What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Drake Maye, NE (1 Viewer)

Peyton Manning isn’t a lock for 1. Ryan Leaf is in the mix.

CJ Stroud isn’t a lock for 1. Bryce Young is in the mix.
You couldn't be more off on Williams vs Maye.
Also, I don't think IHEARTFF meant Maye = Leaf. I took the meaning to be that even with guys like Stroud and Manning, there was doubt as to who was the best QB in the draft that year.

Huh. I thought he meant something to that effect. Usually you don't use two terrible quarterbacks as examples unless you're making a point.

If the issues being talked about regarding Caleb Williams lack of maturity and mental fortitude wind up manifesting themselves, it's Williams who's going to wind up arcing like Leaf, not Maye.

If the issues being talked about regarding Caleb Williams lack of maturity and mental fortitude wind up manifesting themselves, it's Williams who's going to wind up arcing like Leaf, not Maye.
I've got a good friend who is very close with Maye, and he will NEVER be a problem for whoever drafts him. He comes from a good family, strong faith, and loves the game. I don't know how great a QB he will be, but I am sure if he fails it won't be because of off the field issues or lack of effort/passion for the game.

I've got a good friend who is very close with Maye, and he will NEVER be a problem for whoever drafts him. He comes from a good family, strong faith, and loves the game. I don't know how great a QB he will be, but I am sure if he fails it won't be because of off the field issues or lack of effort/passion for the game.
Tim Tebow 2.0?

Is this a data driven opinion or more of a gut feel?
Both
Care to expand on that a little?
6'4 230. Athletic as heck. Can run away from pressure. Arm like a howitzer.

And then you listen to him and you listen to people that know him. He checks all the boxes.

Also, I don't think IHEARTFF meant Maye = Leaf. I took the meaning to be that even with guys like Stroud and Manning, there was doubt as to who was the best QB in the draft that year.

Huh. I thought he meant something to that effect. Usually you don't use two terrible quarterbacks as examples unless you're making a point.

Truthfully I haven’t done enough Maye research to know if he’s likely to be a bust, but I caution anytime there’s a change in the narrative this time of year to the likely consensus top pick.

Truthfully I haven’t done enough Maye research to know if he’s likely to be a bust, but I caution anytime there’s a change in the narrative this time of year to the likely consensus top pick.
There's no change. Williams is definitely the consensus number 1 still. For me personally as a Bears fan I think I'd prefer Maye, especially if they can get a haul from Washington to swap spots.

I have a totally irrational dislike for him as a prospect
Still haunted by the timeout 21 years ago?
Perhaps, I had the unfortunate circumstance of being in a North Carolina hotel bar watching it as it happened but I don't think my wires usually cross sport wise and so I have no reason to ever have even the slightest distaste for UNC football. If you didn't pay close attention, you could go without ever realizing they had a football program.

David J. Gautieri
Drake Maye

⁃ 5-star recruit (98 Prospect Grade)

⁃ 4,321 passing yards, 8.4 Y/A, 38-7 TD-INT ratio in first year as starter

⁃ Only QB in this class (other than Caleb Williams) to post an 89.0+ PFF Passing Grade in multiple seasons

⁃ Lowest turnover-worthy throw % (2.1%) out of the Top-6 QB’s in this class

⁃ Skilled as a rusher (100+ attempts, 450+ yards, & 7+ rushing TD’s in both years as starter)

⁃ Early-declare

⁃ Projected Top-5 NFL Draft pick

Count me IN.

Dane Brugler
Talked about this on the pod, but Drake Maye doesn't get enough credit for his ability to create with his legs (by design or when improvising).

1st down carries on 3rd/4th down last 2 yrs:
42 - Maye
31 - Bo Nix
23 - Caleb Williams
22 - Jayden Daniels
14 - JJ McCarthy
12 - Penix

Barak O’drama
His last year he digressed just like Sam Howell did. Accuracy is a big problem.

Dane Brugler
Can he improve his accuracy? Yes. But I very much disagree that his accuracy is a "big problem." I also disagree that he regressed. He lost 181 targets from last year and his supporting cast in 2023 played a major part in the offense's inconsistency.

Still have more to watch, but Maye certainly looks to have some Justin Herbert to his game. For his sake I hope he doesn't end up in Washington with Kliff Kingsbury's horizontal raid offense. It would be kinda funny/rare for him to go to Washington after backing up Howell as a freshman at UNC.

Still have more to watch, but Maye certainly looks to have some Justin Herbert to his game. For his sake I hope he doesn't end up in Washington with Kliff Kingsbury's horizontal raid offense. It would be kinda funny/rare for him to go to Washington after backing up Howell as a freshman at UNC.
You probably know this but it's worth mentioning that both Howell and Maye played most of their college careers in the Air Raid system and Maye regressed when that system changed. Not that I'm saying that was the reason.

You probably know this but it's worth mentioning that both Howell and Maye played most of their college careers in the Air Raid system and Maye regressed when that system changed. Not that I'm saying that was the reason.

Not saying I totally buy it yet, but KK and the staff in general is doing a lot of talking about the system intending to be flexible based on the talent and not the air raid we’ve seen from him in the past. And if you look at the coaching staff that’s been assembled, Kingsbury, Brian Johnson, and Anthony Lynn aren’t previously connected and have a lot of different specialties.

Again, I’ll need to see to believe, but there’s a real chance KK was brought more to help develop whichever QB they take rather than install any specific offense. He specifically is saying what I was hoping to hear because no part of me wants his old system coming to DC. Think it’s pretty clear that pre-snap motion, play-action, and much more variable personnel and formations are what’s working best in the league.

So the puzzle pieces fit together for some hybrid or even majorly different system being installed. Or it could just be blowing smoke. Free agency and the draft should help give a solid clue based on who they bring in because right now it’s Terry, Dotson and nothing else worth mentioning at WR. And even if they do take Maye at QB (which I think they will), that itself doesn’t imply air raid to me necessarily. It could, or it could just be he’s the guy they like best. We will see but there has been a lot of temporary relief on the team message board from the (many) folks who hated the idea of the Air Raid.

Terry, Dotson and nothing else worth mentioning at WR.

Maybe they can coax Antonio Gandy-Golden out of retirement.

I kid. Drafted that guy in the third in my infancy of dynasty playing. Not . . . a good pick. At all.

Wonder who will be their third WR? I'd bet Curtis Samuel gets paid reasonably on the open market. He's way more valuable to a team than a fantasy team. But you never know. If I'm Washington and nobody comes calling, I'd have him back.

Last edited:
Terry, Dotson and nothing else worth mentioning at WR.

Maybe they can coax Antonio Gandy-Golden out of retirement.

I kid. Drafted that guy in the third in my infancy of dynasty playing. Not . . . a good pick. At all.

Wonder who will be their third WR? I'd bet Curtis Samuel gets paid reasonably on the open market. He's way more valuable to a team than a fantasy team. But you never know. If I'm the Skins and nobody comes calling, I'd have him back.

I assume they’d be interested depending on price, but I also think a lot of teams would be. Also think Wash will prioritize spending on OL, LB, S, and TE and look to the draft to add to WR.

He’s like the consolation WR prize in free agency that should find a home after the top guys sign. Think he’s perfect for KC.

I didn't think he regressed at all. I mean his passer rating went down 8 points, but I think that's from losing his #1 WR (Josh Downs) who showed he's an NFL starter as a rookie. I'm pretty ok with that.

I just dislike Kingsbury. I typically kinda like former HCs (especially young ones) getting coordinator jobs, but thought it was a bad hire, and I have no idea how he was so highly regarded, after being bad (28-38) in Arizona. I still don't know how he got the Arizona job even. Kingsbury wasn't a good college coach. He was the coach at Texas Tech for 6 years, never had a top-25 finish, and was below .500 4 out of 6 years. Dude had a losing record with Patrick Mahomes.

As an aside, I think Sam Howell, while not a guy I can make a case for sticking with (unlike Fields) certainly looks like a guy who can be good in spurts. I wonder if he might carve out a Ryan Fitzpatrick/Tyrod Taylor career. There is a part of me that thinks Washington doesn't even go QB at #2, and goes after Fields, or Russ, and takes Harrison at #2. A Harrison/McLaurin/Dotson trio would be a tough ask for any secondary, even with mediocre play calling.

As an aside, I think Sam Howell, while not a guy I can make a case for sticking with (unlike Fields) certainly looks like a guy who can be good in spurts. I wonder if he might carve out a Ryan Fitzpatrick/Tyrod Taylor career. There is a part of me that thinks Washington doesn't even go QB at #2, and goes after Fields, or Russ, and takes Harrison at #2. A Harrison/McLaurin/Dotson trio would be a tough ask for any secondary, even with mediocre play calling.
As a Howell owner in tons of dynasty leagues, I sure hope they don't go QB at 1.2. ;( Harrison, Terry, Dotson, that would be a filthy trio of weapons. Give the man time to throw and better balanced play calling and we could have something.

Nick Whalen
I'm watching Drake Maye All22 film tonight.

He's very impressive.
-Big game hunter(takes lot of deep shots and wants to make big plays)
-Very good deep ball accuracy
-Fits the ball into tight spaces
-Best arm strength in the class
-Athletic
-Tries to make too many plays and it creates turnovers
-Will scramble out of clean pockets at times and move too quickly with a little pressure instead of side stepping

Let me know any questions y'all have about him.

Derek Brown
My comp is early career Stafford.

Maye’s deep ball is his special sauce. Short & Int accuracy is good not great. He’s athletic but I don’t see the rushing translating a ton. Will be a good starter in the league for awhile.

Nick Whalen
I like the Stafford comp.

I thought Josh Allen to Jay Cutler.
-very strong arm
-special throws making big plays
-but also what the ##$% throws

Drake Maye had 79 big time throws final 2 seasons per PFF

Since 2020 draft class, no 1st round QB has more than 59

next closest is Patrick Mahomes at 72 BTT final 2 years.

:drive:

Man I'd love to see Wash offer a haul to swap with the Bears for Williams so the Bears can take this kid.
Stop trying to give me an aneurysm! I will not be a happy Bears fan they draft Maye. Dude folds like a cheap suit when under pressure and often freaked out and left clean pockets. He's not super athletic either and that makes for a rough combination. For those of us who have watched more than just highlights of his game play, he absolutely got rattled against pressure. He looked absolutely shellshocked against a slightly better than average NC State defense toward the end of the season. ACC teams had figured out that pressure early/often could get under his skin. Sure, it led to some big play throws, but it also led to INTs, sacks, and containing him. I'd challenge any advocates of Maye to go back and watch that game. It's a legit blueprint on how to keep Maye contained. I'm also not convinced that is a trait/habit you can coach out.

Last edited:
Man I'd love to see Wash offer a haul to swap with the Bears for Williams so the Bears can take this kid.
Stop trying to give me an aneurysm! I will not be a happy Bears fan they draft Maye. Dude folds like a cheap suit when under pressure and often freaked out and left clean pockets. He's not super athletic either and that makes for a rough combination. For those of us who have watched more than just highlights of his game play, he absolutely got rattled against pressure. He looked absolutely shellshocked against a slightly better than average NC State defense toward the end of the season. ACC teams had figured out that pressure early/often could get under his skin. Sure, it led to some big play throws, but it also led to INTs, sacks, and containing him. I'd challenge any advocates of Maye to go back and watch that game. It's a legit blueprint on how to keep Maye contained. I'm also not convinced that is a trait/habit you can coach out.
Very hesitant to take this seriously after you say he's not very athletic. That's just completely false.

Very hesitant to take this seriously after you say he's not very athletic. That's just completely false.
You do you, but Maye is not an ultra athlete that will beat you with his feet like Hurts/Lamar/Fields/Arich. That was the point.

You do you, but Maye is not an ultra athlete that will beat you with his feet like Hurts/Lamar/Fields/Arich. That was the point.
Oh no... That I agree with. But he's definitely athletic enough to escape pressure and run for a first down on a broken play.

There's not much difference between Maye and Daniels that we will find prior to them playing in the NFL. They both throw nice balls. They run well (despite some posts above... Maye can run quite well for a QB). They have size. Daniels seems scared to pass over the middle but that could be LSU's scheme. Otherwise I see little difference. Williams is a different QB. Shorter. Better movement within the pocket and behind the LoS. More willing to keep his eyes downfield. He's much more of a playmaker.

It really comes down to what CHI, then WAS, want. Both of those teams could get by with their current QB and trade out for a haul to say ATL or PIT. Then pick up a QB in round 2 (Penix, McCarthy, Nix). But why would they? You only get a shot at a top QB every blue moon. The regret of passing up a SB caliber QB could haunt them a long long time.

I imagine this is going Williams #1, Maye #2, and Daniels #3. Even is a team trades up. But who the hell knows. CHI really needs to take QB here. They are still gonna get a great player at #9. Maybe a LT. Some nice WRs will be on the board. And they'll get something in return for Fields in Rd 2 or 3.

Last edited:
Kurt Benkert
Just finished my Drake Maye review.

He’s a more athletic Mason Rudolph with less arm Talent (and a lot less accuracy).

He has a lot of backyard football in his game but doesn’t have the athletic upside that I think it requires to live in that world as often as he does.

He’s super raw with his footwork and pocket presence. His ball placement needs serious improvement. Defensive recognition struggles a bit (but I don’t know what he’s being coached to do so it can’t be all on him).

However - dude will stand in there and take a hit while delivering across the middle. He’s a 3rd down threat as a runner which is a checked box in the NFL.

All in all, I see the potential upside, but he’s got a ways to go to reach it. He also needs to be in a good situation with a good coach & probably a quarterback in front of him to mentor him to get him caught up to speed.

Ideally - he ends up in a Jordan Love situation. Sits for a few years, cleans his game up learns behind-the-scenes then gets his chance.

If he goes to a bad team early in round 1 and is forced to play.. that may be all she wrote.

It really comes down to what CHI, then WAS, want. Both of those teams could get by with their current QB and trade out for a haul to say ATL or PIT. Then pick up a QB in round 2 (Penix, McCarthy, Nix). But why would they? You only get a shot at a top QB every blue moon. The regret of passing up a SB caliber QB could haunt them a long long time.
McCarthy is going in the top 15.

Josh Norris
Drake Maye scouts Drake Maye 👀👀

There seems to already be plenty of debate around the UNC QB ahead of the 2024 NFL Draft.

So watch him breakdown his own game: youtube.com/watch?v=IezmMz…

Was so much fun to sit down and observe Drake Maye and Colt McCoy talk ball

We went through some of Drake's pre-snap responsibilities, his favorite plays and much more

youtube.com/watch?v=IezmMz…

From The Athletics Nate Tice

Maye is able to attack this way because of his combination of size (6-foot-4, 229 pounds), athleticism and pocket awareness. His footwork is bouncy in the pocket, where he constantly shows a feel for pressure (which he did often, considering North Carolina’s struggles in protection) and ability to drift and work away from it. That feel isn’t to just run and scramble. Instead, Maye keeps his eyes downfield while getting pressured to find ways to attack defenses. Maye’s strong arm and aggressive style aren’t the only features of his passing game. He is accurate at all three levels and viable on all types of throws and concepts. Maye shows touch on intermediate throws to get it up and over defenders, and is consistently accurate on underneath throws. Combined with his velocity, his throws create plenty of yards-after-catch opportunities for his receivers, even when tightly covered.

He also has the second part needed from a modern franchise quarterback: Maye can create and extend plays with his legs. He has the speed to beat defenders to the edge, runs with toughness and displays genuine vision as a runner. It’s not just traits, either; there is tangible production with Maye as a scrambler (along with the designed runs that North Carolina sprinkles in). Among 35 FBS quarterbacks with 30 or more scrambles in 2023, Maye finished second in first-down rate and was second in expected points added with his scrambles.

Just finished my Drake Maye review.He’s a more athletic Mason Rudolph with less arm Talent (and a lot less accuracy).He has a lot of backyard football in his game but doesn’t have the athletic upside that I think it requires to live in that world as often as he does.He’s super raw with his footwork and pocket presence. His ball placement needs serious improvement. Defensive recognition struggles a bit (but I don’t know what he’s being coached to do so it can’t be all on him).However - dude will stand in there and take a hit while delivering across the middle. He’s a 3rd down threat as a runner which is a checked box in the NFL.All in all, I see the potential upside, but he’s got a ways to go to reach it. He also needs to be in a good situation with a good coach & probably a quarterback in front of him to mentor him to get him caught up to speed.Ideally - he ends up in a Jordan Love situation. Sits for a few years, cleans his game up learns behind-the-scenes then gets his chance.If he goes to a bad team early in round 1 and is forced to play.. that may be all she wrote.

Who is Kurt Benkert? I know they're now making fun of Daniel Kelly on Twitter (I was unaware of this when I started getting on him in here), but I think they're getting on Benkert, too. I saw that retweeted with a negative comment about it.

Mason Rudolph? Really?

Who is Kurt Benkert? I know they're now making fun of Daniel Kelly on Twitter (I was unaware of this when I started getting on him in here), but I think they're getting on Benkert, too. I saw that retweeted with a negative comment about it.

Mason Rudolph? Really?
UDFA QB that bounced around the league on practice squads for a while then "played" in the XFL for a season. Probably jumping on the former NFL QB analyst bandwagon. His Rudolph comp is probably 100% engagement fishing, but his analysis is not wrong from what I've seen. It's interesting that there are such HUGE divergent opinions on Maye. That would concern me as a GM.

The Combine is going to be huge for Maye. He hasn't thrown a meaningful pass since Nov, so the scouting community has had a lot of time to pick through his game and identify flaws. I think his size and upside are appealing, but his film and game results aren't amazing.

Seems like a good kid and comes from an athletic family. I think he is the most overrated QB in the field right now.

Ted Nguyen
Maye sees the FS double outside and uncorks a beauty down the middle vs blitz

Ron Stewart
The Drake Maye discourse feels a lot like when Justin Herbert was coming out. Just overthinking due to prospect fatigue

Thats an NFL arm. Mayes big as hell with all the tools. Does he miss some layups? Sure. But I have to think hell get his footwork cleaned up in the NFL

Users who are viewing this thread