What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Rome Odunze, CHI (4 Viewers)

How have you gauged each players relative work ethic? Do you know them personally?

Nope, I don't. I just watch a lot of ball, and listen to a lot of "in the loop" guys talk the game.
Odunze being at the combine and his actions once the combine ended show me the kind of guy he is... As does the words of everyone who has ever played w him or interviewed him.

Again, I'm not saying Marvin or Nabers are bad dudes, but there have been some diva-like statements made about them (and I like some diva in my WRs)... But I just take all that in and use it as part of my calculations when making projections etc

And that info could be wrong for all I know. But NFL team staff gets it wrong too, all the time.

I've not seen anything diva about Marvin Harrison Jnr. He didn't do stuff at the combine or pro day, that's about all we have to level that charge at him and he explained quite clearly that he thinks it isn't useful, and the teams he interviewed with and who will end up drafting him told him they didn't care either.

On the other side of the coin, you have a man who if everything went completely wrong with regards to his football career he'd still live a life of extreme privilege and have basically every opportunity he could want in front of him. An intrinsically unmotivating set of circumstances really. And yet here he is, regarded as one of the greatest prospects at his position ever. That didn't fall in his lap. He didn't wake up this good. He has worked just as hard to become this level of player, and it isn't because he's trying to provide his family with generational wealth or improve his lifestyle. He's inherently motivated to be good because he wants to be good. He also seems like a thoroughly likeable person in the interviews, someone to root for in a time where a privileged upbringing so often results in an arrogant personality.

I don't know so much about Nabers. From the interviews I've seen he doesn't seem like an especially pleasant person, not my cup of tea anyway, but I think we'd all be wrong trying to claim he doesn't have an elite mindset and work ethic when you look at the level of prospect he is. Again, he didn't wake up this good.

It just seems like a vaguely flippant and dubious statement to definitively suggest one has 'better' work rate than the other when they are all clearly so exceptional, and nobody exceptional became thus because they didn't work extremely hard.

The more I see of Odunze, the more I'm going to be pissed off when Chicago inevitably passes on him. :huh:

I feel like they are going to do absolutely EVERYTHING in their power to load him up w weapons... It's their first "frenchise" qb in how long?

If he's there, he's a bear, imo.
The only reason I think that might not be the case is their complete lack of later picks. They could very well trade down to the teens. I just don’t want to see Rome in Jacksonville.

Now the 1.02.

IMO he’s JSN 2.0, he might be all the way down at 5 or 6 for me now. Let someone else overdraft him now and buy low if/when he doesn’t see enough targets. Then hope Chicago doesn’t extend Allen unlike Seattle who extended Lockett. Talented player and great football setup for Caleb and the Bears, nightmare for fantasy. I personally don’t see Rome overtaking Moore as the #1 but stranger things have happened.

Now the 1.02.

IMO he’s JSN 2.0, he might be all the way down at 5 or 6 for me now. Let someone else overdraft him now and buy low if/when he doesn’t see enough targets. Then hope Chicago doesn’t extend Allen unlike Seattle who extended Lockett. Talented player and great football setup for Caleb and the Bears, nightmare for fantasy. I personally don’t see Rome overtaking Moore as the #1 but stranger things have happened.
If you can pull that off, great.
I’m building in the league I can draft him and will most likely just put all the rookies I draft on the taxi squad, including MHJ. 2024 means very little there.
Rome absolutely can overtake Moore as the 1 in a couple years.
I can see the argument for taking Bowers, but letting him fall to 5 or 6 is extremely short sighted.

Caleb has rapport with... No one on that roster.

This is where I expected Rome to end up, and I'm nabbing him at 3, 100% (provided the #2 doesnt snake him after Nabers ended up in purgatory)....

Odunze has every chance of being the #1 based on Caleb. If they click, they click. There's a 66% chance he ends up as the 1 or 2, realistically.

Now the 1.02.

If you can pull that off, great.
I’m building in the league I can draft him and will most likely just put all the rookies I draft on the taxi squad, including MHJ. 2024 means very little there.
Rome absolutely can overtake Moore as the 1 in a couple years.
I can see the argument for taking Bowers, but letting him fall to 5 or 6 is extremely short sighted.

I like the Taxi squad aspect and the patience you’re able to show. I generally find that the vast majority of fantasy players have no patience and move on to the next shiny rookie quickly though. I see a huge danger here that you may have to wait at least two years for a return which is an eternity in fantasy football.

He'll have less pressure here to shine being the probable 3rd option, but his upside to be open consistently is appealing seeing the other 2 he will play alongside will draw more coverage.

I think Bears offense might end up as one of top 10 offense in NFL by 2024 season. Seems like they have potential multiple facet offense that their defensive opponent may not have answer to. Now it's onus on their OC to unleash them effectively.

Users who are viewing this thread