What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Audric Estimé, DEN (3 Viewers)

NFL Rookie Watch
Audric Estime is reportedly starting to be viewed as the “RB1” in next year’s draft by many NFL scouts as of now.
Many NFL scouts reportedly believe Estime is “freakish” for his size (5’11”, 227 lbs), as he clocked in speeds upwards of 20.9 MPH this season.

Estime has drawn many comparisons to Jerome Bettis given his size and his play style.

Bettis even endorsed the nickname “baby bus” for Estime.

The Fighting Irish have a SPECIAL talent at RB

Big, POWERFUL RB, really nice footwork for a big fella. Not saying he will become Bus Bettis, but has that kind of skill/size. Buffalo would make sense, a place with a quick smaller back to pair him up with, power the ball, run clock, get goal line carries. I younger/better Lat Murray. Cant recall his pass catching abilities, but dont think they are a negative. I watch all ND games for 30 years. He was a joy to watch.

If I'm taking a big RB this guys looks a lot more interesting than Braelon Allen at the next level.

Snoog’s Dynasty Society
It's not often you see a 5'11 227 pound RB move this fluid 👀

Notre Dame RB, Audric Estime had a monstrous 2023 season tallying 200+ touches for 1,300+ rushing yards on 18 touchdowns

Workhorse size, capable receiver, monster after contact, good vision/missed tackle forcer, and explosive in short areas/good long speed at size.

#NFLDraft2024

Woeful in the other drills as well. Looks like a tanker alongside speedboats
Really? I thought I saw his explosive drills were 90th percentile, just ran slow. I mean I’m not really into him either way.
Good jumps for a 221 lb RB.
Kyren also ran a 4.7 out of ND at the combine. Maybe ND just doesn't train their guys for the 40 well?
I don’t know, that seems like a weird thing to say ND gets these great athletes and works them to be explosive leapers but they don’t ever focus on speed? That doesn’t seem to make sense to me but maybe.

Woeful in the other drills as well. Looks like a tanker alongside speedboats
Really? I thought I saw his explosive drills were 90th percentile, just ran slow. I mean I’m not really into him either way.
Good jumps for a 221 lb RB.
Kyren also ran a 4.7 out of ND at the combine. Maybe ND just doesn't train their guys for the 40 well?
4.65. Tested poorly for sure and I crushed him for it but his skill set was very strong, exceptional pass protector and receiver. I dropped him for sure after the combine but he still seemed like someone worth a mid round rookie draft pick.

Estime is hovering in DND land.

Yeah 4.65 for kyren. I wasn't really serious about the ND link just thought it was a funny coincidence.

I'm still interested in Estime if hes a top 4 round pick. Seems like an explosive, nimble big back with bad long speed based on these numbers and that jives with the tape.

Abysmal testing.

Then again, meet Kyren Williams. He was an abysmal tester also. I DND'd Williams because of it. Look how that turned out.

So who knows anymore? Maybe ND isn't coaching these kids the finer techniques they need for these events. It really is a track event to a degree, and there's always that possibility that it's not reflective of his speed or agility. Somebody should have told Estime to feign injury or something, though. His stock just sunk like the Titanic.

There's hope in spite of it all. James Robinson ran a 4.65 and see what he did before his Achilles' tendon injury. A 4.72 should be disqualifying, but we've seen weirder. I do know one thing. All the fantasy film grinders that lauded his explosiveness need to be taken with a real grain of salt going forward. I didn't see the explosiveness they saw. I saw a college back whose speed might not transfer to the pros.

The fantasy film grinders and amateur scouts are really suspect, in my estimation. I've come to that conclusion after a number of years playing this game.

Anyway, sad day for Estime. I wish the young man luck.

Abysmal testing.

Then again, meet Kyren Williams. He was an abysmal tester also. I DND'd Williams because of it. Look how that turned out.

So who knows anymore? Maybe ND isn't coaching these kids the finer techniques they need for these events. It really is a track event to a degree, and there's always that possibility that it's not reflective of his speed or agility. Somebody should have told Estime to feign injury or something, though. His stock just sunk like the Titanic.

There's hope in spite of it all. James Robinson ran a 4.65 and see what he did before his Achilles' tendon injury. A 4.72 should be disqualifying, but we've seen weirder. I do know one thing. All the fantasy film grinders that lauded his explosiveness need to be taken with a real grain of salt going forward. I didn't see the explosiveness they saw. I saw a college back whose speed might not transfer to the pros.

The fantasy film grinders and amateur scouts are really suspect, in my estimétion. I've come to that conclusion after a number of years playing this game.

Anyway, sad day for Estime. I wish the young man luck.
Fixed your post.

It's being reported that Estime ran between a 4.56-4.59 at his pro day, which is a marked improvement from his 4.7+ combine time.
Improvement ... but did he drop weight to get there or was it just track, field surface or additional training that made the difference.

Thanks for sharing this tidbit. I had him higher early .. but Combine #'s really pushed him down for me.

Combine #'s really pushed him down for me.

Yeah. He tested pretty much out of the range of a viable back and might not even get drafted because of it. So today was huge for him.

but did he drop weight to get there

I have no idea, but he's a big enough back that dropping ten pounds won't hurt him in the least. That's not really a concern. I'd say the big concern is how accurate the watches were.

Improvement ... but did he drop weight to get there or was it just track, field surface or additional training that made the difference.
I think it means his speed is fine.

My thinking now is that his consistent ceiling is capped. There will always be a better receiving back on his team. I could see him tearing off a string of games for you now and then, but he feels like a nice piece in a rotation--and that's even if he's good. I am hoping for him to succeed more as a fan of watching guys like that, rather than expecting RB1 numbers.

There will come a spot in the draft I won't let him fall, and them wait for him to go on a tear, and trade him.

I always thought in the past that pro day times were suspect at best.

Not necessarily. Combine forty times are also suspect if you listen to the wrong/right analysts. Waldman had a series of blog posts/articles about it just this year. Generally, I go by Player Profiler who compiled a ton of data and found that you can more or less add .5 to a pro day time for an accurate assessment of a player's forty.

I'm not stumping for Estime, nor have I fallen in love with his pro day time. I think if you look upthread I mention that the biggest question is whether or not we can trust today's watches from his pro day.

But I'm seeing on Twitter the same guys who tell you the combine doesn't matter because it's guys in underwear then turn around and mock the people paying attention to pro day because it's not the combine. Like, pick one, ****ers.

I don’t give any ****s about this dude's 40 time. He has tremendous first-step burst for his size. Lateral moves are mostly meh, but if he can even remotely read (run) and make (pass) blocks, he will be a problem in the NFL if he lands on a team that uses him proper.

I usually take the player profiler approach where I assume the pro day time is optimistic by .05-.1 seconds. I don't really mind a back of Estime's size running in the 4.65 range, considering he had some very impressive jump numbers for a big back that indicate he probably has the power to get through the hole quickly and break tackles.

I get the long speed concerns but it annoys me a bit that the other workouts that show he has good athletic traits for a RB are just completely ignored because of 40 time. But I guess if I get him later as a result it's not that annoying.

Doug Farrar
Audric Estime, RB, Notre Dame

PLUSES

-- Estime is equally conversant with gap and zone concepts; there won't be much of a transitional issue for him in any offense.

-- Estime forced 64 missed tackles last season on 209 carries, and his tape is replete with "F YOU" runs. If you're arm-tackling him, you will fail.

-- Patient at the line of scrimmage, and then can turn on a nice combination of power and acceleration. Lateral agility is a particular strength in closely contested areas. He's great at letting blocks play out.

-- Burst to the edge is a great and consistent trait.

-- Good enough with all the standard RB routes, and once he's going up against defensive backs, it's party time.

MINUSES

-- Had 14 negative runs in 2023; here's where the initial patience can be an occasional problem.

-- Estime's NFL team will want to work with him on his blocking techniques. He has the size and playing personality to block more consistently than he does; this is likely a matter of technique.

Estime is an excellent plug-and-play prospect for the NFL in that there aren't a lot of dings, and the good stuff is REALLY good. The only thing I wonder is whether that slow-to-accelerate style might get him in trouble at the next level.

Users who are viewing this thread