What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Collectively, A Thread To Celebrate Our Kids Athletic Accomplishments (1 Viewer)

Now he has 3 months at home. Morning lifts 6 days a week, batting 5 days a week, field work 2-3 days a week.

Arm is totally shut down for the next 5 weeks. Then he will begin a very light 20-30 feet for 5 minutes throwing program 2-3 days a week in late June. Ramp it up a little more first two weeks of July (90 feet for 5 minutes) then full throwing program last week of July and first week of August.
Is this a program dictated by the school or something he came up with on his own?

Having a break is critical and is being lost on parents in this crazy day and age of year round travel baseball.

Even so I always made sure he had breaks between seasons and at least a full month off in the summer.

I know many kids who never took breaks that he played with.

There were 4 TJ surgeries and a shoulder tear following his senior season.
Too many people are focused on pitch count and they don't realize that even with modest pitch counts the arm still needs to be totally shut down for 6-8 weeks (as a pitcher) for rest. Even with pitch counts if you pitch for 52 weeks a year you will break down. Muscles need rest and throwing is tough on elbows/shoulders. Just like you said, so many injuries because they don't get a complete break from throwing.

So her 3.33 will fall below it. I told her if she really wanted she could retake but not worry about it. It was you first in season year, you had 18 credits and taking honors engineering. She kept missing the same classes because of games and completely forgot about the assignments. Oh well still proud :)
In the end the GPA won't matter. Pass the classes and actually learn the stuff. The actual grades are secondary (other than the accolades but in the grand scheme those won't be critical in real life most likely). It's tough playing a sport and keeping up with engineering curriculum. Good for her!
Yep. She would have had an easy A is what is eating at her. She basically kept logging in and checking on stuff but for some reason forgot to scroll down to the psychology class.
So a couple B+ and all As minus that stupid psychology lol. Like I said hopefully she learns from it and knows how to manage her time and plan ahead. She's actually taking a full semester this summer so hopefully with nothing else going on she'll be more focused.

Doing way better than I did 😂 so trying not to sweat it lol

Now he has 3 months at home. Morning lifts 6 days a week, batting 5 days a week, field work 2-3 days a week.

Arm is totally shut down for the next 5 weeks. Then he will begin a very light 20-30 feet for 5 minutes throwing program 2-3 days a week in late June. Ramp it up a little more first two weeks of July (90 feet for 5 minutes) then full throwing program last week of July and first week of August.
Is this a program dictated by the school or something he came up with on his own?
No this has been our routine for years and years with his arm.

Having a break is critical and is being lost on parents in this crazy day and age of year round travel baseball.

Even so I always made sure he had breaks between seasons and at least a full month off in the summer.

Too many people are focused on pitch count and they don't realize that even with modest pitch counts the arm still needs to be totally shut down for 6-8 weeks (as a pitcher) for rest. Even with pitch counts if you pitch for 52 weeks a year you will break down. Muscles need rest and throwing is tough on elbows/shoulders. Just like you said, so many injuries because they don't get a complete break from throwing.
People also don’t realize position players need that as much as pitchers.

The sheer amount of throwing when you play competitive high school baseball between all the practices and games…..it’s a ton. Add in all this year round travel ball…..it’s crazy.

The sheer amount of throwing when you play competitive high school baseball between all the practices and games…..it’s a ton. Add in all this year round travel ball…..it’s crazy.
It seems to me that baseball is the most 'dangerous' sport for injury because of over use is baseball and it is one of the more popular year round sports too.

It seems to me that baseball is the most 'dangerous' sport for injury because of over use is baseball and it is one of the more popular year round sports too.
Nothing tops football.

Literally guaranteed to suffer injuries of some sort. Play hurt, get hurt….I mean it’s just so damn violent. Especially at the High School level where there is not nearly the same focus on player safety that there is in the NFL.

Even college ball is absolutely far more brutal IMO.

But baseball more and more is lending itself to arm injuries.

Dangerous is relative. It's only dangerous in as much as you not taking care of yourself. It's not dangerous where someone is going to come in blind side you into oblivion.

Most of these arm situations are 100% on the player for not taking care of themselves or listening to their bodies. 90% of it is preventable with proper arm/body conditioning and not overstressing yourself.

Nothing tops football.

Literally guaranteed to suffer injuries of some sort. Play hurt, get hurt….I mean it’s just so damn violent. Especially at the High School level where there is not nearly the same focus on player safety that there is in the NFL.

Even college ball is absolutely far more brutal IMO.

But baseball more and more is lending itself to arm injuries.
I didn't mean injury overall but more of the repetitive injuries that end up in all these arm surgeries for kids. Football is the top sport for injury of your 'mainstream' sports for sure.

I didn't mean injury overall but more of the repetitive injuries that end up in all these arm surgeries for kids.
The overall arm surgeries is a tad overblown with respect to all baseball players. It is getting a lot of press because typically the guys that it is affecting are the guy that are maxing out the stresses to achieve highest velocities. Those are the guys that usually are on the radar of being top prospects so they get more visibility.

Don't get me wrong, they have definitely gone up drastically compared to the past and that is a direct result of trying to max out velocity while also not giving your body time to recover/heal. It's a perfect storm for some guys. Improved strength programs, max stress to achieve max velo will lead to the weak link popping.......and that is the UCL.

Playoff Update: We ended up getting the #1 seed in Division 2 (we are a base Division 3 school) so we are playing up a division. Our first round matchup was against a Division 1 school that got bumped down due to them having a .500 record. They came from a tough D1 league and struggled a bit. My concern was that since they were a .500 team it was likely they had one really good pitcher and then not much after that. So in essence, they win when he pitches and don't when he doesn't. Sure enough I was right after researching a bit. Their #1 pitcher is a D1 college commit (Cal State Northridge) and he threw a perfect game two weeks ago.

All this made me really nervous going into the game as it's the type of team that could win a game (with their stud pitcher) and then lose the next game when they got nothing left. couple that with our team not being the strongest hitting team and it was shaping up to be worrisome.

Gally Jr started off by striking out the first batter, getting the next guy on a comebacker, giving up a solid single and getting the next guy on a weak grounder to 2B. Solid inning. Now the worrisome part. Our leadoff batter banged the first pitch right back up the middle for a single. Next guy drag bunt for a basehit brining up Gally Jr. Coach has him bunt and they put on the wheel play late with the 3B crashing hard. Gally Jr gets the bunt down but it was right at the 3B who got the lead runner at 3B. I would have liked the coach to have been a little patient to see what the other team was going to do plus with each batter so far going after the 1st pitch the guy faced three batters on three pitches. Not ideal.

Our #4 hitter battled getting the count to 2-2 and fouled off three pitches with two strikes. Then he mashed a ball to the right center gap for a triple scoring two runs. It was a huge hit and set the tone for the game. You could see their team just deflate. It was awesome.

Gally Jr was on for this game. He commanded the zone and had everything working. Unfortunately our bats went silent as their guy got into a groove as well. So the game stayed 2-0 into the 5th inning when we were finally able to scratch out another run to go up 3-0. The game was never really in doubt though because the other guys couldn't muster much offense. They got a guy to 2B twice and never got anyone to 3B. Only three balls made it to the outfield. One fly ball out to RF and two ground balls that hit the holes for singles. That was it. He ended up giving up 3 hits (one infield single and two seeing eye singles), 1 BB and had 8 K's. Just a dominating performance. He gave them no hope in the game once we put up two runs in the first. He also went 2-3 at the plate with a run scored.

All in all I was underwhelmed by this D1 commit. He threw relatively hard (88-90) but didn't have any command. His off speed stuff was ok but easy to pick up. I just find it hard to believe that he was a D1 caliber pitcher. We ended up scratching out 9 hits off him and we aren't a good hitting team. Now he could have just been off and he showed glimpses of better when he settled in a bit but still not what I would consider a D1 college level pitcher.

Next up we play tomorrow against a team from our league that we have beaten 3 times. We have not allowed them to score an earned run in those three games and won 11-1 twice and 1-0 the third time.

Season Totals:
  • Pitching: 10-0, 0.71 ERA (78.2 IP, 15R/8ER), 42 H, 10 BB, 5 HBP, 99 K, 9 CG, 4 SO, 1 No Hitter
  • Hitting: .341 (29 for85), 20 R, 20 RBI, 12 BB, 4 K, 4 HBP, 8 doubles, 1 HR, 7 for 7 SB, .441 OBP, .912 OPS

Well, all good things must come to an end. Gally Jr's team lost to a team they had beaten three times this year while outscoring them 23-2 (with those only two runs being unearned). The boys came out flat (maybe a bit too overconfident) but had a chance to win. They were down 1-0 for most of the game and battled for two runs in the bottom of the 6th to take a 2-1 lead. They got the first two outs in the 7th and then a seeing eye single and a solid single put runners on first and second with two outs and their best hitter up (who had a HR earlier for their only run of the game). The pitcher got him to hit a chopper to short and the sophomore SS tried to hurry the shovel to second base and bobbled the grounder and then let it get away enough to allow the runner to score from 2B to tie the game. We finished the inning and couldn't score in the bottom of the 7th.
In the top of the 8th we had to go to a new pitcher as our guy was pitched out due to pitch count. The new guy gave up two hits with the second one scoring a runner from 2B. Couldn't muster anything in the bottom of the 8th and just like that the magical season came to an end.

Bottom line is they didn't hit enough (3 total hits - 2 in the first and one in the 7th) to win the game. Their 1-2 punch of pitchers could only do so much without run support. Very sad way to end and the SS was devastated. He is a really good kid and solid player. I really hope this experience challenges him to improve rather than destroys his confidence. I am definitely rooting for him.

Gally Jr went 1-3 with a sacrifice and hit the ball hard three times. Also, played solid defensively to finish up well. He finished with 16 consecutive scoreless innings and 6-13 at the plate over his last 4 games.

Also, to top it off it was senior awards night so we had to go from that heartbreak to hurry up to the school to see if he was selected for the Scholar Athlete of the year award for the school. It is a very prestigious award for the school as it is named after a long time teacher/coach/athletic director and has a lot of meaning to the school. He ended up being chosen for that as well. So very proud all around. It may have been a little dusty in the room and on the field yesterday.

In addition to that he was inducted into the Legion of Champions (as a 4-yr Varsity letter winner in one sport & 3 time All-League performer), and he earned status in the Legion of Academic Merit as having a cumulative weighted GPA over a 4.0 for his entire high school career (he never got anything less than an A in any class for all four years). Very proud all around.

Final Senior Year Stats:
  • Pitching: 10-0, 0.71 ERA (78.2 IP, 15R/8ER), 42 H, 10 BB, 5 HBP, 99 K, 9 CG, 4 SO, 1 No Hitter
  • Hitting: .341 (30 for88), 20 R, 20 RBI, 12 BB, 4 K, 4 HBP, 8 doubles, 1 HR, 7 for 7 SB, .438 OBP, .904 OPS
  • Fielding: .943 (4 errors on 76 chances - 2 were on ground balls and 2 were errant pickoff throws while pitching)

Last edited:
Just based on past work travel and work in general, I hadn't seen my oldest (daughter, 13) run in any of her track meets until yesterday. Her passion is volleyball and she's in a skills class and league through the city right now, so I try my best to see all of that... but track? Nah. Went to her meet yesterday and she placed 3rd (out of 7) in the 400. She's not particularly speedy but athletic and fast enough to beat the slower kids :oldunsure: even running in shoes really designed for volleyball. Proud of her, and told her if she wanted to keep it up for 8th grade and beyond that we'd invest in some proper footwear LOL.

Crossing my fingers that her volleyball skills continue to rise and she makes the 8th grade team next fall. And need to try and set aside funds to get her into a "club", as we've been told making the high school team is basically not gonna happen unless she has club experience. Meh.

Just based on past work travel and work in general, I hadn't seen my oldest (daughter, 13) run in any of her track meets until yesterday. Her passion is volleyball and she's in a skills class and league through the city right now, so I try my best to see all of that... but track? Nah. Went to her meet yesterday and she placed 3rd (out of 7) in the 400. She's not particularly speedy but athletic and fast enough to beat the slower kids :oldunsure: even running in shoes really designed for volleyball. Proud of her, and told her if she wanted to keep it up for 8th grade and beyond that we'd invest in some proper footwear LOL.

Crossing my fingers that her volleyball skills continue to rise and she makes the 8th grade team next fall. And need to try and set aside funds to get her into a "club", as we've been told making the high school team is basically not gonna happen unless she has club experience. Meh.
Around these parts the vball clubs are kind of feeders to the private schools. It isn't exactly a feeder system but the clubs have the coaches of the high school teams involved, thus they are exposed to the players pre-HS and get their eyes on certain girls. It makes a huge difference on whether you are on the teams or not.

Public is a little different as there really isn't 'recruiting' or choice in where you go. You just have to be good enough to make the team in tryouts. But yea, vball is super club oriented. My daughter plays club and school vball going into 8th grade next year.

Swim meet today. My youngest has been held out because he got some skin rash thing and we have no idea where it came from but the mat in BJJ or the pool for swimming are both possibilities.

My middle son was put in 12U on the 200 IM and 50 Back. He swam with the 10U teams in the medley and free relays.

This swim season has not gone anywhere near what I was hoping/expecting. My son made regionals in several events and state in one event last season. He doesn't age out of 10U until after state championships and he was very close to adding more events for both regionals and state. So, I think you might understand why I would have high hopes for this season.

But then the season started... he missed a lot of practice because of other sports (track and soccer) and then missed some because he needed to work on homework or a project or study. Then there was a huge meltdown thing between him, my wife and I (I outlined it in the teenager thread) and he absolutely refused to go to practice. Him and I have made some good progress on our relationship and doing a lot more talking from both sides. He is much more flexible with me but I am being more flexible with him. Last week on Friday, I texted him and told him he has practice at 7 and to get ready (with about an hours notice saying to get ready in about 30 minutes). He came to and said "when you tell me that, it makes me not want to go. I know when practice is and I will get ready." We chatted about it and I told him that he wouldn't get ready on his own and be ready to go and he said yes... back and forth. Monday was a holiday so not practice. Tuesday I didn't say a word. He didn't get ready or even blink when it was time to go. I decided to not say anything but then I also had his video game time set to lock when he was supposed to be at practice. I had to drop off my daughter to her practice so he texted me asking for more time. I told him we could talk when I got home. When I got home and we talked, I wondered how it would go.... so, he asked why he couldn't have time and I said "where are you supposed to be right now?" it took him a bit and then he said swim practice so then I asked "do you think I should give you time for video games?" He agreed that I shouldn't and it surprisingly went very well.

The other issue is that his best stroke is the butterfly. If you don't know swimming, the fly is the hardest stroke. A lot goes into the technique to do well at it and it takes a 'rhythm' with your body. A few seasons ago, we saw his fly times start to go up and I wondered if he was getting tired or what but he was still cutting times in his other strokes so that didn't make sense. After talking to people who know swimming way more than me, they mentioned a few possibilities which one of them was a growth spurt. Growth spurts will throw off the timing and rhythm as they are not use to the new body. Well, he had another growth spurt just as this season started. His fly times have been going up. In the long run it is good as he will have more power in his strokes once he gets back in the swing of things and drop time again. But he needs to get more practice time to help with that.

So.... all of that to say the dual meet was today.

He placed 2nd in both the 200IM and 50 Back going against the next level of kids. He dropped a little time off his back stroke as well.

For the relays, all of the 10 year olds have aged up. So, the boys on his relay were younger boys. Two of them were 7 year olds and then one 9 year old. They got smoked because the little guys put their effort in but are just outclassed. However, my son made up a bunch of time in both relays passing other teams that had large leads on us.

I have been worried that he would end up dropping swim but I think the new way that we are both approaching our relationship could help that where he continues in swim. Hoping to see him get to more practices and maybe make a push in this last stretch of the season.

Around these parts the vball clubs are kind of feeders to the private schools. It isn't exactly a feeder system but the clubs have the coaches of the high school teams involved, thus they are exposed to the players pre-HS and get their eyes on certain girls. It makes a huge difference on whether you are on the teams or not.

Public is a little different as there really isn't 'recruiting' or choice in where you go. You just have to be good enough to make the team in tryouts. But yea, vball is super club oriented. My daughter plays club and school vball going into 8th grade next year.
The word on the street 'round here is the HS volleyball coaches absolutely know which girls are on the club teams and will try them out, and if you've had no club experience they shuffle you off to a "side tryout" which is just for show (ie, you're not making the team). I feel bad that we just don't have the $$$ to shell out for club... because she's certainly good enough.

The word on the street 'round here is the HS volleyball coaches absolutely know which girls are on the club teams and will try them out, and if you've had no club experience they shuffle you off to a "side tryout" which is just for show (ie, you're not making the team). I feel bad that we just don't have the $$$ to shell out for club... because she's certainly good enough.
It is rather stupid and lazy if you ask me. If I was HS coach then I want the best available players and I don't know where they might come from. It could be a transfer student that shows up on day 1 of the tryouts for all I know. For the private schools, I can see using the clubs as a way to recruit (within the rules which I am not 100% clear on) but come try out.... let me see what you got.

One thought to help her... pretty much every HS sports program has a cash cow for the coaches... I mean.... a sports summer camp. At least around here. At least the ones around here the HC's are there. So, it might help get her exposure to get her into that camp. They are usually fairly cheap. Most around here are under $100 for a couple hours a day through the week.

It is rather stupid and lazy if you ask me. If I was HS coach then I want the best available players and I don't know where they might come from. It could be a transfer student that shows up on day 1 of the tryouts for all I know. For the private schools, I can see using the clubs as a way to recruit (within the rules which I am not 100% clear on) but come try out.... let me see what you got.

One thought to help her... pretty much every HS sports program has a cash cow for the coaches... I mean.... a sports summer camp. At least around here. At least the ones around here the HC's are there. So, it might help get her exposure to get her into that camp. They are usually fairly cheap. Most around here are under $100 for a couple hours a day through the week.
Huh, interesting. Just looked up her eventual HS and they do indeed have summer camps, but for "newcomers" and incoming freshman. She's still a year off from that. Doesn't look like they have anything for middle schoolers.

Huh, interesting. Just looked up her eventual HS and they do indeed have summer camps, but for "newcomers" and incoming freshman. She's still a year off from that. Doesn't look like they have anything for middle schoolers.
Interesting.

I have my daughter (going into 8th) into the local public schools camp and two Catholic schools (and then more for basketball camps). Every HS around here... every single one.... public or private.... has a whole menu of sports camps available. Some have started doing STEM, art and other non-sport camps from the Catholic schools. It is a win/win/win type thing for everyone. The coaches get $$$ (from what I can tell, they get all the money and I heard one Lacrosse coach made $8K last year... which again, is a few hours of work for a week as most camps are structured), the kids get some practice and hopefully skill development, the parents get rid of the kids for a bit and have them burn off some energy and for the schools, it is a recruitment tool. Any smart coach would use it as a recruiting tool themselves. When I was a kid, way back before this was a huge thing, I went to my local public school basketball camp. The coaches did recruit me a little bit as they asked where I lived (to see what side of the line I was on for them or the rival HS) and then when they found out I was on the line and would have a choice, they were like "You are coming here, right?" The camps now typically will have grade school and jr high levels and then often the incoming freshmen class in some sports. My kids are in camps every week from June through July. August they have off.... partly because the camps stop and also to give them a rest.

The coaches did recruit me a little bit as they asked where I lived (to see what side of the line I was on for them or the rival HS) and then when they found out I was on the line and would have a choice, they were like "You are coming here, right?"

There is school of choice now in my area. Doesn't matter where you live. You can choose to go to whatever school you want. It has become a real detriment to community and team chemistry. Players are jumping around constantly looking for the greener grass. It's a shame.

The coaches did recruit me a little bit as they asked where I lived (to see what side of the line I was on for them or the rival HS) and then when they found out I was on the line and would have a choice, they were like "You are coming here, right?"

There is school of choice now in my area. Doesn't matter where you live. You can choose to go to whatever school you want. It has become a real detriment to community and team chemistry. Players are jumping around constantly looking for the greener grass. It's a shame.
I think there needs to be some sort of happy medium...

There was a case out here in IL where they wouldn't let a kid wrestle because he moved in with a family member to be closer to a school. They say it was because he has some hard of hearing issues and the school he was going to had services for that where as the school he was at before (in the middle of corn land Illinois) did not. The argument against it was that they had some sort of connection to the coach and thus was accused of recruiting.

I am not a fan of college transfer portal but at the same time, the way it was before was too hard for athlete students to change schools. There are a ton of legit reasons to change schools. The question comes down to, how do you stop the school hoping to get more playing time on the baseball team but allow real legit reasons to make a change.

I think your area may be very different from most areas (my guess, I know it is very different here in Illinois) but we are watching the changes of sport in so many different ways with the transfer portal and NIL in college.

My son is a senior this year and about to graduate. He is a pitcher on his baseball team that is currently in the state playoffs. He was named 1st team all league this year after having a league ERA at 1.51 and 76 strikeouts in 52 innings.

He started and went 7 innings in our 1st playoff game giving up 5 hits and 1 run as we won 3-1. He had 11 strike outs and walked none. Just a dominating game from start to finish. A boost for his confidence as the past 2 playoffs he was our #2 starter and got the start in our 2nd playoff games both against teams that went on to win state title. He pitched well in those games but it still hurt.

We won our second playoff game last Friday and advanced to semifinals this past Tuesday. We had to travel to play at the #1 ranked team in state who was 28-1 on the year. My son got the start and although his stuff was really good results weren't as good due to a mixture of good hitting and some bad luck and he left after 3 innings down 5-3. Fast forward to end of 6th inning and we were down 6-3. Our 8-9-1 hitters were due up. I knew if we got to our 3-4 hitters we had a shot. However, leadoff hitter gets ahead 3 balls and 1 strike and for some reason swings at next pitch to get to 3-2 before striking out. Next batter grounds out and things are looking grim. Our leadoff hitter bloops a single over the shortstop to give us some life. 2 hitter hits first pitch into center on line drive! 1st and 2nd now and our best hitter, league MVP coming up who hit over .500 this year with 4 home runs. He is a left handed hitter and the pitcher is right handed. He threw him a first pitch curveball that was low and inside and he crushed it over the scoreboard in right field! Tie game, team and fans going nuts. We hold them in the bottom of the 7th and score 1 in the 8th to go up 7-6. They mount a rally in bottom of 8th before flying out to CF to end it.

On to the State championship game Saturday! My son will be eligible to pitch since he only pitched 3 innings. His high school has never won a state title in baseball. Should be fun!

My son is a senior this year and about to graduate. He is a pitcher on his baseball team that is currently in the state playoffs. He was named 1st team all league this year after having a league ERA at 1.51 and 76 strikeouts in 52 innings.
That's an awesome season. Is he getting interest at the next level?

It’s ridiculous.

I think there needs to be some sort of happy medium...

There was a case out here in IL where they wouldn't let a kid wrestle because he moved in with a family member to be closer to a school. They say it was because he has some hard of hearing issues and the school he was going to had services for that where as the school he was at before (in the middle of corn land Illinois) did not. The argument against it was that they had some sort of connection to the coach and thus was accused of recruiting.

I am not a fan of college transfer portal but at the same time, the way it was before was too hard for athlete students to change schools. There are a ton of legit reasons to change schools. The question comes down to, how do you stop the school hoping to get more playing time on the baseball team but allow real legit reasons to make a change.

I think your area may be very different from most areas (my guess, I know it is very different here in Illinois) but we are watching the changes of sport in so many different ways with the transfer portal and NIL in college.
Unfortunately something with good intentions always finds its way to abusive behavior.

Too many will constantly exploit it.

We have school choice in our state which is a great thing. But the athletic directors in cohoots with various coaches find ways to abuse it and take open seats for athletes and in my sons former high school’s case we were over crowded and yet somehow, someway new transfers found their way onto his baseball roster every year.

Mmmmmmmm.

It’s horse ****.

someway new transfers found their way onto his baseball roster every year.
What didn't make a lot of sense to me was when kids wanted to go to school X because they are "better" and when I asked them then why don't you stay and make this school better? Take the onus on you and make the school you are supposed to go to matter.

The greatest part was that we never lost to the rival the past three years against those kids that left. Talking to them at the end of their career I asked if they regretted their transfer and everyone said they did. Sucked because even though we won league titles and went to the state title game last year we could have been much better if they just stayed. Ugh.

Interesting.

I have my daughter (going into 8th) into the local public schools camp and two Catholic schools (and then more for basketball camps). Every HS around here... every single one.... public or private.... has a whole menu of sports camps available. Some have started doing STEM, art and other non-sport camps from the Catholic schools. It is a win/win/win type thing for everyone. The coaches get $$$ (from what I can tell, they get all the money and I heard one Lacrosse coach made $8K last year... which again, is a few hours of work for a week as most camps are structured), the kids get some practice and hopefully skill development, the parents get rid of the kids for a bit and have them burn off some energy and for the schools, it is a recruitment tool. Any smart coach would use it as a recruiting tool themselves. When I was a kid, way back before this was a huge thing, I went to my local public school basketball camp. The coaches did recruit me a little bit as they asked where I lived (to see what side of the line I was on for them or the rival HS) and then when they found out I was on the line and would have a choice, they were like "You are coming here, right?" The camps now typically will have grade school and jr high levels and then often the incoming freshmen class in some sports. My kids are in camps every week from June through July. August they have off.... partly because the camps stop and also to give them a rest.
My daughter's also going to be in 8th next school year. She made the 7th grade team and at the start of the season it was evident she was one of the more talented players. As the season went on, it seemed like she was trying to do too much. It was evident the other girls (ALL of them play on one "club" or another; most of them play for a highly-respected local club that's like a couple/few G's a year) were getting better because they had multiple days of playing with each other and were able to "specialize". The coach tried my daughter out at "libero" because she literally flies all over the court and will get on the ground more than any other player. But then yeah, it seemed like she was getting out of position, something the other girls weren't doing because they play together regularly in the "club" and are getting more experience. By the end of the season she rode the bench and in the semi-final game, got in and promptly was out of position and jacked up a return.

She plays in the "city" league and is clearly one of the best players on her team. She also does a weekly "skills class" through the city and she's one of the best players there. She takes this super serious and I want her to succeed. Unfortunately we're really only a 1-income family living in expensive beach suburbia and just can't afford to spend thousands of dollars on club.

Unfortunately we're really only a 1-income family living in expensive beach suburbia and just can't afford to spend thousands of dollars on club.
If it is really something you/she is interested in then you can likely find something that would fit your situation. Talk to clubs/coaches/parents and see about varying options. It sounds like she just needs more time to keep up with the clubbers.

I am more familiar with baseball for this type of thing but I would assume that there would be many options for you (especially in your area).

That's an awesome season. Is he getting interest at the next level?
Yes. He committed to pitch at Mount Hood Community College next year in Portland, OR He just needs to put on some weight and get stronger. He is almost 6'6" but only weighs 160 pounds. His fastball topped this year at 84 but he has a lot of room to improve on that as he fills out. I don't think I tipped 84 in high school and was 6'6" 185 pounds when I graduated high school. By my junior year in college I was up to 94 mph and got drafted in the 3rd round. The potential is there for him to do well at Mount Hood and move on to a D1 school or get drafted.

Unfortunately we're really only a 1-income family living in expensive beach suburbia and just can't afford to spend thousands of dollars on club.
If it is really something you/she is interested in then you can likely find something that would fit your situation. Talk to clubs/coaches/parents and see about varying options. It sounds like she just needs more time to keep up with the clubbers.

I am more familiar with baseball for this type of thing but I would assume that there would be many options for you (especially in your area).
We're looking into it, at least for some summer programs to start. We can probably afford a couple/few hundred here and there, but the 2-3k for a club thing just can't happen at this point. I'm buckin' for a promotion/raise so perhaps we get lucky in the next 4-6 months. She has the talent fo sho.

We're looking into it, at least for some summer programs to start. We can probably afford a couple/few hundred here and there, but the 2-3k for a club thing just can't happen at this point. I'm buckin' for a promotion/raise so perhaps we get lucky in the next 4-6 months. She has the talent fo sho.
Not sure if its the same everywhere but we paid monthly for softball

Interesting.

My daughter's also going to be in 8th next school year. She made the 7th grade team and at the start of the season it was evident she was one of the more talented players. As the season went on, it seemed like she was trying to do too much. It was evident the other girls (ALL of them play on one "club" or another; most of them play for a highly-respected local club that's like a couple/few G's a year) were getting better because they had multiple days of playing with each other and were able to "specialize". The coach tried my daughter out at "libero" because she literally flies all over the court and will get on the ground more than any other player. But then yeah, it seemed like she was getting out of position, something the other girls weren't doing because they play together regularly in the "club" and are getting more experience. By the end of the season she rode the bench and in the semi-final game, got in and promptly was out of position and jacked up a return.

She plays in the "city" league and is clearly one of the best players on her team. She also does a weekly "skills class" through the city and she's one of the best players there. She takes this super serious and I want her to succeed. Unfortunately we're really only a 1-income family living in expensive beach suburbia and just can't afford to spend thousands of dollars on club.
The club my daughter is in isn't cheap but isn't too expensive either. And their home court is less than 5 min away from us.

She started playing at school in 5th grade. 6th is when they start try out and A/B teams. 6th she was B team. She said she had a terrible try out and that tracks as she gets nervous and gets even less aggressive than normal which is a level I wish she got much more aggressive from. We got her in the club team. Each summer I have got her in vball camps and clinics. Some from the club and some from HS like I said along with bball camps. She progressed. This last year she made A team. She wasn't the best but one of the better girls for both the school and club teams. She isn't flashy but has a solid all around skillset. In both the club and school teams she has been moved around to fill a hole if a player wasn't there. She has played every position except libero.

We don't know what school she will go to. Though she is in Catholic school now the Catholic HS tuitions are a lot more and I am unsure we can afford it. I really would like to avoid the public school because I just have no faith in the public school systems these days even though we are in a very good school district and the HS is supposed to be one of the better ones. But it may end up being the choice by default.

Maybe look around to other HS's in the area. The private schools, even though she isn't going to go, should have camps for her. The more time she has to develop the better for her and hopefully get some decent coaching along the way. It sounds like she has the drive to make it work for her.

My son's baseball team lost a close one in the State Championship game last night 4-5. We got behind early and battled back in the 6th scoring 3 but left the bases loaded. My son came in to pitch in relief down 5-1 in the 4th with 2 runners on and 1 out and ended up going 2 2/3rd scoreless innings giving up 2 singles and no walks. I was very proud of him keeping us right there and he looked great and not nervous in front of a crowded stadium. The three seniors took it especially hard as expected and it took them a long time to gain their exposure and leave the field.

No rest for him as he joins his summer ball team for practice today.

What is his plan for arm rest leading into college? Is there any chance he goes somewhere other than the CC he plans to go to? I ask that regarding the summer team necessity and whether that is necessary after throwing 50+ innings this year.

One of the things my son's college coach recommended was to take the summer off of throwing based on the innings he threw this year (78 IP). Backing out from the start of fall workouts with the college and getting 6-8 week of arm rest and then a ramp up time to be ready for fall it didn't leave a lot of calendar time to get any summer ball in. I was just wondering if it was a thought or concern for you at this point and if his college coach had any thoughts on the subject.

What is his plan for arm rest leading into college? Is there any chance he goes somewhere other than the CC he plans to go to? I ask that regarding the summer team necessity and whether that is necessary after throwing 50+ innings this year.

One of the things my son's college coach recommended was to take the summer off of throwing based on the innings he threw this year (78 IP). Backing out from the start of fall workouts with the college and getting 6-8 week of arm rest and then a ramp up time to be ready for fall it didn't leave a lot of calendar time to get any summer ball in. I was just wondering if it was a thought or concern for you at this point and if his college coach had any thoughts on the subject.
That is definitely a concern of mine. We debated taking the summer off to rest. However, his summer team has a lot of arms so I don't think he will be worn out this summer. I did not talk with his college coach about this other than letting him know he is playing summer ball again.

I agree here.....if he is already commited and threw a lot this spring.....rest is best.

However, his summer team has a lot of arms so I don't think he will be worn out this summer. I did not talk with his college coach about this other than letting him know he is playing summer ball again.

My worry is that even if he is throwing minimally in games he is still working and throwing to be ready for game action. That means he doesn't get any arm rest and then will roll right into fall college work outs with little to no downtime. My worry isn't necessarily the additional innings it is the lack of arm rest between the summer and rolling right into a college schedule of practice/games/etc.

As @Todem pointed out if he is already committed to a college so that the summer games aren't getting him seen to improve his college options it may not be worth the risk of getting no downtime. Just something to think about.

I suggest you have him talk to the college coach to get an idea of what type of arm condition he is expected to be in come fall. My son asked his college coach this question in the discussion as to whether or not he should play through the summer. This is when the coach suggested he take the summer off for arm rest. He said their will be ramp up time in the fall as he won't be expected to throw full pen's and live batters from the get go so there is some build up time but he should be through a lot of the normal arm build up process coming in. Talking with my son he wants to be ready to provide a good first impression and fresh for that. His coach also is a big proponent of arm rest with no throwing activity at some point in the year for arm health. He wants all his pitchers to have 6-8 weeks of no throwing at some point.

I am sure you are well aware of all these things having gone through this yourself. Just some points to think about and discuss and might be a good way to start a dialogue with the college coach about fall expectations. I would be interested to get another viewpoint if you do see what their thoughts are.

Not sure where else to put this one...hoping someone has some insight/suggestions...

On the plus side, my son graduated this year and is committed to playing D1 baseball. On top of that, his HS team is making a run for the state playoffs and is one of the final four teams left standing. This weekend will seal their HS careers. He's excited, as he should be. Later this month is his last hurrah with his summer team. Five weeks of tournament play with a guys he's played with since he was eight years old, as well as some "new faces" who's been on the team for the last three years. Again, he's very excited.

Graduation party yesterday, and he gets a text from his soon to be college coach. He was with family and friends, so didn't read it until late last night. By the time he got home and read it, he also found a text from his soon to be Pitching Coach (who had recruited him for the school). Both texts say the same thing, the school has released all coaches but the HC. The HC is going to have a call with all incoming players later this week to discuss state of the program, room assignments, and when to report over the summer.

Son has gone from being excited to nervous and not sure what's next. His relationship with the PC is what drew him to the school. He likes the HC, but hasn't built a relationship with him other than a couple of texts. He is in a daze. Not sure how to help guide him, or even if I can - never been in this spot before. Wife and I are giving him some room to digest it all - telling him that we're here when/if he wants to talk about things. He still wants to go there for school and to play ball. They have his major, a good program, and he sees opportunity for playing time. He's just worried about the unknown, which is reasonable.

However, his summer team has a lot of arms so I don't think he will be worn out this summer. I did not talk with his college coach about this other than letting him know he is playing summer ball again.

My worry is that even if he is throwing minimally in games he is still working and throwing to be ready for game action. That means he doesn't get any arm rest and then will roll right into fall college work outs with little to no downtime. My worry isn't necessarily the additional innings it is the lack of arm rest between the summer and rolling right into a college schedule of practice/games/etc.

As @Todem pointed out if he is already committed to a college so that the summer games aren't getting him seen to improve his college options it may not be worth the risk of getting no downtime. Just something to think about.

I suggest you have him talk to the college coach to get an idea of what type of arm condition he is expected to be in come fall. My son asked his college coach this question in the discussion as to whether or not he should play through the summer. This is when the coach suggested he take the summer off for arm rest. He said their will be ramp up time in the fall as he won't be expected to throw full pen's and live batters from the get go so there is some build up time but he should be through a lot of the normal arm build up process coming in. Talking with my son he wants to be ready to provide a good first impression and fresh for that. His coach also is a big proponent of arm rest with no throwing activity at some point in the year for arm health. He wants all his pitchers to have 6-8 weeks of no throwing at some point.

I am sure you are well aware of all these things having gone through this yourself. Just some points to think about and discuss and might be a good way to start a dialogue with the college coach about fall expectations. I would be interested to get another viewpoint if you do see what their thoughts are.
LSU just brought in Jump who threw 103 pitches Friday Night to try and close out tonights game vs NC.

This is why we have an outbreak in TJ surgeries.

This is insane.

Not sure where else to put this one...hoping someone has some insight/suggestions...

On the plus side, my son graduated this year and is committed to playing D1 baseball. On top of that, his HS team is making a run for the state playoffs and is one of the final four teams left standing. This weekend will seal their HS careers. He's excited, as he should be. Later this month is his last hurrah with his summer team. Five weeks of tournament play with a guys he's played with since he was eight years old, as well as some "new faces" who's been on the team for the last three years. Again, he's very excited.

Graduation party yesterday, and he gets a text from his soon to be college coach. He was with family and friends, so didn't read it until late last night. By the time he got home and read it, he also found a text from his soon to be Pitching Coach (who had recruited him for the school). Both texts say the same thing, the school has released all coaches but the HC. The HC is going to have a call with all incoming players later this week to discuss state of the program, room assignments, and when to report over the summer.

Son has gone from being excited to nervous and not sure what's next. His relationship with the PC is what drew him to the school. He likes the HC, but hasn't built a relationship with him other than a couple of texts. He is in a daze. Not sure how to help guide him, or even if I can - never been in this spot before. Wife and I are giving him some room to digest it all - telling him that we're here when/if he wants to talk about things. He still wants to go there for school and to play ball. They have his major, a good program, and he sees opportunity for playing time. He's just worried about the unknown, which is reasonable.
Let him have a good conversation with his soon to be head coach and go from there.

Let us know how it goes.

My thoughts would be to have the conversation with the HC and see what he has to say. He might be more comfortable with staying. If not, then perhaps looking at plan B. I assume he had other offers? I would think it is very late in the recruiting cycle but if he really wants to hit the eject button then looking at those offers again and seeing if they are still available.

Failing all of that, I would try to ease his mind and walk him through.... you go to the school and it is great and you stay. You go to the school and it isn't so great and you can enter the transfer portal and make a change. Kids tend to over react to the immediate and don't see the bigger picture and that a year in college isn't going to make or break him and that he has options if it doesn't go the way he wants.

He also may want to reach out to the pitching coach and see if he has any idea where he might be going and if that relationship might be worth trying to follow him.

This swim season has been an absolute :tfp:

I had really hoped that my son would be able to build on last season and make even more progress.... potentially even threaten a couple of club records.

But then we started the season off with a lot of missed practices for other sports. When that ended, we missed a lot of practices due to him being a PIA. We made our way through that and then we noticed that his Fly times were increasing dramatically. This happened once before and it was due to a growth spurt which throws off the timing/rhythm of the stroke and sure enough, he had a growth spurt (which is good long term so whatever). Finally, I was looking at him getting into the home stretch of the season and hopefully dropping some times and making regionals and maybe state in some events. And then he got this rash thing that the Doctor doesn't want him in the water. So, he is missing at least one meet (tomorrow) and at least another week of practice.

It kind of sucks going from high expectations and hopes for the season and everything breaking against him. The good thing is that since he isn't as passionate about swim as his other sports, he is taking it in stride and it doesn't seem to be bothering him much.

On a positive note, it really seemed like this season would be his last in swim at the start when it was WWIII with fighting about practice etc. Since him and I have got a better understanding and working relationship- his attitude has really changed. He even did say he was bummed about missing the meet tomorrow which is a very good sign.

Agree about talking to the coach first and then going from there.

I mentioned upthread a year or two or five that my oldest best friends kid signed as a 94mph HS sophomore with UArizona. The next year the entire coaching staff left and either he or the new staff pulled his offer. Ended up hurt and limped his way through the end of HS, ending up at a far less prestigious college, both for school and baseball. While there his freshman year, the same thing happened again with the coaching staff (perhaps with some scandal involved) Ended up going to JuCo with his HS pitching coach, who also ended up leaving himself after his first year.

I don't know if this kid just had **** luck or if that's somewhat common. But it's great that there's at least a coach left for your kid and they want to talk.

Friends kid Just wrapped up his final year of JuCo ball losing in the state semis and having an awful outing in relief to end his career. I'm hoping he holds on to try to make it in whatever route is open to him.. he's been all-in on playing pro ball since he was like 14.

Let him have a good conversation with his soon to be head coach and go from there.

Let us know how it goes.

This is really the best advice at this point. Until he knows what the HC is planning there is no need to guess.

I think contacted the PC who he had a good relationship might be a good thing to get more info to help in the decision making.

Fwiw the school my daughter is at the coach recruiting her retired mid recruiting. Rising senior summer. She got a couple offers and waited for the new coach to be hired. She had a phone call with her and committed.

We were more committing to the school than the coach. We are not D1 though so we're getting money regardless.

So far so good

Let us know how it goes.
This is where we're at right now. HC texted yesterday and said he'd have a Zoom call with incoming guys this week. So we'll see where it goes from there.
I've had the conversation with him to wait and see what happens. His older sister (not sports related) also transferred schools after her freshman year. So we've had that transfer conversation already, just based on school fit. So he's aware of it - not interested in that yet, but he's aware.

He also replied to the PC to let him know he was sorry to hear about the change, wished him good luck and told him that he was a big part of choosing to go to that school. Son knows not to burn any bridges, and we told him that relationship may turn into another opportunity down the road if he does want/need to leave.

But updates later after the call. Thanks everyone!

So the next step is your son needs to make that public. Via Twitter and Instagram and tagging the coaching staff at the said D2 school. That effectively "takes him off the market"

“I am excited to announce my commitment to continue my academic and athletic career by committing to ABC University, I want to thank "insert all here"

Then he will sign a letter of intent on National Signing day at his high school that will be provided to him by his college coach. I think you told me he already applied and was accepted to the school? Was there any academic money they offered him? You can negotiate that as well FYI.

Well here you go:

Signing Day

So the next step is your son needs to make that public. Via Twitter and Instagram and tagging the coaching staff at the said D2 school. That effectively "takes him off the market"

“I am excited to announce my commitment to continue my academic and athletic career by committing to ABC University, I want to thank "insert all here"

Then he will sign a letter of intent on National Signing day at his high school that will be provided to him by his college coach. I think you told me he already applied and was accepted to the school? Was there any academic money they offered him? You can negotiate that as well FYI.

Well here you go:

Signing Day
You really lucked out with that username

Well here you go:

Signing Day
You really lucked out with that username
I couldn't believe it went it was the one assigned to me.

Users who are viewing this thread