What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cutting The Cord. Suggestions for best streaming APPS for live NFL games (1 Viewer)

Rubi

Footballguy
Looking for suggestions from the astute members of this board. I'm dropping Spectrum cable soon. I love my RedZone during football season. What streaming apps would you suggest I look into?
Want as many live games as I can get and The RedZone if possible. Would sacrifice other entertainment in favor of live sports. Help me Sharks!

Also, if you know someone who retains cable and is close enough to give you access to their login you can stream ESPN (MNF) and the Fox Sports apps (or is it Fox Go? Something like that) with a cable login.

YouTube TV is cheaper than cable and offers all the regular channels you find nfl games on and nfl network and an option for red zone channel. That and Amazon Prime gets you all the regular broadcasts excluding the Sunday ticket package.
I’ll second this. We cut the cord a few years ago. Went through FUBO, HULU, and now on YouTube. YouTube has been the best so far In terms of what it offers for the price. That plus Amazon Prime and Netflix and we don’t miss cable at all. Not to mention YouTube doesn’t have a TV/Location limit like HULU does.

YouTube TV is cheaper than cable and offers all the regular channels you find nfl games on and nfl network and an option for red zone channel. That and Amazon Prime gets you all the regular broadcasts excluding the Sunday ticket package.
I’ll second this. We cut the cord a few years ago. Went through FUBO, HULU, and now on YouTube. YouTube has been the best so far In terms of what it offers for the price. That plus Amazon Prime and Netflix and we don’t miss cable at all. Not to mention YouTube doesn’t have a TV/Location limit like HULU does.
Great points about the value of getting the whole YouTube package granting access to CBS & FOX games. I presume SNF & MNF are also options.

I haven't priced out the differences between whichever base package gets all the NFL games (except TNF) vs going ala carte.

There are obviously advantages to having access to, for example the entire Paramount+ catalog (or whichever services have value to you vs. whatever the YouTube version of CBS is, but I will definitely do the math now that SundayTicket is no longer with DirectTV.

Great points about the value of getting the whole YouTube package granting access to CBS & FOX games. I presume SNF & MNF are also options.

I haven't priced out the differences between whichever base package gets all the NFL games (except TNF) vs going ala carte.

There are obviously advantages to having access to, for example the entire Paramount+ catalog (or whichever services have value to you vs. whatever the YouTube version of CBS is, but I will definitely do the math now that SundayTicket is no longer with DirectTV.
Another big benefit if you have kids in college or you are away from home, is you can log into YouTubeTV anywhere and access your programming. You can’t do that with HULU. With HULU you need to provide a “home base” zip code. So for me, with 2 kids in college, they both can log into YouTube TV and access the programming at the same time I’m using it at home.

Also, YouTube has NFL network as part of the package. The only games I don’t get on YouTube is Thursday night games. But those I catch on Amazon.

Another big benefit if you have kids in college or you are away from home, is you can log into YouTubeTV anywhere and access your programming. You can’t do that with HULU. With HULU you need to provide a “home base” zip code. So for me, with 2 kids in college, they both can log into YouTube TV and access the programming at the same time I’m using it at home.

Also, YouTube has NFL network as part of the package. The only games I don’t get on YouTube is Thursday night games. But those I catch on Amazon.
I haven't had that issue with Hulu and I spend about four months a year between San Diego and northern California.

Good to know though as I know password sharing is becoming a bigger issue with providers.

We've been using Fubo for a couple years, primarily because it is the only streaming service with both BigTen and PAC-12 channels. Our kids (MN and OR) and us (CA) have no issues with watching in our respective areas.

I haven't had that issue with Hulu and I spend about four months a year between San Diego and northern California.

Good to know though as I know password sharing is becoming a bigger issue with providers.
I had the issue as I spend time between PA and DE. The PA house was our home base. If I had it set up in DE for longer than 30 days without bringing the laptop or iPad back to “home base” and logging in from there, it shut me out. So you can imagine a Roku hooked up to a TV away from your home base would be a no go in that situation.

I had the issue as I spend time between PA and DE. The PA house was our home base. If I had it set up in DE for longer than 30 days without bringing the laptop or iPad back to “home base” and logging in from there, it shut me out. So you can imagine a Roku hooked up to a TV away from your home base would be a no go in that situation.
Interesting. I have done 30+ day stints in NoCal but we also have full cable access there so maybe I haven't tested Hulu in that situation.

Interesting. I have done 30+ day stints in NoCal but we also have full cable access there so maybe I haven't tested Hulu in that situation.
Here you go. From the HULU help page…

I have two houses. Can I use Hulu in both?

Our Live TV plans are intended for single-home use. If you have two houses, or plan to use Hulu in multiple locations, one of our other plans may be a better fit. If accessing live TV in both places is important to you, we’d recommend signing up for a second Live TV account.

I travel a lot for work. Can I still use Hulu while I’m on a trip?

You’ll be able to stream Hulu on your mobile devices while you are traveling within the U.S. — just make sure you check in at Home before you leave. You’ll need to do this once every 30 days to avoid any interruptions in service.

While you’re traveling, you’ll be able to watch the same national channels and regional sports networks that you can at home, but the local affiliates you’re offered may change based on your physical location. This lets you keep tabs on your hometown teams while still getting the local news and weather that’s relevant to your trip.

Think I am going to ditch spectrum for youtubeTV. I have amazon for TNF and ESPN+ for Hockey, so I think I am fully covered that way. Rest of my house watches Netflix normally anyways.

I ditched cable for Hulu+Live TV. My buddy has Youtube TV. Both are pretty much the same, but I think I got a deal on Hulu through my credit card which is why I settled there.

Both seem like decent choices.

I ditched cable for Hulu+Live TV. My buddy has Youtube TV. Both are pretty much the same, but I think I got a deal on Hulu through my credit card which is why I settled there.

I’ve had both. Only difference I see is that HULU requires a “home base”. So if you travel for long periods or have a second home, youtube TV is the preference.

I had YouTubeTV and it was good but decided for change when they raised the price to $72 per month. I didn't watch most of the channels they had anyway. I also have Prime and Netflix so it was getting a bit pricy. So now I subscribe to the following:

Peacock 4.99 - Sunday night
Paramount Plus $4.99 - Sunday Bears game
NFL+ $4.99 -Monday games but have to watch on mobile device (phone or tablet)
ESPN+ 10.99 -Some Monday games
Prime (already had it) - Thursday night

My family still gets most of their favorite shows - crime shows like Dateline and 48 hours, Top Chef, Yellowstone, and Survivor. Plus other shows and movies. Lots of soccer too.

All for a total of $25/month. If I cancel ESPN+ I can drop it to $15 (plus Prime).

I’ve had both. Only difference I see is that HULU requires a “home base”. So if you travel for long periods or have a second home, youtube TV is the preference.

YouTube TV apparently has a version of home base as well. I didn't realize that when I finally made the switch from cable a couple of weeks ago. My daughter (away from home), wasn't able to sign in under her family-shared account until I signed in for her here first. I'll probably have to do that once in a while. Apparently, they expect the account owner to regularly sign in at their "home area," too, but they give you three months instead of one.

I also didn't know that they would drop SNY from my listings just a couple of weeks later so none of us can watch Mets games come the end of the month. :mad:
And I thought I was being thorough about making sure we'd still get to watch all the channels we were getting with cable that we cared about...

Streameast

This is too common a topic. People won't always repeat their replies. Lot of good info in prior posts.

Youtube

I have a lot of confidence in Google. Not that they'll necessarily be perfect or smooth day one, but they're so well versed in technology and have so much $ that they can remedy any issues that arise.
I saw Google has been recommending 100gb fiber connections at each stadium and sending people to assist with this. Idk what was there before, what they're working on, but it's all good to read that. It's a little curious that we've never heard of other companies doing this.

Some are acting like youtube is new and/or new to streaming. Some that CBS or fox are new to streaming.
Same with smart TVs. "So I have to get a smart TV?" What society do they live in that they don't have one? Do they know what Netflix is?

I can't wrap my head around some of these gripes.

Why is watching it on your phone a problem? Yeah if it's your only capable device I get it but otherwise why is this a negative and not a cool way to do honey do lists when you're stuck or when you have to be in a car riding somewhere or...

I really can't empathize with a lot of the gripes

Streameast

This is too common a topic. People won't always repeat their replies. Lot of good info in prior posts.

Youtube

I have a lot of confidence in Google. Not that they'll necessarily be perfect or smooth day one, but they're so well versed in technology and have so much $ that they can remedy any issues that arise.
I saw Google has been recommending 100gb fiber connections at each stadium and sending people to assist with this. Idk what was there before, what they're working on, but it's all good to read that. It's a little curious that we've never heard of other companies doing this.

Some are acting like youtube is new and/or new to streaming. Some that CBS or fox are new to streaming.
Same with smart TVs. "So I have to get a smart TV?" What society do they live in that they don't have one? Do they know what Netflix is?

I can't wrap my head around some of these gripes.

Why is watching it on your phone a problem? Yeah if it's your only capable device I get it but otherwise why is this a negative and not a cool way to do honey do lists when you're stuck or when you have to be in a car riding somewhere or...

I really can't empathize with a lot of the gripes
YouTube will be fine for the most part but live streaming is a different animal than pre-recorded content. Didn't they have some concerning issues with live NBA games (or was it NHL?).

DirectTV regularly had streaming issues and that was really their only job for a decade. I've been streaming games for a few years now and all the services struggle at times.

Google will be fine but that says more about my conditioned expectations than the quality of the products that are being live streamed.

Reactions: Bri
Used Hulu + last year. Paid for expanded sports including RZC. No real issues. A bit more expensive for the big package including Disney+ and ESPN+ but far less then I used to spend on DTV or even on cable ten years ago

Question for youtubeTV users. I have a Samsung QLED that's been great. I've had yttv since December with no complaints. The last couple of weeks live sports have been a little choppy/jittery or whatever they call it. The picture is awesome but fast motion or when the camera pans it chops/jumps a little. Drives me nuts.

Now, I haven't changed the TV settings for Jutter/picture clarity settings, etc. I like picture set to "movie" and all recommended other stuff turned off, like the internet told me. Has been great other than a channel or two like AMC or USA when an old episode is aired (like say, SVU, from 2000).

I don't think it's the tv because sports on ESPN/ESPN+ and Amazon Prime apps are flawless. It's just on yttv and it's a certain few channels... ABC and Fox used to be flawless, until lately.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled the yttv app and signed out/in. Constant reboots of the Roku Ultra. Changed HDMI cable.

I've connected an ethernet cable (wired) and used WiFi, both the same.

Has anyone experienced this with yttv? TIA

I'm a research person. I'm also a person that remembers the very very first cable box in the 80s and when we got one. I'm also a person that still has a spectrum cable box. I actually tried to cancel this past month and called a day before bill was due. Makes sense right. I was informed the actual service date is staggered to mid month. So I could cancel but I'm still paying for it for the next few weeks. Smart move by them to drag out cancelling. So I still have cable. Smh. I'm gonna hold another month to see how the Disney vs spectrum thing plays out. In my opinion cable TV as we know it changes. Spectrum pays all these networks money to use on its platform and with all the people leaving they are hemorrhaging money from television. I think they gonna dump television and focus on wifi where they don't have to pay networks. Makes sense.

I got an HDTV indoor antenna a few weeks ago. The idea seemed so cold war archaic, but my goodness. It picks up like 56 channels. All locals channels. I downloaded an app that acts as my tv guide. It a wonderful fall back and the antenna was 30 bucks. No monthly bill.

For live tv the real options are YouTube, sling, Hulu and fubo. Sling the cheapest, YouTube seems to have to most options and the interface is nice. I'm leaning on adding YouTube. Spectrum emailed me a "sign up with fubo" discount further pushing my conspiracy that they about to dump television. Why would they push other life tv options if they are in the live tv market?

Sorry for the rant. Ive been invested in this topic for a few months and thought Id drop my thoughts.

First, try antenna.

Sling gets you (depending on your zip code) fox and nbc. You can also purchase the red zone channel if theirs for another $10 a month. Then you get paramount plus for like $6 a month which gets you your local CBS feed. That’s all I needed yesterday.

Thursday games will be on Amazon no matter if your cord connected or not I think. Monday nights will be espn.

I roster my non live tv streaming services based on sign up specials. I got peacock for 20 dollars for the year awhile back and will finish the year then dump. Paramount same thing. I got a year and will dump. Dumped HBO when my special ran out and will pick up when I like the offer. More then likely when House of Dragon comes back. Then I can finish last season of Succession also. I like the non continuous use because it lets watchable shows add up. As a veteran I scoop up all the "we love military" deals that happen around military holidays.

Was ready to cut the cord. Set to go to FUBO,already had Prime for Thursdays. Whatever I needed to do I was ready to do. Called Spectrum to cancel,figured I'd get offered something to stay but not figuring it would be worth it. Told the Spectrum rep my plans and why I was doing it. She asked if I'd give her "a moment". Sure. She came back 2 minutes later offering everything I currentlly had,plus HBO and MAX and the top tier sports package for $20 less than what FUBO would have cost which was $40 less than I was paying. So I stayed,got more than I had before the call for $40 less a month. Maybe the recent B.S. with Disney had something to do with it,maybe I just got lucky and got a rep and supervisor in a giving mood. Either way,I'm happy.

Was ready to cut the cord. Set to go to FUBO,already had Prime for Thursdays. Whatever I needed to do I was ready to do. Called Spectrum to cancel,figured I'd get offered something to stay but not figuring it would be worth it. Told the Spectrum rep my plans and why I was doing it. She asked if I'd give her "a moment". Sure. She came back 2 minutes later offering everything I currentlly had,plus HBO and MAX and the top tier sports package for $20 less than what FUBO would have cost which was $40 less than I was paying. So I stayed,got more than I had before the call for $40 less a month. Maybe the recent B.S. with Disney had something to do with it,maybe I just got lucky and got a rep and supervisor in a giving mood. Either way,I'm happy.
Run from spectrum as fast as you can!!!!! Lol

How do I watch this

I cut the cable

I have YouTube premium

I have hulu Disney ESPN bundled

I have nfl plus

I had to get a new phone and got "free" Sunday ticket as I paid way too much for a new phone

I bought an antenna and can watch my local channels

Yet when I log in to ESPN they want 9.99 more per month?

Are you ****ting me?

How do I watch this

I cut the cable

I have YouTube premium

I have nfl plus

I had to get a new phone and got "free" Sunday ticket as I paid way too much for a new phone

Are you ****ting me?
That seems weird. I thought the bundle gives you all the espn plus programming, including mnf.

The game is on abc though also

How do I watch this

I cut the cable

I have YouTube premium

I have nfl plus

Are you ****ting me?
That seems weird. I thought the bundle gives you all the espn plus programming, including mnf.

The game is on abc though also
Thank you. Watching on ABC

The NFL has no idea how strongly worded a letter they just avoided

Not now,I'm paying $40 less a month,getting all the sports/footbal I want and getting more entertainment options.

Yeah it's a no brainer. I know they offer the Sunday Ticket to non subscribers but the price is cheaper if you subscribe plus the incentive of not having a local game or two blacked out is reason enough.

Not now,I'm paying $40 less a month,getting all the sports/footbal I want and getting more entertainment options.
You mean the red zone channel? You're not getting the games thru spectrum.

You mean the red zone channel? You're not getting the games thru spectrum.
I get Red Zone through the sports subscription. I get whatever ESPN,ABC,NBC,CBS broadcast. My only "extra" getting Amazon Prime to get Thursday Night games.

Use StreamEast until someone shuts it down.
It's not your job to track down whether streams are legit or not. Many Smart TVs have a browser

Users who are viewing this thread