What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cutler of Vandy (1 Viewer)

bagger.

The One Play Quiz
Dan Patrick just had JAWS on and he was saying that Cutler has been flying up the draft chart so much that some teams would actually rather pick Cutler over both Leinart and Young. :popcorn:

Dan Patrick just had JAWS on and he was saying that Cutler has been flying up the draft chart so much that some teams would actually rather pick Cutler over both Leinart and Young.

:popcorn:
Phillip Rivers II

Kiper had talked about this a few weeks ago and was the first I saw to include Cutler in the top 10 of a mock draft (#9 to Detroit).

Yes. Right after the Rose Bowl, Chris Simms FWIW was on saying he'd take Cutler over Leinart. He's a very good QB that didn't the exposure playing for what's traditionally been a weak team.J

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Mayock of the NFL Network said on the Senoir Bowl Practice show that he ranks Cutler ahead of Leihnart and Young. He states that all three are franchise-type qb's so that leads me to believe he thinks he is a top 5 pick at least.

Mike Mayock of the NFL Network said on the Senoir Bowl Practice show that he ranks Cutler ahead of Leihnart and Young. He states that all three are franchise-type qb's so that leads me to believe he thinks he is a top 5 pick at least.
Mortenson was insinuating that some teams have Cutler the best QB on their board. Although he didn't name any teams.

Kiper had talked about this a few weeks ago and was the first I saw to include Cutler in the top 10 of a mock draft (#9 to Detroit).
I would like this pick for the Lions very much.

Damn, I wanted Cutler to end up in a good situation...

Oh well...
He'll be in a great one. He won't even have to move. :yes:
Oh, he'll move out of the dorm. And into a nice home in Brentwood or Franklin like most of the other Titans. He just might not have to change cities which is your point, I'm sure.....

Oh well...
Oh, he'll move out of the dorm. And into a nice home in Brentwood or Franklin like most of the other Titans. He just might not have to change cities which is your point, I'm sure.....
With Fisher and the rest of the TEN coaching staff coaching Culter's team in the Senior Bowl, it seems very likely, assuming he continues to impress.

Oh well...
With Fisher and the rest of the TEN coaching staff coaching Culter's team in the Senior Bowl, it seems very likely, assuming he continues to impress.
Die-Hard Vols Fan...would have hard time accepting Cutler as a Franchise qb...His decision making seems to be lacking...but he has the skill set...arm, sturdy,good height,....decision making :confused:

Oh well...
Die-Hard Vols Fan...would have hard time accepting Cutler as a Franchise qb...His decision making seems to be lacking...but he has the skill set...arm, sturdy,good height,....decision making :confused:
I agree that to some extent Cutler pressed too much and made a couple of bad decisions this year. I'd guess, though, that will improve a lot when whether the team wins or loses depends solely on whether he can almost single handedly beat the other team.

I'm going to preface this post by saying I've never seen Cutler play...

Isn't this very possibly yet another case of a guy flying up the draft charts who is going to fail as he's flying up, not because of how he actually played during his college career, but from various all-star games and/or the Combine?

Will people never learn?

As a Vandy grad and a guy who has followed Cutler since his original recruitment, I believe he will make a fine NFL QB. Not only does he have the size, and good arm strength, more importantly he has intangibles. He can take pressure, big hits, and he really has an outstanding knack for making plays when the pressure is on. Check out the Florida game this year, or as my the Vols frineds can attest to last November, Culters 2 minute drill to win the game at UT. Which ever team is lucky enough to land him they will be happy.

Isn't this very possibly yet another case of a guy flying up the draft charts who is going to fail as he's flying up, not because of how he actually played during his college career, but from various all-star games and/or the Combine?

Will people never learn?
Any examples besides Rivers?

Will people never learn?
Considering hes only had one day of mediocre senior bowl practice and that people were talking about him moving into the top 10 of the draft before this week, Ill say no.

Oh well...
I came back to UT to watch the UT/Vandy game this year.You cant really question his decision making right? Hes about the only player on the Vandy roster who could have started for UT, and yet he pretty much single-handedly beat the Vols.

Will people never learn?
No, Cutler has been touted a lot during the season. You must mean "a guy I haven't heard about until now". In which case, I'll direct you towards Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich, and a couple other QBs who didn't attend big time programs, so didn't get the media attention they deserved.

Yes. Right after the Rose Bowl, Chris Simms FWIW was on saying he'd take Cutler over Leinart.

He's a very good QB that didn't the exposure playing for what's traditionally been a weak team.

J
When did Chris Simms become an expert? ;)

sounds like cutler rocked in practice today... between him and brick's amazing weeks so far, the jets and packers picks are getting more valuable.

Oh well...
I came back to UT to watch the UT/Vandy game this year.You cant really question his decision making right? Hes about the only player on the Vandy roster who could have started for UT, and yet he pretty much single-handedly beat the Vols.
Diesel I agree. I live in K-town and I don't know what people are talking about. Cutler single-handedly willed Vandy to wins this season. If anyone hasn't seen this guy they'll know about him soon enough. SOD, IMO, before all this hype, but now he's getting recognized for the QB he is. He'll be the QB that people are talking about for years to come from this draft class not Young and Leinhart or whoever else.

Will people never learn?
Joey Harrington

Will people never learn?
Joey Harrington
Harrington had hype before his last season even started.

Mike Mayock of the NFL Network said on the Senoir Bowl Practice show that he ranks Cutler ahead of Leihnart and Young.  He states that all three are franchise-type qb's so that leads me to believe he thinks he is a top 5 pick at least.
Mortenson was insinuating that some teams have Cutler the best QB on their board. Although he didn't name any teams.
Probably SEA/PITT/CAR. :confused: Teams that are not anywhere near the top of the draft and don't need QB's. Cutler will not be drafted before Leinart unless Matt's arm falls off at the combine. This just smells of an agent hyping his guy early to get some momentum for the draft.

Will people never learn?
Joey Harrington
Harrington had a whole national media campaign for the Heisman directed around him...The Oregon Duck you are looking for is Akili Smith.

I said in the Senior Bowl thread the hype smelled fishy, well, Cutler's reviews are very mixed right now. He looked good yesterday in comparison to QBs who just looked bad. Today he looked okay, but no better than Charlie Whitehurst, according to Draft Countdown. Of a half dozen different practice reports, I've read everything from him looking very good to him looking awful. It sounds like he's trying too hard to play to his advantage-- he has easily the strongest arm there but by trying to show it off, he's making bad throws. I don't get the feeling his stock is on the rise. It was soundly in the mid-first round, and I think it could slip very easily this week if he continues without improvement.

not to be a stick in the mud, but I think it was Mortenson, not Jaws.
It was Mortenson. Interesting comparison to Brett Favre.
For the past couple of years I've heard this comparision to Favre and I got to tell you I'm sick of it. First was Grossman, than Ramsey, then Losman. I'm sick of it. there is only one BRETT FAVRE. Please stop the comparisions. This kid might be good but to say he's LIKE FAVRE.... I think not. I'll still stick with Leinart being the best QB out of this class. I don't understand how last year all the experts were touting him as a no doubt #1 pick overall. He goes back to school, has a great year and wins alot of games. He gets his team back to the championship game has a good game (great in the second half) and all of a sudden his stock drops. Can someone explain this to me.

Will people never learn?
Joey Harrington
Harrington had a whole national media campaign for the Heisman directed around him...The Oregon Duck you are looking for is Akili Smith.
Akili Smith had one great season and came out of nowhere. Cutler, like Rivers, has been good his entire college career but didn't get noticed since he didn't play for a big-time football program.Jay Cutler stats and bio

For the past couple of years I've heard this comparision to Favre and I got to tell you I'm sick of it. First was Grossman, than Ramsey, then Losman. I'm sick of it. there is only one BRETT FAVRE. Please stop the comparisions. This kid might be good but to say he's LIKE FAVRE.... I think not. I'll still stick with Leinart being the best QB out of this class. I don't understand how last year all the experts were touting him as a no doubt #1 pick overall. He goes back to school, has a great year and wins alot of games. He gets his team back to the championship game has a good game (great in the second half) and all of a sudden his stock drops. Can someone explain this to me.
Because last year his competition was Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers. Now he has Vince Young, Omar Jacobs and Jay Cutler - all of which may be better than any of the QB's in the draft last year, including Leinart.

Because last year his competition was Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers. Now he has Vince Young, Omar Jacobs and Jay Cutler - all of which may be better than any of the QB's in the draft last year, including Leinart.
I guess my point was last year the experts were saying he was a franchise qb and a can't miss project. Now don't get me wrong I love Vince Young but I have ?'s about his pro career. I haven't really seen enough of Cutler to make a fair judgement and what I have seen out of Jacobs makes me want to like him. All I know is before the super performance by Vince he was MAYBE a first rounder per Kiper and Mortenson. Mortenson even the day after the Rosebowl (on the Dan Patrick show) still doesn't think he's a top ten pick. Leinart in my opinion has the tools and the experience of running a NFL caliber offense. Again, I love Vince but I don't think the shotgun hand off and fakes are going to work in the NFL.

:goodposting: And he missed the three pete, by 10 inches

:goodposting: And he missed the three Re-pete, by 10 inches
fixed :thumbup:

Will people never learn?
Joey Harrington
Akili Smith had one great season and came out of nowhere. Cutler, like Rivers, has been good his entire college career but didn't get noticed since he didn't play for a big-time football program.Jay Cutler stats and bio
Are you really telling me the history of Jay Cutler? Where did you see me comparing him to Akili Smith?

NFL Draft Scout says Cutler has been the story through the first two days of practice..."Seemed more comfortable today" [1/24]"Placing the ball more accurately""Jaw-dropping zip""If he continues on this pace...will be vying for top 10 pick status AND may be higher than Leinart on some boards"

Rule #1 of the NFL Draft: BEWARE of guys flying up the draft charts.
You're absolutely right. I'd prefer a QB who played in a tough conference and demonstrated the ability to take a team on his shoulders and win against good competition. Oh, and I'd like him to be smart, somwhere around 6-3 to 6-4, 220+ pounds...

The only knock on the kid is he didn't get the same level of coaching as Leinart or Young.

NFL Draft Scout says Cutler has been the story through the first two days of practice...

"Seemed more comfortable today" [1/24]

"Placing the ball more accurately"

"Jaw-dropping zip"

"If he continues on this pace...will be vying for top 10 pick status AND may be higher than Leinart on some boards"
My friend who is there claims Cutler looks like the only QB capable of playing successfully in the NFL. I told him there's reports here and there that he's been inaccurate and not looking THAT good. It's just that the other QBs have been really bad. I directed him to comments at GBN and NFLDC (both sites thought Whitehurst looked as good or better today), and he laughed. "Whitehurst threw two beautiful interceptions and three more ugly balls that should have been intercepted. They don't know what they're talking about. Cutler is solid, has a huge arm, puts the ball on the money, makes great reads yada yada. The rest of the QBs look lost in comparison." :shrug:

NFL Draft Scout says Cutler has been the story through the first two days of practice...

"Seemed more comfortable today" [1/24]

"Placing the ball more accurately"

"Jaw-dropping zip"

"If he continues on this pace...will be vying for top 10 pick status AND may be higher than Leinart on some boards"
My friend who is there claims Cutler looks like the only QB capable of playing successfully in the NFL. I told him there's reports here and there that he's been inaccurate and not looking THAT good. It's just that the other QBs have been really bad. I directed him to comments at GBN and NFLDC (both sites thought Whitehurst looked as good or better today), and he laughed. "Whitehurst threw two beautiful interceptions and three more ugly balls that should have been intercepted. They don't know what they're talking about. Cutler is solid, has a huge arm, puts the ball on the money, makes great reads yada yada. The rest of the QBs look lost in comparison." :shrug:
Hey Chaos,I think the Pro-Cutler outlook is the more accurate one. I don't know the guys at NFLDC that well, but I can say emphatically that GBN has unfortunately taken a turn for the worse since the untimely passing of Frank.

For what it's worth NFL Draft Scout said Cutler looked erratic at times in the first day of practice, and it appeared to be nerves...but he was head and tail above all the other QBs that day. And the quotes I mentioned in my previous post were from the 2nd day, where it appears Cutler started to settle in and show himself to be closer to Young and Leinart than the rest of the pack.

My issue right now is that guys like Chris Mortensen and Ron Jaworski really ARE NOT draft guys. They say things like, "Cutler is higher on some boards than Leinart" based on unfounded opinion and "heard in the hallways" stuff. Honestly. At this point, with Leinert yet to work out, Young yet to work out, and Cutler really an unknown to a lot of folks, I guarantee that most NFL teams DON'T EVEN HAVE A BOARD yet much less would they be able to say Cutler is higher than the other 1st round guys.

Cutler takes Senior Bowl attention in stride

By Jim Scavino, Sports Correspondent

January 25, 2006

MOBILE, Ala. — As the only SEC player on the Senior Bowl’s North squad, Jay Cutler admits he doesn’t know much about the people around him.

That’s funny, because a lot of people sure know about him.

Arguably the most popular player on the North squad in terms of attention from media and NFL teams, the former Vanderbilt quarterback’s rising stock has him poised to become one of the breakout players at this year’s Senior Bowl.

“It’s fun,” said Cutler about the interest. “It’s definitely not a bad thing.”

It’s certainly a long way from the attention Cutler received coming out of high school, when only a handful of big-time programs showed interest. But after nearly 10,000 total yards and 59 touchdown passes in four years, it seems everybody wants a moment of Cutler’s time.

Following Tuesday’s practice, Cutler was surrounded by national media, but not until he was done chatting with representatives from the Kansas City Chiefs and San Diego Chargers.

On Monday, he had a lengthy talk with Miami Dolphins Coach Nick Saban, and on Tuesday he met for a half hour with Titans Offensive Coordinator Norm Chow, one of Cutler’s coaches on the North squad this week.

“He’s a bright young man with a strong, live arm,” Chow said. “He has a lot of zip on the ball and he has a good quick release.”

Chow’s assessment seems to be the general consensus on Cutler’s ability. Draft guru Mel Kiper has Cutler rated the third best quarterback behind only USC’s Matt Leinart and Texas’ Vince Young and has Cutler going ninth in the first round to the Detroit Lions. Almost everyone agrees he’ll be picked in the top 15.

Floyd Reese, Titans general manager, said Cutler isn’t quite in the company of Young and Leinart.

“I’m not ready to put him up there just yet,” Reese said. “When you’re talking about players like Young and Leinart, you’re talking about guys who have been on teams who have won all three of the last three national championships, as opposed to a guy who played at a program that has not attained a high level of success.”

“I can’t really worry about all [the projections],” Cutler said. “I just got to be consistent down here. … Everything else will take care of itself.”

On Tuesday, Cutler split reps with Clemson’s Charlie Whitehurst and Penn State’s Michael Robinson. Cutler showed off his arm strength with several completions on out routes and comeback routes. He also had one of the nicest throws of the 11-on-11 scrimmage, hitting USC tight end Dominique Byrd on a seam route 20 yards down the field in heavy traffic.

“I just want to show my talent playing against the best, working with the best coaching staff, being watched by everyone in the NFL,” Cutler said.

After the Senior Bowl, Cutler will head to next month’s NFL combine in Indianapolis.

After that, if he continues to impress, the next step will be a short wait for the phone to ring on draft day.

“You always dream of [the NFL],” he said. “It’s a long hard road, especially at Vandy where we had a lot of ups and downs. I just have to stay positive and expect the best.”
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=47393

That's what I thought about Brady when I was a student at Michigan.

Users who are viewing this thread