What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Confusing draft decision? (1 Viewer)

pinequick

Footballguy
Link

I honestly didn't see much of this guy this season, but his #'s are awful. Anybody in West Lafayette have the scoop on why this decision was made?

Anybody have insights as to whether or not he'll even get drafted?

Forgive my stupid Canadian question, but if a guy declares, doesn't sign with an agent and isn't drafted, can he go back to school for another year and try again?

Forgive my stupid Canadian question, but if a guy declares, doesn't sign with an agent and isn't drafted, can he go back to school for another year and try again?
Pretty sure there is a specific application required to declare and there should be a deadline to withdraw, and that's above and beyond agent issues. If I remember right, it is possible to declare/withdraw without an agent, but it wouldn't make sense to withdraw once you've hired one because you are NCAA ineligible. Here's a link to the 2005 NFL calendar where the entry deadline was the 15th and the deadline to withdraw an application was Jan 19th.http://www.gbnreport.com/footballcalendar.html

Link

I honestly didn't see much of this guy this season, but his #'s are awful. Anybody in West Lafayette have the scoop on why this decision was made?

Anybody have insights as to whether or not he'll even get drafted?
He got benched late in the year for a red-shirt Freshman...Curtis Painter. His playing time going forward will be nil.

Sounds like a guy who should be transferring instead of going pro. Going pro doesn't make much sense because he's basically hanging up the cleats.

I remember David Klingler's brother declared early because he knocked his girlfriend up. I have no idea who is advising these guys.

Sounds like a guy who should be transferring instead of going pro. Going pro doesn't make much sense because he's basically hanging up the cleats.
He only had one year left. Probably not worth sitting a year (and going to I-AA wouldn't help his draft stock).

Painter was going to start next year no matter what. Kirsch just had no reason to stay.
Correct. This guy won't be drafted (and shouldn't). He's a bit more athletic than Orton, has decent arm strength, but his accuracy and leadership are sub-par. He might get a practice squad gig and hope to continue developing. He really never had the full attention of the Boiler coaching staff, so who knows, maybe he's got more raw ability than has been shown.

His only hope is a great showing at the combine.
The combine is by invitation only, with the vast majority (approx 80%) going to Seniors. Based on what's been posted about this guy so far, I highly doubt he gets one of the underclassmen spots.

There was an article on scout.com that talked a little about why the influx of underclassmen declaring. Supposedly, there is a rumor out there that owners will be voting on a rookie salary cap figure or something. I kind of skimmed over it, but will see if I can find it again.

Here it is:

Underclassmen making mad rush for 2006 draft

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread