What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crime Wave Thread - Where we discuss the national increase in crime during the Biden Administration (2 Viewers)

TripItUp

Footballguy
Mitch Mcconnel's Tweet from today.

"Innocent Americans across the country are becoming victims of a violent crime wave.   My hometown Louisville set a new all-time high murder record last year and averages a carjacking every 42 hours.  Democrats have got to quite the radical anti-police rhetoric and soft on crime policies."

Amen Mitch, Amen

"Innocent Americans across the country are becoming victims of a violent crime wave.   My hometown Louisville set a new all-time high murder record last year and averages a carjacking every 42 hours.  Democrats have got to quite the radical anti-police rhetoric and soft on crime policies."

Amen Mitch, Amen
This is a problem. It’s less about Biden and more about city governments deciding in the wake of George Floyd to be more lenient on criminal reform. I’ve been reading about New York in particular. And yes it’s usually Democrats. 

The goal of a lot of criminal reform is to ease the burdens that our past law enforcement have placed on communities of color. I think this is a very worthy goal. But there should be a way to achieve it without making things too unsafe. 

Amen Mitch, Amen
Yet the police budget in Louisville increased

https://wfpl.org/metro-louisville-2022-budget-what-got-funded-what-didnt/amp/

Well of course, because of the riots and the burning of the cities to the ground......duh. That's Bidens fault too.
Oh yea.  Just like worldwide inflation is Biden's fault.  Just like the stock market used to be great evidence for how successful a president was...until Biden got elected.  Like how unemployment was fake during Obama, the gold standard during Trump, and now not to be trusted again.

Weird. 

Do you think crime is down?  
It's rather clear that the answer here is "yes" if the time frame is larger than 2019/20 til now.  No question things began going up in 2019-2020 though and continue to go up today.  This is another one of those subjects that seems to only matter to some depending on who's in the White House, which is unfortunate.  Personally?  I'm not any more alarmed now than I was just 2-3 years ago when the increase started.  We are still WAY down from the 80s and 90s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think crime is down?  
Why do you think Crime is up?

(not is it up - but why is it up?)

Also - somewhat related - are there any studies that show that cities with more police officers per capita, have lower crime rates?  (My sense is that police do more work catching bad guys than they do preventing bad guys - but I don't know that.)

My working hypothesis is that rises in crime rates are not related to a single infection point, nor to the annual police budget, but rather to much larger societal issues.  Those issues are hard to identify, and even harder to solve, politically.

This is a problem. It’s less about Biden and more about city governments deciding in the wake of George Floyd to be more lenient on criminal reform. I’ve been reading about New York in particular. And yes it’s usually Democrats. 

The goal of a lot of criminal reform is to ease the burdens that our past law enforcement have placed on communities of color. I think this is a very worthy goal. But there should be a way to achieve it without making things too unsafe. 

What criminal reform policies have lead to an increase in crime? Do you have the stats to back up your assertions? 

Because this just seems like one of those blanket statements that I'm not convinced is true. 

Also - somewhat related - are there any studies that show that cities with more police officers per capita, have lower crime rates?  (My sense is that police do more work catching bad guys than they do preventing bad guys - but I don't know that.)

My working hypothesis is that rises in crime rates are not related to a single infection point, nor to the annual police budget, but rather to much larger societal issues.  Those issues are hard to identify, and even harder to solve, politically.
Well similarly to fraud...going to bet there is a similar crime triangle.  Fraud being Motive/Pressure, Opportunity, Rationalization.   Opportunity going to be part of it...motivation likely due to poverty in areas...rationalization: feeling wronged by someone or something and feel you deserve it...

Like no cash bail to start. 

Like no cash bail to start. 

Well, there are multiple layers to that.

Lets start with: do you think we should be incarcerating people before they have been convicted of crimes?

Are there studies showing that there is a higher rate of crime among people out on bail?  (Intuitively, you would think so - but, again, I don't know).

How many people who are released on no cash bail, were charged with violent crimes?  Its my understanding where states have enacted these laws, its generally for misdemeanors and non-violent crimes.  So, at first blush, I don't see a connection to a rise in violent crimes as a result of letting people out on no cash bail terms.

What criminal reform policies have lead to an increase in crime? Do you have the stats to back up your assertions? 

Because this just seems like one of those blanket statements that I'm not convinced is true. 
Oh I don’t know the specifics. I’m relying on some commentators I’ve read who are generally liberal but are arguing that this latest round of criminal reform has “gone too far”, particularly in New York City. 
My comments were based on the assumption that it’s true but I don’t have the details to assert that it is. But whether true or not, it’s a powerful political weapon for the Republicans to wield. 

This means nothing.  Was it enough?  Defund doesn't automatically mean remove funding.   But yo-u know that.  You're just being you.

Sho, I know you love to post links that you generally don't read or understand just to gotcha other posters and be board cop, but man it gets old. Seriously.  Why do you think it is you're not very well liked here--by both sides?
Perhaps drop the gotcha attempts and understand I was only speaking from the claims of democrats and defunding...to discuss Mitch's comments posted here and seen elsewhere.

I pointed out, with links, the budget was not reduced...they did not defund the police there.

Don't complain about me trying to gotcha people...when that seems to be all you ever try to do with me...as well as constantly just making personal comments.  Drop the personal crap...and stop and read what is actually said.  Its utterly ridiculous that nearly every reply of yours to me is some snarky personal comment.  Just stop.

JFC, you all can’t even agree that there’s too many people in our country being murdered and raped. :lmao:

we are so ####ed 
Nobody is questioning that. 
They’re questioning whether or not liberal criminal reform is the main cause. I think it very well may be but it’s certainly a reasonable position to think otherwise. And there are probably other causes as well. 

Perhaps drop the gotcha attempts and understand I was only speaking from the claims of democrats and defunding...to discuss Mitch's comments posted here and seen elsewhere.

I pointed out, with links, the budget was not reduced...they did not defund the police there.

Don't complain about me trying to gotcha people...when that seems to be all you ever try to do with me...as well as constantly just making personal comments.  Drop the personal crap...and stop and read what is actually said.  Its utterly ridiculous that nearly every reply of yours to me is some snarky personal comment.  Just stop.
Yeah as I said, defunding doesn't automatically mean less...You know this, but you will still go with the gotcha posts. We all know how you work Sho.  

JFC, you all can’t even agree that there’s too many people in our country being murdered and raped. :lmao:

we are so ####ed 

I don't think that is the issue - rather, given the problem - what are the root causes, and what are the solutions.

I don't think anyone has a handle on either of those questions.

Yeah as I said, defunding doesn't automatically mean less...You know this, but you will still go with the gotcha posts. We all know how you work Sho.  
I’m confused by what you’re referring to. What “defunding” has taken place during the last year  that hasn’t involved reducing the police budget? And in which police departments? 

Yes...defunding means less...it means moving money from the police to other services...and we were told it also means democrats actually want police "defunded".  Now you want to change that definition?

Im not posting gotcha posts...I posted things to address the topic and Mitch McConnell...you were the one came in with an attempted gotcha that my link was about 2022...problem from you is your gotcha attempt failed because they have not been reducing or defunding the police there.  You have zero evidence that they have...you just can't admit it because its me.  So instead of aditting you were wrong or just walking away...you have to double down and make personal comments towards me...board cop, gotcha and about what people don't like me.  

Why Did Violent Crime Surge in 2021?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-crime-and-justice-doctor/202201/why-did-violent-crime-surge-in-2021

This article does not really answer the question, but does posit a few theories behind the rise in specific crime categories

"KEY POINTS

Contrary to popular belief, a lack of confidence in policing did not appear to contribute to the spike in violent crime rates. 

Nonviolent, less-serious crimes decreased during the pandemic—yet intimate partner violence, aggravated assaults, and homicide rose. 

Relaxed social distancing requirements implemented in 2021 may have contributed to a spike in homicide rates, research suggests.

Society must be proactive rather than reactive in its approach to combatting rising violent crime rates."

I’m confused by what you’re referring to. What “defunding” has taken place during the last year  that hasn’t involved reducing the police budget? And in which police departments? 
There are literally thousands of police departments in the USA..maybe more.  Are you asking me to research every one?  I don't have that time, nor do I really care about it all that much.   Feel free however to research all of them yourself and prove to me your case, since you brought it up.  Good luck with that.

Logic would dictate(again LOGIC, not feelings) that there are police budgets out there that are "defunding" while not reducing.  Moving funds to different enforcement divisions for instance..Not to mention our awesome inflation currently can lead to reduced enforcement and yet cost more.

Sheesh..

Yes...defunding means less...it means moving money from the police to other services...and we were told it also means democrats actually want police "defunded".  Now you want to change that definition?

Im not posting gotcha posts...I posted things to address the topic and Mitch McConnell...you were the one came in with an attempted gotcha that my link was about 2022...problem from you is your gotcha attempt failed because they have not been reducing or defunding the police there.  You have zero evidence that they have...you just can't admit it because its me.  So instead of aditting you were wrong or just walking away...you have to double down and make personal comments towards me...board cop, gotcha and about what people don't like me.  
Your thoughts are appreciated in this matter Sho.  Thank you.

what are your ides on ways to do that ?

There are literally thousands of police departments in the USA..maybe more.  Are you asking me to research every one?  I don't have that time, nor do I really care about it all that much.   Feel free however to research all of them yourself and prove to me your case, since you brought it up.  Good luck with that.

Logic would dictate(again LOGIC, not feelings) that there are police budgets out there that are "defunding" while not reducing.  Moving funds to different enforcement divisions for instance..Not to mention our awesome inflation currently can lead to reduced enforcement and yet cost more.

Sheesh..
What? I’m not asking you to research anything. You wrote, twice, that defunding doesn’t mean less spending. I didn’t understand that. Now you explained what you meant. I figured that you had some examples to offer. But if you don’t, that’s fine too. Now I understand your point- though I think it’s not very compelling. 

>>27 years of putting on a bulletproof vest to go to work as a law enforcement officer is not a "sudden interest" in combating violent crime. I reduced violent crime by 40% as Orlando's Chief of Police while Marco Rubio was home asleep in his bed.<<

I doubt if she wins, but the Val Demmings versus Marco Rubio debate should be interesting. 

https://twitter.com/valdemings/status/1491520512488583172?s=20&t=q5AcVHgQJZ8vxtVFbm0_iA
I liked the reply in the comment section about Rubios Bible verses tweets. I've thought the same thing quit quoting Bible verses and do something. I just wish she had been more supportive of her brothers and sisters in law enforcement when all the defund police nonsense was going on.

Users who are viewing this thread