What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Eric Gray, NYG (1 Viewer)

Oklahoma senior RB Eric Gray carried 11 times for 113 yards and two touchdowns in a 49-14 victory over Nebraska.​

Gray (5'10/211) didn't need a heavy workload to cross the century mark, averaging a robust 10.3 yards per carry while making some dazzling moves along the way. His first touchdowns came on a 16-yard run where he threw out a perfectly timed dead-leg that allowed him to slip right between the trailing linebacker and filling safety for the score. He then took a carry off left guard to the second level and laid down a jab step to the right side that was so convincing he literally spun the Nebraska safety around the opposite direction as he waltzed into the end zone for a a 21-yard touchdown. Through three weeks, there may not be another running back in the nation that has increased his Devy/NFL Draft stock more than Eric Gray. He has gone from a fringe Devy RB15-20 in the 2023 NFL Draft Class to legitimate top-10 2023 RB consideration.
Sep 17, 2022, 5:06 PM ET

I do like Gray and he had a great year for us last year, but this must be a weak RB class if he is in the Top5 RBs. Note that he played behind Kennedy Brooks the year before who went undrafted, and is currently a free agent after Philly cut him from the practice squad. I think that says something about Gray and his talent. I do understand the college game is different from the NFL, but I just don’t see him being worth a Day 2 pick in the NFL (per the article above). My $0.02

I do like Gray and he had a great year for us last year, but this must be a weak RB class if he is in the Top5 RBs. Note that he played behind Kennedy Brooks the year before who went undrafted, and is currently a free agent after Philly cut him from the practice squad. I think that says something about Gray and his talent. I do understand the college game is different from the NFL, but I just don’t see him being worth a Day 2 pick in the NFL (per the article above). My $0.02
Good insight to his history. I had/have him as a "dart throw" pending draft location & team, but he is also a "follow" like SF D Mason player. Maybe a Preseason darling who never amounts to much

I think Lincoln Riley just really liked Kennedy Brooks for whatever reason. I mean, Brooks played ahead of Rhamondre Stevenson and Trey Sermon too (so much that Sermon transferred to Ohio St) so I'm not really holding that against Gray.

Personally, I can see Gray going anywhere from round 3 to round 5. I think he could be a top-5 RB in this class, though when I say that. I mean 5th.

Giants selected Oklahoma RB Eric Gray with the No. 172 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.​

Gray (5’10/207) broke out as a sophomore at Tennessee with over 1,000 yards from scrimmage on 157 carries and 30 catches. He then transferred to Oklahoma and was relegated to backup duties for a year until reclaiming a starting role in 2022. Gray ran for 1,366 yards and 11 scores on 213 carries while adding another 229 yards on 33 catches. The former Sooner is incredibly shifty but doesn’t show much power when challenged by defenders. He may need to be paired with a bigger back in the NFL, but Gray could emerge as a starting running back down the road.
Apr 29, 2023, 3:20 PM ET

Cover 4: Takeaways from Giants rookie minicamp

Excerpt:

Matt Citak: There was one thing that stood out to me seeing the rookies on the field for the first time: Eric Gray. The Giants selected the running back in the fifth round to bolster the team's depth and have a chance to carve out a role for himself in the offense. Gray is listed at 5-foot-10 and 210 pounds, and looks every bit of it. As soon as he stepped onto the practice field, it was hard not to notice the size of his legs. While Saquon Barkley has been referred to in the past as SaQuads, Gray could easily be SaQuads Jr.

More importantly, Gray's eagerness to learn jumped out. After receiving a rep during practice, the rookie was seen off on the side talking to coach Brian Daboll. Gray noted to the media after that the two were making sure he was getting used to Daboll's style of coaching and what he expects out of his running backs. Gray then went on to talk about how he plans on absorbing as much information as he can from Barkley while the two share the RB room this year. Finally, it's clear that the fifth-round pick does not lack confidence, as he believes his physical abilities that made him so successful in his final season at Oklahoma will translate well to the NFL.
"I think football is football in my opinion," Gray said. "I think you go out there, you work hard, you do what it takes on and off the field, and you let your body take over when you get out there."

Better future, Gray or Evans in LAR?
Tough call...

Gray - NYG rookie minicamp has shown he has the right to be there... "Thighs" are the word of the day. His compare to Saq and Staff thinks it will suit him well.
Only Matt Brieda as RB2 in NYG and he is JAG, give way to Gray if Saq does not sign tender /new contract.
Evans - limited RB concern in front of him; Akers (injury issue, last years rookie contract?), Kyren Williams (small ND 5th Round pick), and no name UDFA

Both offer RB Lottery Value; both could be replaced next year or show potential.
IMO, I like Gray over Evans. Just on the reviews, videos, physicality in his runs but he scored lower on RAS (6.57) than Evans (8.74)
Evans has a better chance for opportunity, but does not run with the same "force or power" IMO.

I took Evans, and Gray was sniped from me when I was on deck for my next pick, not that angry about it. It was a 50/50 call. I do like Evans in that offense, they need more from RB, Akers is so-so. Gray could be the guy in NY next year, but it wont be easy replacing Saquon if he is gone. I do think they keep resigning Saquon until he shows he cant do it anymore tho.

Putting a dot in this thread. As Saquon holds out, there will be work to gain in this backfield. Breida and Brightwell are not big obstacles IMO.

Austin Abbott @AustinAbbottFF
Rhamondre Stevenson:
College: Oklahoma
Day 3 pick
4.69 40 time
College TS: 37th%
College YPC: 34th%
College Career: 1,478 Yards, 13 TD’s
5’11 231

Eric Gray:
College: Oklahoma
Day 3 pick
4.67 40 time
College TS: 87th%
College YPC: 61st%
Senior Year: 1,595 yards, 11 TD’s
5’10 210

Do I expect Eric Gray to perform like Rhamondre did in year 2?

No.

Could he be worth stashing if Saquon actually sat out?

Absolutely.

Do I think Saquon will hold out this year?

No, I fully expect him to start week 1.

Eric Gray is worth a roster spot.

Did this guy get the start over Breida last weekend? Looks like he got the first carry.

He had 12 rushes to Breida’s 9.

As a Barkely owner playing the late game. I don’t want to start either of these guys… but as a late game option it may be all I have as a choice with limited wire options.

Already own Breida… can’t roster both so trying to figure out how best to protect myself even though both options seem pretty abysmal.

Did this guy get the start over Breida last weekend. Looks like he got the first carry.

As a Barkely owner playing the late game. I don’t want to start either of these guys… but as a late game option it may be all I have as a choice with limited wire options.

Already own Breida… can’t roster both so trying to figure out how best to protect myself even though both options seem pretty abysmal.
I don’t think either dude is the answer at this point.

Maybe down the road Gray shows a little something but I wouldn’t want to be starting him in meaningful FF games right now.

I don
Did this guy get the start over Breida last weekend. Looks like he got the first carry.

I don’t think either dude is the answer at this point.

Maybe down the road Gray shows a little something but I wouldn’t want to be starting him in meaningful FF games right now.
I don’t either, but injury after injury last weekend and still waiting on Barkley… with a barren wire… one of these two choices may quite literally be all I’ve got. Especially if Barkley is a GTD.

one of these two choices may quite literally be all I’ve got. Especially if Barkley is a GTD.
If that’s the case, and you’re just looking for the biggest floor play if Barkley is out, I probably give the edge to Breida.

Gray went 12/25, had 1 reception & fumbled.

Breida is meh, but he’s experienced enough for the coaches to trust him.

If DJones is out, that could be a long, long day for NYG offense. Actually even if Jones is in. lol

is he worth a deep stash? barkley likely gone.
I guess it depends on who else is available. Rarely does a team give the keys to someone like this after a veteran leaves. If Barkley is gone, expect the Giants to draft an RB, as well as bring in some type of a veteran free agent like Edwards, Zeke, Foreman, Singletary, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread