What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Cowboys 5-2 at Eagles 7-1*** (-3, 46) 4:25 (1 Viewer)

Yeah, these are 2 of the top-8 teams in the NFL.

That's how it seemed to me. Very evenly matched. Yet the narrative is Dallas is a fraud and Eagles are awesome. That seems a long ways from reality in my opinion.
Did you see the predictions and comments from Eagles fans prior to the game? Most were nervous about this one, very few were taking Dallas lightly.

Dak escaped the pocket and bought himself time over and over again. He came up short late in the fourth, but the only reason they were in that position was his ability to escape pressure kin the pocket and find someone downfield

Dallas is the second best team in the NFC right now. They beat SF handily if they played right now.

That's how it seemed to me. Very evenly matched. Yet the narrative is Dallas is a fraud and Eagles are awesome. That seems a long ways from reality in my opinion.
Did you see the predictions and comments from Eagles fans prior to the game? Most were nervous about this one, very few were taking Dallas lightly.

Dak escaped the pocket and bought himself time over and over again. He came up short late in the fourth, but the only reason they were in that position was his ability to escape pressure kin the pocket and find someone downfield
We could just as much be unhappy as we are happy. That was too close. Evenly matched for sure, we had some good bounces. Might even be top 2 teams in NFC.

Either Dallas is way better than everyone thinks or Philadelphia isn't nearly as good as everyone thinks
Dallas is inconsistent, for sure. Should’ve won today obviously

I think the Eagles are not as good as their fans think but I wear my Eagles hate on my sleeve so…who knows
Lot of Eagles fans here have stated they don't think we're all that great. NOBODY thinks they're more then inches better then the Cowboys right now.

A lot of talk about how badly Dallas needed this game, but I honestly thought the Eagles needed it more. The schedule coming out of the bye is brutal. KC on the road out of their own bye? Seattle, SF? Dallas again on the road? Eagles needed this one, needed the space because Dallas is gonna get a game or two back in the next 4 weeks. A Dallas win tonight would have made them the prohibitive favorite to take the division IMO. They might still have the chance to take it when Philly travels there.

Dallas is a top 5 team

The Eagles haven't won many games this season pretty. They're always pretty ugly, they look bad in stretches and then they have more points than the opponent at the end of the game.

Dallas is the second best team in the NFC right now. They beat SF handily if they played right now.
Don't sleep on Detroit.
I think Eagles and Dallas beat Detroit right now. We'll see how injuries go by the time the playoffs come.
Agreed. Detroit hasn't really showed they can beat elite competition. Still young/inexperienced. No pushover though, need a clean game against them. Still, given their schedule they may well claim top seed

Great game. Hurts seemed a little gimpy otherwise I think it would have been different in the second half. I know he ran but not like he is capable of.

Hurts knee went sideways, shocked he did not tear anything.

Either Dallas is way better than everyone thinks or Philadelphia isn't nearly as good as everyone thinks

I think the Eagles are not as good as their fans think but I wear my Eagles hate on my sleeve so…who knows
Lot of Eagles fans here have stated they don't think we're all that great. NOBODY thinks they're more then inches better then the Cowboys right now.

A lot of talk about how badly Dallas needed this game, but I honestly thought the Eagles needed it more. The schedule coming out of the bye is brutal. KC on the road out of their own bye? Seattle, SF? Dallas again on the road? Eagles needed this one, needed the space because Dallas is gonna get a game or two back in the next 4 weeks. A Dallas win tonight would have made them the prohibitive favorite to take the division IMO. They might still have the chance to take it when Philly travels there.
I had us winning 23-20 at the beginning of this thread. I don’t think anyone that is a fan of the eagles thinks they are great. We’re all just happy that they are stacking wins even when they aren’t playing up to their perceived potential. Going into the bye 8-1 and an extra week to get healthy/figure things out before this coming gauntlet is really great. Amazing win today

Don't sleep on Detroit.
I think Eagles and Dallas beat Detroit right now. We'll see how injuries go by the time the playoffs come.
Agreed. Detroit hasn't really showed they can beat elite competition. Still young/inexperienced. No pushover though, need a clean game against them. Still, given their schedule they may well claim top seed
I mean, they are the only team to beat KC this season.

Don't sleep on Detroit.

Well, the Denver Broncos aren't really an NFL team, but...

I listen to a lot of Eagles talk outside of this forum. I hear way more Dallas is frauds and Eagles are awesome. And I don't think that's reality.

Don't sleep on Detroit.

Well, the Denver Broncos aren't really an NFL team, but...
I either totally spaced that, or my brain refuses to accept it, one or the other.

I listen to a lot of Eagles talk outside of this forum. I hear way more Dallas is frauds and Eagles are awesome. And I don't think that's reality.
I find that in general sports talk outside of FBG is typically poorly informed. Folks here are usually more reasonable/realistic. Usually :p

Reading just these posts, you'd think the Eagles lost the game.

Great game. Hurts seemed a little gimpy otherwise I think it would have been different in the second half. I know he ran but not like he is capable of.

Hurts knee went sideways, shocked he did not tear anything.

For him to come out second half and do what he did was amazing. So happy he's my qb. Love that guy

Didn't you say the same kind of stuff last year. I believe you attributed the Eagles success to the fact they had, paraphrasing "You guys had an easy schedule and the easiest path to the Super Bowl ever"

I'm just curious at what point does the phrase "You are what your record is" start becoming true? I suspect in the next 5 games we will lose some, but not a ton, but I'd bet that somehow along the way the wins will still be excused instead of given credit for. 8-1 starts in back to back years doesn't really seem fluky to me.

Especially between these two teams and the coaches and QB's they have. One QB has the highest QB rating when his team is trailing, another QB has the league lowest QB rating when trailing.

Mike McCarthy definitely had some questionable play calls throughout this game - getting calls off late. And the QB targeted Jalen Tolbert as many times as Lamb in the 4th Q.

Didn't you say the same kind of stuff last year. I believe you attributed the Eagles success to the fact they had, paraphrasing "You guys had an easy schedule and the easiest path to the Super Bowl ever"

Did you mean to quote what I said?

I wrote, "I hear way more Dallas is frauds and Eagles are awesome. And I don't think that's reality." I don't recall saying that last year but it's entirely possible I did.

Regardless, it's a fact that's what I hear.

For schedule, you're not objecting to people saying Eagles had an easy 2022 schedule are you?

I do think I remember talking about that last year.

And that was far from a hot take. https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/2022-nfl-strength-of-schedule/

Only the Giants had an easier schedule in 2022.

Last edited:

I wrote, "I hear way more Dallas is frauds and Eagles are awesome. And I don't think that's reality." I don't recall saying that last year but it's entirely possible I did.

For schedule, you're not objecting to people saying Eagles had an easy 2022 schedule are you?

And that was far from a hot take. https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/2022-nfl-strength-of-schedule/

Only the Giants had an easier schedule in 2022. Are you saying that's not correct?
I agree we had an easy schdule, and I felt like you attributed it to the reason the Eagles were successful. Maybe I am misremembering that. But it sure felt like a lot of the talk was "Eagles are frauds wait til the play someone tough" and I guess we never played any tough teams despite playing in a division with 3 playoff teams.

Now we have a 1st place schedule, have beat every 1st place team we have played and the only loss we had was a 0-4 turnover debacle where our HOF RT played 9 snaps.

And I believe its what you hear about the Eagles. I'm just curious if you think those things you hear are true - that the Eagles aren't as good as their record/Cowboys are better than their record.

The Eagles have had the best record in the NFL or tied with the best record every week since the beginning of last season. You don't luck your way to that kind of success IMO.

I guess I'm more curious if you think the Eagles are a good team. You asked me a little while back who my top 5 power rankings teams were. I'd be curious to see who yours are now.

Only the Giants had an easier schedule in 2022. Are you saying that's not correct?
I agree we had an easy schdule, and I felt like you attributed it to the reason the Eagles were successful. Maybe I am misremembering that. But it sure felt like a lot of the talk was "Eagles are frauds wait til the play someone tough" and I guess we never played any tough teams despite playing in a division with 3 playoff teams.

Now we have a 1st place schedule, have beat every 1st place team we have played and the only loss we had was a 0-4 turnover debacle where our HOF RT played 9 snaps.

And I believe its what you hear about the Eagles. I'm just curious if you think those things you hear are true - that the Eagles aren't as good as their record/Cowboys are better than their record.

The Eagles have had the best record in the NFL or tied with the best record every week since the beginning of last season. You don't luck your way to that kind of success IMO.

I guess I'm more curious if you think the Eagles are a good team. You asked me a little while back who my top 5 power rankings teams were. I'd be curious to see who yours are now.
Eagles have to be # 1 but they just don’t look as dominant as last year. I think they’re beatable even if they haven’t really been beaten yet (other than the Jets) if that makes sense. Yesterday was a good example of that. But they are now in very good shape to get the 1 seed and that will be a massive advantage.

Nope. As a Cowboys fan, I know better than many that the Boys always lose to really good teams. SF would house us again

I think with the 2nd easiest schedule, questions about how they'd fare against a really good team were appropriate.

This year, their schedule is not the super cream puff it was last year, but still only the 10th most difficult schedule. :shrug: https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/2023-nfl-strength-of-schedule/

Eagles have to be # 1 but they just don’t look as dominant as last year. I think they’re beatable even if they haven’t really been beaten yet (other than the Jets) if that makes sense. Yesterday was a good example of that. But they are now in very good shape to get the 1 seed and that will be a massive advantage.
Agreed. They’re good. They’re not elite.

They coulda/shoulda/woulda lost a couple games this year. But, they keep winning, and sometimes look incredibly lucky. I’m a homer, but when I see a team look consistently lucky, I think there’s more there than blind *** luck. “Luck is when skill meets opportunity.”

They have one of the best rosters in football, and they should be more dominant, on paper. But, they’re still not elite. Thankfully, nobody else in the NFC is, either. DAL is right there with us and will probably win at home. SF is more devastated by injuries than us, but could up to that elite level getting bodies back. Their Offense is better than ours- and that is saying A LOT. Luckily, Wilks stinks and hopefully keeps stinking after the bye. Their Dline coach is a necromancing magician, though, and if anyone can breathe new life into Gregory and Young- it’s him.

I guess I'm more curious if you think the Eagles are a good team.

I don't think I've ever said anything like the Eagles aren't a good team. Do you have a quote from me there?

They can have a cream puff schedule and still be a good team. Ohio State and Michigan do that.

From what I shared in the mid season report card thread. I agree with this from the Athletic:

Best overall teams: Eagles (8-1), Chiefs (7-2), Ravens (7-2)
All three teams had landmark wins yesterday. The Ravens were particularly impressive while blowing out a good Seahawks team, 37-3. Kansas City beat Miami, 21-14 in Germany, and quietly has an awesome defense this year. The Eagles continue to beat good teams (28-23 over Dallas) while still not looking like a finished product, which is a scary thought in itself.

You can also win the Super Bowl: Jaguars (6-2), Dolphins (6-3), Lions (6-2), 49ers (6-2), Cowboys (5-3), Bengals (5-3)
This is our clear second tier, minus a few stragglers who will probably be mad at me for omitting them (hi, 5-4 Bills). Half of these teams were off yesterday, giving us more time to talk about the talented-but-flawed group like the Dolphins, who can’t seem to win a big game, and the Cowboys, who choked away a win against Philly. And then there is Cincinnati, charging ahead after starting the year 1-3. They looked incredible against 5-4 Buffalo last night, winning 24-18.

If I had to rank them, I'd say:

1. Baltimore
2. Kansas City
3. Philadelphia
4. Bengals
5. San Francisco

But I'm not adamant about any of those. And can absolutely make the case for including other teams listed by Athletic in that bunch.

From what I shared in the mid season report card thread. I agree with this from the Athletic:

All three teams had landmark wins yesterday. The Ravens were particularly impressive while blowing out a good Seahawks team, 37-3. Kansas City beat Miami, 21-14 in Germany, and quietly has an awesome defense this year. The Eagles continue to beat good teams (28-23 over Dallas) while still not looking like a finished product, which is a scary thought in itself.

You can also win the Super Bowl: Jaguars (6-2), Dolphins (6-3), Lions (6-2), 49ers (6-2), Cowboys (5-3), Bengals (5-3)
This is our clear second tier, minus a few stragglers who will probably be mad at me for omitting them (hi, 5-4 Bills). Half of these teams were off yesterday, giving us more time to talk about the talented-but-flawed group like the Dolphins, who can’t seem to win a big game, and the Cowboys, who choked away a win against Philly. And then there is Cincinnati, charging ahead after starting the year 1-3. They looked incredible against 5-4 Buffalo last night, winning 24-18.

1. Baltimore
2. Kansas City
3. Philadelphia
4. Bengals
5. San Francisco

But I'm not adamant about any of those. And can absolutely make the case for including other teams listed by Athletic in that bunch.

We're gonna find out this Sunday if the Jaguars belong in that top 5 over San Fran. Honestly, I think I'd put the Lions in there.

1. Baltimore
2. Kansas City
3. Philadelphia
4. Bengals
5. San Francisco

I'm kind of liking the Atlantic's tiers here. While I'd put the Eagles #1 if forced to a strict ranking, it's hard to do right now. Nobody is standing out that way, and I couldn't blame anybody for picking the Chiefs or Ravens ahead of them. Similarly the Cowboys Bengals and Jaguars are capable of beating those top tier teams when playing to their capabilities

I think I'd put the Lions in there.

Absolutely can make that case.
speaking of easy schedules.......

I still think the Lions should win the top seed Or, at least, they will if they're as good as we think they might be
Lions are a good team, but imo they have a lot left to prove before I anoint them.

Looking at the schedule they
• they beat the Chiefs by 1 point, but I think we’ve seen that the Chiefs aren’t quite as formidable on offense as in recent years. Plus IIRC they were without Kelce.
• gave up 37 in a loss to Seattle at home
• Crushed a disjointed falcons team
• Beat a not great Packers team
• Beat the winless (at the time) panthers
• beat the Bucs 20-6 - while scrappy, I don’t consider TB “elite” by any stretch.
• got crushed by Baltimore
• beat the most dysfunctional team in the NFL in dismantling the bumbling JimmyG & the Raiders on MNF.

It’s a pretty mixed bag. I think I need to see at least 2-3 more quality wins against good opponents for me to be convinced that the Lions are in the “elite” conversation.

The tricky part there is that their remaining schedule is kind of a cake-walk.
Saints D is tough - that should be a good test. Chargers are such a mixed bag with a league worst passing defense. They get the packers again; and the Cousin-less Vikings twice. Bears twice, too. That leaves the Cowboys as the lone game to use as a benchmark before the playoffs. And we’ve seen that the Cowboys are a bit up & down as well.

Don’t get me wrong here. I’ve liked a lot of what I’ve seen from the lions, and this is in no way me bashing on them. Just an observation that they’ve largely lost to the quality teams they’ve faced, while beating up on also-rans. The Chiefs is their lone “signature win” against an elite oppoment, but in a game without Kelce it feels a little bit less meaningful.

I’m actually fascinated to see how they fare in the playoffs. I also believe teams can improve over the course of a season, and the Lions could well do that. But for the moment it looks like there will still be some questions about their mettle when they kick off against one of the other top NFC teams in the playoffs. I can’t recall a situation similar to this. It’s no fault of the Lions that their schedule is relatively weak though. I’d feel a lot better about them if they hadn’t been blown out by Baltimore & Seattle.

Last edited:

I still think the Lions should win the top seed Or, at least, they will if they're as good as we think they might be
Lions are a good team, but imo they have a lot left to prove before I anoint them.

• they beat the Chiefs by 1 point, but I think we’ve seen that the Chiefs aren’t quite as formidable on offense as in recent years. Plus IIRC they were without Kelce.
• beat the Bucs 20-6 - while scrappy, I don’t consider TB “elite” by any stretch.
• beat the most dysfunctional team in the NFL in dismantling the a bumbling JimmyG & the Raiders on MNF.

It’s a pretty mixed bag. I think I need to see at least 2-3 more quality wins against good opponents for me to be convinced that the Lions are in the “elite” conversation.

Saints D is tough - that should be a good test. Chargers are such a mixed bag with a league worst passing defense. They get the packers again; and the Cousin-less Vikings twice. Bears twice, too. That leaves the Cowboys as the lone game to use as a benchmark before the playoffs. And we’ve seen that the Cowboys are a bit up & down as well.

Don’t get me wrong here. I’ve liked a lot of what I’ve seen from the lions, and this is in no way me bashing on them. Just an observation that they’ve largely lost to the quality teams they’ve faced, while beating up on also-rans. The Chiefs is their lone “signature win” against an elite oppoment, but in a game without Kelce it feels a little bit less meaningful.

I’m actually fascinated to see how they fare in the playoffs. I also believe teams can improve over the course of a season, and the Lions could well do that. But for the moment it looks like there will still be some questions about their mettle when they kick off against one of the other top NFC teams in the playoffs. I can’t recall a situation similar to this. It’s no fault of the Lions that their schedule is relatively weak though. I’d feel a lot better about them if they hadn’t been blown out by Baltimore & Seattle.

Chiefs were missing Kelce and Chris Jones. Two All-Pros, still winning at Arrowhead is a big win.

I feel like the Lions are in the same boat as the Eagles last season. You can only play the teams on your schedule. If they're considered "easy" games, so what. Just win.

• beat the most dysfunctional team in the NFL in dismantling the a bumbling JimmyG & the Raiders on MNF.

Exactly. It was the way they looked losing to SEA and Bal that makes me think they're still a year away. But they're good, and they could easily get on a roll and get homefield thru the playoffs.

I feel like the Lions are in the same boat as the Eagles last season. You can only play the teams on your schedule. If they're considered "easy" games, so what. Just win.
Right - and I eluded to this.

But the Seahawks & Ravens were the only good teams on their schedule besides the chiefs and they weren’t very competitive in those games.

Which leaves me a little less than convinced. Not burying them, just looking for more.

Hypothetical: how do you view the Lions if they beat everyone left on their schedule except the Saints & Cowboys?

Right - and I eluded to this.

But the Seahawks & Ravens were the only good teams on their schedule besides the chiefs and they weren’t very competitive in those games.

Which leaves me a little less than convinced. Not burying them, just looking for more.

Hypothetical: how do you view the Lions if they beat everyone left on their schedule except the Saints & Cowboys?

I would view them as a very beatable team in the playoffs. But, to be honest, even if they run the table, I view them as very beatable.

Users who are viewing this thread