What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Congressman Steve King is a White Nationalist - UPDATE Good News for America - Steve King Loses (3 Viewers)

The turtle popped out of his shell. Let's see if he actually takes any action.

Mike DeBonis‏Verified account @mikedebonis

FollowFollow @mikedebonis

More

NEW: @senatemajldr MITCH McCONNELL unloads on @SteveKingIA, becoming most powerful Republican to denounce him for racial comments. "There is no place in the Republican Party, the Congress or the country for an ideology of racial supremacy of any kind.”
Yes there is.  Steve King is in it. 

As heard on Conservative Echo Chamber Radio this morning: Steve King is a good guy and a great conservative and his problem is that he decided to give an interview to the New York Slimes.  No true conservatives should give interviews to the slimes or the Washignton Compost going forward cuz they are bad people looking to tear down republicans any chance they get.  What King said and what he stands for are inconsequential to the fact that he's a staunch conservative and a good Trump supporter.

I'm excited for the soon to emerge talking point of how Trump and the republicans are way less racist than the Dems because when was the last time the Dems publicly denounced one of their own as being racist

Rep King's statement on this:

One of my quotes in a New York Times story has been completely mischaracterized. Here’s the context I believe accurately reflects my statement.

In a 56 minute interview, we discussed the changing use of language in political discourse. We discussed the worn out label “racist” and my observation that other slanderous labels have been increasingly assigned to Conservatives by the Left, who injected into our current political dialog such terms as Nazi, Fascist, “ White Nationalist, White Supremacist,— Western Civilization, how did THAT language become offensive? Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?”…just to watch Western Civilization become a derogatory term in political discourse today. Clearly, I was only referencing Western Civilization classes. No one ever sat in a class listening to the merits of white nationalism and white supremacy.

When I used the word “THAT” it was in reference ONLY to Western Civilization and NOT to any previously stated evil ideology ALL of which I have denounced.

My record as a vocal advocate for Western Civilization is nearly as full as my record in defense of Freedom of Speech.

Seems a bit late, but I'd have to listen to the actual interview to see if he was misquoted or not.  Also, a politician's main skill is wordsmithing.  Even if the above is true big fail for Steve.

Seems a bit late, but I'd have to listen to the actual interview to see if he was misquoted or not.  Also, a politician's main skill is wordsmithing.  Even if the above is true big fail for Steve.
Also: nowhere in that statement (his second statement, by the way, he released one on the 10th of January) does he say he was misquoted. 

Ummm if he was correct in how it was quoted (he isn't)...that might make a good excuse.  If the rest of his overall body of work didn't also point to racism and white nationalism (it does).

dutch said:
As heard on Conservative Echo Chamber Radio this morning: Steve King is a good guy and a great conservative and his problem is that he decided to give an interview to the New York Slimes.  No true conservatives should give interviews to the slimes or the Washignton Compost going forward cuz they are bad people looking to tear down republicans any chance they get.  What King said and what he stands for are inconsequential to the fact that he's a staunch conservative and a good Trump supporter.
If he invited me to a public lynching, I would be in the front row.

I think the loonies bleed over from the Dakotas. Good thing Minnesota has larger cities and suburbs to offset the crazies, otherwise it would be a red-ish state as well. 
Unfortunately Minnesota's overwhelming whiteness has it trending away from the Dems and towards swing state status in the era of GOP white nationalism.  Clinton won by less than 2%. It's probably the only Clinton-won state that's in play to be a Trump pickup in 2020.

Unfortunately Minnesota's overwhelming whiteness has it trending away from the Dems and towards swing state status in the era of GOP white nationalism.  Clinton won by less than 2%. It's probably the only Clinton-won state that's in play to be a Trump pickup in 2020.
MN re-elected Klobuchar by 24 points. They elected a Dem governor by 12 points. Dems picked up 18 seats in house in 2018. They haven't voted for a republican for president since 1972.

It is a pretty damn safe Dem for president state

Last edited by a moderator:
He still gets reelected. What does it say about the people in his state?
What does it say about the GOP that they have said nothing for the last sixteen years? This is a Congressman starting his ninth term.

With control of both houses, the Republicans never thought to condemn or censure King, even with many examples to choose from. King said to his colleagues yesterdays: "You know me." Indeed.

This cost the GOP nothing. With the Democrats in control of the House, there was no way any of them could vote against it - the optics would be terrible. But they don't need King's vote for anything, and his influence is limited. In 2020 they'll primary him out.

I think a lot of states are like this. The urban/rural divide is stark and one of the most defining attributes of our politics. 
We have a handful of states now where the state's dominant metro area approaches or exceeds half the state's population. Minnesota is certainly one and one which has leaned Democratic over the years, Illinois another (Chicago metro accounts for almost 75% of the state's population). But there's a couple of new players of that game on the board and they bode ill for the pubbies. Colorado, Arizona and even Georgia are formerly pretty red states but now are getting really competitive because of the continued growth in their primary cities. Heck, you can almost chuck Colorado in the blue column already.

So, NW Iowa is where the racists went?
They're all over the place but there don't seem to be as many on the other side of the spectrum there.  The eastern half of the state has more large cities and those cities are more liberal.  Western Iowa is very rural and more like Nebraska than anything else.  There's a lot of rural area in Iowa and the majority of rural people are conservative.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're all over the place but there don't seem to be as many on the other side of the spectrum there.  The eastern half of the state has more large cities and those cities are more liberal.  Western Iowa is very rural and more like Nebraska than anything else.  There's a lot of rural area in Iowa and the majority of rural people are conservative.
Where is the part where there's nothing halfway about the Iowa way to treat you?
You know...the chip-on-the-shoulder attitude?

Conservative?

I thought we were talking racists or people who enable them

MN re-elected Klobuchar by 24 points. They elected a Dem governor by 12 points. Dems picked up 18 seats in house in 2018. They haven't voted for a republican for president since 1972.

It is a pretty damn safe Dem for president state
I know, but I think my concerns about them being vulnerable to Trump/Trumpism are legitimate.  He only lost by 1.5% there and it has a lot in common with Wisconsin and Michigan, two states that went red in 2016 after two decades of being reliably blue.

Obviously I hope all three of them (along with Pennsylvania) move back to the left once Clinton is out of the picture and they all started showing signs of this in 2018. But if things move the other way in that region instead Minnesota is clearly the next domino to fall.

Conservative?

I thought we were talking racists or people who enable them
Almost every conservative person I know is a little on the racist side or blatantly racist.  The most blatant racist people I know live in rural areas, are poorly educated, love guns and chewing tobacco.  I know this is is extremely stereotypical but there's a reason why stereotypes exist in the first place.  I'm also not saying this as a blanket statement as it's more anecdotal.

Almost every conservative person I know is a little on the racist side or blatantly racist.  The most blatant racist people I know live in rural areas, are poorly educated, love guns and chewing tobacco.  I know this is is extremely stereotypical but there's a reason why stereotypes exist in the first place.  I'm also not saying this as a blanket statement as it's more anecdotal.
Don't let jon ever see this post. We'll never hear the end of it ;)  

I know, but I think my concerns about them being vulnerable to Trump/Trumpism are legitimate.  He only lost by 1.5% there and it has a lot in common with Wisconsin and Michigan, two states that went red in 2016 after two decades of being reliably blue.

Obviously I hope all three of them (along with Pennsylvania) move back to the left once Clinton is out of the picture and they all started showing signs of this in 2018. But if things move the other way in that region instead Minnesota is clearly the next domino to fall.
Yes to all this. The only thing I would add is that Dem turnout carries the day in all of those Rust Belt/Lakes states that went red last time. Those states are still the Dems' to lose but lose them all, they can.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Two Congressmen met with Chuck Johnson.

- I can't even understand why congressmen would want to meet with this guy, what could he possibly offer?
Johnson was also the guest of GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz at last year's State of the Union.

Also there's this little ditty today: Hoyer confirms that a GOP lawmaker today yelled at California Democrat Tony Cardenas, "Go back to Puerto Rico!"

This is not a "Steve King" problem, and anyone who lets the GOP get away with characterizing it as such making things worse.

Users who are viewing this thread