What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colts Interested in Cowboys CB Mike Jenkins (1 Viewer)

sspunisher

Footballguy
So I already brought this up in the Cowboys offseason thread but I thought I'd expose this to the rest of the shark pool, there's no big football news so I want to get some speculation going.

Here's the source for starters: Colts interested in Mike Jenkins

One sentence in that article caught my attention, something along the lines of "The Colts made an offer that many teams would think is compelling." Rebuilding teams value Draft picks very highly so they definitely aren't offering draft picks. What do you guys think that "compelling" offer could be?

When I looked at the Colts roster, the only thing that fits that bill as compelling would be Dwight Freeney. Obviously Freeney is the superior talent compared to Jenkins, but if you think about it, the trade makes sense for both teams. First of all, Jenkins does has some injury and production red flags, but that's not the issue here as the Colts have already expressed interest. So here's some random thoughts:

Both players will be free agents in 2013, so both teams have incentive to get something in return more significant than compensatory picks.

Jenkins is 27 and still has some youthful years left, fits well with a rebuilding Colts team.

Freeney is 32 and doesn't have as many years left, fits just as well with a Cowboys team that's "in the hunt."

Both teams play the 3-4 so the "fit" argument can be used equally on both sides.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Freeney is set to make 14 million. No way. I can't believe the Colts are keeping him and asking him to learn a new position at that salary. Maybe he gets cut after June 1st.

Cowboys will only take a 2nd rounder or better. No player of interest is realistic coming back to Dallas.

No way do the Cowboys - or any team - take Freeney's contract.
I agree he'd have to restructure and 99% of players wouldn't give money back, should have mentioned the contract in the OP. Still trying to figure out what else the Colts could offer other than draft picks, no other players strike me as intriguing.

Cowboys will only take a 2nd rounder or better. No player of interest is realistic coming back to Dallas.
It was said he may be on the market for a 4th or 5th during the draft. That's now jumped up to a 2nd?
The Cowboys will likley get a higher compensatory pick if they hold onto Jenkins than a mere 4th or 5th pick. Jenkins is the best CB on the Cowboys injuries non-withstanding.

It was said he may be on the market for a 4th or 5th during the draft. That's now jumped up to a 2nd?
The Cowboys will likley get a higher compensatory pick if they hold onto Jenkins than a mere 4th or 5th pick. Jenkins is the best CB on the Cowboys injuries non-withstanding.
THIS.We will get a year at a low contract + a comp pick when he signs elsewhere. Why would we trade him for a 5th?

Its unlikely you'll ever receive a comp pick higher than a 4th for him, between the contract he signs with another team (which likely won't be huge) and the FA's you'll undoubtedly sign next off-season.

Its unlikely you'll ever receive a comp pick higher than a 4th for him, between the contract he signs with another team (which likely won't be huge) and the FA's you'll undoubtedly sign next off-season.
If he gets to the open market, there's a very high probability that he'll be the best cornerback available. Even if he is the #2 or #3 CB in free agency, he'll be considered a valuable "consolation prize." He doesn't deserve 7-10 Mil per year, but the bidding can go in that direction IMO.I can see him making Johnathan Joseph type of money.

Users who are viewing this thread