What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Malik Nabers, NYG (2 Viewers)

I think they are similar archetypes and that MHJ is simply the clearly superior prospect. If a team wanted a refined, big bodied receiver then I can't imagine why they would look past MHJ to draft Odunze. Nabers is fundamentally different to those two. I can see a team preferring him based on wanting a different sort of player.
My thoughts exactly.

If a team prioritizes explosive plays and YAC ability they might prefer Nabers over both of these two. But as you say, while not a one off, the archetype of MHJ and Odunze is similar. For example both have drawn comps to early career Larry Fitzgerald, big bodied outside WR's but hard to see a team actually preferring Odunze over MHJ but if they prioritze what Nabers offes that makes more sense.

I've heard the Deebo comparison a few times now and I just don't see it. Deebo is ~15 pounds heavier and much more likely to put his shoulder in. Malik is much more likely to make a move and be gone. I'm not saying he is Tyreek, but I think he's more Tyreek than he is Deebo.

I've heard the Deebo comparison a few times now and I just don't see it. Deebo is ~15 pounds heavier and much more likely to put his shoulder in. Malik is much more likely to make a move and be gone. I'm not saying he is Tyreek, but I think he's more Tyreek than he is Deebo.
They are good at YAC. That's about the comparison in totality right there.

A lot of lazy analysis about at the moment.

Agreed. Legette and Corley are also compared to Deebo. Probably more accurately.
I've been reading/hearing about some character/diva concerns around Nabers...hopefully not true.
I’ve heard plenty of diva / high maintenance comments about him. I’m not sure those qualify as character concerns. I’m not worried at all about WRs being divas. If there’s character concerns that’s different imo.

Bob McGinn's draft series begins

Excerpt:

MALIK NABERS, Louisiana State (6-0, 199, 4.44, 1): Third-year junior. “He’s that all-around, well-polished, freakishly athletic individual,” said one scout. “His traits just jump off the tape at you.” His pro day workout included a 42-inch vertical jump and 10-9 broad jump. “I absolutely love watching Malik Nabers,” a second scout said. “He’s not your typical size for an ‘X’ but he has the speed, the separation, routes and hands. Where he separates himself is run after catch. That’s what makes him such an exciting player. CeeDee Lamb is a little bit bigger; Nabers is more sudden and (has) better top-end speed.” A third scout graded him on a par with Justin Jefferson, another LSU product. “He’s powerful, he’s explosive and he can win at every level of route running, which makes him special as a high-floor player,” a fourth scout said. “He can run after the catch. He can run intermediate routes. He can track the deep ball.” Started 30 of 38 games. Finished with 189 catches for 3,003 (15.9) and 21 TDs. “He’s not Harrison,” a fifth scout said. “If you see that just ignore it. He’s more of the D.J. Moore kind of player. Thick running back build. He’s a good player, a really good player. I don’t think he has elite ball skills.” From Youngsville, La. “He is what he is right now,” said a sixth scout. “He’s topped out. Against the Alabama corners his production all came against zone coverage over the middle. When he was manned up he struggled. But he has straight dog in him once he catches the ball.”

I've been reading/hearing about some character/diva concerns around Nabers...hopefully not true.
I keep seeing this in other threads all of a sudden. Can you or anyone else point out something to back this up? Seems like draft day rumor stuff trying to drive his price down. He had no issues at LSU that I know of.

ESPN Post-draft analysis of Malik Nabers:

Post-Draft Analysis

Nabers brings an electrifying presence to the Giants. New York showed that they believe in Daniel Jones under center and got him a true WR1. Nabers led the country in receiving yards per game last season (120.7), and he can play in the slot -- where he caught 1,009 yards last season (fourth-most in the FBS) -- or outside for the Giants. He will team up with Jalin Hyatt and Wan'Dale Robinson to give this team a young trio to build around. -- Jordan Reid

Overall value: Bargain. Marvin Harrison Jr. is the top receiver on the board, but Nabers had the same grade and is third overall for me. The value and the Giants' need at the position make this an outstanding pick. -- Muench

Giants selected LSU WR Malik Nabers with the No. 6 overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft.

A true rolling ball of butcher knives, Nabers (6’0/200) pushed preordained No. 1 2024 wideout Marvin Harrison Jr. for top status in this draft class on the strength of his dominance after the catch. A rocket-ship accelerator, Nabers is also an elite tackle breaker. He is versatile, checking in roughly 50-50 between the slot and boundary. A man-coverage dominator, Nabers is an adept hand fighter. Almost as dominant deep as he is tacking on extra yards in the short-to-intermediate areas of the field, Nabers has all the makings of the perfect wideout for the YAC/efficiency age even if he needs to clean up his route-running a bit in the big leagues. Only 20 years old on draft night, Nabers is a proven producer — 2,586 yards over the past two years — who still has room to grow. He’ll instantly be the alpha WR1 in New York and could see a ridiculously high target share in 2024. Plenty of intermediate usage could make Nabers an elite fantasy producer even with a bottom-half QB like Daniel Jones throwing passes to the rookie.
-
Rotoworld

does Rome pass him now at 1.02?
as the WR3?
for Yr 1... he should pass Allen very quickly then in time become WR1b with Moore

In a bunch of threads exactly a year ago: “for Yr 1… JSN should pass Lockett very quickly then in time become WR1b with Metcalf.” Interestingly CHI has the exact same OC as SEA did too
interesting... anything is possible. If he doesn't, he doesn't; you shouldn't really give up after yr 1 anyway

Dan Duggan
Malik Nabers definitely has the confidence you want in a No. 1 WR. On his ability to create separation: "It's just second nature. It's just me being an athlete. Me being a dog. Always being that person that a quarterback can rely on giving the ball to, having that confidence in myself and knowing when the ball is in the quarterback's hands, Malik is going to be open."

I hope he falls, and I will take every share of him I can get.

Giants were a disaster last year. Daniel Jones doesn't exactly give you the warm and fuzzies. I get it.

But he's an elite talent. He's explosive. He has little to no quality competition for targets. The Giants are bad, and will be playing from behind a lot. I assume they'll get a new QB in a year or 2.

We have the landing spot conversation every year. I always go back to AJ Brown. I loved AJ Brown out of college. He went to TN. I said to myself, this is horrible. They'll never throw it. His QB isn't all that good. I'm moving him way down my rankings. Oops. Same thing is gonna happen with Nabers if people fade him.

does Rome pass him now at 1.02?

lol no, for the Giants not having a great QB for year one, trade off Odunze having huge competition for targets in year one. That is if you do not believe that Nabers is the level of talent who can be productive regardless of QB quality, like all the truly elite wideouts are

Users who are viewing this thread