What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Malik Nabers, NYG (1 Viewer)

Not a lot of places putting them in the top tier and both belong there IMO
I can barely find a mock with Nabers outside the top 6 and don't think I've seen any with Maye outside the top 3, the last one I read he was the 1.01 in fact. But fair enough if you're seeing different stuff to me.

Not a lot of places putting them in the top tier and both belong there IMO
I can barely find a mock with Nabers outside the top 6 and don't think I've seen any with Maye outside the top 3, the last one I read he was the 1.01 in fact. But fair enough if you're seeing different stuff to me.
Maye seems to be a mixed bag.
But the lowest Nabers falls is to 9.
Sorry, but I don't see a world where Nabers falls to 9, no matter the format.

Cody Carpentier
Why ISN'T Malik Nabers WR1 in the 2024 NFL Draft Class?

Before you respond, ask yourself "Can I answer this question with more than just a blanket "Marvin Harrison Jr." ?"

I've had conversations with three people this week that all see a clear path to Nabers being more successful in year 1 with arguably better odds to "hit".

Both were world class receivers in college and this is by no means degrading to Harrison.

Nabers fits an archetype that we have seen over and over again succeed in the NFL, he likely checks every box at the combine with flying colors and his profile is nearly impeccable, outside of some issues in contested situations.

Harrison Jr. has the size to not worry about contested issues, and his foot speed at 6'4 is elite, while his frame is incomplete for the NFL at an estimated 205lbs. His YAC/Rec was T-158th in the Power 5 this season.

This post is not meant to pull down either prospect as I am a huge fan of both, including Rome Odunze and Troy Franklin - however Nabers deserves to be realistically discussed as the WR1 in the class as well.

#NFLDraft #NFLCombine #FantasyFootball

PFF COMBINED CONSENSUS RANKING OF ALL STABLE METRICS SINCE 2022

Rank Wide receiver

1 Malachi Corley, Western Kentucky
2 Tahj Washington, USC
3 Troy Franklin, Oregon
4 Malik Nabers, LSU
5 Jamari Thrash, Lousiville
6 Rome Odunze, Washington
7 Roman Wilson, Michigan
8 Joshua Cephus, UTSA
9 Malik Washington, Virginia
10 Marvin Harrison Jr., Ohio State

Rank Wide receiver

2 Tahj Washington, USC
3 Troy Franklin, Oregon
4 Malik Nabers, LSU
7 Roman Wilson, Michigan
8 Joshua Cephus, UTSA
wut?

Rank Wide receiver

2 Tahj Washington, USC
3 Troy Franklin, Oregon
4 Malik Nabers, LSU
7 Roman Wilson, Michigan
8 Joshua Cephus, UTSA
wut?

PFF COMBINED CONSENSUS RANKING OF ALL STABLE METRICS SINCE 2022 :lol:

Rank Wide receiver

2 Tahj Washington, USC
3 Troy Franklin, Oregon
4 Malik Nabers, LSU
7 Roman Wilson, Michigan
8 Joshua Cephus, UTSA
wut?

Yeah, that is comical to some degree.

Rank Wide receiver

2 Tahj Washington, USC
3 Troy Franklin, Oregon
4 Malik Nabers, LSU
7 Roman Wilson, Michigan
8 Joshua Cephus, UTSA
wut?

does therein lie the fact that PFF grades should be taken with a grain of salt?

honestly... i can say i do look at them. i do take some info from them. but as Ive always said, watching a player is 98% of it.

Rank Wide receiver

2 Tahj Washington, USC
3 Troy Franklin, Oregon
4 Malik Nabers, LSU
7 Roman Wilson, Michigan
8 Joshua Cephus, UTSA
wut?

honestly... i can say i do look at them. i do take some info from them. but as Ive always said, watching a player is 98% of it.
It's always wise to take information from it, no matter what we think of it overall.

Rank Wide receiver

2 Tahj Washington, USC
3 Troy Franklin, Oregon
4 Malik Nabers, LSU
7 Roman Wilson, Michigan
8 Joshua Cephus, UTSA
wut?

The narrative is missing from the original article, it makes complete sense in its proper context.

Tex

I saw a mock draft earlier today that had Nabers going to the Jets, and I cried a little at the potential sadness.

Yeah, Simms is pretty much the worst when it comes to draft prospects. He hit on Josh Allen in 2018, and is living off that, despite having as bad a hit rate as any analyst out there. He's almost like a troll at this point. Just saying whatever might get clicks. I feel extremely comfortable trusting my analysis over Simms.

I do love Nabers though. I would very much argue he and Harrison are the 2 best prospects in a very long time. Probably have to go back to at least the Green/Julio year.

Nabers (and Thomas to a lesser extent) are big reasons why I'm a bit wary of Daniels. He was throwing to wide open guys all year, and if they weren't wide open its because defenses sold out to stop them leaving huge running lanes open.

Yeah, Simms is pretty much the worst when it comes to draft prospects. He hit on Josh Allen in 2018, and is living off that, despite having as bad a hit rate as any analyst out there. He's almost like a troll at this point. Just saying whatever might get clicks. I feel extremely comfortable trusting my analysis over Simms.

I do love Nabers though. I would very much argue he and Harrison are the 2 best prospects in a very long time. Probably have to go back to at least the Green/Julio year.

Nabers (and Thomas to a lesser extent) are big reasons why I'm a bit wary of Daniels. He was throwing to wide open guys all year, and if they weren't wide open its because defenses sold out to stop them leaving huge running lanes open.
I have Nabers above Harrison but not by much. I did like Chase coming out of school a little more than both but agree they are up there with the best in the last decade plus. I also share your concern on Daniels for the same reason and would add his slender build is a concern as well. With the hunger for QBs it will be interesting to see where these guys fall in the draft. Simms is a goof.

Simms also thought Zach Wilson was going to be the best of his class.

Simms also thought Zach Wilson was going to be the best of his class.

Well, he wasn't the only one. He's done better with QBs than his counterparts at NFL.com and ESPN. Zierlein, Kiper and Simms work for networks. They're far more motivated to be right than to generate click bait with compelling content. Chase Daniel, Hasselback, Kurt Warner all have independent gigs evaluating prospects and they could use the attention, but I don't think any of them care. They just dig in and do their best at a fool's errand. Accusing any of them of attention seeking is lazy. Listen to their reasoning and rationale for their evaluations and it's obvious they're all trying to sort this out honestly.

I'm trying hard to separate Nabers and Harrison. I've watched what I can find. I don't like 5 minute highlight vids. I like 25 minute ones though, but mostly I prefer an ex professional player or scout doing long analyses of the good and not so good. Not some attention seeking fantasy dude. Eisen polled six team insiders at the combine. 4 preferred Nabers. An ex-scout on Ross Tucker's show said he called contacts at over half the league's teams and it's an even split. I'm leaning Nabers for the YAC ability, atm. Interested in their pro days. I'm cynical as anyone about content providers scheming for more attention, but not the types mentioned above. Listen to their evaluations and you should realize they're trying. i like Warner the most and he doesn't rank them.

Excerpt:

NFL TRANSITION:

Nabers is one of the best wide receiver prospects in the 2024 draft class. After evaluating his 2022 and 2023 tape, I would rank him as the second-best prospect behind Marvin Harrison Jr. Nabers has extensive experience playing outside and the slot. His location versatility is a significant plus as you project and transition him to the NFL.

Nabers possesses a complete receiver skill set with high-level physical traits and outstanding competitive toughness. There were times he made me think of Deebo Samuel with his run-after-catch presence, aggressiveness and physicality. He worked all three levels of the defense effectively. He has a subtle and nuanced feel for route running with body leans and feints resulting in needed separation and the short-area burst and acceleration to run by and get on top of corners, especially on slot fades.

He has a second gear on vertical routes to create separation with the ball in the air, and he showed the body control and hands to make tough catches on the sideline and in the middle of the field.
One trait that Nabers possesses that is often overlooked is his body control to stop on a dime and present flat and friendly to the quarterback, sending the corner running by him.

Nabers aggressively attacked press coverage, and he defeated it with a desirable combination of short-area quickness, burst and physicality.

Overall, I believe Nabers is a high-level wide receiver prospect who can step in from Day 1 and be a starter and productive contributor, especially with his versatility to line up anywhere in the formation.

3. ODunze

and I'm not 100% convinced on 3.

So, the more I watch the more I'm impressed with Thomas. I'm reading the negatives and disagreeing with them. He's really dynamic after the catch. He led the nation in td receptions playing with Nabers. They weren't a bunch of goal line catches either. Anyway, I put Odunze on one monitor and Thomas on the other and tried to get a better feel for them that way. Great prospects, but the better speed and angry nose for the goal line makes me prefer Thomas. I think they both translate as WR1s. Thomas, like Nabers, is just more explosive.

1. Nabers
2. Harrison
3. Thomas
4. Odunze

According to PFF, Naber's average top speed (real plays) was over 22 mph. It was also higher than Worthy's. This guy is so ridiculously dangerous. Like a bigger Tyreek.

Austin Abbott
𝗠𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗸 𝗡𝗮𝗯𝗲𝗿𝘀 is even 𝗕𝗘𝗧𝗧𝗘𝗥 than you think

𝗬𝗮𝗿𝗱𝘀 𝗣𝗲𝗿 𝗥𝗼𝘂𝘁𝗲 𝗥𝘂𝗻:

➖𝗠𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗸 𝗡𝗮𝗯𝗲𝗿𝘀: 𝟯.𝟲𝟰 (𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟯)
➖𝗝𝗮’𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗿 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝘀𝗲: 𝟯.𝟱𝟮 (𝟮𝟬𝟭𝟵)
➖𝗝𝘂𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗻 𝗝𝗲𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗼𝗻: 𝟮.𝟲𝟰 (𝟮𝟬𝟭𝟵)

𝗗𝗿𝗼𝗽 𝗥𝗮𝘁𝗲:

➖𝗠𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗸 𝗡𝗮𝗯𝗲𝗿𝘀: 𝟱.𝟯% (𝟱)
➖𝗝𝗮’𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗿 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝘀𝗲: 𝟱.𝟲% (𝟱)
➖𝗝𝘂𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗻 𝗝𝗲𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗼𝗻: 𝟱.𝟵% (𝟳)

𝗠𝗶𝘀𝘀𝗲𝗱 𝗧𝗮𝗰𝗸𝗹𝗲𝘀 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝗰𝗲𝗱:

➖𝗠𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗸 𝗡𝗮𝗯𝗲𝗿𝘀: 𝟯𝟬
➖𝗝𝘂𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗻 𝗝𝗲𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗼𝗻: 𝟮𝟰
➖𝗝𝗮’𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗿 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝘀𝗲: 𝟮𝟮

𝗠𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗸 𝗡𝗮𝗯𝗲𝗿𝘀 has the 𝗠𝗢𝗦𝗧 𝗥𝗲𝗰𝗲𝗽𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀 (𝟭𝟴𝟵) and 𝗬𝗮𝗿𝗱𝘀 (𝟯,𝟬𝟬𝟯) in 𝗟𝗦𝗨 𝗛𝗜𝗦𝗧𝗢𝗥𝗬.

𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟯 𝗦𝘁𝗮𝘁𝘀: (𝟭𝟯 𝗚𝗮𝗺𝗲𝘀)

➖𝟴𝟲 𝗥𝗲𝗰𝗲𝗽𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀
➖𝟭,𝟱𝟰𝟲 𝗬𝗮𝗿𝗱𝘀
➖𝟭𝟰 𝗧𝗗’𝘀

For what it’s worth, 𝗠𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗸 𝗡𝗮𝗯𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗼𝘂𝘁𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗺𝗲𝗱 𝗠𝗮𝗿𝘃𝗶𝗻 𝗛𝗮𝗿𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗼𝗻 𝗝𝗿. in the following 𝗰𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗴𝗼𝗿𝗶𝗲𝘀: (𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟯)

➖𝗬𝗔𝗖
➖𝗬𝗮𝗿𝗱𝘀
➖𝗧𝗮𝗿𝗴𝗲𝘁𝘀
➖𝟭𝘀𝘁 𝗱𝗼𝘄𝗻𝘀
➖𝗥𝗲𝗰𝗲𝗽𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀
➖𝗔 𝗛𝗶𝗴𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗣𝗙𝗙 𝗚𝗿𝗮𝗱𝗲
➖𝗬𝗮𝗿𝗱𝘀 𝗣𝗲𝗿 𝗥𝗼𝘂𝘁𝗲 𝗥𝘂𝗻
➖𝟮𝟱+ 𝗬𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝗥𝗲𝗰𝗲𝗽𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀
➖𝗠𝗶𝘀𝘀𝗲𝗱 𝗧𝗮𝗰𝗸𝗹𝗲𝘀 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝗰𝗲𝗱

𝗛𝗲’𝘀 𝗽𝗵𝘆𝘀𝗶𝗰𝗮𝗹, 𝗲𝗹𝘂𝘀𝗶𝘃𝗲, 𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗹𝗲, and has a 𝗚𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗧 𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 of how to 𝗗𝗢𝗠𝗜𝗡𝗔𝗧𝗘 𝘇𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗰𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿𝗮𝗴𝗲.

𝗠𝗮𝗹𝗶𝗸 𝗡𝗮𝗯𝗲𝗿𝘀 is going to be a 𝗹𝗲𝗴𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝘀𝘂𝗽𝗲𝗿𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿 in the 𝗡𝗙𝗟.

Ross Tucker Podcast
“He would be my #2 overall prospect in this draft class…reminds me of Deebo with the ball in his hands…”

@GregCosell loves LSU WR Malik Nabers:

Interesting comp, was watching Daniels tape earlier today and obviously saw some Nabers and, despite having watched Nabers a lot before, it struck me that he DID look like Deebo with the ball in his hands. He’s like this cross between OBJ in his routes and catching style and turns into Deebo or Boldin after he secures it.

I don’t know man. I like him better than Marvin and it’s no knock on Marvin. Im going to need to see landing spots but sheesh. He could be my WR1.

Ross Tucker Podcast
“He would be my #2 overall prospect in this draft class…reminds me of Deebo with the ball in his hands…”

@GregCosell loves LSU WR Malik Nabers:

Interesting comp, was watching Daniels tape earlier today and obviously saw some Nabers and, despite having watched Nabers a lot before, it struck me that he DID look like Deebo with the ball in his hands. He’s like this cross between OBJ in his routes and catching style and turns into Deebo or Boldin after he secures it.

I don’t know man. I like him better than Marvin and it’s no knock on Marvin. Im going to need to see landing spots but sheesh. He could be my WR1.
Landing spot could alter my rankings, but all things being equal I have Nabers number one. No dig on MHJr but have him slightly closer to Odunze than Nabers as a prospect. Great crop this year at that position.

Users who are viewing this thread