What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Common Core Education Standards (1 Viewer)

:lmao:

Summary: Common Core Standards are bad because they ask multiple choice questions involving addition and subtraction to first graders. Adding and subtracting is too hard for first graders!!!
The questions aren't all multiple choice nor are they straightforward addition and subtraction. Some the questions ask them to demonstrate a subtraction problem using an an addition equation. The first question is bizarre as it seems to ask them to subtract pennies from a coffee mug that has a numerical value. I am not an expert on 1st graders and don't really know if the questions are appropriate, but it is definitely a departure from the traditional means of testing kids ability to understand adding and subtracting.

Summary: Common Core Standards are bad because they ask multiple choice questions involving addition and subtraction to first graders. Adding and subtracting is too hard for first graders!!!
The questions aren't all multiple choice nor are they straightforward addition and subtraction. Some the questions ask them to demonstrate a subtraction problem using an an addition equation. The first question is bizarre as it seems to ask them to subtract pennies from a coffee mug that has a numerical value. I am not an expert on 1st graders and don't really know if the questions are appropriate, but it is definitely a departure from the traditional means of testing kids ability to understand adding and subtracting.
I have a first grader. This test is horrid. It's not remotely appropriate for students one month into first grade. Not to mention, many first graders, possibly most, would have difficulty even reading the questions.

Hell, I was a math major in college, and I can't figure out what question 1 is asking, and I'm pretty sure that none of the multiple choice answers for question 12 are correct.

Apparently, common core is even worse than I expected, and my expectations were comically low already.

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't the standards that are the problem, it is the kids and their families. I was just looking at my attendance records. More than half of my 6th hour algebra class is averaging at least 1 absence a week.

Parents in my suburbia town are going bananas over this. My kid is 2, so I'm mostly ignoring it.

I have a first grader. This test is horrid. It's not remotely appropriate for students one month into first grade. Not to mention, many first graders, possibly most, would have difficulty even reading the questions.

Hell, I was a math major in college, and I can't figure out what question 1 is asking, and I'm pretty sure that none of the multiple choice answers for question 12 are correct.

Apparently, common core is even worse than I expected, and my expectations were comically low already.
:goodposting:

Strange questions

The wording of those questions seem to be a little above a 5-6 year olds comprehension level. Maybe that is just me though. Smaller, shorter words tend to go a long way versus the more difficult, "key words" that are going around the education field right now. Seems like a dumb thing to do when writing a test is to speak above the intended readers vocabulary level.

I hate communism! ####### commies. I thought we beat you bastards already. :rant:

I'm not a fan of some of the things included in common core, but just to be clear we need to acknowledge that Common Core is not a test. Its a set of standards.
Yes. We must also acknowledge that there are two very large consortiums that include most states in the nation and those consortiums will provide testing on the common core. The test I linked to is an example of a practice assessment designed to meet 1st grade math standard and it is likely to he similar to the 1st grade math assessments that will be given across much of the country. As much as common core are standards, a key element of the entire movement is the idea of standardized assessments on the computer.

The implementation of this is an unmitigated disaster where I live. Baltimore County has traditionally been an outstanding school district, though a little standardized test-centric for my liking, as is pretty much the entire state of Maryland. Now my fifth-grader's teachers have no idea what they're supposed to be teaching, or when, or how. Is it their fault? No, because the Superintendent admits he doesn't know either, as outlined in this Baltimore Sun article concerning complaints from teachers about the new curriculum:

Baltimore County Superintendent Dallas Dance acknowledged problems but expressed confidence the glitches would be worked out, and that teachers and students would adjust.

“We are building the plane as we fly it,” he said, adding, “but let’s be clear our passengers are safe.”
Building the plane as we are flying it? We were already pretty sure about heading to private school next year for middle school, and now we are running there. To me, this is not about the Common Core itself, it's about schools making up a new curriculum on the fly and not expecting that to negatively affect student learning.

I'm not a fan of some of the things included in common core, but just to be clear we need to acknowledge that Common Core is not a test. Its a set of standards.
Yes. We must also acknowledge that there are two very large consortiums that include most states in the nation and those consortiums will provide testing on the common core. The test I linked to is an example of a practice assessment designed to meet 1st grade math standard and it is likely to he similar to the 1st grade math assessments that will be given across much of the country. As much as common core are standards, a key element of the entire movement is the idea of standardized assessments on the computer.
The problem you're pointing out isn't common core. Its the group that made that test. The group that agreed upon the standards didn't write that test. Like I said, I have problems with some of the standards, but I'm not going to point to Common Core and gripe about those test questions.

I have a specific complaint. A lot of the things that are being taught to my daughter are things that you just kind of pick up as you become more comfortable with numbers. Stuff like mental math.

The mental math is stupid to try and teach to a 3rd grader. They don't have the conceptual understanding of numbers that they need to truly do mental math. There is a reason why Algebra is taught in 7th grade and not in 3rd.

Anyway, that's my complaint. The traditional methods of doing math are often easier to explain to young children because they involve specific steps that can be taught. What's actually going on behind the scenes is just something you kind of pick up.

I have a specific complaint. A lot of the things that are being taught to my daughter are things that you just kind of pick up as you become more comfortable with numbers. Stuff like mental math.

The mental math is stupid to try and teach to a 3rd grader. They don't have the conceptual understanding of numbers that they need to truly do mental math. There is a reason why Algebra is taught in 7th grade and not in 3rd.

Anyway, that's my complaint. The traditional methods of doing math are often easier to explain to young children because they involve specific steps that can be taught. What's actually going on behind the scenes is just something you kind of pick up.
I sorta disagree with this but I don't know what the education research says is best.

I sorta disagree with this but I don't know what the education research says is best.
Research? Let me know when students are being randomly selected and randomly assigned treatments in a double blind scenario. Until then the concept of "research" really doesn't apply when it comes to education.

Research? Let me know when students are being randomly selected and randomly assigned treatments in a double blind scenario. Until then the concept of "research" really doesn't apply when it comes to education.
Yeah, my cynical side says "education research", and the constant changing of curriculum, methods, and standards, is more or less a ploy to keep administrators "necessary".

Can most first graders even read?

Can most first graders even read?
Hell, half the people on this board have trouble reading, sometimes.

Research takes a lot of different forms. Just because education doesn't happen in a laboratory setting doesn't mean that it's useless.

Research takes a lot of different forms. Just because education doesn't happen in a laboratory setting doesn't mean that it's useless.
The problem is in how the results of "research" get used.

If you want make inferences with regard to a population you must use random selection of your subjects. This could happen, but it doesn't.

If you want to cause and effect statements with your research you have to have random assignment of your "treatments". Again, this could happen, but it doesn't.

People make inferences and cause/effect statements all the time without doing the real work. They don't care to do the work. Do they do the work with regard to their hard-on medication? You bet. That's a priority that society has deemed worthy of real research. Do they want to do the real work with regard to some curriculum? No chance.

Just to be clear, the "test" being discussed in this article is not some federally-mandated nationwide Common Core test, but rather is a practice test designed by a private publication company called Pearson that is designed to test students' understanding of Common Core principles in New York. I agree that some of the questions written by Pearson in this particular practice test are poorly-worded and confusing. However, the underlying Common Core principles that this particular practice test is designed to test -- basic addition and subtraction of single digit numbers -- is anything but controversial. There will certainly be instances in which test-makers write bad questions, but that fact says absolutely nothing about the validity of the underlying Common Core principles that the test is designed to measure.

I have been teaching fifth grade Common Core math for the last two years and I am working on implementing English/language arts in my district. The concept behind it is pretty solid. The problem is that we literally are a nation of nitwits and the testing behind this is crazy difficult. In Wisconsin, we start taking the test for it next year. The difference between the state test the kids take now and the test they are going to take next year is very similar to the difference between high school football and pro football.

A big part of the problem is going to be telling students who are used to being called 'advanced' that they are merely 'proficient', or even 'basic'. Kids who used to score 'basic will certainly be 'below basic'. Whatever though...it's just another feather in the cap of Obama, a man who has grandiose plans but neglects to sweat the details.

I give this system another 3 - 4 years before the next president blows it up and thinks of another dumb idea to jam down peoples' throats. I guess, if nothing else, it is a pretty good reason to send you kids to private school.

There will certainly be instances in which test-makers write bad questions, but that fact says absolutely nothing about the validity of the underlying Common Core principles that the test is designed to measure.
Well put. This is what I was trying to point out above, but worded better.

I have been teaching fifth grade Common Core math for the last two years ...
Could you be more specific here? There is no such things as a Common Core math program. They're a list of standards that people teach towards.

Are you saying that you're attempt to teach to these standards? Or are you saying that you are using a curriculum that is called "Common Core Math" that was written by a private company?

Could you be more specific here? There is no such things as a Common Core math program. They're a list of standards that people teach towards.

Are you saying that you're attempt to teach to these standards? Or are you saying that you are using a curriculum that is called "Common Core Math" that was written by a private company?
I teach the Houghton Mifflin version of Common Core math. It follows the scope and sequence of the Common Core in terms of the critical areas that need to addressed at my grade level. Obviously, there are probably different ways to achieve the instructional emphasis on the critical areas, depending on what company is presenting it.

Each lesson is specifically linked to one or more standards. Personally, I enjoy the way it is presented and I find it pretty easy to teach. The kids and their parents? They don't like it so much.

I teach the Houghton Mifflin version of Common Core math. It follows the scope and sequence of the Common Core in terms of the critical areas that need to addressed at my grade level. Obviously, there are probably different ways to achieve the instructional emphasis on the critical areas, depending on what company is presenting it.

Each lesson is specifically linked to one or more standards. Personally, I enjoy the way it is presented and I find it pretty easy to teach. The kids and their parents? They don't like it so much.
Thanks for clarifying. :)

That's another problem. I have no idea how to teach it to my kids. I understand it. I can do it myself, but I can't explain to my 8 year old, in language she can understand, how to do it.

One reason I like Common Core is that it will make an earnest attempt to separate the wheat from the chaff in terms of both teachers and students. The standards are all reading and thinking intensive; meaning that if thinking is not your thing, you will be screwed until they go away. Many teachers do not like this because it pretty much does away with rote memorization and forces the teacher to go away from a fill in the blank worksheet/ crossword puzzle curriculum, which is way more common than people think. It emphasizes higher level thinking skills such as analysis, application, and critical reasoning. Like I said before though, there are way more dumb people (students, teachers, administrators, pie in the sky academics) around than you think. I am not convinced this will be able to work because of that.

That first grade stuff is a prime example. Even giving a first grader a no nonsense standardized test is pretty stupid, in my opinion. Many of them barley know what planet they are one, let alone are able to read and comprehend the instructions of the test they are giving.

That's another problem. I have no idea how to teach it to my kids. I understand it. I can do it myself, but I can't explain to my 8 year old, in language she can understand, how to do it.
The biggest imperative is that kids understand the academic vocabulary. You should be drilling your kid on what the words in the instructions mean. It is tough to analyze something, or even summarize something if you have no idea what those words mean. Most kids do not have a clue. http://www.marileesprenger.com/the-critical-words.html Start teaching your kids this list. Your kid's teacher may or may not understand the need for understanding of these words.

Hooper31 said:
Ilov80s said:
Hooper31 said:
The problem you're pointing out isn't common core. Its the group that made that test. The group that agreed upon the standards didn't write that test. Like I said, I have problems with some of the standards, but I'm not going to point to Common Core and gripe about those test questions.
I didn't point out a problem, I linked an article that seems to relate to the topic. I don't think I have made any posts that say the actual standards of the Common Core are bad or any specific ones aren't right.

The biggest imperative is that kids understand the academic vocabulary. You should be drilling your kid on what the words in the instructions mean. It is tough to analyze something, or even summarize something if you have no idea what those words mean. Most kids do not have a clue. http://www.marileesprenger.com/the-critical-words.html Start teaching your kids this list. Your kid's teacher may or may not understand the need for understanding of these words.
We actually had an inservice today ( about teaching EL (formerly known as ESL or English Second Language)) however, all the lessons could really apply to any learner. A key element was the idea of reading, explaining, and emphasizing the directions. I think teachers and students overlook that a lot.

One reason I like Common Core is that it will make an earnest attempt to separate the wheat from the chaff in terms of both teachers and students. The standards are all reading and thinking intensive; meaning that if thinking is not your thing, you will be screwed until they go away. .
wtf

One reason I like Common Core is that it will make an earnest attempt to separate the wheat from the chaff in terms of both teachers and students. The standards are all reading and thinking intensive; meaning that if thinking is not your thing, you will be screwed until they go away. .
wtf
Is the goal of our school system to get rid of those that aren't good thinkers? If it is, we don't need Common Core standards for that. Talk to any competent teacher and they can tell you which kids in the class struggle with learning and thinking to a significant degree. We have no problem identifying them. We have problems figuring out what to do with them. Common Core doesn't solve that. It doesn't say how to make them better thinkers, it doesn't say how to motivate them or how to improve their ability to learn.

Your school or district has adopted HM's math program. That math program has curriculum that is aligned to CCOS. It may very well be the same curriculum - syllabus, pacing guide, et al - that was in place a decade ago. However, HM has done a correlation of that curriculum to the CCOS and added curriculum to address deficiencies in that correlation. It's not any different when state standards ruled the day a few years ago but the carrot for success is much, much greater.

Usually most standardized math techniques teach concepts and thinking that have nothing to do with math.
Can you expound on that?
Usually, if you take the crap they teach in these types of standardized math to some college math professor and ask them questions on it, they would have no clue in what is being asked because so much of it has nothing to do with math. Math is math and the fundamentals have not changed in centuries. But there is always these new techniques which are usually a bunch of nonsense that people who don't understand math can teach.

Usually most standardized math techniques teach concepts and thinking that have nothing to do with math.
Can you expound on that?
Usually, if you take the crap they teach in these types of standardized math to some college math professor and ask them questions on it, they would have no clue in what is being asked because so much of it has nothing to do with math. Math is math and the fundamentals have not changed in centuries. But there is always these new techniques which are usually a bunch of nonsense that people who don't understand math can teach.
Ok, I agree with this. You take the math taught in elementary to the high school math teachers and they will usually say it is garbage. Math is not complicated ( at least not in primary school) and there is no reason to clutter it up. IMO, it is all about money. New techniques (even if they are old ideas just repackaged under new names) means new books to sell, new tours of the professional development circle, new studies, etc. Education has become a complete racket.

Can you expound on that?
Ok, I agree with this. You take the math taught in elementary to the high school math teachers and they will usually say it is garbage. Math is not complicated ( at least not in primary school) and there is no reason to clutter it up. IMO, it is all about money. New techniques (even if they are old ideas just repackaged under new names) means new books to sell, new tours of the professional development circle, new studies, etc. Education has become a complete racket.
Exactly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PprP5TCZBRI

This high school senior does an amazing job of breaking down his criticisms on Common Core and the direction our education system is being pulled.
This high school senior does an amazing job of regurgitating the same old lines that are full of misrepresentations, half-truths, and full-out wrongness...
If you can, please refute any of his points that you can with details, especially since you seem so certain of your position. Thanks,

This high school senior does an amazing job of breaking down his criticisms on Common Core and the direction our education system is being pulled.
This high school senior does an amazing job of regurgitating the same old lines that are full of misrepresentations, half-truths, and full-out wrongness...
Based on what I have read and what you have posted here, the kid is wrong about quite a few items- particularly his opening comments regarding the lack of teacher involvement in crafting the standards. However, that does not negate other portions of his speech which I believe are very important (teaching and learning can't be measured with a series of data points, education isn't about checking off a list of standards, etc.)

Based on what I have read and what you have posted here, the kid is wrong about quite a few items- particularly his opening comments regarding the lack of teacher involvement in crafting the standards. However, that does not negate other portions of his speech which I believe are very important (teaching and learning can't be measured with a series of data points, education isn't about checking off a list of standards, etc.)
None of which have anything to do with the common core. If you are upset with testing practices or teacher effectiveness or school district effectiveness or federal funding for education then great...but don't blame it on common core standards. That's like being mad at the bank when you get your statement because your job doesn't pay enough.

Prince Myshkin said:
Ilov80s said:
Prince Myshkin said:
Ilov80s said:

None of which have anything to do with the common core. If you are upset with testing practices or teacher effectiveness or school district effectiveness or federal funding for education then great...but don't blame it on common core standards. That's like being mad at the bank when you get your statement because your job doesn't pay enough.
Actually, it does. It is a checklist of grade by grade what every kid must know. Also, a major component of the entire Common Core movement is testing.

Prince Myshkin said:
Ilov80s said:
Prince Myshkin said:
Ilov80s said:

Actually, it does. It is a checklist of grade by grade what every kid must know. Also, a major component of the entire Common Core movement is testing.
No, it isn't. What do you mean "must know"? What happens if they don't???

And the "Common Core Movement" is a politically derived term that has little or no meaning in actual education. The Common Core is merely a set of standards -- that's it. What states and districts choose to do with those standards is up to the individual state and district.

I have no idea why I have allowed myself back into this debate...I'm obviously not making a dent in the misconceptions.

No, it isn't. What do you mean "must know"? What happens if they don't???

And the "Common Core Movement" is a politically derived term that has little or no meaning in actual education. The Common Core is merely a set of standards -- that's it. What states and districts choose to do with those standards is up to the individual state and district.

I have no idea why I have allowed myself back into this debate...I'm obviously not making a dent in the misconceptions.
This is a solid post. I have problems with Common Core (CC), but most of the complaints I see have nothing to do with CC.

Prince Myshkin said:
Ilov80s said:
Prince Myshkin said:
Ilov80s said:

No, it isn't. What do you mean "must know"? What happens if they don't???And the "Common Core Movement" is a politically derived term that has little or no meaning in actual education. The Common Core is merely a set of standards -- that's it. What states and districts choose to do with those standards is up to the individual state and district.

What is a standard if not what kids have to learn or attempt to learn? You can also go to the Common Core's own website in the FAQ section and if says, "the Common Core State Standards enable collaboration between states on a range of tools and policies, including: the development and implementation of common comprehensive assessment systems to measure student performance annually that will replace existing state testing systems"

You are right the CC are just standards of what needs to be taught at each level. However, it is being created with the mass testing of these standards in mind. It was one of the motivating factors behind the CC creation. You can separate the two and discuss the actual standards vs the testing. However, I don't see how anything that is posted in this thread about testing should be dismissed by you as not having anything to do with CC.

Prince Myshkin said:
Ilov80s said:
Prince Myshkin said:
Ilov80s said:

No, it isn't. What do you mean "must know"? What happens if they don't???And the "Common Core Movement" is a politically derived term that has little or no meaning in actual education. The Common Core is merely a set of standards -- that's it. What states and districts choose to do with those standards is up to the individual state and district.

What is a standard if not what kids have to learn or attempt to learn? You can also go to the Common Core's own website in the FAQ section and if says, "the Common Core State Standards enable collaboration between states on a range of tools and policies, including: the development and implementation of common comprehensive assessment systems to measure student performance annually that will replace existing state testing systems"

You are right the CC are just standards of what needs to be taught at each level. However, it is being created with the mass testing of these standards in mind. It was one of the motivating factors behind the CC creation. You can separate the two and discuss the actual standards vs the testing. However, I don't see how anything that is posted in this thread about testing should be dismissed by you as not having anything to do with CC.
To me, one of the advantages of the common core standards is that it allows the opportunities for common testing across states. But guess what? Most states were already taking standardized (or not so standardized) tests over older standards and many of those standards and many of those tests weren't very good. This isn't some new phenomena created by common core. Anybody can make a test and slap the term "common core" across the top of it and try to sell it. States and districts have to be selective in the materials they choose, as they have always needed to be.

Most textbook and testing companies are low down, dirty, SOB's. They take old stuff, slap a new title on it with the latest catch-prhase, raise the prices, and sell as many as they can. I was at the National Science Teachers Association in San Antonio last year exactly 1 day after the Next Generation Science Standards (sort of like common core for science) were released. There were companies in the exhibits hall selling materials that were "aligned to NGSS" -- so they had written a text book overnight to match the standards??? The guy in charge of the group that wrote the standards told one "you guys must have worked awfully hard last night!"

So does the common core enable collaboration on materials including testing - sure. But those materials and tests are not part of the common core, they are designed and sold by competing companies. If states/districts are foolish enough to purchase poor materials, then that is on that particular state or district, not the common core. My guess is they were probably making poor purchasing decisions before as well, and there's not much a set of standards can do about that.

I'm actually excited about the testing options that are being designed. Here in Kentucky we have been designing our own assessments for the past 20 years or so, and the reliability and validity of those tests have been questionable at best. The test we've used for common core the last couple of years has been somewhat better (although more difficult) and I think there will be even better options out there when our contract with these testing materials runs out. But again, if we pick one that is crap, I'm not going to run around bashing the standards. I'm going to question the people that made the test and those that purchased it.

Users who are viewing this thread