What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daylight Saving Time ends this Sunday. Set your clock back. (1 Viewer)

I swear I thought they voted NOT to do this any more?
I swear I heard politicians say that after such and such we're done with this and yet it still keeps happening

-Guess it was shot down at some point, this is absurd
There were discussions but I think it ended with the leave it alone. There are implications in that most software already adjusts for it, so there would be a decent amount of updates to be done. They probably realized it and just said F it, not worth the trouble right now.

I am not yelling at you, but as opposed to the problems it causes people with mental health and other disorders.
I got you, just saying that the politicians caught wind of all the why do we do this complaining and jumped on it. They then realized it was bigger than a breadbox and swept it back under the rug since the Facebook posts on it stopped.
And they also were eliminating the wrong time change iirc.
Correct, as far as studies show regarding the downsides of the 2 time changes on sleep cycles.

Never really mattered to me. I wake up to the sun, never use an alarm.

I am a major proponent of > 9 pm sunsets in summer and < 9 am sunrises in winter. It's a states thing and should always be a states thing :banned:

Edit- is that really the emoji for banned :lmao:

I am a major proponent of > 9 pm sunsets in summer and < 9 am sunrises in winter. It's a states thing and should always be a states thing :banned:

Edit- is that really the emoji for banned :lmao:
Summer days are so long, I don't care what you do. I'd rather it be pushed back so it's not light at 5am, but overall, don't care.

But I HATE winter days that are dark by 5pm. That's why I hate the upcoming time change. I'm fine with it being dark however late in the morning.

I swear I heard politicians say that after such and such we're done with this and yet it still keeps happening

There were discussions but I think it ended with the leave it alone. There are implications in that most software already adjusts for it, so there would be a decent amount of updates to be done. They probably realized it and just said F it, not worth the trouble right now.

I am not yelling at you, but as opposed to the problems it causes people with mental health and other disorders.
I got you, just saying that the politicians caught wind of all the why do we do this complaining and jumped on it. They then realized it was bigger than a breadbox and swept it back under the rug since the Facebook posts on it stopped.
And they also were eliminating the wrong time change iirc.
Correct, as far as studies show regarding the downsides of the 2 time changes on sleep cycles.

Never really mattered to me. I wake up to the sun, never use an alarm.

In my extremely small sample size it is more than the sleep patterns. My husband's entire internal clock is thrown off for months. He doesn't come out of his funk until mid January when you can see the days actually getting longer.

I vote for combining the Pacific and Mountain time zones into a single one permanently on Pacific Daylight Time, and combining the Central and Eastern time zones into one on only Central Daylight Time year round.

I vote for combining the Pacific and Mountain time zones into a single one permanently on Pacific Daylight Time, and combining the Central and Eastern time zones into one on only Central Daylight Time year round.
Seems like that could really screw the people living in border towns. There’s not that many people on those borders, but a two hour difference for going a few miles would suck. We lived in Alabama and worked in Georgia for a year, the town we lived in thankfully used eastern time on a de facto basis.

The only good things about the time change is for school buses and running in the morning.

In my extremely small sample size it is more than the sleep patterns. My husband's entire internal clock is thrown off for months. He doesn't come out of his funk until mid January when you can see the days actually getting longer.
sounds like seasonal affective disorder which isn’t really about the time change, it’s more about getting natural light. https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/seasonal-affective-disorder
I deal with the same and find for me the best treatment is getting out for a walk at lunch and after work before the Sun sets. I switch my schedule to give me an extra hour after work in the winter.

Well, no. The future contains more software than the present. "Most software" hasn't been written yet. If we dump DST it might take some updates to modify existing software, but no worse than when they adjusted DST's start/end dates. Keeping DST just complicates new software development going forward. I'm a software developer who would rather we just rip off the band aid ASAP.

ETA: FWIW...and I recognize I am in an extreme minority on this one...I'd also like to get rid of time zones!
agree. 3 hours? split the difference and let’s go!

side note, i have a presence in italy due to my property etc….they turn their clocks back this weekend, so we have that 1 week gap (same in spring) when trying to figure out what time it is, when my online class is, etc. is crazy.

Yeah, I have daily Zoom calls with Italy and it’s always a major pain coordinating during this week.

Wouldn’t affect me much being on the far west edge of ET, but would mean sunrise at 4am on the east coast during summer

Well, no. The future contains more software than the present. "Most software" hasn't been written yet. If we dump DST it might take some updates to modify existing software, but no worse than when they adjusted DST's start/end dates. Keeping DST just complicates new software development going forward. I'm a software developer who would rather we just rip off the band aid ASAP.

ETA: FWIW...and I recognize I am in an extreme minority on this one...I'd also like to get rid of time zones!
agree. 3 hours? split the difference and let’s go!

side note, i have a presence in italy due to my property etc….they turn their clocks back this weekend, so we have that 1 week gap (same in spring) when trying to figure out what time it is, when my online class is, etc. is crazy.

Yeah, I have daily Zoom calls with Italy and it’s always a major pain coordinating during this week.
This… except Estonia and UK instead of Italy for me. But at least they’re an hour later for the next week #SleepIn :zzz:

Wouldn’t affect me much being on the far west edge of ET, but would mean sunrise at 4am on the east coast during summer
Holy crap that would suck. I tend to watch Dodgers games and those don't end til well past midnight when they're playing on the west coast. Asleep after 0100 and awake with the sun at 0400 wouldn't be much fun. We're not as far east here as eastern Maine/NE and the earliest sunrise here is 0545 so it would be 0445.

What's the rationale for this? This sounds like the worst thing ever for the folks getting really early daylight.

Discussion of this topic always frustrates me. There are valid benefits/concerns on both sides. In situations like this, I always recommend we do it my way.

So there we have it. Eliminate "standard" time... stay on daylight time going forward. Problem solved.

It's still dark at 7am here. Not liking that. I'm looking forward to DST ending. I do like the 30 min compromise - might be best for everyone.

It's still dark at 7am here. Not liking that. I'm looking forward to DST ending. I do like the 30 min compromise - might be best for everyone.
Fine with me as long as we leave it. Spring forward 30 minutes and fall back 30 minutes is just as dumb.

So I’ll compromise… fall back 30 minutes next weekend and never adjust again. Done.
Hmmm… now that I’m making all the rules, I just realized that a 30 minute compromise would be problematic in that our clocks would be 30 minutes off from other time zones across the globe. I know that places like India do this and it works for them, but it bothers me so I’m out.

Fine with me as long as we leave it. Spring forward 30 minutes and fall back 30 minutes is just as dumb.

So I’ll compromise… fall back 30 minutes next weekend and never adjust again. Done.
Might have to declare a national holiday for Monday to allow some people extra time to do the math.

Hmmm… now that I’m making all the rules, I just realized that a 30 minute compromise would be problematic in that our clocks would be 30 minutes off from other time zones across the globe. I know that places like India do this and it works for them, but it bothers me so I’m out.
Newfoundland has this also, seems like a PITA.

Thank the (clock)maker for spring forward. I might actually get an hour more of sleep.

I'm not sure that I have any clocks that won't do this on their own
Microwave? Oven? Coffee pot? Those are the ones I gotta change.
mine are all connected to a central processor that also starts my car at 7:15 AM, turns on my shower precisely at 7:30 AM, radio at 8, lamps in the bedroom at 10. it also tunes in my favorite shows and plays them when i trigger the sensor in my couch by siting down.

just now the blinds in my living room tilted to keep the sun from blinding me.

i plan to be fully automated and living without independent thought or action by 2031.

Users who are viewing this thread