issue. Trying to be more careful about what I am eating so that it is sustainable. I almost never eat meat anymore. I try to shop local as much as possible. I like in a very walkable town so I can walk to get coffee, walk to get groceries, walk to the bar, etc. Ultimately we need governments leading the way imo.

I think that even if it isn't MAN MADE Climate change; there needs to be a realization by the Right that even natural climate change has the potential to be disasterous to our way of life for a miminum of a generation. I think this is an instance where someone like Ron DeSantis could very much have a "only Nixon could go to China" moment......but I'm not holding my breath.

"Climate activist" throws soup at a Van Gough LINK
Staged performance with a row of photographers behind them .
Isn't that kind of the point of these acts?
In this case I'm not really sure what the point is. Their rant veered off course and ended with a complaint about the high cost of oil. Not kidding, watch it.
These people are jackasses so I won’t even watch their little publicity stunt.

Other things of this ilk though I get they are being outlandish to get attention to their cause because it is the easiest way. Has to be pretty cleverly done to work. This one is a huge fail.
I'm always a big fan of whatever Femen is protesting

Gold?!? :ROFLMAO:

I see Rush / and this moment representative of the ushering in of misinformation. Been a drumbeat ever since.
I’m still waiting for that acid rain and hole in the ozone layer to burn my skin off.
In other words, unless it affects you personally, you don't give a ####.
No I’m just amazed that a group of people could be so wrong for so long and still continue with the same wrong narratives 40 years later.

I see Rush / and this moment representative of the ushering in of misinformation. Been a drumbeat ever since.
I’m still waiting for that acid rain and hole in the ozone layer to burn my skin off.
I don't understand. Are you denying those problems existed? Because we fixed them before they got out of control?

Hey Mr Climate Change OMG!!! - what are YOU doing for your part? Walking to work? Biking? Living in a hut? Full Vegan? I bet your footprint looks like all other lefty footprints - huge. Probably have a huge gas-guzzling SUV too.

But you guys all talk a good game, so I'll give you that.

Just a few things that we do in our house.

I ride my bike every chance I can rather than drive my car - same for my wife and kids. Our heating/cooling/electric bill is about 50% lower than our most efficient neighbors. We don't eat meat in our house. We avoid plastic more than anyone else I know. We compost and feed our food scraps to our chickens.

There are plenty of people that have made meaningful changes to their lives

Never underestimate the power of the Virtue Signal. :thumbup:

I ride my bike every chance I can rather than drive my car - same for my wife and kids. Our heating/cooling/electric bill is about 50% lower than our most efficient neighbors. We don't eat meat in our house. We avoid plastic more than anyone else I know. We compost and feed our food scraps to our chickens.

Excellent! First liberal I know that is actually trying to walk the walk instead of talking the talk. :thumbup:

And I know A LOT of liberals.

Excellent! First liberal I know that is actually trying to walk the walk instead of talking the talk. :thumbup:

I don't doubt that there are plenty of people who talk a good game. I wouldn't just lump in liberals here though. There are plenty of conservatives who care for the environment and believe in global warming that also don't do **** about it

I don't doubt that there are plenty of people who talk a good game. I wouldn't just lump in liberals here though. There are plenty of conservatives who care for the environment and believe in global warming that also don't do **** about it
For the record, I'm not one of those. I understand that our climate is important and we should not be polluting or wasting anything. We should all strive to keep the natural balance (although, I'm not sure what that is) as much as possible, but I draw the line at hamstringing the US while other countries get a pass. Some people/countries are using climate change as a weapon against the US and aren't really interested in climate, IMO.

If you want more people to go green, you're going to have to incentivize them. For example, 60K for an electric vehicle is out of all but the top 1% range. I would say even 30K is a lot for most people. And I'm not thinking of guys like me, I'm thinking of single mom down the street.

No I’m just amazed that a group of people could be so wrong for so long and still continue with the same wrong narratives 40 years later.
Do you accept that gravity is real? or just that something sucks in the atmosphere?

Do you accept that gravity is real? or just that something sucks in the atmosphere?

Interesting comment coming from the guy whose side thinks a woman is a man and a man is a women literally because they say so. :lol:

You should probably think before you post next time. Maybe you won't hit 'Post Reply' so fast. Science isn't one of those things you can gaffe off when it doesn't fit the narrative.

Hey Mr Climate Change OMG!!! - what are YOU doing for your part? Walking to work? Biking? Living in a hut? Full Vegan? I bet your footprint looks like all other lefty footprints - huge. Probably have a huge gas-guzzling SUV too.

I work day to day on resiliency projects where flooding has increased due to climate change.

Interesting comment coming from the guy whose side thinks a woman is a man and a man is a women literally because they say so. :lol:

You should probably think before you post next time. Maybe you won't hit 'Post Reply' so fast. Science isn't one of those things you can gaffe off when it doesn't fit the narrative.
Haven't responded to you in awhile. Now I remember why. Worse than ever.

I work day to day on resiliency projects where flooding has increased due to climate change.
In coastal Florida, sea level rise is real. Talk to anyone who's lived for decades on the Biscayne Bay causeway islands or the bay side of barrier islands about their seawalls and king tide flooding. Rich people and rich cities like Miami Beach can make their homes, businesses, and infrastructure more resilient. I'm not sure what will happen to other communities.

I came here to post about the 18.6 year lunar nodal cycle which is a fluctuation added on the top of the slow sea-level rise caused by global warming. We're in the down phase of that cycle until about 2026. The up phase will peak around 2035, effectively doubling the rate of sea level rise. This could cause panic in some coastal communities during the king tides that occur every year during new and full moons of Sep, Oct, and Nov.

This supermoon has a twist – expect flooding, but a lunar cycle is masking effects of sea level rise

We’re only 40 years into “We only have 10 years to save the planet.”

Do you walk to work? What do you drive? What about your house? You all green there too? Are you a vegan?

This is funny considering what you responded to @Philo Beddoe with above. It's almost as if you're not following your own advice but then accusing others of doing the same thing you are. :lol:

You're as transparent as a sheet of glass.

I’m not a denier. The expert studying the issue doesn’t feel comfortable saying it’s climate change yet. He also isn’t sure if they died or moved somewhere else.
assume you mean Daly

Ben Daly, a researcher with ADF&G, is investigating where the crabs have gone. He monitors the health of the state's fisheries, which produce 60% of the nation's seafood.

"Disease is one possibility," Daly told CBS News.

He also points to climate change. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Alaska is the fastest warming state in the country, and is losing billions of tons of ice each year — critical for crabs that need cold water to survive.

"Environmental conditions are changing rapidly," Daly said. "We've seen warm conditions in the Bering Sea the last couple of years, and we're seeing a response in a cold adapted species, so it's pretty obvious this is connected. It is a canary in a coal mine for other species that need cold water."

yeah he knows. sorry, I’m just getting tired of talking around the subject. we don’t know why a dozen craps disappear. We know why a billion disappear.

In coastal Florida, sea level rise is real. Talk to anyone who's lived for decades on the Biscayne Bay causeway islands or the bay side of barrier islands about their seawalls and king tide flooding. Rich people and rich cities like Miami Beach can make their homes, businesses, and infrastructure more resilient. I'm not sure what will happen to other communities.

I came here to post about the 18.6 year lunar nodal cycle which is a fluctuation added on the top of the slow sea-level rise caused by global warming. We're in the down phase of that cycle until about 2026. The up phase will peak around 2035, effectively doubling the rate of sea level rise. This could cause panic in some coastal communities during the king tides that occur every year during new and full moons of Sep, Oct, and Nov.

This supermoon has a twist – expect flooding, but a lunar cycle is masking effects of sea level rise
Did you expect anything other than sea level rise? I'm kind of flummoxed here. The sea has been riding for thousands of years. It's nothing new.

Did you expect anything other than sea level rise? I'm kind of flummoxed here. The sea has been riding for thousands of years. It's nothing new.

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/ear...su.edu.earth107/files/Unit2/Mod4/Figure17.jpg
The sea level was about 400 feet lower about 25,000 years ago, hence people could migrate over land in places like the Bering Land Bridge. The rise slowed about 7,000 years ago, and has been stable for about 2,000 years... until about 100 years ago and has been accelerating in the last 20 years due to humans.

Its also flooding inland just from the greater intensity of storms. I had a house flood in Charleston from a heavy July thunderstorm.

Climate change should have been a leading indicator for how Covid would go. Partisan politics is a scourge.
100% agree. The authoritarian Democrats shut down small business and set our kids educational standards back years further destroying the working class in America. Now they want to continue the destruction of the working class with insane eco policies which are dropping crushing electric, oil and gas bills on the people who can least afford it. Glad we can agree. 👍🏻

There’s actually some speculation that warmer waters forced the crabs to move and in doing so moved out of areas where they were protected and were victims of mass overfishing.

Users who are viewing this thread