What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Comparing LeSean McCoy to Barry Sanders (1 Viewer)

dhockster

Footballguy
I heard a radio talk show host saying how ridiculus it was that he was hearing LeSean McCoy compared to Barry Sanders. Obviously, any comparison of Careers is insane because McCoy is only in his 5th season. However, if you look at their results through 5 seasons and it is a much closer comparison than you might think:

McCoy: 71 games, 57 starts, 7,198 total yards (rush & rec.), 46 total TD's, 4.72 rushing avg.

Sanders: 73 games, 71 starts, 8,288 total yards, 60 total TD's, 4.74 rushing avg.

Keep in mind that McCoy still has 3 games left in his 5th season, so those numbers will get closer by year-end.

Besides the numbers, if you watch a lot of McCoy, you see how his style is similar to Sanders. Both are ankle-breakers. Sanders may be the best of all time, but the more I watch of McCoy, the more I am amazed at some of his moves. Even on Sunday, I thought, no way McCoy is effective in the snow with his style. And yet he went off for 217 and made some stop and go moves which were ridiculus in those conditions.

Using stats to compare these two doesn't do Barry Sanders justice at all. That Lions O-line was so damn bad. I get why people want to compare the two, but Barry was facing pressure 3 yards deep in his own backfield.

This is interesting as just the other day I was thinking about how Barry would fit into the Kelly offense. At times I wish McCoy was a 1 cut and go type running back. I watched that game and it was interesting to note that most of the success McCoy had was inside the tackles. Pretty much all the stretch plays were tackles for loss yardage.

Using stats to compare these two doesn't do Barry Sanders justice at all. That Lions O-line was so damn bad. I get why people want to compare the two, but Barry was facing pressure 3 yards deep in his own backfield.
I am not denigrading Sanders at all. I think he is the greatest running back of all time. I was just making the point that comparing McCoy to him based on production and style is not as farfetched as one might initially think.

As for O-lines, McCoy has a pro bowler in Jason Peters and Sanders had a pro bowler in Lomas Brown. I really can't think of any other notable lineman on either team.

I truly believe the best all-time comparison for Sanders is the greased up deaf guy from Family Guy. LT2 might be my favorite RB of all time due to his all around game, but no one could juke and slip tackles like Sanders. McCoy is a stud, but like another poster above mentioned, McCoy usually get first touched around or past the LOS. Sanders spent his career having to elude the first tackler in his own backfield probably more than any other back, and he was able to not only do it, but put up studly numbers in the process.

I am not denigrading Sanders at all. I think he is the greatest running back of all time. I was just making the point that comparing McCoy to him based on production and style is not as farfetched as one might initially think.

As for O-lines, McCoy has a pro bowler in Jason Peters and Sanders had a pro bowler in Lomas Brown. I really can't think of any other notable lineman on either team.
I keep hearing how bad Sanders' line was, but that is really based on the argument of Sanders vs. E Smith (and his other-worldly O-line)...most other RBs (like an LT) had a line more like Barry's.

It was arguably the worst OL of all time.

I have used these two names in sentences from time to time and I will say that McCoy is the closest reminder i have seen since the time Barry left. However, without comitting outright blashemy, I will expand on that statement by saying that "closest" is a relative term; like saying the moon is very close to the Earth on a solar systemic scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
No RB in NFL history compares to Barry Sanders. McCoy is more of a Faulk. Both are great RBs who catch well out of the backfield and are elusiveness backs with a dash of power. Both are medium sized backs.

Sanders averaged over 1500 rushing yards per season. If he hadn't retired so young he would be the all-time leading rusher.

McCoy will have his first ever 1500 yard season this season, in his fifth season.

When McCoy is only 1400 rushing yards shy of the all-time rushing record at the age of 30 this can be discussed.

People who talk about sports for a living are constantly making sensationalist comparisons.

I appreciate the post, but comparing these two is almost an insult to Barry Sanders. And the stats aren't even that close.

Barry was the most talented RB of all time. McCoy is one of the best performing RB's in the NFL the last couple years.

I watched all of Barry's career, and I've watched a ton of McCoy. I completely understand why the comparison's are made, and while I firmly believe Barry was superior, McCoy is the closest thing I've seen to him in style. The ability to make those violent cuts, the rapid change of direction, and the ability to do it at speed... it's rare. They both seem(ed) to be able to make a massive cut, or completely change direction, and return to full speed immediately. The word Burst is used a lot for RB's, those two define it in my opinion, just insane quickness.

For me, while Barry has an incredible list of highlights, it was the subtle things as well. Barry was incredible at seemingly sliding by tacklers, by just a slight shift in his weight, a quick step, dip of the shoulders... it was just awesome to watch. Easily my favorite player to watch of all time, a damn shame he was wasted on this abysmal franchise, but I am selfishly thrilled that he was.

Just popped in to see if this was a serious topic.

If you saw Barry play then you know it can't be. I just had to see if anyone was actually biting.

I watched all of Barry's career, and I've watched a ton of McCoy. I completely understand why the comparison's are made, and while I firmly believe Barry was superior, McCoy is the closest thing I've seen to him in style. The ability to make those violent cuts, the rapid change of direction, and the ability to do it at speed... it's rare. They both seem(ed) to be able to make a massive cut, or completely change direction, and return to full speed immediately. The word Burst is used a lot for RB's, those two define it in my opinion, just insane quickness.

For me, while Barry has an incredible list of highlights, it was the subtle things as well. Barry was incredible at seemingly sliding by tacklers, by just a slight shift in his weight, a quick step, dip of the shoulders... it was just awesome to watch. Easily my favorite player to watch of all time, a damn shame he was wasted on this abysmal franchise, but I am selfishly thrilled that he was.
:goodposting:

Thank you for putting into words what I was thinking in comparing the two.

It is very funny to see the indignation from some people for even bringing up a comparison. I saw Barry Sanders play and he did truly amazing things. I have also been watching McCoy and he is doing some amazing things as well, though not as good as Sanders. I like what you said about Sanders sliding by tacklers, it is a very apt description. This is probably the biggest thing that McCoy does not have the way Sanders does.

No RB in NFL history compares to Barry Sanders. McCoy is more of a Faulk. Both are great RBs who catch well out of the backfield and are elusiveness backs with a dash of power. Both are medium sized backs.

Sanders averaged over 1500 rushing yards per season. If he hadn't retired so young he would be the all-time leading rusher.

McCoy will have his first ever 1500 yard season this season, in his fifth season.

When McCoy is only 1400 rushing yards shy of the all-time rushing record at the age of 30 this can be discussed.

People who talk about sports for a living are constantly making sensationalist comparisons.
This guy should post more. :thumbup:

I have used these two names in sentences from time to time and I will say that McCoy is the closest reminder i have seen since the time Barry left. However, without comitting outright blashemy, I will expand on that statement by saying that "closest" is a relative term; like saying the moon is very close to the Earth on a solar systemic scale.
This. McCoy is the closest thing to Barry since Barry, but there will never be another Barry.

The problem also is that barry was that whole offense from the day he walked in the door. He averaged 306 carries a year for his career. Mccoy had to sit behind Brian Westbrook his first year and was stuck in the Andy Reid no run offense for 3 more years. Hes averaged 219 carries a year so far. Its a bit unfair to say because he hasn't had 1500 yard seasons that he has no shot to be as good as Barry.I'll admit it's a long shot but he's the closest skill set I've seen since Barry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is McCoy going to fax his retirement papers to the Philadelphia Inquirer at the end of the season?

If so, then they would be very similar players. If not, then no.

Just popped in to see if this was a serious topic.

If you saw Barry play then you know it can't be. I just had to see if anyone was actually biting.
Seriously. McCoy's a fine running back. But, anyone looking at numbers to draw comparisons never saw Barry play.

McCoy is not as shifty and elusive as Sanders (Who is?), but McCoy is the closest I've seen, in my lifetime, in terms of cutting and changing directions in short space.

McCoy is not as shifty and elusive as Sanders (Who is?), but McCoy is the closest I've seen, in my lifetime, in terms of cutting and changing directions in short space.
Exactly. That's all I'm saying. Barry was Barry. There will never be another like him. Shady just gives me glimpses every now and then when makes 6 guys miss horribly and then cuts the play all the way back. Plus, he's only 5 years into his career. Who knows.

Why do we compare every next great juking RB to Sanders? How about Gale Sayers? McCoy is closer to Sayers than to Barry when you consider height/weight/build.

2 things:

1) Using "pro bowls" to compare linemen is pretty silly. Being a pro bowler doesn't mean they were a great O-linemen or even comparable.

2) His point was that you're basing the comparison on the stats, and the fact that both are "ankle breakers". Just watching both play, your assertion doesn't pass the eye test. Numbers only go so far.

McCoy and Barry may have similar stats through their first 5 years or whatever the OP said, but that is where the comparison ends. McCoy is a good RB, with moves more similar to Tomlinson in my opinion, but he is not near Barry. I've never witnessed a RB even close to Barry's style and doubt I ever will. McCoy is not a good comparison.

Why do we compare every next great juking RB to Sanders? How about Gale Sayers? McCoy is closer to Sayers than to Barry when you consider height/weight/build.
Because Barry was so much fun to watch. We should all hope there is another one just like him

Who ever compares anyone to Barry does not know anything about football or ever seen Barry play.

End of thread.

Barry was fantastic but he style did not allow him to grind out wins. Thus he only made the playoffs once I think and they lost.

Barry was fantastic but he style did not allow him to grind out wins. Thus he only made the playoffs once I think and they lost.
Get real. For one, the Lions made the playoffs five times during Sanders' tenure, and for two, you try making the playoffs in the NFC Central back then with Rodney Peete and Scott Mitchell as your QB, while the Packers had Favre and the Vikings usually had someone good, too (Moon, etc.).

This is a misconception. First, they made the playoffs multiple times during Barry's career, only winning once, in 91 (Was there, he had an incredible run during that game).

Secondly, Barry was perfectly capable of grinding out yards. He didn't improvise and reverse field every time he touched the ball, he just did it more frequently than most, and far more successfully. Barry did plenty of hitting the hole and picking up what was there as well. He took a lot of losses, plenty on his own doing, but that wasn't the only factor. The Lions never had a great line, and for a lot of his career, they ran the Run and Shoot. The R&S did wonders for spreading the field and giving Barry room to work, but it also left him susceptible to any breakdowns in the Oline with no FB or TE to clean things up. I'd argue that his high number of losses was equal parts offensive system, and Barry's style.

Those of you who seem offended at the comparison, I am as big a Barry fan as anyone. I became a football/Lion's fan in 88, and watched his entire career. There is nobody close to him in my opinion. However, the only back I've seen since him to come close to his ability to change direction at speed, and accelerate out of a juke, is McCoy. Barry did it far better, and Barry did a lot more in my opinion as a runner, but I can completely see why watching McCoy can trigger memories of Barry.

I've honestly not watched much Sayers, so I can't speak to that comparison. That may be a closer comparison, I have no idea.

Shady even says no.

I dont really see it as a comparison, McCoy said, via Philly.com. I think Barry is probably the best running back to ever play this game. They compare us probably because of the cutbacks, but there is still a big gap between us two.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/07/lesean-mccoy-theres-a-big-gap-between-me-and-barry-sanders/

This thread made me lookup Sanders highlight videos on YouTube and enjoy his runs again. He was insane. 0-60 in a split second, then to a 100 in 3 seconds. Amazing burst of speed along with the ankle breaking ability. Just incredible to watch. :thumbup:

Marshall Faulk is probably the better comparable due to versatility.

I expect McCoy to get 2000+ total yard, 10+ TD seasons annually for the next few years barring injury.

I'm not sure what the argument is because to me, without even considering the teams they played for, the stats clearly show Barry was the superior RB. The difference in yards and TDs is significant

I'm not sure what the argument is because to me, without even considering the teams they played for, the stats clearly show Barry was the superior RB. The difference in yards and TDs is significant
If you consider the teams they play for it's even more impressive, since without Barry the Lions were arguably the worst team year after year. They might have won 5 games without Barry during his career, and that's on the high side.

If you consider the teams they play for it's even more impressive, since without Barry the Lions were arguably the worst team year after year. They might have won 5 games without Barry during his career, and that's on the high side.
That's not true. Sanders played 10 seasons. The Lions were a playoff team 5 of those. They actually made the playoffs the year AFTER Sanders retired which showed they weren't just carried by Sanders.

That's not true. Sanders played 10 seasons. The Lions were a playoff team 5 of those. They actually made the playoffs the year AFTER Sanders retired which showed they weren't just carried by Sanders.
You might be talking about after Barry's career ended. I was talking about during Barry's career.

Get real. For one, the Lions made the playoffs five times during Sanders' tenure, and for two, you try making the playoffs in the NFC Central back then with Rodney Peete and Scott Mitchell as your QB, while the Packers had Favre and the Vikings usually had someone good, too (Moon, etc.).
Yeah, plus playing in the Black and Blue division is why they had such a hard time in the playoffs. You get beat up so badly against the Packers/Bears/Vikings that you can't do well in the playoffs.

You might be talking about after Barry's career ended. I was talking about during Barry's career.
I'm not. Sanders played from 89-98. The Lions made the playoffs in 91, 93, 94, 95 and 97. Then they made the playoffs the year after he retired in 99.

I'm not. Sanders played from 89-98. The Lions made the playoffs in 91, 93, 94, 95 and 97. Then they made the playoffs the year after he retired in 99.
So is 99 after 98? Numbers aren't my first language.

So is 99 after 98? Numbers aren't my first language.
Apparently, neither is reading comprehension.

Users who are viewing this thread