What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Danny woodhead (2 Viewers)

Really troubled by his decreased workload. Chargers are shifting their focus to get the ball to Mathews and it's showing up in the statlines. I was banking on Woodhead as a high floor RB2 in PPR, but now he's looking more like a risky RB3 or flex play, and not much upside at that. If things don't change, I don't see myself ever trusting him in my lineup after pretty much riding him every week this season but his bye week. :Sad banana: to see the dropoff in Woodhead's use.

I moved him to Flex when Vereen came back, and I'm likely benching him for Weeks 15 and 16 (I have a bye for 14) thanks to the decreased workload - I've got Spiller, Keenan Allen, Burleson, Donald Brown and Jordan Reed competing for the spot . Kinda sad because I used him almost every week leading up to the playoffs.

I think that rotoblurb is a little misleading.

he had 2 spike weeks during the season where he basically supplanted matthews, but outside of those average skewing weeks his field time is the same as it ever was, as david byrne might say.

it's true, however, that he's lost some targets and a few touches, but on the flip side you could say he's got 3 td in the last 4 games, while only scoring 4 in the previous 7

the guy's currently rb8 in one of my ppr leagues -- I think you might be spoiled.

Good article. Woodhead appears to be undervalued right now and he's a great guy to snag if you go with an upside down strategy. He has zero trade value but I'm betting he outscores a lot of guys in PPR. I could see him ending up being a very nice flex option or RB3. I'm betting he sneaks his way into the top 25 for RBs no matter what Gordon does.

His value with the Gates injury is going to be nice early in the season as well. I could see him as a guy who comes bursting out of the Gates with one of those 5-35 / 6-60 -1 games right off the bat against the Lions. In MFL I have him and I keep looking at his number from last season where he scored a grand total of 12.2 fantasy points. Yikes. However when you look a little closer, you see he basically got skunked by Arizona in Week 1. Ok that happens. He rebounded with a 10 point game against Seattle in Week 2. Then got hurt right away in Week 3.

I have a feeling Woodhead, if he stays healthy like he did in 2013, ends up with north of 180 fantasy points. Which would have stuck him right in the 19-20 range last season. That's about right for him. But you can get him for peanuts because he's old, small, and coming off injury. Great RB3 and perfect RB4 in dynasty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

The Union-Tribune San Diego's Michael Gehlken expects Danny Woodhead to remain "a cog" for the Chargers "on third down and in the passing game."

Woodhead missed most of last season with a severe ankle/fibula fracture, but was healthy at OTAs and by all accounts looked sharp. Although the Chargers invested a top-15 pick into Melvin Gordon, the rookie is expected to focus on early downs while Woodhead fills his usual "Sproles Role" for Philip Rivers. Woodhead caught 76 balls in 2013, finishing as a top-13 PPR back.

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego
Jul 23 - 11:11 AM

Woodhead scored 225 fantasy points in 2013. He's going to do the same this season. I was seeing him rated like RB36+ or so. That's crazy. He's a perfect RB3 right now with serious RB2 upside.

225 is pretty much what Lamar Miller scored last season, and more points than CJ Anderson, Jeremy Hill, Mark Ingram, Alfred Morris, Frank Gore.

If healthy, there is virtually no way he puts less points than guys like Devonte Freeman or Joquie Bell. I'm thinking more along the lines of Ameer Abdullah (probably more than Ameer) and Latavius Murray and Carlos Hyde.

PPR of course.

I have Woodhead as a RB2 with RB3 price tag. Been able to get him even cheaper than that a couple times, including an auction draft this past weekend for 2.6% of my budget...

I have Woodhead as a RB2 with RB3 price tag. Been able to get him even cheaper than that a couple times, including an auction draft this past weekend for 2.6% of my budget...
Picked him up as my #5 in the 13th round(12 team)

#3 production would make me pop a boner

It helps a lot that Woodhead has looked really great and Gordon has looked pretty mediocre.

I could see his role being even bigger than in 2013 when Mathews lost out of 2 minute offense snaps and some of the goal line work.

Even if he just keeps his role, he's got huge value. I don't see his role reducing. Age and injuries are the worries with him. Not reduced role.

Woodhead just dropped in my 12 team league for Owen Daniels by the Julius Thomas owner.
Either Woodhead or Daniels in FA in a 12 teamer makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Short benches and not a lot of guys carry 2 tight ends in our league because of that makes Daniels available. Woodhead being dropped seems crazy, especially in that now that I look he was dropped by the Melvin Gordon owner. Absolutely nuts, but I'm running back starved due to injury at the moment so will happily attempt to scoop Woodhead up off waivers.

JIslander said:
Somehow got him last night as 43rd RB in 12 team non-ppr --
Yeah that non-ppr thing is going to hurt his value. Hope you view him as a bye week filler. What is he your RB4? Rb3?

Woodhead is unappreciated and he is indeed a PPR asset. But I'm starting to wonder if he's still better than a lot of the rookie RBs this year that may have a chance for more playing time - Duke Johnson, David Johnson, Tevin Coleman. Aren't the Johnsons also slated for 3rd down work? And Coleman seems to be in a 50-50 timeshare? I guess maybe you know what you have with Woodhead. But the rookies could potentially bring you much more.

Well, if you look at pretty much any rankings, FBGs included, they actually have Abdullah in the low RB2s, sometimes borderline RB2/3. But Woodhead as a borderline RB3/4. Abdullah is the only one I would consider in contention with Woodheads ADP - I've been able to get both pretty easily.

In '13 Woodhad had 86 targets for 76 catches.

But for some reason, I haven't seen any rankings where they have Woodhead catching more than 57 balls.

Woodhead is unappreciated and he is indeed a PPR asset. But I'm starting to wonder if he's still better than a lot of the rookie RBs this year that may have a chance for more playing time - Duke Johnson, David Johnson, Tevin Coleman. Aren't the Johnsons also slated for 3rd down work? And Coleman seems to be in a 50-50 timeshare? I guess maybe you know what you have with Woodhead. But the rookies could potentially bring you much more.
maybe but you list 3 guys who may or may not be better. Let's put it this way, wood head scored 225 fantasy points last time he was healthy. That more than Hill did last year by a full game. It's 90 points more than the second place rookie (Tre) did.

Woodhead will be better than Gordon, straight up. And it won't be close.

Also, Stevie J will outscore Keenan Allen.

The Bolts are the most misunderstood team in all of FF.

Woodhead will be better than Gordon, straight up. And it won't be close.

Also, Stevie J will outscore Keenan Allen.

The Bolts are the most misunderstood team in all of FF.
This. The Gordon owner in my league drafted Woodhead, but just dropped him for TE depth.

I'm not sure how you can put that much faith in a rookie RB.

Big week but I think this is kind of going to be the norm for Woodhead. 22.2 fantasy points. He did it the same way he did in 2013, a few rushes, a few catches, and a few touchdowns.

But alas I did not start him. He was benched in favor of Marshawn and Demarco. But this isn't going to be a slam dunk every week.

Big week but I think this is kind of going to be the norm for Woodhead. 22.2 fantasy points. He did it the same way he did in 2013, a few rushes, a few catches, and a few touchdowns.

But alas I did not start him. He was benched in favor of Marshawn and Demarco. But this isn't going to be a slam dunk every week.
your team is going to be having problems if you get to the point where you're considering starting woodhead over those guys...

Hes gonna be a low end RB1 all year because he is the 3rd down back, the no huddle back (for a team that uses it a ton), the red zone back, and apparently even the goalline back.

thecardiackid said:
on the bench for crowell. will not happen again...
Oh no. I don't often armchair another owner's decisions but that's not a good move. Oh well, lesson learned and move on. Woodhead is a legit Top 20 (maybe top 15) play most weeks. Nice RB2.

I'm always curious about the "sell high" aspect of players like woodhead. Let's play a quick game. Would you trade away Woodhead for:

Lesean McCoy?

Joe Randle?

Gio Bernard?

Bishop Sankey?

Latavius Murray?

Because I tend to think he outscores all those guys.

I'm always curious about the "sell high" aspect of players like woodhead. Let's play a quick game. Would you trade away Woodhead for:

Lesean McCoy?

Joe Randle?

Gio Bernard?

Bishop Sankey?

Latavius Murray?

Because I tend to think he outscores all those guys.
Good question. I have Murray as my #2 currently and am wondering if Woodhead should supplant even though this is non ppr. I need go watch that SD game to see how he was used.

Flex'd him. Expecting some ups and downs, but if he remains the redzone RB, I like his chances at RB2.

Have a feeling he'll lose some of those snaps to Gordon as the season wears on. Oliver also snaked a catch and run and will get a few snaps. RB3 when it's all said and done, but great value where he was drafted.

You can't sell a player like Woodhead because the name recognition isn't there and average fantasy players don't take him seriously. Chances are that you ended up with him because no one else in your draft understood his PPR greatness or likelihood for goal line chances and let him slide.

It's no different than trying to trade Bradshaw last season when he was a top six back. The production is there but everyone dismisses it as a flash in the pan, even when the good points happen every week. Just not a sexy name.

If you're set at RB and looking to improve another position on your team all you can do is trade one of your top round RBs and keep Woodhead. You're probably stuck with him, but that's not a bad thing at all.

Users who are viewing this thread