What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colston targetting week 8 return (1 Viewer)

gbill2004

Footballguy
Larry Holder, of the Biloxi Sun-Herald, reports New Orleans Saints WR Marques Colston (thumb) missed the team's practice Wednesday, Oct. 1, and he will be in a cast for one more week. He is targeting the team's Week 8 game for his return.

Finally, some useful information!

Q: What are the "realistic" return weeks for Colston, Shockey and Hollis Thomas? Don Gunther.

A: Lots of fans are interested in this one. Payton said last week he thinks Shockey will be back in a couple of weeks, maybe as early as the Oct. 12 game against Oakland. Payton said Shockey already feels relief from the sports hernia injury that has nagged him the past two months. Colston said Wednesday that he hopes to return for the Chargers' game on Oct. 26 in London. He said he plans to have his cast removed next week. He said doctors used two anchors to re-attach a torn ligament to his bone. His return will depend on his strength and range of motion in the joint after the cast is removed. No word on Hollis Thomas. He's a free agent right now and is no longer affiliated with the Saints so there's really no way to determine his progess. However, the injury to Sedrick Ellis could bring Thomas back into play. If Thomas is healthy he would be a front-runner to join the roster, because of his familiarity with the scheme. Payton said Friday that's "a few weeks out" from that being a possibility. And even then, he didn't commit to bringing Thomas back. Sounds to me like the Saints might be moving in a different direction.
http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/10/fr...aints_insi.html :goodposting:

Last edited by a moderator:
As with most players returning from injury, he'll be rusty..Colston *might* come back in week 8 but won't look like the Pro Bowl WR that he is, until week 12-13..or in other words, he's useless for fantasy teams the remainder of the fantasy football season, but will probably have decent value in the fantasy post season,weeks 14-16...

As with most players returning from injury, he'll be rusty..Colston *might* come back in week 8 but won't look like the Pro Bowl WR that he is, until week 12-13..or in other words, he's useless for fantasy teams the remainder of the fantasy football season, but will probably have decent value in the fantasy post season,weeks 14-16...
I'd expect him to knock the rust off a little sooner than that. This wasn't a knee or ankle injury. That being said, week 8 sounds more optimistic than realistic, especially with a week 9 bye.

I'm expecting to put him back in my starting lineup after their bye week and for him to lead me into the playoffs, hopefully to the championship game where he plays Det :rolleyes:

Larry Holder, of the Biloxi Sun-Herald, reports New Orleans Saints WR Marques Colston (thumb) missed the team's practice Wednesday, Oct. 1, and he will be in a cast for one more week. He is targeting the team's Week 8 game for his return.
Thats terrible news. 2 days ago someone reported he was targetting week 6.

:confused:

Obviously this guy did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! Seriously, useless the rest of the year? 4-5 weeks until he returns to form? :thumbup:

I'm just waiting to find out how he's going to catch footballs w/a surgically repaired thumb that's been in a cast for a month.

:thumbup:

I'm just waiting to find out how he's going to catch footballs w/a surgically repaired thumb that's been in a cast for a month.
:rolleyes: This is the issue right here.Anyone that's been in a cast knows that joints get calcified, muscles atrophy, etc. Strength and range of motion don't return instantly. Things should improve in a week or two, but anyone that thinks Colston's going to be playing in a game the same week that cast comes off is not being realistic.

:rolleyes:
I'm afraid he's right. Can you tell me why he's not?

:rolleyes: This is the issue right here.

Anyone that's been in a cast knows that joints get calcified, muscles atrophy, etc. Strength and range of motion don't return instantly.

Things should improve in a week or two, but anyone that thinks Colston's going to be playing in a game the same week that cast comes off is not being realistic.
I agree. But isn't the cast coming off next week? That means he'll be 2-3 weeks post-cast by the time he gets on the field. Plenty of time. Again, this is the same injury he had in college, and he was able to catch footballs then. I'm not at all worried about how he'll perform on the field. What I'm worried about, is now long it will take him to get back on to the field to perform ...

sounds like your trying to trade for Colston :lmao:

sounds like your trying to trade for Colston :rolleyes:
:lmao:

:lmao: This is the issue right here.

Anyone that's been in a cast knows that joints get calcified, muscles atrophy, etc. Strength and range of motion don't return instantly.

Things should improve in a week or two, but anyone that thinks Colston's going to be playing in a game the same week that cast comes off is not being realistic.
I agree. But isn't the cast coming off next week? That means he'll be 2-3 weeks post-cast by the time he gets on the field. Plenty of time. Again, this is the same injury he had in college, and he was able to catch footballs then. I'm not at all worried about how he'll perform on the field. What I'm worried about, is now long it will take him to get back on to the field to perform ...
:rolleyes: I'm tempering my expectations and expecting him to come back fully healthy after the bye, with some sick matchups:

Nov. 9 @ ATL

Nov 16 @ KAN

Nov 24 GNB

If he's able to make it back Week 8, great. But I'm not counting on him.

Edit to add: A couple of shrewd owners made separate low-ball offers for Colston this week, so they must be sensing he'll be back at full strength.

This is the issue right here.Anyone that's been in a cast knows that joints get calcified, muscles atrophy, etc. Strength and range of motion don't return instantly. Things should improve in a week or two, but anyone that thinks Colston's going to be playing in a game the same week that cast comes off is not being realistic.
I had ligament surgery on my right thumb (I'm righty) a couple years ago. You're exactly right about the range of motion and strength. It was a good month before I could swing a golf club without a lot of pain. I can't imagine having a football whipped at me and taking hits on it a week or two afterwards. I realize all people and procedures are different, but I'd proceed with caution.

Cuz its a ####in hand

Cuz its a ####in hand
useful post, thanks

This is the issue right here.Anyone that's been in a cast knows that joints get calcified, muscles atrophy, etc. Strength and range of motion don't return instantly. Things should improve in a week or two, but anyone that thinks Colston's going to be playing in a game the same week that cast comes off is not being realistic.
I had ligament surgery on my right thumb (I'm righty) a couple years ago. You're exactly right about the range of motion and strength. It was a good month before I could swing a golf club without a lot of pain. I can't imagine having a football whipped at me and taking hits on it a week or two afterwards. I realize all people and procedures are different, but I'd proceed with caution.
In 2006 David Givens had the same surgery as Colston and returned five weeks later. Last year Anthony Gonzalez dislocated his thumb with a possible torn ligament and came back three weeks later (and played well). I'm sure their thumbs hurt like a mother, as will Colston's, but they only have sixteen chances to play. Pain is a constant regardless.

Thats terrible news. 2 days ago someone reported he was targetting week 6.
From a BEAT WRITERSeriously, you guys need to check the source of information before you believe it

In 2006 David Givens had the same surgery as Colston and returned five weeks later. Last year Anthony Gonzalez dislocated his thumb with a possible torn ligament and came back three weeks later (and played well). I'm sure their thumbs hurt like a mother, as will Colston's, but they only have sixteen chances to play. Pain is a constant regardless.
It's called corticosteriods... wipes out any pain. He will be fine. Range of motion and strength will be decreased, but week 10 he will look like a #1 WR for your fantasy team. Week 8 he may be rusty, but he is still worth a start

Yea guys come on be realistic. He has the best doctors and the best medicine around. Not to mention the shady of all shady trainers that will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get their best WR back on the field. If you traded for him im assuming you traded for the last quarter of the season's production anyways. I traded Andre for Colston and Ray Rice in my dynasty league and i couldnt be happier. Just pulled off 85 for Colston in a re-draft yesterday. I'd keep trying to make a move for him now. I bet his price just got cheaper too.

:angry:
Cuz its a ####in hand
useful post, thanks
You do realize hes been able to run around and stay in shape all throughout this injury. His thumb will be a little sore but it will be completely healed once the cast comes off (otherwise they wouldnt remove). So if his cast comes off next week, he'll have about 1-2 weeks to improve his flexibility in his hand and get some soreness out. Plus football players take these things called painkillers. So in other words, he'll be 100% at most 2 weeks after the cast comes which is week 8. Like I said speculating on week 12-13 is comepletely and utterly laughable.

:rant:
Cuz its a ####in hand
useful post, thanks
You do realize hes been able to run around and stay in shape all throughout this injury. His thumb will be a little sore but it will be completely healed once the cast comes off (otherwise they wouldnt remove). So if his cast comes off next week, he'll have about 1-2 weeks to improve his flexibility in his hand and get some soreness out. Plus football players take these things called painkillers. So in other words, he'll be 100% at most 2 weeks after the cast comes which is week 8. Like I said speculating on week 12-13 is comepletely and utterly laughable.
:angry:I hate stupid people

Cuz its a ####in hand
useful post, thanks
:goodposting:

:thumbup:
Cuz its a ####in hand
useful post, thanks
The original statement was that he won't play like a pro bowl Wide Receiver til week 12-13 not that he wouldn't play until week 12-13.Pain is secondary and pain killers may not be given to Colston for this during the game. His touch or the dexterity of his thumb and the ability to close onto a ball and catch it is the main issue. A common issue after thumb surgery is the nerves and the thumb having a numb feeling. Initially, while Colston can watch the ball go into his hands and his mind knows the pattern of a ball in flight hitting his hands, he could lack that touch at the last second with a numb thumb. It's not uncommon for a Wide Receiver to have balls bounce off his hand after thumb surgery til he gets it all squared away. Numbing the pain but not numbing his touch seems difficult. I'm not sure how the Saints docs will deal with that, but they're surely well trained to handle that issue.

:yawn:
Cuz its a ####in hand
useful post, thanks
The original statement was that he won't play like a pro bowl Wide Receiver til week 12-13 not that he wouldn't play until week 12-13.Pain is secondary and pain killers may not be given to Colston for this during the game. His touch or the dexterity of his thumb and the ability to close onto a ball and catch it is the main issue. A common issue after thumb surgery is the nerves and the thumb having a numb feeling. Initially, while Colston can watch the ball go into his hands and his mind knows the pattern of a ball in flight hitting his hands, he could lack that touch at the last second with a numb thumb. It's not uncommon for a Wide Receiver to have balls bounce off his hand after thumb surgery til he gets it all squared away. Numbing the pain but not numbing his touch seems difficult. I'm not sure how the Saints docs will deal with that, but they're surely well trained to handle that issue.
You do not know what ligament he tore in his thumb. He may have had surgery near the MCP of the thumb (metacarpal pharyngeal joint), which would make the incision for the surgery closer to the palm of the hand. This would not affect any sensation on the most distal aspect of the thumb (tip of the thumb); the only loss of sensation would be near the incision.Not to mention, any incision made would be on the dorsal side of the hand, therefore limiting the effects of numbness on the palmer side of the thumb, preserving sensation of touch.He may have some impaired sensation, but he won't feel like he has no thumbRegardless of his condition, he will have SOME sensation in his thumb. It's not like his thumb is completely numb. There is deep sensation and surface sensation. His surface sensation may be impaired, but his deep sensation will not be. So unless Colston's job relies on fine touch sensation (such as feeling a feather drape across the skin), his performance should not suffer much. When the ball impacts his hand, PAIN will NOT be secondary, it will be primary. He will be able to feel the ball with his deeper receptors.You can't assume he will have sensation issues since you do not know exactly where the incision was and how big it was. Just because he got cut into does not mean his entire C6 dermatome will be lost distal to the incision

Cuz its a ####in hand
useful post, thanks
You do not know what ligament he tore in his thumb. He may have had surgery near the MCP of the thumb (metacarpal pharyngeal joint), which would make the incision for the surgery closer to the palm of the hand. This would not affect any sensation on the most distal aspect of the thumb (tip of the thumb); the only loss of sensation would be near the incision.Not to mention, any incision made would be on the dorsal side of the hand, therefore limiting the effects of numbness on the palmer side of the thumb, preserving sensation of touch.He may have some impaired sensation, but he won't feel like he has no thumbRegardless of his condition, he will have SOME sensation in his thumb. It's not like his thumb is completely numb. There is deep sensation and surface sensation. His surface sensation may be impaired, but his deep sensation will not be. So unless Colston's job relies on fine touch sensation (such as feeling a feather drape across the skin), his performance should not suffer much. When the ball impacts his hand, PAIN will NOT be secondary, it will be primary. He will be able to feel the ball with his deeper receptors.You can't assume he will have sensation issues since you do not know exactly where the incision was and how big it was. Just because he got cut into does not mean his entire C6 dermatome will be lost distal to the incision

Cuz its a ####in hand
useful post, thanks
good postWouldn't the body's reaction to pain in the hand or more specifically the thumb, be to not grip the object causing the pain? While gripping a football isn't gripping a hot piece of coal, how does pain play in here then?Much of your post is about what we don't necessarily know, yet we often(if not always) guess upon the extent of injuries knowing little details. Along those guessing lines, what is safe to assume here with nerves and pain and catching a football?

:hangover:
Cuz its a ####in hand
useful post, thanks
good postWouldn't the body's reaction to pain in the hand or more specifically the thumb, be to not grip the object causing the pain? While gripping a football isn't gripping a hot piece of coal, how does pain play in here then?Much of your post is about what we don't necessarily know, yet we often(if not always) guess upon the extent of injuries knowing little details. Along those guessing lines, what is safe to assume here with nerves and pain and catching a football?
That's all we do in this forum- speculate. It's very possible he may have a loss of sensation... chances of it being so significant that he's just plain awful is low. But who knows. I would think their doctors took that into consideration while planning the surgery.As far as pain goes- they'll most likely shoot it up with lots of pain killers (direct injection) to avoid any affects of pain in his catching. His grip strength would be lower if he is in pain, as the body tries to protect itself. However, week 8 is a long ways away... more healing will occurThe main issue, which few people have addressed, but it has been brought up, is the range of motion. He will have some limits in ROM, especially after having his hand casted for 4 weeks. Chances are he will not be able to fully oppose, flex, extend his thumb. However, he is getting the cast removed next week, which then his therapists will work on the ROM and get him back to normal. By week 8 he should have close to full range of motion of his thumb, minimal pain.From what I've studied, this injury shouldn't hamper him past the bye week. He may have some residual pain, and he may have some referred numbness, but he shouldn't be hampered to the point where he won't be able to catch a football.As a Packer fan- if Antonio Freeman can have his career best year playing with a cast on his hand (which the cast would provide absolutely zero somatosensory feedback... aka touch), Colston can catch a ball with a little pain and a little numbness in his thumb
Hey isnt Brandon Marshall's right forearm tendon still numb?
I didn't ask him in my last conversation. I will make sure to next time.Two completely different injuries, two completely different surgical procedures, two completely different prognoses

:IBTL:
Cuz its a ####in hand
useful post, thanks
Dude. Epitome of why I joined FBG.

Sorry that I am intelligent and am trying to share that intelligence with others curious about Colston's condition. You can listen to a beat writer speculate about a player but you can't listen to someone who has a doctorate degree in physical therapy? Seems backwards to meYou don't like it, then don't read it. Sorry if it's over your head... I'll try to dumb it down next time for you

Sorry that I am intelligent and am trying to share that intelligence with others curious about Colston's condition. You can listen to a beat writer speculate about a player but you can't listen to someone who has a doctorate degree in physical therapy? Seems backwards to meYou don't like it, then don't read it. Sorry if it's over your head... I'll try to dumb it down next time for you
Huh? I said your post was the reason I love FBGs, because of it's quality. I wasn't being sarcastic at all.ETA: I assumed you were very smart, which made me respect it that much more. I love football but know little about the physical workings of the body. If we were talking politics, however, that would be a different story, lol.

You took that as an insult?

Huh? I said your post was the reason I love FBGs, because of it's quality. I wasn't being sarcastic at all.
My apologies. Took it as coated heavily in sarcasm. Reason #1 why I dislike the internet

I took his post as a compliment to you. Maybe it's just me. :kicksrock:

I took his post as a compliment to you. Maybe it's just me. :kicksrock:
With Bri arguing with me about his condition, I sensed negativity automatically. Like I said, my mistake. I suppose I shouldn't always assume the negative. Half the people in this forum would roll their eyes at a post that has a heavy dose of jargon in it.

I see somebody stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night... :kicksrock:

That's all we do in this forum- speculate. It's very possible he may have a loss of sensation... chances of it being so significant that he's just plain awful is low. But who knows. I would think their doctors took that into consideration while planning the surgery.As far as pain goes- they'll most likely shoot it up with lots of pain killers (direct injection) to avoid any affects of pain in his catching. His grip strength would be lower if he is in pain, as the body tries to protect itself. However, week 8 is a long ways away... more healing will occurThe main issue, which few people have addressed, but it has been brought up, is the range of motion. He will have some limits in ROM, especially after having his hand casted for 4 weeks. Chances are he will not be able to fully oppose, flex, extend his thumb. However, he is getting the cast removed next week, which then his therapists will work on the ROM and get him back to normal. By week 8 he should have close to full range of motion of his thumb, minimal pain.From what I've studied, this injury shouldn't hamper him past the bye week. He may have some residual pain, and he may have some referred numbness, but he shouldn't be hampered to the point where he won't be able to catch a football.As a Packer fan- if Antonio Freeman can have his career best year playing with a cast on his hand (which the cast would provide absolutely zero somatosensory feedback... aka touch), Colston can catch a ball with a little pain and a little numbness in his thumb

Going back to Colston-

I think if you can get him for cheap now would be the time. If you wait any longer his owner won't deal just because he held onto him that long, why give him up now?

Chances are the Colston owner in your league is struggling- I know I am (1-3, finally with Lance Moore now... should be 2-2 but I botched a TE start week 2).

Now's the time to go for Colston if you can. He'll pay off big time weeks 10-16

You have no possible way of knowing what stage of recovery Colston will be in when his cast comes off. I happen to think your week 8 forecast is a reasonable guess, but let's not pretend we know more about the situation than we do. It's all speculation.

You have no possible way of knowing what stage of recovery Colston will be in when his cast comes off. I happen to think your week 8 forecast is a reasonable guess, but let's not pretend we know more about the situation than we do. It's all speculation.
Yes I do. They wont take the cast off unless its completely healed. Now if you wanna argue that they may not take the cast off next week then I agree. We wont know until it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread