What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Could the best college team beat a CFL team? (1 Viewer)

Could the best college team beat a CFL team?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It doesn't matter what Vince Young could do to a CFL defense, EVERY CFL quarterback could do the same to any college defense.

The people who haven't watched both a CFL and an NCAA game have no business being in this thread but what can be expected from arrogant blowhards like bagger and Capella.
:eek:
The CFL quarterbacks have been reading defences for 3-10 years more than Young. That's not a crazy statement at all.

This poll is a joke. How in the world did 44 people vote no? Last year's USC team would have beaten a CFL team by 50.

Seriously, the people that voted no, have you ever watched a CFL game before? I've watched many....as a joke. It's not football, it's a bunch of doofuses running around running around with a pigskin. We often gather as friends to watch the games constant fumbles and floaters and laugh, because the poor play is so much fun to watch. You get those fumbles that bounce around 15 times before someone gets a clean scoop, you get punters trying to fake a punt on their own and then when they realize they can't they just spike the ball, you get those floaters that hang up in the air so long 8 guys are under it by the time it finally comes down hail marry style....on 1st and 10 with 9 minutes left in the first quarter. I don't mean to sound harsh but I was just so astonished to actually see a bunch of "no" votes here.

Seriously, watch a couple games. There is a fumble about every 3 plays, and the defenses break down so hard it's almost worse than the ducks that QBs often throw that look like they're playing in a hurricane. I remember one defensive play in particular where a guy ran a quick slant from the slot and took it 60 yards straight up the middle for a touchdown without a single defender ever even appearing on the screen, and they didn't even blitz on the play. No defenders on screen, that means no one within even 15 yards, where were they????

Usually, if it's not the defense breaking down it's the offense. QBs often have balls get away from them that go floating into the air as if he were throwing into some combination of a hurricane and a blizzard.

We actually had a chat with some sports betting high rollers in Vegas about how impossible it is to set odds for the CFL games, because there's no way to predict how those 23 fumbles that occur every game will bounce.

There's your occasional hidden gem, a la Doug Flutie. But for the most part the teams are so far from NFL players that a group of future NFLers like USC would demolish them.

I would go much further than to say the best college team could beat a CFL team...that one's easy. I would say every ranked collegiate team could beat a CFL team.
You are such an arrogant #####. I've had seasons tix to 2 CFL teams over the past 3 years while being an avid NFL and NCAA fan. I watch an average of 2 NCAA games each Saturday and I can tell you that you Yankees who think your game is so superior have a lot to learn.First of all, last season CFL teams averaged 22 fumbles per SEASON. Each team plays 18 games / season that's 1.2 fumbles/ game/ team. That means in a bad game you might see up to 3 fumbles total.

Your take about floating passes is way off base too. Last year CFL QB's averaged a completion % of 62.5%. The top 25 nfl QB’s who played in at lest 12 games averaged 59.2% Which means you are going to see a higher % of complete passes in a CFL game than in an NFL game, let alone college.

Third, I think everyone underestimates the importance of the run in the CFL. Consider this:

All time rushing leaders:

Emmitt Smith - 18,355

Walter Payton - 16,726

Mike Pringle - 16425

Jim Brown - 12,312

Here's the bottom line...

MARKETING!!!

The USA does a supreme job of marketing it's game which creates the opinion that even the NCAA is better than the CFL or NFLE.

The majority of NCAA div 1 athletes will not play pro football in any league.

The CFL wins hands down.

FreeBaGeL, do your homework before you start lipping off like you know what you are talking about. Your kind of arrogance is what gives Americans a bad image all over the world.
Statements like "you yankees" clearly indicate to me that you're watching games with national bias. Despite your arrogant insinuations as to the opposite, I have no motives to look at this "as an American" and put down another nation's sport just because they're another nation. I can tell you simply put after watching many CFL games that it's just not very good football. I don't say this as an American, I say it as a football fan. I'm sorry, but a top college football program would run circles around several of those CFL teams.
Right...because so far bagger hasn't been biased. The guy has never watched a CFL game.
Forgive my ignorance, but what does bagger have to do with what you quoted?

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't matter what Vince Young could do to a CFL defense, EVERY CFL quarterback could do the same to any college defense.

The people who haven't watched both a CFL and an NCAA game have no business being in this thread but what can be expected from arrogant blowhards like bagger and Capella.
:eek:
The CFL quarterbacks have been reading defences for 3-10 years more than Young. That's not a crazy statement at all.
From what I've seen of CFL defenses, that 3-10 years will not help them much.

This poll is a joke. How in the world did 44 people vote no? Last year's USC team would have beaten a CFL team by 50.

Seriously, the people that voted no, have you ever watched a CFL game before? I've watched many....as a joke. It's not football, it's a bunch of doofuses running around running around with a pigskin. We often gather as friends to watch the games constant fumbles and floaters and laugh, because the poor play is so much fun to watch. You get those fumbles that bounce around 15 times before someone gets a clean scoop, you get punters trying to fake a punt on their own and then when they realize they can't they just spike the ball, you get those floaters that hang up in the air so long 8 guys are under it by the time it finally comes down hail marry style....on 1st and 10 with 9 minutes left in the first quarter. I don't mean to sound harsh but I was just so astonished to actually see a bunch of "no" votes here.

Seriously, watch a couple games. There is a fumble about every 3 plays, and the defenses break down so hard it's almost worse than the ducks that QBs often throw that look like they're playing in a hurricane. I remember one defensive play in particular where a guy ran a quick slant from the slot and took it 60 yards straight up the middle for a touchdown without a single defender ever even appearing on the screen, and they didn't even blitz on the play. No defenders on screen, that means no one within even 15 yards, where were they????

Usually, if it's not the defense breaking down it's the offense. QBs often have balls get away from them that go floating into the air as if he were throwing into some combination of a hurricane and a blizzard.

We actually had a chat with some sports betting high rollers in Vegas about how impossible it is to set odds for the CFL games, because there's no way to predict how those 23 fumbles that occur every game will bounce.

There's your occasional hidden gem, a la Doug Flutie. But for the most part the teams are so far from NFL players that a group of future NFLers like USC would demolish them.

I would go much further than to say the best college team could beat a CFL team...that one's easy. I would say every ranked collegiate team could beat a CFL team.
You are such an arrogant #####. I've had seasons tix to 2 CFL teams over the past 3 years while being an avid NFL and NCAA fan. I watch an average of 2 NCAA games each Saturday and I can tell you that you Yankees who think your game is so superior have a lot to learn.First of all, last season CFL teams averaged 22 fumbles per SEASON. Each team plays 18 games / season that's 1.2 fumbles/ game/ team. That means in a bad game you might see up to 3 fumbles total.

Your take about floating passes is way off base too. Last year CFL QB's averaged a completion % of 62.5%. The top 25 nfl QB’s who played in at lest 12 games averaged 59.2% Which means you are going to see a higher % of complete passes in a CFL game than in an NFL game, let alone college.

Third, I think everyone underestimates the importance of the run in the CFL. Consider this:

Emmitt Smith - 18,355

Walter Payton - 16,726

Mike Pringle - 16425

Jim Brown - 12,312

MARKETING!!!

The USA does a supreme job of marketing it's game which creates the opinion that even the NCAA is better than the CFL or NFLE.

The CFL wins hands down.

FreeBaGeL, do your homework before you start lipping off like you know what you are talking about. Your kind of arrogance is what gives Americans a bad image all over the world.
Statements like "you yankees" clearly indicate to me that you're watching games with national bias. Despite your arrogant insinuations as to the opposite, I have no motives to look at this "as an American" and put down another nation's sport just because they're another nation. I can tell you simply put after watching many CFL games that it's just not very good football. I don't say this as an American, I say it as a football fan. I'm sorry, but a top college football program would run circles around several of those CFL teams.
Right...because so far bagger hasn't been biased. The guy has never watched a CFL game.
You were talking about J-Rock's bias but bagger just keeps on saying that a few teams could beat a CFL team while he hasn't seen a CFL game.

Emmitt Smith - 18,355

Walter Payton - 16,726

Mike Pringle - 16425

Jim Brown - 12,312

MARKETING!!!

The CFL wins hands down.

You were talking about J-Rock's bias but bagger just keeps on saying that a few teams could beat a CFL team while he hasn't seen a CFL game.
I could care less, I wasn't talking to him nor about him. I was responding to J-Rock, I've never even mentioned Bagger.

Emmitt Smith - 18,355

Walter Payton - 16,726

Mike Pringle - 16425

Jim Brown - 12,312

MARKETING!!!

The CFL wins hands down.

I could care less, I wasn't talking to him nor about him. I was responding to J-Rock, I've never even mentioned Bagger.
Yea yea me too.

This poll is a joke.  How in the world did 44 people vote no?  Last year's USC team would have beaten a CFL team by 50.

Seriously, the people that voted no, have you ever watched a CFL game before?  I've watched many....as a joke.  It's not football, it's a bunch of doofuses running around running around with a pigskin.  We often gather as friends to watch the games constant fumbles and floaters and laugh, because the poor play is so much fun to watch.  You get those fumbles that bounce around 15 times before someone gets a clean scoop, you get punters trying to fake a punt on their own and then when they realize they can't they just spike the ball, you get those floaters that hang up in the air so long 8 guys are under it by the time it finally comes down hail marry style....on 1st and 10 with 9 minutes left in the first quarter.  I don't mean to sound harsh but I was just so astonished to actually see a bunch of "no" votes here.

Seriously, watch a couple games.  There is a fumble about every 3 plays, and the defenses break down so hard it's almost worse than the ducks that QBs often throw that look like they're playing in a hurricane.  I remember one defensive play in particular where a guy ran a quick slant from the slot and took it 60 yards straight up the middle for a touchdown without a single defender ever even appearing on the screen, and they didn't even blitz on the play.  No defenders on screen, that means no one within even 15 yards, where were they????

Usually, if it's not the defense breaking down it's the offense.  QBs often have balls get away from them that go floating into the air as if he were throwing into some combination of a hurricane and a blizzard.

There's your occasional hidden gem, a la Doug Flutie.  But for the most part the teams are so far from NFL players that a group of future NFLers like USC would demolish them.

I would go much further than to say the best college team could beat a CFL team...that one's easy.  I would say every ranked collegiate team could beat a CFL team.

Emmitt Smith - 18,355

Walter Payton - 16,726

Mike Pringle - 16425

Jim Brown - 12,312

MARKETING!!!

The CFL wins hands down.

Yea yea me too.
Just for the record...I have missed a lot of the responses so thought I'd clear up a potential mis understanding in what I said.

I'm a season Tix holder for the CFL because I live in Canada and have no choice. If I'm going to see live football CFL is my only option. Having said that I make the trip to Quest field at least once per year to see "real Football"

I'm not making a case that the canadian game is as good or even near as good as the american game. I do believe that over all the talent in the CFL is better than NCAA.

All I was trying to accomplish in my original post was to correct that arrogant goof who said there are 23 fumbles/ game and than all the passes are lame ducks.

It's not a canada vs america thing at all.

FreeBaGeL approached his post with a superiority complex and made himself look foolish. The bottom line is your opinion and professed knowledge of the CFL is wrong.

The NFL is clearly the best football in the world.

NCAA is more entertaining and better marketed than the CFL

But a CFL team wins vs an NCAA team period.

Emmitt Smith - 18,355

Walter Payton - 16,726

Mike Pringle - 16425

Jim Brown - 12,312

MARKETING!!!

The CFL wins hands down.

Yea yea me too.
Just for the record...I have missed a lot of the responses so thought I'd clear up a potential mis understanding in what I said.

I'm a season Tix holder for the CFL because I live in Canada and have no choice. If I'm going to see live football CFL is my only option. Having said that I make the trip to Quest field at least once per year to see "real Football"

I'm not making a case that the canadian game is as good or even near as good as the american game. I do believe that over all the talent in the CFL is better than NCAA.

All I was trying to accomplish in my original post was to correct that arrogant goof who said there are 23 fumbles/ game and than all the passes are lame ducks.

FreeBaGeL approached his post with a superiority complex and made himself look foolish. The bottom line is your opinion and professed knowledge of the CFL is wrong.

The NFL is clearly the best football in the world.

NCAA is more entertaining and better marketed than the CFL

But a CFL team wins vs an NCAA team period.
I agree with everything you said. Find one post where I say the CFL is better than the NFL....read before posting.

Just a side note on this topic. NCAA supporters kepp mentioning names like Bush and Young. These are 2 very special players who don't come along very often. You can't just pick the top college athletes of the past decade and say that NCAA wins because of the superior talent of 1-2 guys. There have been phenominal talents in the CFL too at given points in time.

There are now 8 CFL teams.

Here is a list of the top 8 BCS teams of last year:

1 Southern California

2 Texas

3 Penn State

4 Ohio State

5 Oregon

6 Notre Dame

7 Georgia

8 Miami (Fla.)

How many dominant players are there here who are capable of taking over a game?
On average a division one, D1, program has 1-2 players that grade out with NFL talent. That includes all teams listed in D1. NFL talent defined as a player that is good enough to get an invite to the combine; get drafted and play on Sundays. The playing ability of those 1-2 players against their immediate peers (team mates) and peers (other D1 players) is evident. There is a W-I-D-E gap between the two groups and that is not just reserved for the suggested difference makers or game breakers. If you ever get a chance, go watch a college team practice. Within a few plays it is very easy to spot the better players, if you know what you are looking for with each snap. It is fairly clear in a game also. It goes without saying that the teams you listed, which are football factories, have many more players than 1-2 with NFL talent. Including underclassmen and red-shirts a Miami, FSU, Texas, Ohio State or USC probably has 1-3 kids per class with that type of talent. Let's just say there are 2 per class and give each program 10 kids with NFL caliber ability. We nearly have a starting line-up of talent in numbers but obviously I am not suggesting this mirror positions. We already have 10 kids, though, that could in theory play for an NFL team.

Trust that that out of that group 1-3 will exhibit above average to superior skill at their position. Now, we have 10 players that can play on Sundays and anywhere from 1-3 that will be very good to great. What about the majority of all the other players in D1?

Well, those guys are playing in the NFLE; CFL; AFL or in semi-pro leagues scattered around North America. They did not grade nor did the rate an invite to the Combine. They did not get a camp invite or FA contract. They did not have the talent to go from Saturday to Sunday.

The only edge the CFL team is going to have is their physical maturity and an advantage if a Candian field and rules are used. Even the physical maturity might not be that large of a factor, given that the Texas and Notre Dame's of the world won't even look at an offensive lineman unless he is on the other side of 300 pounds and a freakish all around athlete. I am not sure the speed the CLF defensive or offensive lineman possess would necessarily be enough to negate that size difference over the course of an entire game. Eventually, the size or lack thereof would make a difference.

That physical maturity difference will not be a factor once you cross into skill position players. You can either play WR or RB or you cannot. Being a couple years older is not going to make that much of a difference in how the player responds in the game. For an example, look at Fitzgerald's age and performance in college and the NFL. He was very young by NFL standards and, well, he seems to be doing ok.

QB could be debated but how much better are the CB and S in the CLF versus the same players a Young saw in practice every day? Dig up the players Texas has had on the side of the ball the last few years. How much better are the CFL defensive lineman than the same positional players that Leinart practiced against? Check out what USC put into the draft on defense recently. What is the difference between the defensive backfield S. Holmes ran against at OSU versus what he might see in this match-up? OSU pumping out some decent defenders too.

The majority of the players these guys faced in practice are better than the competition the CFL team would provide, opinion. Who they faced on any given Saturday, though, is up for debate, as the Kansas States and Armies of the world are not stocked with top prospects.

It would be close and, if this game is played 10 times, I think the college team ends up winning 6/7 times. The difference in talent between the 10 players with NFL talent and 1-3 players with good to great skills would eventually win out. Essentially, they would be playing against the same skill level they already face on Saturdays and excel against. A few years of physical growth or playing experience would not be enough to negate the difference in talent each time out.

The games would most likely be close but I think the college program wins at or around 65% of the time.
:goodposting: I think if you simply look at the Mia and USC examples that have already been posted this is clearly defined. We were not asked to take average NCAA teams, we were asked to that the very BEST. I think that the traditional NFL "factories" while in their respective primes.... winning and making BCS game.... can handle CFL teams at a good % of the time.

YOU'RE the one that started that whole thing with your insinuation that I only thought Canadian football was bad because I'm some arrogant American. I could be Asian, I could be Icelandish, heck I could be Canadian, that doesn't change the fact that the game just isn't very good. I'm sorry, that's just the way it is.Likewise, it could be the CFL, it could be NFL Europe, it could be NFL Mars, it could have been the XFL. Either way, the game I was watching just wasn't impressive, I have no bias against the league other than what I have seen of it, which IMHO opinion was enough to make a fair judgement of it.
FreeBaGeL approached his post with a superiority complex and made himself look foolish.
What superiority complex? All I said is the game is a joke to watch. I'm not a college football player, I don't think I, or the game I play is any better than it because I don't play it. Obviously you disagree, fair enough, but you are the first person I've ever talked to that held this opinion. I'm sure you've seen more of it than I have so maybe I just happened to catch the worst ~15 games in CFL history, but from what I saw even a good college team would've beaten those teams, much less the best college team.
I agree with everything you said. Find one post where I say the CFL is better than the NFL....read before posting.
What the....? Seriously man, this is the second time you've pulled something clear out of thin air and now here you are telling me to read before posting? When did anyone ever say you said the CFL is better than the NFL?I don't know what the deal is with you two, but now you're following me around quoting me in other threads. I'm sorry that from what I've seen of the league I think an NCAA could beat them, and I'm sorry that I think they'd beat them quite handily. But that's just the way it is from what I've seen, and most who have seen both CFL and NCAA games would agree.

Just a side note on this topic. NCAA supporters kepp mentioning names like Bush and Young. These are 2 very special players who don't come along very often. You can't just pick the top college athletes of the past decade and say that NCAA wins because of the superior talent of 1-2 guys. There have been phenominal talents in the CFL too at given points in time.

There are now 8 CFL teams.

Here is a list of the top 8 BCS teams of last year:

1 Southern California

2 Texas

3 Penn State

4 Ohio State

5 Oregon

6 Notre Dame

7 Georgia

8 Miami (Fla.)

How many dominant players are there here who are capable of taking over a game?
On average a division one, D1, program has 1-2 players that grade out with NFL talent. That includes all teams listed in D1. NFL talent defined as a player that is good enough to get an invite to the combine; get drafted and play on Sundays. The playing ability of those 1-2 players against their immediate peers (team mates) and peers (other D1 players) is evident. There is a W-I-D-E gap between the two groups and that is not just reserved for the suggested difference makers or game breakers. If you ever get a chance, go watch a college team practice. Within a few plays it is very easy to spot the better players, if you know what you are looking for with each snap. It is fairly clear in a game also. It goes without saying that the teams you listed, which are football factories, have many more players than 1-2 with NFL talent. Including underclassmen and red-shirts a Miami, FSU, Texas, Ohio State or USC probably has 1-3 kids per class with that type of talent. Let's just say there are 2 per class and give each program 10 kids with NFL caliber ability. We nearly have a starting line-up of talent in numbers but obviously I am not suggesting this mirror positions. We already have 10 kids, though, that could in theory play for an NFL team.

Trust that that out of that group 1-3 will exhibit above average to superior skill at their position. Now, we have 10 players that can play on Sundays and anywhere from 1-3 that will be very good to great. What about the majority of all the other players in D1?

Well, those guys are playing in the NFLE; CFL; AFL or in semi-pro leagues scattered around North America. They did not grade nor did the rate an invite to the Combine. They did not get a camp invite or FA contract. They did not have the talent to go from Saturday to Sunday.

The only edge the CFL team is going to have is their physical maturity and an advantage if a Candian field and rules are used. Even the physical maturity might not be that large of a factor, given that the Texas and Notre Dame's of the world won't even look at an offensive lineman unless he is on the other side of 300 pounds and a freakish all around athlete. I am not sure the speed the CLF defensive or offensive lineman possess would necessarily be enough to negate that size difference over the course of an entire game. Eventually, the size or lack thereof would make a difference.

That physical maturity difference will not be a factor once you cross into skill position players. You can either play WR or RB or you cannot. Being a couple years older is not going to make that much of a difference in how the player responds in the game. For an example, look at Fitzgerald's age and performance in college and the NFL. He was very young by NFL standards and, well, he seems to be doing ok.

QB could be debated but how much better are the CB and S in the CLF versus the same players a Young saw in practice every day? Dig up the players Texas has had on the side of the ball the last few years. How much better are the CFL defensive lineman than the same positional players that Leinart practiced against? Check out what USC put into the draft on defense recently. What is the difference between the defensive backfield S. Holmes ran against at OSU versus what he might see in this match-up? OSU pumping out some decent defenders too.

The majority of the players these guys faced in practice are better than the competition the CFL team would provide, opinion. Who they faced on any given Saturday, though, is up for debate, as the Kansas States and Armies of the world are not stocked with top prospects.

It would be close and, if this game is played 10 times, I think the college team ends up winning 6/7 times. The difference in talent between the 10 players with NFL talent and 1-3 players with good to great skills would eventually win out. Essentially, they would be playing against the same skill level they already face on Saturdays and excel against. A few years of physical growth or playing experience would not be enough to negate the difference in talent each time out.

The games would most likely be close but I think the college program wins at or around 65% of the time.
:goodposting: I think if you simply look at the Mia and USC examples that have already been posted this is clearly defined. We were not asked to take average NCAA teams, we were asked to that the very BEST. I think that the traditional NFL "factories" while in their respective primes.... winning and making BCS game.... can handle CFL teams at a good % of the time.

no way! less than half the players on the twon teams mentioned above will turn pro, where as all the c.f.lers were ex- college players who couldnt make the n.f.l but ALL turned pro.

YOU'RE the one that started that whole thing with your insinuation that I only thought Canadian football was bad because I'm some arrogant American. I could be Asian, I could be Icelandish, heck I could be Canadian, that doesn't change the fact that the game just isn't very good. I'm sorry, that's just the way it is.Likewise, it could be the CFL, it could be NFL Europe, it could be NFL Mars, it could have been the XFL. Either way, the game I was watching just wasn't impressive, I have no bias against the league other than what I have seen of it, which IMHO opinion was enough to make a fair judgement of it.

FreeBaGeL approached his post with a superiority complex and made himself look foolish.
What superiority complex? All I said is the game is a joke to watch. I'm not a college football player, I don't think I, or the game I play is any better than it because I don't play it. Obviously you disagree, fair enough, but you are the first person I've ever talked to that held this opinion. I'm sure you've seen more of it than I have so maybe I just happened to catch the worst ~15 games in CFL history, but from what I saw even a good college team would've beaten those teams, much less the best college team.
What the....? Seriously man, this is the second time you've pulled something clear out of thin air and now here you are telling me to read before posting? When did anyone ever say you said the CFL is better than the NFL?I don't know what the deal is with you two, but now you're following me around quoting me in other threads. I'm sorry that from what I've seen of the league I think an NCAA could beat them, and I'm sorry that I think they'd beat them quite handily. But that's just the way it is from what I've seen, and most who have seen both CFL and NCAA games would agree.
I quoted J-Rock...not you. I was in agreement with J-Rock...not you.

I was in agreement with J-Rock...not you.
Really? No kidding. That part was pretty obvious.But then you said "find one post where I said the CFL was better than the NFL....read before posting."

So you mean to tell me that that was directed at J-Rock as well. You were agreeing with him, and then telling him "read before posting"? If so, that still doesn't make sense, because he never said anything along the lines of you thinking the NFL was better than the CFL either.

In short....what the heck are you talking about?

I was in agreement with J-Rock...not you.
Really? No kidding. That part was pretty obvious.But then you said "find one post where I said the CFL was better than the NFL....read before posting."

So you mean to tell me that that was directed at J-Rock as well. You were agreeing with him, and then telling him "read before posting"? If so, that still doesn't make sense, because he never said anything along the lines of you thinking the NFL was better than the CFL either.

In short....what the heck are you talking about?
He quoted me so I thought he was answering to me...that's why I told him to learn to read because I was in agreement with everything he said.

The CFL still has to have a majority of the players be from Canada. Those supporting the CFL talk about the NCAA team having 5-10 top players that would make the NFL but what about the rest? The fact that you think the CFL teams would have better depth than the NCAA team is laughable to me. Those that talk about a number of CFL players being from top NCAA programs, those are the top CFL players and they couldnt make the NFL. The top players from the top NCAA programs are likely to be starters in the NFL and potentially Pro Bowlers.

The NCAA wins hands down.

The CFL still has to have a majority of the players be from Canada. Those supporting the CFL talk about the NCAA team having 5-10 top players that would make the NFL but what about the rest? The fact that you think the CFL teams would have better depth than the NCAA team is laughable to me. Those that talk about a number of CFL players being from top NCAA programs, those are the top CFL players and they couldnt make the NFL. The top players from the top NCAA programs are likely to be starters in the NFL and potentially Pro Bowlers.

Yes but quite a few players go live in Canada, get their canadian nationality and count as canadian players. Don't forget that they have more experience and that most of them played in the NCAA too.

I chose 1 team for the sole purpose of trying to figure out the amount of guys that came from American colleges and play on a given CFL team. I looked at the Edmonton Eskimos 2005 regular season roster. I counted 57 guys on this roster from American colleges. And not just small colleges. Here are some of the colleges that jumped out at me from just glancing down the list. Florida State, Texas A & M, Nebraska, Miami, Texas Tech, Alabama, Michigan, Georgia Tech, Syracuse are some of the colleges I picked out. I think many of you underestimate who is actually playing in the CFL.

I chose 1 team for the sole purpose of trying to figure out the amount of guys that came from American colleges and play on a given CFL team. I looked at the Edmonton Eskimos 2005 regular season roster. I counted 57 guys on this roster from American colleges. And not just small colleges. Here are some of the colleges that jumped out at me from just glancing down the list. Florida State, Texas A & M, Nebraska, Miami, Texas Tech, Alabama, Michigan, Georgia Tech, Syracuse are some of the colleges I picked out. I think many of you underestimate who is actually playing in the CFL.
:goodposting: I don't think a lot of people realize the players who are actually playing on the teams. With that being said, the poll is in regards to the TOP College team beating a CFL team.

Texas and USC were AWESOME college teams this year. Could the average College team beat a CFL team...no chance in hell, but Texas and USC woudl have a really close game, as many of the players are NFL groomed.

Any response to this from those who think the CFL is filled with Canadian sluggish players?

I chose 1 team for the sole purpose of trying to figure out the amount of guys that came from American colleges and play on a given CFL team.  I looked at the Edmonton Eskimos 2005 regular season roster. I counted 57 guys on this roster from American colleges.  And not just small colleges.  Here are some of the colleges that jumped out at me from just glancing down the list.  Florida State, Texas A & M, Nebraska, Miami, Texas Tech, Alabama, Michigan, Georgia Tech, Syracuse are some of the colleges I picked out.  I think many of you underestimate who is actually playing in the CFL.
Any response to this from those who think the CFL is filled with Canadian sluggish players?
All of the good players fro, those teams go to the NFL.

I chose 1 team for the sole purpose of trying to figure out the amount of guys that came from American colleges and play on a given CFL team.  I looked at the Edmonton Eskimos 2005 regular season roster. I counted 57 guys on this roster from American colleges.  And not just small colleges.  Here are some of the colleges that jumped out at me from just glancing down the list.  Florida State, Texas A & M, Nebraska, Miami, Texas Tech, Alabama, Michigan, Georgia Tech, Syracuse are some of the colleges I picked out.  I think many of you underestimate who is actually playing in the CFL.
Some of them do. Some like Tracy Ham are very good players but don't have the measurables for NFL success. But that doesn't mean they aren't good and it certainly doesn't mean that they aren't better than the vast majority of college players if not better than all college players at their position any given year. You take a good college player and give him 4-5 years of experience in Canada and he'll be leaps and bounds better than almost every college player. Could the best high school team beat a bad divison 1 college team? I don't think there's anyway that happens. The college team is made up of good high school players with more experience. The same can be said for the CFL players.

Yes this is true, but this does not take away the fact that the next best guys go to places like the CFL which is definitely not as good as the NFL but they are not just run of the mill players. The CFL is filled with many good players espeically at the skilled positions. And these players come over from NCAA and have competed at the NCAA levels and now taken it to a league higher than the NCAA and have grown as players and learned much more than what they knew at the NCAA level. I am pretty sure that these guys would tell you that the CFL is a step above even the best NCAA teams.

In saying that, like others have posted befoe the game may be close but the CFL team will come out on top.

I think because the CFL is such a small league only 8 teams it does not get as watered down as you are making it out be. These next best guys are not slouches. There are many guys that come and try their luck in the CFL and fail miserably.

I am not a big CFL fan at all, in fact I cut down the league quite a bit to my buddies who are big into it, but I am looking at it objectively and it seems quite clear to me who would win 9 out of 10 times.

I looked at the Edmonton Eskimos myself. Their web site touts their first draft pick, first overall in the CFL draft; Adam Braidwood, DE from Washington State. This guy had 27 tackles and 6.5 sacks his senior year on a bad team (4-7, 1-7 Pac-10). He was probably not in the top 50 defensive ends in the NCAA; scout.com didn't bother ranking him. If that's the #1 guy in your draft, your league is not made up of players who can compete at the top levels of the NCAA.

I looked at the Edmonton Eskimos myself. Their web site touts their first draft pick, first overall in the CFL draft; Adam Braidwood, DE from Washington State. This guy had 27 tackles and 6.5 sacks his senior year on a bad team (4-7, 1-7 Pac-10). He was probably not in the top 50 defensive ends in the NCAA; scout.com didn't bother ranking him. If that's the #1 guy in your draft, your league is not made up of players who can compete at the top levels of the NCAA.
I'm not familiar with how the CFL draft works, but since he played for Washington I'd bet he's from Canada and that why he's considered a good first round pick. But yea, I'm betting Mario Williams is a better DE prospect. :yes:

There are many guys that come and try their luck in the CFL and fail miserably
I'm not a huge CFL fan either, but I'll try to rattle of some notable names that were no-gos. I'm pretty sure most of these guys had amazing college careers and yet were non-impact CFLers.- Jason Gesser- Michael Bishop- John Avery (Still plays, is mediocre at best)- Andre Rison (was washed already, but was of no impact)- Dexter Manley- Lawrence Philips- Tee Martin- Todd MarinovichBTW: I also had to note that simply being drafted does not make you an NFL player. Most of these guys were high picks and still busts in BOTH leagues. (Rison obviously the exception).So the point many of us are trying to make is that the CFL is composed of players good enough from stopping these college stand-outs from making an impact. I totally agree that college team may have the best 5 players on the field (albeit younger and inexperienced), but I certainly agree they'd have the worst 20 on the field as well.Finally, remember when you look back and see all these great players from Miami and USC that even the good ones struggled in their first year or two. Alex Smith didn't do much in San Fran last year....I bet many Niner fans would have taken Garcia in his prime !!! (When he was playing in the CFL)

There is a SERIOUS overestimation of the lack of talent in the CFL. These guys couldn't cut it in the NFL. I guess that means their football skill must be just a step above ours since they don't get paid much :rolleyes:

The CFL teams are going to get brutalized on the line of scrimmage because they are all so slow and small :loco:

How much of a talent drop off is there between the worst player in the NFL and the first player who doesn't quite make it? Probably none. Maybe the NFL guy had a better interview, maybe he got along better with the coach or GM making the decision.

Take the top 5-6 guys who didn't make the NFL for the last five years. Put them on the same team. Teach them to play with Canadian rules. Give them a few years of experience. Let them know they are not good enough to play in the NFL and have been religated to the "minors". Tell them if they can't cut it here they are going to be working at the 7 Eleven.

They are going to trounce the college players.

If you have only watched a game or two of CFL don't post that the game isn't good or there is no talent. That is as stupid as me watching a Cleveland/Arizona game from a few years ago that ended up 9-6 and then saying there was no talent in the NFL. There are clunkers in the NFL too.

Edited to add: CFL sucks, NFL rules!

How can you even argue when you don't even know the rules? Roster rules allow more Americans then Canucks.########......

The draft is for canadian players...

The CFL still has to have a majority of the players be from Canada.  Those supporting the CFL talk about the NCAA team having 5-10 top players that would make the NFL but what about the rest?  The fact that you think the CFL teams would have better depth than the NCAA team is laughable to me.  Those that talk about a number of CFL players being from top NCAA programs, those are the top CFL players and they couldnt make the NFL.  The top players from the top NCAA programs are likely to be starters in the NFL and potentially Pro Bowlers.

How can you even argue when you don't even know the rules? Roster rules allow more Americans then Canucks.########......
Inferiority complex much? I have been to many CFL games. I lived in Toronto for 2 years and went to both Argonaut and Tigercat games. I like all Football but the class of team in the CFL does not match up to the talent of a National Championship collegiate team.

Users who are viewing this thread