What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Malik Nabers, NYG (2 Viewers)

Just read a bunch of articles by this guy and contrary to the above suggestions, I am going to discount his advice completely. He definitely goes negatively against the grain but I haven't found yet an instance where he goes positively against the grain. Like, ok, if you hate Marvin Harrison and Malik Nabers, and Brian Thomas, ok, tell me who you like better than the rest of the experts.
Spencer Rattler is his #1 QB in the class and he considers Joe Milton a first round pick.
I also found that he likes Rome Odunze as well. Personally, Odunze better be really good at catching contested balls because I don't think he will be open in the pros.

Odunze won't get open in the pros? 🤔

Daniel Jeremiah has Nabers ranked SEVENTH overall for rookies this draft. 7th.

Behind Marvin and Odunze, ranked 2 and 3, respectively.

Link

Just read a bunch of articles by this guy and contrary to the above suggestions, I am going to discount his advice completely. He definitely goes negatively against the grain but I haven't found yet an instance where he goes positively against the grain. Like, ok, if you hate Marvin Harrison and Malik Nabers, and Brian Thomas, ok, tell me who you like better than the rest of the experts.
Spencer Rattler is his #1 QB in the class and he considers Joe Milton a first round pick.
I also found that he likes Rome Odunze as well. Personally, Odunze better be really good at catching contested balls because I don't think he will be open in the pros.

I agree where did that come from?

Over statement. I don't think Odunze will find it as easy to get open in the NFL than will Harrison and Nabers. Of the consensus big 3, I think Odunze will struggle especially early in beating man coverages. His catch rate and body positioning will help him but to me, he's well behind Harrison and Nabers.

Daniel Jeremiah has Nabers ranked SEVENTH overall for rookies this draft. 7th.

Behind Marvin and Odunze, ranked 2 and 3, respectively.

Link

Excerpt:

Nabers is a dynamic receiver with outstanding competitiveness and production. He explodes off the line in his release, creating immediate separation. He sets up defenders before snapping off his route. He isn't afraid to work in the middle of the field and has strong hands to finish through contact. When working back to the quarterback, he prefers to let the ball travel into his body, but his drops are limited. He can scoop low throws off his shoes and easily adjusts to balls on his back hip. He does a lot of damage on slot fades, where he uses his speed to win early, and he tracks the ball with ease. After the catch, he explodes through tackles and also has a nasty stiff arm. Overall, Nabers is an electric playmaker who reminds me of DJ Moore with the ball in his hands.

It’s pretty clear at this point that he’s an elite level prospect and in most years would be an easy top of class guy.

MHJ has size that fits the mold of the prototype WR1 that can become a multi year top 2 guy. In top of having loads of other elite traits.

But there’s tons of guys that have been really dominant without fitting that mold.

It’s an interesting debate that- with any luck- takes years to resolve for all the right reasons.

Dying to see how my resources have all these guys.

It’s pretty clear at this point that he’s an elite level prospect and in most years would be an easy top of class guy.

MHJ has size that fits the mold of the prototype WR1 that can become a multi year top 2 guy. In top of having loads of other elite traits.

But there’s tons of guys that have been really dominant without fitting that mold.

It’s an interesting debate that- with any luck- takes years to resolve for all the right reasons.

Feels like this the top of this year's dynasty draft is sort of similar to last year in the sense of Bijan was the anointed king. The 1.01 of a generation. Meanwhile, Gibbs was this super explosive modern player who sure looked elite. Bijan is to MJH as Gibbs is to Nabers.

Feels like this the top of this year's dynasty draft is sort of similar to last year in the sense of Bijan was the anointed king. The 1.01 of a generation. Meanwhile, Gibbs was this super explosive modern player who sure looked elite. Bijan is to MJH as Gibbs is to Nabers.

Does that make Maye this year’s Stroud?

Not two months ago I was taking heat for saying I have him ranked neck and neck with MHJ and may even have him ranked above pending landing spot etc...

Not two months ago I was taking heat for saying I have him ranked neck and neck with MHJ and may even have him ranked above pending landing spot etc...
I have them neck and neck you can’t go wrong with either but I love what Naber has shown.

Tex

I have them neck and neck you can’t go wrong with either but I love what Naber has shown.

Tex
It will be interesting for sure. Nabers absolutely can be elite, I loved / hated watching him play this past season. But I do think he’s more dependent on the fit, QB and Coach, than MHjr. I feel Harrison can go anywhere and be great.
There’s some scuttle about Nabers landing in Tennessee. I would like that a lot but unless there OL is improved there won’t be time to consistently get him the ball.
Put Nabers in Chicago with their 2nd pick or with the chargers and he becomes 1b in this draft.

Does that make Maye this year’s Stroud?
It's super weird that I feel like the two players not getting near enough love right now are Maye and Nabers. Maye could easily be the best QB in this class, and Nabers could easily be the best WR.

I guess there is less risk with MHJ. He's like a robot purpose built to be an NFL WR. Zero obvious flaws.

Nabers just seems electric and like he'll be open all the time, and he'll do stuff when he gets the ball.

I wish I had like 7 first round picks this year.

So, just trying to evaluate things here ... Harrison is largely considered #1, and Nabers almost unanimously top 2 WR, some would say #1 or tied at the top. So, in 2020, Jeudy and Lamb were the monster WR prospects, I think more had Jeudy #1, but it was fairly well split between the two.

How would you all compare someone like Nabers as a prospect, versus Jeudy and Lamb as prospects in 2020? Not Jeudy and Lamb now, obviously, but when they were rookies. My feeling based on hype is, about equal?

My feeling based on hype is, about equal?
I think the current two are considered notably superior as prospects. Harrison is spoken about in some circles as the best prospect since Megatron. Nabers right with him.

Lamb, nor Jeudy were even the first WR taken in their class.
Yep.
MHjr is as close to megatron as a quality prospect, or Fitzgerald (the comp I like better).
Nabers is a different player but not far behind (if at all) in today’s NFL.

I think the current two are considered notably superior as prospects. Harrison is spoken about in some circles as the best prospect since Megatron. Nabers right with him.

Yep.
MHjr is as close to megatron as a quality prospect, or Fitzgerald (the comp I like better).
Nabers is a different player but not far behind (if at all) in today’s NFL.
Okay, good info, thanks guys. I mainly just remembered those two being so highly coveted, wasn't sure how to compare to a different class.

I think the current two are considered notably superior as prospects. Harrison is spoken about in some circles as the best prospect since Megatron. Nabers not far off him and right alongside his LSU peers.

Because the Raiders perennially strive to restore the "vertical passing game" to the NFL and are infatuated with track speed.

My fantasy leagues didn't fall for it... the order as I recall was Lamb, Jeudy, Jefferson.... Ruggs was not near the top.

I think the current two are considered notably superior as prospects. Harrison is spoken about in some circles as the best prospect since Megatron. Nabers not far off him and right alongside his LSU peers.

Because the Raiders perennially strive to restore the "vertical passing game" to the NFL and are infatuated with track speed.

My fantasy leagues didn't fall for it... the order as I recall was Lamb, Jeudy, Jefferson.... Ruggs was not near the top.
FWIW, our top 10 players taken that year were CEH, jeudy, lamb, Ruggs, JJ, Taylor, Pittman, Reagor, Burrow, Higgins. What a great year, just to see CEH go first.

My fantasy leagues didn't fall for it...
No, nor mine. We started with 5 Rb's, then Lamb, Aiyuk, JJ. Think Jeudy and Ruggs were 10 and 11.

Either way, MHJ and Nabers still seem vastly superior prospects. Even if Troy Franklin or Xavier Worthy run in the 4.1X's they won't be going ahead of the aforementioned two.

Mini hijack, but as good as these two can be, it wouldn't even suprise me a little if Odunze was the best of the 3 in the NFL.

I currently have it 1a/1b MHJ/Nabers (landing spot will decide it) and Odunze a literal nut hair behind.

Where does everyone think his NFL draft position will be? I would love for the Colts to get him or Odunze. Otherwise it’s BPA.

Mini hijack, but as good as these two can be, it wouldn't even suprise me a little if Odunze was the best of the 3 in the NFL.

I currently have it 1a/1b MHJ/Nabers (landing spot will decide it) and Odunze a literal nut hair behind.
Seems like a reasonable take to me.
All three have physical ability to be the best one.

Where does everyone think his NFL draft position will be? I would love for the Colts to get him or Odunze. Otherwise it’s BPA.
I really like him at the Giants. Obvious number 1, focal point of offense that needs a revamp, highly drafted so motivation to get him the ball.

I really like him at the Giants. Obvious number 1, focal point of offense that needs a revamp, highly drafted so motivation to get him the ball.

Probably at least 2 go top 9 maybe all 3
I can’t recall that happening recently. Are all the other positions garbage? I might just not remember.
I wonder whether our fantasy opinions sometimes cloud what we think the NFL thinks? Yes, the WRs in this draft are good, but some teams may think they can wait on one. There are more than just 3 and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a team take one before Nabers or Odunze. Adonai Mitchell? Brian Thomas?

Probably at least 2 go top 9 maybe all 3
I can’t recall that happening recently. Are all the other positions garbage? I might just not remember.
I wonder whether our fantasy opinions sometimes cloud what we think the NFL thinks? Yes, the WRs in this draft are good, but some teams may think they can wait on one. There are more than just 3 and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a team take one before Nabers or Odunze. Adonai Mitchell? Brian Thomas?

Taking either before those 2 is a criminal offense, and I really like BT

Been watching Spencer Rattler highlights and Xavier Legette is D.K. Metcalf - ish

Some incredible WRs in this draft.

can’t recall that happening recently. Are all the other positions garbage? I might just not remember.
This is a fantastic year for QB and WR. Also OT. otherwise it seems less than stellar for other positions. It lacks the amount of high end defensive talent we’ve seen recently.

Don't know but if the Chargers don't move back and pick a pass catcher at 5 he makes more sense to me then any player in the draft and I say with respect to MHJ and how critical a TE usually is to a Harbaugh offense. They've been desperate for good players with speed on that offense. I'd argue Herbert had never had that and that's a shame with his arm.

I'll add that I'll be surprised if Nabers is not at least the second WR drafted. Odunze's good but the league just has always put a lot higher value on speed and big play receivers.

Not that it means much, but I'm interested to see the combine results for Nabers v Odunze in the 40.

Odunze reminds me of a Mario Lemieux... Doesn't look super fast, yet no one could ever catch him. I feel like his build/style makes him look slower than he is, yet everyone is/was always behind him

Nabers seems to have crazy acceleration. Takes off at full speed near enough. I bet his 20 split is ridiculous. Might not quite maintain it over distance but short distance, where it matters most at WR, he's super human.

Not that it means much, but I'm interested to see the combine results for Nabers v Odunze in the 40.
I think odunze is faster in the 40.
Nabers excels in quickness / agility.
I searched this and to my surprise UW is saying Odunze ran in the 4.3's. If that's true I missed it, did not show to me watching him, Nabers just seems way more explosive to me.
Yes, from what I remember watching both, Nabers accelerates and is crisp in his routes. Odunze is sort of a metcalf / Evans type. Fast, but not particularly explosive. Give odunze a strong armed QB and good pass blocking and he’ll be great. Nabers is more versatile imo.

Users who are viewing this thread