What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colonoscopy preparation today..... (1 Viewer)

Funny that I stumbled across this thread. Mine is scheduled for next Wednesday. My wife will actually be out of town, but I already postponed it twice and we will be traveling a lot over the summer, so I don't want to wait until fall.

Planning on picking up the prep materials tomorrow. Among the available food options (Jell-O, soup, fruit juice, popsicles), which ones have people found do the most to tide you over? Or am I just going to be miserable no matter what?
Chicken broth worked for me. It was just like ramen without the noodles. Ginger ale also.

Have a ride home with wife out of town?
Yep, working on that. At first I was concerned that they would require me to have someone with me at check-in but they confirmed it was only necessary when I go home
That’s how mine was as well, but my wife was there the entire time. But they won’t let you leave unless you have someone with you.

Also, word of warning - you’ll be farting a lot when you leave, so make sure that whoever gives you a ride will be cool with that!

Funny that I stumbled across this thread. Mine is scheduled for next Wednesday. My wife will actually be out of town, but I already postponed it twice and we will be traveling a lot over the summer, so I don't want to wait until fall.

Planning on picking up the prep materials tomorrow. Among the available food options (Jell-O, soup, fruit juice, popsicles), which ones have people found do the most to tide you over? Or am I just going to be miserable no matter what?
Chicken broth worked for me. It was just like ramen without the noodles. Ginger ale also.

Have a ride home with wife out of town?
Yep, working on that. At first I was concerned that they would require me to have someone with me at check-in but they confirmed it was only necessary when I go home
That’s how mine was as well, but my wife was there the entire time. But they won’t let you leave unless you have someone with you.

Also, word of warning - you’ll be farting a lot when you leave, so make sure that whoever gives you a ride will be cool with that!
Depends. My doctor doesn't use air anymore. I think it was CO2.... Little bloating and barely any gas after

Eta: I also didn't eat anything just water

I had bowl of bone broth an hour before I had to stop eating and it seemed to hold me over fine. It wasn't easy to find any non red jello and I was too lazy to make my own.
yeah, I wasn't into having lemon or lime jello so I just went with a bowl of broth for lunch and dinner at that was fine.
I tried both lime jello and chicken broth. Can’t even look at chicken broth now. Next time will either be just jello or power through with water, sprite, and ginger ale.

Anyone else have to go off blood thinners in advance of their procedure? I was surprised that my hematologist’s office said to stop Elliquis five days beforehand. Dr. Google says two, which is more in line with what I’ve done for other minor procedures. But I figure the risk of developing clots in five days is less than the risk of bleeding to death if it’s not all out of my system in time, so I’m sticking with five. I am planning on sleeping with compression socks just to be safe (usually only wear them on airplanes)

Prep was easy actually. 2 dulcolax pills at 4pm and then did the first 7 dose murolax at 6pm and was clear some time after 9. Went to sleep early since I had to get up around 2 for the next 7 dose lax. Probably about 5 or 6 trips to the bathroom in all and I was already awake when I needed to go. Typical sleep for me other than getting up at 430 to get my last cup of water. No issues with the procedure and they got me in 30 minutes early since they had a cancellation.

Wore this shirt to give them a little laugh. https://tinyurl.com/4dbfw74w

Prep was easy actually. 2 dulcolax pills at 4pm and then did the first 7 dose murolax at 6pm and was clear some time after 9. Went to sleep early since I had to get up around 2 for the next 7 dose lax. Probably about 5 or 6 trips to the bathroom in all and I was already awake when I needed to go. Typical sleep for me other than getting up at 430 to get my last cup of water. No issues with the procedure and they got me in 30 minutes early since they had a cancellation.

My prep was similar, but I took the whole 14 dose miralax at once. No getting up in the middle of the night was great.

Tomorrow is my prep day. My instructions are to take my Dulcolax between 3-6 and then the Miralax with Gatorade a couple hours later and then I'm done. Do I understand you correctly that you had to wake up in the middle of the night for an additional dose?

Also, sounds like I should make sure the laxatives have, er, done their duty before I go to bed, lest I wake up to a little present

Tomorrow is my prep day. My instructions are to take my Dulcolax between 3-6 and then the Miralax with Gatorade a couple hours later and then I'm done. Do I understand you correctly that you had to wake up in the middle of the night for an additional dose?

Also, sounds like I should make sure the laxatives have, er, done their duty before I go to bed, lest I wake up to a little present
Yeah, in a nutshell, 4pm for 2 tablets, 6pm for ~24oz gatorade and 7 capfulls of miralax, and then 6 hours before the procedure time another 24oz /7 doses. So if the procedure was at 3pm I could have slept through the night since the second mix would be 9am. But I don't sleep through the night anyway and I would rather get it over with early. I didn't "have" to wake up at 430 but I wanted to so I could drink some water and make sure I got anything out that needed to go. Seemed like the "results" from the second dose was mostly what went in with the second dose. Gatorade in, gatorade out.

How much weight can I expect to lose from this? Want to time it so it happens during beach season. Or next Tuesday. Whatever happens 1st.

How much weight can I expect to lose from this? Want to time it so it happens during beach season. Or next Tuesday. Whatever happens 1st.
Depending on which # I use from yesterday I only lost 2-3 lbs. :shrug:
I was really hoping I'd finally hit that 190lbs goal I've had for the past 5 years :kicksrock:
Just sign up to get a colonoscopy every day for a week and you'll be golden
Let me check if my insurance covers that. At $4500 per, I don't need to lose weight that badly. This is more of a vanity goal.

Depending on which # I use from yesterday I only lost 2-3 lbs. :shrug:
I was really hoping I'd finally hit that 190lbs goal I've had for the past 5 years :kicksrock:
I was trying to get below 200 before the procedure. MADE IT!
That was my goal but only hit 203. I hit a high of 224 a couple if years ago and have been slowly losing. I hope to get to 199 by my 60th in a couple if months although I actually like where I'm at @205.

I would take the dulcolax right at 3. Mine started working after an hour. Then start the Miralax around 5. I did 2pm and 5pm and had the miralax done by 7pm. I was done in the restroom by 11pm. I drank the miralax to fast and ended up really full and nauseous, but being done by 11pm was great.

I would take the dulcolax right at 3. Mine started working after an hour. Then start the Miralax around 5. I did 2pm and 5pm and had the miralax done by 7pm. I was done in the restroom by 11pm. I drank the miralax to fast and ended up really full and nauseous, but being done by 11pm was great.
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Get ‘er done ASAP so I can be sure the pipes are clean by the time I go to bed

Probably why they have you cut the 14 doses into 2 sets of 7. I drank the 24oz/7dose at 6pm and was done with it in about 10 minutes and no issues. 2nd set at 0200 was about the same. Got it done, back to sleep and up at 0430 for my last "allowed" bit of water and pipe clearing, then back to sleep again.

I dropped 9, but did the liquid diet prep for 2 days on Saturday and Sunday. SUPREP.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for helping make this 1st one easier. One benign polyp, 5 years.

Probably why they have you cut the 14 doses into 2 sets of 7. I drank the 24oz/7dose at 6pm and was done with it in about 10 minutes and no issues. 2nd set at 0200 was about the same. Got it done, back to sleep and up at 0430 for my last "allowed" bit of water and pipe clearing, then back to sleep again.
I just drank it to fast. There was no time limit on when I had to be done. In ten years I will take an extra hour or two to drink it.

I just drank it to fast. There was no time limit on when I had to be done. In ten years I will take an extra hour or two to drink it.
Yeah, no time limit really in my instructions for the 1st set, but there is on the 2nd set but it's 2 hours so that's plenty of time. I just got it down as quickly as possible to get it doing it's magic.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for helping make this 1st one easier. One benign polyp, 5 years.
Seriously, you guys have been great. Meanwhile, I was talking to my brother yesterday and I guess I triggered him, because he starts telling me how awful the whole prep process was for him, and how miserable he felt all day, and I was like, "Dude!"

I'm sure the prep is easier (or harder) for some than others but I do intermittent fasting so going w/o isn't hard at all. The "low residue" diet the day before "prep" was a little harder since I couldn't eat what I want. I went into the pantry and grabbed a Kind bar and took a bite then realized I couldn't eat it so I spit it into the trash. :cautious:

Any weight I dropped on Sunday I probably put back yesterday. After the procedure I got a sausage and egg biscuit, then ate some sourdough bread my daughter sent me, then ate some sausageballs I brought home from the Mother's Day Brunch I couldn't take part of Sunday, and then some chips and salsa (and queso) I also couldn't have Sunday. :porked: Back to the weight loss regimen today though.

Delicious lunch of two bowls of bouillon broth and two large glasses of lemonade. Pretty sure I had never had those two together before; they both looked suspiciously similar

Delicious lunch of two bowls of bouillon broth and two large glasses of lemonade. Pretty sure I had never had those two together before; they both looked suspiciously similar
Funny enough, your poop will look like that soon too.

Nurse: what did your last poop look like?
Me: Gatorade.

Drinking my Gatorade with Miralax, I'm reminded of the story about how the reason Gatorade was originally sold in lemon-lime flavor was because the first concoction the UF scientists gave to the football team tasted like a## and lemon-lime was the flavor that best masked that

Man, 64oz really is a ####ton of Gatorade ...
No doubt. No way I would want to do 60+ oz of that and 14 doses of lax in one sitting. Seems a bit crazy to me, I'd rather divide in 2 like my instructions said.
Well, define "sitting".

I mixed the Miralax in at around 5:30 and then was drinking steadily until I finished, which was nearly two hours later.

I'm also reminded of the time in college that a buddy pointed out that beer is the only liquid we would ever drink at that volume. Like, no one polishes off a six pack of Coke in one evening. Hell, we don't even drink that much water

Man, 64oz really is a ####ton of Gatorade ...
No doubt. No way I would want to do 60+ oz of that and 14 doses of lax in one sitting. Seems a bit crazy to me, I'd rather divide in 2 like my instructions said.
Well, define "sitting".

I mixed the Miralax in at around 5:30 and then was drinking steadily until I finished, which was nearly two hours later.

I'm also reminded of the time in college that a buddy pointed out that beer is the only liquid we would ever drink at that volume. Like, no one polishes off a six pack of Coke in one evening. Hell, we don't even drink that much water
I did about 24oz of Gatorade with the 7 doses of miralax and polished that off with 20 minutes both times.

As far as drinking lots of Coke, guess you never had a super big gulp (or the even bigger double gulp). 😀

We did it boys. Not a polyp to be found. Maybe eating all that damn rabbit food has started to pay dividends. I already scheduled my next visit for 2034. Everyone there was super nice. Got some nice restaurant recs from the filipino nurse.

Funny enough, your poop will look like that soon too.

Nurse: what did your last poop look like?
Me: Gatorade.
Nurse at the hospital told me the reason you're not allowed to have any red or purple liquids is because it will show up in your poop and look like blood. I wasn't totally clear on whether she meant that might potentially mask any problems if there actually was blood, or just because it would freak people out.

ETA: According to Dr. Google it's the former: "You should avoid red Gatorade before a colonoscopy because the artificial colors can stain the inside of your colon and make it harder for doctors to see abnormalities. These stains can look like blood or other abnormalities during the colonoscopy, which can interfere with the test and lead to inaccurate results."

Users who are viewing this thread