What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Congressman Steve King is a White Nationalist - UPDATE Good News for America - Steve King Loses (3 Viewers)

The article @OrtonToOlsen posted earlier made me think of you. I'd be curious about your thoughts if you have time to read it.
I just finished reading that article.  WOW.  That was a great read.  That is what rural Iowa is though.  It's crazy how much that hits home for me.  Some close friends my family moved to Sibley when I was a kid and the husband was the greens keeper at the golf course they mention.  (He's a Trump supporter)  I know who Mike Millenkamp is and when he was arrested.  He's a customer of his and so are his relatives.  One of the Millenkamps is just a few years older than me and he farms.

It's amazing how hypocritical these people are when they rely so heavily on these immigrants.  The farm economy is in trouble and Trump is doing nothing to help.  These people voted against their best interests.

Absolutely.  Sorry, maybe it's just me, but being in the KKK should be a disqualifying event for public office.
I don't agree. You do know Werner Von Braun was a Nazi, right? But he realized his error, and came to work for us and developed the rockets that allowed us to send a man to the moon.

If people are willing to change their minds, they should always be forgiven for previous beliefs. Not actions- if you did something seriously wrong in your past, that's different. But beliefs should be forgiven.
Or maybe it doesn't even have to be about forgiveness. Maybe we can just have a Congress that doesn't force out members based solely upon that person's prior exercise of the First Amendment?

If people are willing to change their minds, they should always be forgiven for previous beliefs. Not actions- if you did something seriously wrong in your past, that's different. But beliefs should be forgiven.
It's almost never a "thought crime" in entirety.  

Or maybe it doesn't even have to be about forgiveness. Maybe we can just have a Congress that doesn't force out members based solely upon that person's prior exercise of the First Amendment?
A Congressman today would be forced out for usage of the N word.  You're saying they shouldn't be forced out for that?  (As a corollary I'm positive that word would have been in copious use in Byrd's vocabulary).

That would be a very unusual position for a liberal today to take.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Congressman today would be forced out for usage of the N word.  You're saying they shouldn't be forced out for that?  (As a corollary I'm positive that word would have been in copious use in Byrd's vocabulary).
I'm saying that a Congressman should not be forced out if they used the N-word 9 years prior to being elected to Congress and then disavowed their association with that word, and never used that word while a member of Congress.

I believe DJT is an idiot and has no idea what he's encouraging.  Also, just as a point, the GOP platform and the diarrhea that comes from DJT are most often wholly separate entities.
I understand that you very much want this to be true, and I wish it was, too.  But it just ain't.
Well, @Sand let this one fly, but I for one would like to hear more about this GOP platform that is completely separate from Trump. It should be simple to point to legislativ action, here after two years. No?

bananafish said:
I don't think anyone should be forced out for anything that's not a crime. Censured, sure.

I'm sure there's some exception I'm not thinking of, though. 
I agree. The citizens of the district should be the only able to force a Rep out for anything less than a crime. Although it would be fine for a political party to kick someone out and the GOP should kick King out. 

Is anyone surprised who turned this thread into an argument? One would think we could all be cool here but nope. Fbgmods need to take a long hard look at the people here and decide of they want these those associating on their forum.

Is anyone surprised who turned this thread into an argument? One would think we could all be cool here but nope. Fbgmods need to take a long hard look at the people here and decide of they want these those associating on their forum.
You seem to keep coming back so that's pretty telling

11 days into the year and the most ironic post of the year already sealed up.  Good show!

Anyone looking for reasons to be hopeful- particularly sane conservatives- should take some comfort in the last 24 hours.  GOP leadership is finally at least starting to speak out against Steve King. I think they're still somewhat in denial about their constituency and about Trumpism, but baby steps in the right direction are incredibly important after more than three years of steadily going in the wrong direction. The folks in Texas also easily beat back an effort to displace a county GOP leader because he's Muslim. Obviously it's disturbing that this even came up and that 49 people voted for it, but hopefully their resounding defeat at the hands of other, saner Republicans sends a message.

Anyone looking for reasons to be hopeful- particularly sane conservatives- should take some comfort in the last 24 hours.  GOP leadership is finally at least starting to speak out against Steve King. I think they're still somewhat in denial about their constituency and about Trumpism, but baby steps in the right direction are incredibly important after more than three years of steadily going in the wrong direction. The folks in Texas also easily beat back an effort to displace a county GOP leader because he's Muslim. Obviously it's disturbing that this even came up and that 49 people voted for it, but hopefully their resounding defeat at the hands of other, saner Republicans sends a message.

Right. I mean, I get the desire to see the optimism in Fort Worth - but like you said, the issue still came up. And 49 people voted to oust him. That's just sad.

I was talking about your comparison to Franken, who was accused of committing sex crimes while in office. It just seemed like a weird comparison to make, almost like you were lamenting the fact that the current Democratic party shows no tolerance for those accused of committing sex crimes while in office.
Just to clarify, Franken was not accused of any crime. Misconduct for sure, but nothing that would be considered a crime

I believe DJT is an idiot and has no idea what he's encouraging.  Also, just as a point, the GOP platform and the diarrhea that comes from DJT are most often wholly separate entities.
I understand that you very much want this to be true, and I wish it was, too.  But it just ain't.
Well, @Sand let this one fly, but I for one would like to hear more about this GOP platform that is completely separate from Trump. It should be simple to point to legislativ action, here after two years. No?
Hey @Sand - in case you missed your chance to explain the plethora of initiatives the GOP have taken the past two years without or in spite of DJT, here's another possibility

i am glad that some rs are condemning him i just wish more would that is all i am sayin take that to the bank brohans 

Something something deeply concerned something something
I'm not sure we should be lecturing a black guy on his commitment to fighting racial oppression, especially one that killed a conservative judge's nomination a couple months ago due to African-American voter suppression efforts in his past.

That said, someone could definitely respond to Scott by pointing out that one reason Republicans like King, the NC GOP legislature, and others are able to get away with blatant racism- and the rest of the party's silence about it- is because he provides a measure of cover for them by remaining in the party no matter what they do.

Hey @Sand - in case you missed your chance to explain the plethora of initiatives the GOP have taken the past two years without or in spite of DJT, here's another possibility
Well, there's that initiative to end the shutdown by re-enacting the same bill that was passed a month ago by a 100-0 vote, even though they know the President opposes it now.   Oh, wait, never mind...that falls under the "we all think it's right but we can't vote on it because we're merely minions and would have to override his veto" category.

Well, there's that initiative to end the shutdown by re-enacting the same bill that was passed a month ago by a 100-0 vote, even though they know the President opposes it now.   Oh, wait, never mind...that falls under the "we all think it's right but we can't vote on it because we're merely minions and would have to override his veto" category.
:lol:  I think he knew when he typed the response that it was full of horse hockey. Just like when certain people say they vote against child molesters, but they don't. They know what the truth is, they just don't share it here.

:lol:  I think he knew when he typed the response that it was full of horse hockey. Just like when certain people say they vote against child molesters, but they don't. They know what the truth is, they just don't share it here.
The good news is that the official Senate photographer is not part of the shutdown. He had the chance to take a group picture of the GOP Senators after the new members were sworn in; GOP Senate Majority

Sen. Tim Scott says Steve King's remarks "damage not only the Republican Party ... but also our nation as a whole. Some in our party wonder why Republicans are constantly accused of racism — it is because of our silence when things like this are said."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/01/11/tim-scott-republicans-can-no-longer-be-silent-bigotry/?utm_term=.37df3103b31a
Had Trump tweeted anyhting about him being a good person yet?  Maybe that angry dems are trying to ruin a good person's life?

Kyle Griffin‏ @kylegriffin1 12m12 minutes ago

Inbox: Democratic Rep. Bobby Rush to introduce resolution to formally censure Rep. Steve King.

"This Congress will not turn a blind eye to his repugnant and racist behavior. Anything short of censure would be shallow."

Wikipedia:

The House of Representatives is expressly authorized to censure within the United States Constitution (Article I, Section 5, clause 2).[23] In the House of Representatives, censure is essentially a form of public humiliation carried out on the House floor.[24] As the Speaker of the House reads out a resolution rebuking a member for a specified misconduct, that member must stand in the House well and listen to it.[25][26] This process has been described as a morality play in miniature.[27]
I didn't realize he'd have to stand there and take it!

Judicial reform was definately not a Trump issue. But he signed the bill. 

The turtle popped out of his shell. Let's see if he actually takes any action.

Mike DeBonis‏Verified account @mikedebonis

FollowFollow @mikedebonis

More

NEW: @senatemajldr MITCH McCONNELL unloads on @SteveKingIA, becoming most powerful Republican to denounce him for racial comments. "There is no place in the Republican Party, the Congress or the country for an ideology of racial supremacy of any kind.”
Aaaaannnnd..............? Although I guess as the Senate Majority Leader not much he can do. He could call for a resignation at least. 

Judicial reform was definately not a Trump issue. But he signed the bill. 
Was it a GOP issue? Did the GOP really say "we want people to have shorter sentences"

I know they voted for it because it happened but I can't remember a campaign slogan about that

This guy was the chairman of the subcommittee on the Constitution and civil justice. Think about that.  

Not a fan of Kevin McCarthy but this was a good move. 

Conservative websites, however, are going crazy, attacking McCarthy as a RINO and member of the Deep State. 

Donald Trump has refused to condemn King, claiming he doesn’t know anything about. Trump has, in the past said that King’s ideas are closer to his own than any Republican he can think of. 

Trump’s racist comments, IMO, are just as bad as King’s. Look at his recent tweet about Warren for instance. Yet for him, Republicans are silent. 

Well he did go to that ultra liberal bastion Cal State Bakersfield.
You know what surprised me about Bakersfield? My personal trainer is a former high school football coach, so as a Christmas gift I got him a book called “High school football in California.” It lists all the great teams in California history, and then it gives a top 10 of the greatest high schools for football over the last 100 years. Concord De La Salle was #3, Long Beach Poly was #2; neither of those was a surprise. #1 was Bakersfield High School. I had no idea they were that dominant. 

You know what surprised me about Bakersfield? My personal trainer is a former high school football coach, so as a Christmas gift I got him a book called “High school football in California.” It lists all the great teams in California history, and then it gives a top 10 of the greatest high schools for football over the last 100 years. Concord De La Salle was #3, Long Beach Poly was #2; neither of those was a surprise. #1 was Bakersfield High School. I had no idea they were that dominant. 
what about Taft?

At one point it was the largest HS in California (it used to be Kern Union HS).  Back in the 1950s they would play USC’s freshman team and beat them.  

Users who are viewing this thread