What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Congrats to the Broncos (1 Viewer)

Mr.Happy

Footballguy
I have learned a lot as a sports fan here at FBGS, and I have been throug the good and the bad for New England teams. I have said some dumb things, and have held my tongue on others. And all the lessons I learned here are why I am making this post.The Broncos won. They took advantage of every opportunity and they made the plays when they had too. They were the winners. The best team is not one that plays the best, but the one that wins the scoreboard. Being a Pats fan, getting used to ugly wins, I have learned that greatness and excellence has many forms. And today, the Broncos took the form of excellence.Shannahan, quite possibly, is equal to Belichick in terms of coaching and team building. And has been delt a very weak hand with QBs, making the best he could make with what he had. Plummer may be the one to do it now, but there is no question that Shanny has done a tremendous job.Nice work guys, you earned it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good posting.All week long, I felt that the Broncos were the better team. Despite the strange bounces of the football tonight, I still think that Denver was better this year and tonight.Good luck the rest of the way.And for the non-Broncos fans crowing tonight, please turn the tool factor down.Thanks.Will answer yours.

I'm no Shanny fan, but the Broncos found a way to win despite the Pats D essentially shutting down their rushing game, which was said to be the 'way' they could win. Tough D, good special teams. Capitalize on turnovers. Good luck next week. :thumbup:

I'm no Shanny fan, but the Broncos found a way to win despite the Pats D essentially shutting down their rushing game, which was said to be the 'way' they could win. Tough D, good special teams. Capitalize on turnovers. Good luck next week. :thumbup:
In the 4th quarter, the Broncos rushing game looked very good to me. Different game you watched?

In the 4th quarter. Are you serious? This is the team that ran roughshod on the Pats the first time around. At the end of the first half, Anderson had roughly 30 yards. That's nothing to crow about.They racked up some yards in the 4th quarter when they were killing the clock. They didn't win the game with it. It was said to be their strong point. That was my point.

I'm no Shanny fan, but the Broncos found a way to win despite the Pats D essentially shutting down their rushing game, which was said to be the 'way' they could win. Tough D, good special teams. Capitalize on turnovers. Good luck next week.  :thumbup:
In the 4th quarter, the Broncos rushing game looked very good to me. Different game you watched?
So you are saying that the Broncos only ran well for 25% of the game, but that classifies the rushing game as looking "good"?This game was won in the air, on D and on ST. Anderson did nothing but punch in TDs and grind out the clock.

I thought it was a good game and with a couple bounces the other way, it could have been a win for either team.

Colin
That has pretty much been the case with just about every Patriots playoff game (except for the two AFC games last year) since 2001.

I thought it was a good game and with a couple bounces the other way, it could have been a win for either team.

Colin
That has pretty much been the case with just about every Patriots playoff game (except for the two AFC games last year) since 2001.
That has pretty much been the case with just about every game in NFL history.Football is a game where a few bounces will regularly determine the outcome. That's why New England's 10-0 streak in the playoffs (and Denver's 8-0 streak at home, and Seattle's streak without a playoff win, and every single NFL streak ever) has a very large element of luck involved.

That said, it's always good to see FBG's being excellent to each other.

Colin
Great teams find a way to win, making the bounces go their way. The Pats have been fantastic at "getting the bounces to go their way" for 3 impressive runs. I think that the Broncos winning tonight by making the most of their chances should put the Colts and Steelers on notice that the Broncos are not to be trifled with..

Classy post :thumbup: Also, very classy responses.

This is a very classy thread. I almost hate to be posting in my underwear.
On the other end of the spectrum, I've had WEEI on in the background for the last hour. Talk about a bunch of worthless nonsense. To sum up: "We gave the game away. We were clearly the better team. Denver is terrible, especially the defense; just look at the stats. Plummer is terrible. They will get killed by whoever they play next."

Shocking. :lmao: WEEI is populated -- for the most part -- by guys who couldn't get jobs anywhere else. Yet somehow they lay claim to being the #1 rated sports radio station or some such rot.

Classy post  :thumbup:   Also, very classy responses.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've had WEEI on in the background for the last hour. Talk about a bunch of worthless nonsense. To sum up: "We gave the game away. We were clearly the better team. Denver is terrible, especially the defense; just look at the stats. Plummer is terrible. They will get killed by whoever they play next."
Every NFL town has those types -and talk sports radio seems to bring them out.

I'm not sure how anyone who watched the game could think the Broncos didn't deserve to win. The Pats made a large number of mistakes, but just as importantly, the Broncos didn't fool around - they capitalized on most every opportunity. THat's the sign of a very good team.

Every NFL town has those types -and talk sports radio seems to bring them out.
I think we have more than our share around Boston. The animosity in all the insane blabber sets it apart.

I have learned a lot as a sports fan here at FBGS, and I have been throug the good and the bad for New England teams. I have said some dumb things, and have held my tongue on others. And all the lessons I learned here are why I am making this post.

The Broncos won. They took advantage of every opportunity and they made the plays when they had too. They were the winners. The best team is not one that plays the best, but the one that wins the scoreboard. Being a Pats fan, getting used to ugly wins, I have learned that greatness and excellence has many forms. And today, the Broncos took the form of excellence.

Shannahan, quite possibly, is equal to Belichick in terms of coaching and team building. And has been delt a very weak hand with QBs, making the best he could make with what he had. Plummer may be the one to do it now, but there is no question that Shanny has done a tremendous job.

Nice work guys, you earned it.
Thanks Mr. Happy, as many have already said, classy post. I just got home from the game, and was interested to see what people were saying about it. I had the pleasure of sitting next to a classy Patriot fan at the game. It actually forced me to be more objective while watching the game. We analyzed almost every play, he gave more of the Patriot perspective and I the Bronco perspective. I still cheered alot but sitting and talking to a fan of the other team made it less homerism and more objective for me. I would like to say I'd be as classy as he was if my team was the one to lose. I'm not 100% sure if that is true. Maybe if I was in their stadium I would be, but in our house I'm just not sure. It was an excellent game nonetheless.BTW, what kind of playcalling was that on 3rd and inches then on 4th and 1 when the score was still 0-0. You aren't the coach of the Texans yet Kube.

That one really cracked up my new Patriot fan friend.

I love when people say this. It just makes me wonder how lowly they must view their own team to say such a thing. That said, I hate dumb people.

I love when people say this. It just makes me wonder how lowly they must view their own team to say such a thing. That said, I hate dumb people.
Meh, I actually agree with that poster - if Denver plays like they did this week, they're going to get killed. It reminded me a lot of the NE-Jacksonville game last week. Sure, they killed Jacksonville 28-3, but they didn't play that well on offense and got quite a few lucky breaks (recovering 4 of their own fumbles, Watson breaking a sure tackle because of a cast). I see a very similar thing with Denver this week. They killed the Pats, but their offense could do absolutely nothing without turnovers for incredible field position until late in the 4th quarter. First and goal on the 1 yard line after a turnover and silly pass interference call, first and goal on the one after a pick, first and ten on the Patriot's 11, and then recovering a special teams fumble in field goal range. The worst teams in the league would score 20 points without moving the ball more than 1 yard each time. All right, 17 points. That long field goal was a great kick.This isn't to say that Denver will lose, in that much I disagree with the sentiment above. They do need to play better, however, especially if they have to travel to Indy. Their pass rush is excellent, but the rest of the team needs to step it up next week. I think they can. I've always liked Plummer as a player, and although I'll always root against Denver (Packer fan as well as Pats fan), I'll be happy for the guy if his team gets to the SB.

Unfortunately, I thought the Patriots would play better than last week as well. I was wrong.

GG

Pats fans shouldn't feel too bad about this loss, because it was a well-deserved loss. Turnovers absolutely killed the Patriots. I mean, just look at the stats...

Jake Plummer goes 15/26/197, 1TD, 1INT

Broncos have less than 100 yards rushing as a team

Brady goes 20/36/341, 1TD, 2INT

Patriots have less than 100 yards rushing as a team

Going by the numbers, running games were roughly comparable. But Brady passed quite a bit more than Plummer did, but he also had one more INT (even though that last one was more or less in garbage time at the end). Vinatieri's missed FG was just icing on the cake - not the reason they lost all by itself. No, turnovers killed the Patriots, pure and simple. Can't turn the ball over 5 times and hope to win a playoff game. While there was one bad call - that pass interference on Asante Samuel in the end zone - Patriots fans can't hang the loss on that any more than on Vinatieri. Broncos deserved the win because they won the turnover battle.

Good luck next week DEN.Thatguy needs to look at the stats and come to the conclusion that even though DEN won this game they need to play a better game to beat either PIT or IND.Is that better thatguy?Let's try and be a little kinder to other posters here in 2006.

All the turnovers led to points. Except for the last Brady Hail Mary. Dominant. The offensive states weren't there because of short drives. Nice game Denver, you surprised me.

Congratulations to the Broncos and their fans. As a Pats fan, I can appreciate what your team accomplished last night because it was eerily like watching a Pats game. Your D bent but didn't break, you took advantage of every turnover and beneficial call (whether or not it was interference or not, you guys did take advantage right away like a champion should), and you didn't just try and run out the clock with 7-8 minutes left. As soon as I saw play-action on that 1st down pass to Smith, I knew we were dead. Great call and great execution.Yeah, we do have our yahoos on the radio up here in Boston, but I really believe intelligent fans just either tune them out or shut them off (I am in the latter group.) If Denver can play a similar style next week, they may be in the Super Bowl. They have good speed on defense, can pressure the QB (key when facing either Pitt or Indy, as we have seen the last two years), and have a whole lot of momentum. Good luck Broncos. This is one Pats fan who will be pulling for you the rest of the way. :thumbup:

I have even more respect for Tom Brady after last nights game. He stood at the podium and answered all the tough questions and didn't whine at all. Great to see one of the best QB's in this era be so classy in defeat. :thumbup:

Rock solid game for the Broncos. As a Pats fan, Im hating it naturally, but Im giving it up to Denver for an excellent all around game. Plummer played great, the D was stifling, special teams was huge in many respects, the turnovers were gigantic, and New England just didnt quite have enough. Denver fans...big time Congrats and good luck going forward.

Congrats Bronco Fans...your team did what a championship team should do...turn turnovers into points. A turnover is nothing if no points come out of it, and your team turned four turnovers into 24 points. Good Job.I did not actually get to see the game, for we lost power due to the wind storms in our area six minutes into it! (grrrr :hot: ) but I got to hear it (sitting in my car outside in the storm! lol). I did not get to hear any of the interviews after. I am hoping Patriot Fans give your team the props they deserve. Good luck in the AFC Championship game.

The funny thing is, these are the exact same guys who several years ago were going off on Rams fans who were saying that the better team lost.The CBS Sportsline forums have made me truly appreciate the subsection of fans that we get here at FBGs.

I have even more respect for Tom Brady after last nights game. He stood at the podium and answered all the tough questions and didn't whine at all. Great to see one of the best QB's in this era be so classy in defeat. :thumbup:
Not bad for his first ever press conference of that nature.The Broncos deserved the win because of the Pats mistakes. Had the Pats prevailed, despite the 5 turnovers and other missed opportunities (FG, Brady missing open WRs for TDs, etc.), what would that really say about the Broncos?

Faulk fumbles, Brown muffs a punt return, Hobbs fumbles, Brady throws 2 picks. Its not like most of these mistakes were made by rookies.

I still hate the officiating in the game regardless of the outcome. Terrible PI call on Samuel. Absolutely the worst I've seen in any playoff game. Bailey's fumble into the endzone....a friggin' BS review job there. Like you can't determine an infinite line straight up from the pylon.

That being said, the Pats have their share of fortunate calls go their way (see tuck rule game). I don't blame the refs for losing the game, I just think they contributed to the downward slide by the Pats. Pretty tough when your opponent is given the ball first and goal at the 1 yard line twice.

I'm sure the league was doing the jig when the Pats got bounced so new teams can get the the dance. Oh well. Look out for the Pats again in 2006.

I said in a Broncos vs. Patriots thread last week, that if I was wrong I would come in here and admit it.I was wrong. The Patriots made far too many mistakes, and the Bronocs capitalized on them. A bounce or two here or there, or a call goes our way, and it's a different game. But I'm not making excuses. That's playoff football.Congratulations Broncos fans, especially the posters on this board who kept their posts objective and intelligent. We all know who you are.

Congrats to the Broncos and their fans. I firmly believe the Superbowl is now the Broncos' to lose. The Broncos' run D will shut down the remaining contenders and only Brady could handle their ferocious blitz. And Shanny knows it.

Users who are viewing this thread