What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DeAngelo Hall to the Raiders (1 Viewer)

First, the off-season signings or trades mean that Schweigert and either Routt or Washington could be moved for picks, or could be worked into a picks and players trade.

Second, some people indicated that this means that the Raiders are going to draft a DT. I really think that the Raiders are going to throw Kelly, Warren, Sands and newly signed William Joseph at the problem and see if anythign sticks. While they could take a DT, but Al Davis is more likely to take a DE if he drafts defensive line. The Raiders seem to like DT/DE tweeners. Anybody for Chris Long?

The other obvious thing to do, especially since releasing Barry Sims, is if Jake Long is on the board, and the pick cannot be traded, is to set up LT with Jake Long. Sure, if McFadden is there there is a sexiness to that, but will it solve any of the team's problems? McFadden is not a blocker, and not a pass catcher from what I understand. If you have someone in the backfield for the Raiders, you have to be a good blocker and outlet. Raider QBs need blockers and outlets badly. The line is not good enough to tolerate a back who is not going to pitch in effectively.

First, the off-season signings or trades mean that Schweigert and either Routt or Washington could be moved for picks, or could be worked into a picks and players trade.

Second, some people indicated that this means that the Raiders are going to draft a DT. I really think that the Raiders are going to throw Kelly, Warren, Sands and newly signed William Joseph at the problem and see if anythign sticks. While they could take a DT, but Al Davis is more likely to take a DE if he drafts defensive line. The Raiders seem to like DT/DE tweeners. Anybody for Chris Long?

The other obvious thing to do, especially since releasing Barry Sims, is if Jake Long is on the board, and the pick cannot be traded, is to set up LT with Jake Long. Sure, if McFadden is there there is a sexiness to that, but will it solve any of the team's problems? McFadden is not a blocker, and not a pass catcher from what I understand. If you have someone in the backfield for the Raiders, you have to be a good blocker and outlet. Raider QBs need blockers and outlets badly. The line is not good enough to tolerate a back who is not going to pitch in effectively.
Jake Long scares me. Of all the names I hear attached to Oakland's pick, he worries me the most. Why? According to Pat Kirwin, several GMs he's spoken with are convinced Long is nothing more than a career right tackle. The 1.04 pick is too high for that. You need to get a franchise LEFT tackle with that pick. However, if you guaranteed me Jake Long would have a career at right tackle similar to that of Jon Runyan (180 consecutive starts and Pro Bowl-level play), then I'd probably have to think twice about it.I think we're going Chris Long if he's there, or McFadden if Al wants to make a splash.

I would be shocked if William Joseph makes it to Week 1. Horrible player. The Giants had noone at D Tackle and still cut him.Kelly, who is their best guy, is coming off a serious knee injury. Warren is a decent rotation guy, as is Sands. They need a franchise D Tackle. Dorsey can be the guy. I like the Chris Long pick, but I just don't see him slipping.

Ro3384 said:
Why is everyone hating so much on the Raiders?

Yes they gave Walker way too much...

Yes they will probably pay Hall way too much...

But what do you expect them to do, low ball players??? Oakland has been AWFUL since Rich Gannon and their Superbowl run. That's what you need to do to get good players to come to a crummy team, offer them a LOT more than they'd get elsewhere.

Yes, they need a pass rush... but what would you say if they went out and traded for Jason Taylor and signed Kearse? "Oh they need a defensive back... blah blah blah"

Why all the hate? They are making PROGRESS and they are making their team BETTER.

I hate the Raiders as much as the next guy, but I can admit when a team has made moves to make themselves better. Yes, I do believe Walker's condition is not going to allow him to return to elite form, that's the physical therapist side of me. But, at the very least they've got a WR who can contribute. He may be damaged goods, but he makes their offense better. Moreover, Hall makes their defense better. Perhaps by getting a very good cornerback, they can focus more of their defensive calls to cause pressure on the QB.

Now let's say they trade for Pacman Jones? They'd have the best 2 corner combo in the league. Then let's say they sign Kearse. Or okay, instead of what ifs with specific players because I know some smart as s will come in here saying "oh what if they traded for Tom Brady" or something else impossible. But let's just stop and think that maybe they aren't done quite yet in the FA market.

And let's not forget, they hold a top 5 pick in the draft... Glenn Dorsey could very possibly slip to them, allowing them to address this pass rush you speak of
Well, if they get Hall, then they would ALREADY have the best CB tandem in the league......Asomugha is the BEST CB in the NFL....bar none....Raiders named CB Nnamdi Asomugha their franchise player.

The cornerback tender is $9,465,000. Asomugha didn't repeat his eight-pick performance from 2006 last year, but that was because opponents rarely tested the 26-year-old. Through the first 14 weeks, only 27 passes were thrown at the Raiders' left corner. Nine of the attempts were complete.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
Part of the reason why they did not test him is they were too busy running against us. We need to shore up our run D.
this is why i said those dbs better know how to tackle.

As a Falcons fan, I'm happy with the 2nd for DHall. I've watched every game since he's been in Atlanta, and he is a good corner...but he isn't nearly the corner he thinks he is. He isn't a "shut down" back by any means and certainly isn't worth that kind of jack. Not the kind of guy I would want to be in a foxhole with either. He is way more interested in personal success than that of the team. Not the most emotionally stable guy either, very emotional and pouts when things don't go his way.

I would be shocked if William Joseph makes it to Week 1. Horrible player. The Giants had noone at D Tackle and still cut him.Kelly, who is their best guy, is coming off a serious knee injury. Warren is a decent rotation guy, as is Sands. They need a franchise D Tackle. Dorsey can be the guy. I like the Chris Long pick, but I just don't see him slipping.
I think there is a decent chance that Chris Long does fall. Miami has so many needs they could go a lot of directions including Chris Long but Ryan makes sense too as does Jake Long. Chances are it is Chris Long though but there is enough doubt to hope. If Miami takes anyone other than Jake Long, I am confident that the Rams take Jake Long. So then we have to look at the Falcons. I think there is a good chance they look at Dorsey. Regardless, I see it almost a lock that the Raiders have a shot at Chris Long or Dorsey. If we do not find a trade down partner (likely someone who wants McFadden... say the Cowboys?) then we take Chris Long. If he is gone, then we take Dorsey. Either one would be a huge addition to a young D that is on the verge of being a top D. Take that with another year under Cable's coaching for the O-line and Fargas, Bush, and Rhodes then you have a solid running game. That is a recipe to win games.

To those who question this deal based on money, it is worth noting the deal is not complete and the reason for that is the contract negoitations. Hall may want Asante Samuel type money but that does not mean the Raiders will give him that type of money. To judge this trade on money, we need to wait it out and see if it A: goes through and B: for what money.

As a pure trade of draft picks for Hall. As I have stated through this thread, I believe it is a good move for the Raiders.

I still say that if Chris Long is off the board, I really think the Raiders are going to take Vernon Gohlston. He is what Al salivates over, a pure athlete. Plus the Raiders could use help with the pass rush.

I still say that if Chris Long is off the board, I really think the Raiders are going to take Vernon Gohlston. He is what Al salivates over, a pure athlete. Plus the Raiders could use help with the pass rush.
They need more help in the run D than they do the pass rush. Chris Long is a much better run defender and does not lose all that much off of being a pass rusher from Gholston (if any considering they both ended with 14 sacks in their last college season). Further, the legacy of being Howie's kid is a strong attraction and you have to think that it ought to make contract negoitations easier. Gholston has to be #3 on their draft board. If Chris Long and Dorsey are on the board and they go Gholston, I will not be a happy Raiders fan.

They need more help in the run D than they do the pass rush. Chris Long is a much better run defender and does not lose all that much off of being a pass rusher from Gholston (if any considering they both ended with 14 sacks in their last college season). Further, the legacy of being Howie's kid is a strong attraction and you have to think that it ought to make contract negoitations easier. Gholston has to be #3 on their draft board. If Chris Long and Dorsey are on the board and they go Gholston, I will not be a happy Raiders fan.
Long is a superior two way player to Gholston. I said in another thread, he reminds me alot of Aaron Kampman, but alot more polished than Kampman when he came out of Iowa. If Long is there and they take Gholston over him, it would be a complete shock.

As a Falcons fan, I'm happy with the 2nd for DHall. I've watched every game since he's been in Atlanta, and he is a good corner...but he isn't nearly the corner he thinks he is. He isn't a "shut down" back by any means and certainly isn't worth that kind of jack. Not the kind of guy I would want to be in a foxhole with either. He is way more interested in personal success than that of the team. Not the most emotionally stable guy either, very emotional and pouts when things don't go his way.
Welcome back, Charles. :hey:

A little late to this party. Here's what I (think) I know.

The deal is reportedly for a second AND a sixth in 2008. AJC and Sirius.

Giants nixed the deal with Atlanta, not Atlanta, IIRC. Probably due to Hall's salary demands.

Hall, though denying the trade, was reportedly in Oakland over the weekend.

Trade is still not official.

If it does go down, I'm ok with the 2nd and 6th. The more I think about it, as good as Hall is, we can pick someone close enough in the second and build a pass rush to take the pressure off the secondary. So, I like the move.

I read some place that Nnamdi Asomugha has not signed the tender offer yet.

What happens if this is true, can he be traded?

I ask because one of the Giants beat writer’s has said that the Giants really want Nnamdi Asomugha and that if Hall is signed they may be able to trade for him.

If I'm the Falcons, I wait until the 2nd to take a QB now. Take one of Ellis or Dorsey with your first picks and then target either Henne or Flacco in the 2nd (or even trade up into the 1st for a falling QB). With the other two 2nd's, take two offensive linemen.

If I'm the Falcons, I wait until the 2nd to take a QB now. Take one of Ellis or Dorsey with your first picks and then target either Henne or Flacco in the 2nd (or even trade up into the 1st for a falling QB). With the other two 2nd's, take two offensive linemen.
I agree, but what about this deal makes you say "I wait until the 2nd to take a QB now". Did something about this deal change something in your mind?

I agree, but what about this deal makes you say "I wait until the 2nd to take a QB now". Did something about this deal change something in your mind?
It has been widely speculated that they may take Ryan with their first rounder (I don't think it would be a terrible mistake for them to take either Ryan or Brohm with their 1st).With three picks in the first two rounds, I think the course of action would likely be QB/OL/DL. But with that extra pick it gives them more latitude to do something like DL/QB/OLx2.

I guess I'm trying to say that the extra 2nd allows them to still get a good QB while filling other needs at the same time where without it, it forces their hand a bit into really thinking about a QB first.

It has been widely speculated that they may take Ryan with their first rounder (I don't think it would be a terrible mistake for them to take either Ryan or Brohm with their 1st).With three picks in the first two rounds, I think the course of action would likely be QB/OL/DL. But with that extra pick it gives them more latitude to do something like DL/QB/OLx2.

I guess I'm trying to say that the extra 2nd allows them to still get a good QB while filling other needs at the same time where without it, it forces their hand a bit into really thinking about a QB first.
Ok, I see where you're headed with it now, makes sense. I've always thought they were going to pass on Ryan at number 3, and still wouldn't be surprised if they made every effort to deal that pick on draft day. But, I'm definitely in the "Trust Dimitroff until he proves otherwise" camp so, if we draft Ryan, mail me the jersey and a gallon of kool-aid.

Chadstroma said:
Getinthemix said:
I said if Chris Long was off the board. He is a better prospect than Gholston, so you obviously take him. When he is gone, I think they take Gholston.

Chadstroma said:
Getinthemix said:
I said if Chris Long was off the board. He is a better prospect than Gholston, so you obviously take him. When he is gone, I think they take Gholston.
If Chris Long is off the board and there is a choice of Dorsey or Gholston the right move is Dorsey. He will instantly shore up the run D and that is what we need above anything else on D. Gholston will do nothing to help us defend against the run.

DeAngelo Hall-DB- Falcons Mar. 17 - 4:05 pm et

ESPN's John Clayton reports the contract DeAngelo Hall is expected to sign after he's acquired by Oakland will be for six years and over $50 million.

Nnamdi Asomugha is going to want (and deserve) at least that. Asante Samuel's with the Eagles was for six years and $57.14 million. Clayton says Raiders owner Al Davis is pulling out all the stops to make this deal a reality.

Related: Raiders

:shrug:

Al is selling his soul to win now at all costs....i guess he figures he wont be alive much longer and wants to win before he kicks the bucket....but he is setting the team up for serious cap issues down the road...IMO

If the Falcons would smart, they would take the best player available in each round. Reaching for a qb just because you need 1 is not wise. They need a lot of talent. Wasting a 2nd round pick on a qb because of a need would be stupid. If they really love a qb there, then they should take him. If not they need to take whoever is highest on their draft board.

DeAngelo Hall-DB- Falcons Mar. 17 - 4:05 pm et ESPN's John Clayton reports the contract DeAngelo Hall is expected to sign after he's acquired by Oakland will be for six years and over $50 million.Nnamdi Asomugha is going to want (and deserve) at least that. Asante Samuel's with the Eagles was for six years and $57.14 million. Clayton says Raiders owner Al Davis is pulling out all the stops to make this deal a reality.Related: Raiders :lmao: Al is selling his soul to win now at all costs....i guess he figures he wont be alive much longer and wants to win before he kicks the bucket....but he is setting the team up for serious cap issues down the road...IMO
And you know that how? Remember during the Raiders playoff and Super Bowl teams... they were slated to be 40 million or something other insane sum over the cap, but you know what it never affected them? They just restructured/cut players to get back under.The NFL salary cap isn't a fixed cap like the NBA... good front offices can get around it. That's why I don't care what Al is paying these men as there aren't any big name FA out there anymore... I just care about the talent staying and coming in.

Shefter is reporting talks have stalled, as the Raiders and Hall are having trouble agreeing to a deal.

Fine with this Raider fan. Let's give that money to Scrabble, and keep our 2nd rounder.

DeAngelo Hall-DB- Falcons Mar. 17 - 4:05 pm et ESPN's John Clayton reports the contract DeAngelo Hall is expected to sign after he's acquired by Oakland will be for six years and over $50 million.Nnamdi Asomugha is going to want (and deserve) at least that. Asante Samuel's with the Eagles was for six years and $57.14 million. Clayton says Raiders owner Al Davis is pulling out all the stops to make this deal a reality.Related: Raiders :goodposting: Al is selling his soul to win now at all costs....i guess he figures he wont be alive much longer and wants to win before he kicks the bucket....but he is setting the team up for serious cap issues down the road...IMO
And you know that how? Remember during the Raiders playoff and Super Bowl teams... they were slated to be 40 million or something other insane sum over the cap, but you know what it never affected them? They just restructured/cut players to get back under.The NFL salary cap isn't a fixed cap like the NBA... good front offices can get around it. That's why I don't care what Al is paying these men as there aren't any big name FA out there anymore... I just care about the talent staying and coming in.
Ummmm...i dont know this...hence the IMO=in my opinion

Deal essentially done. From PFT:

DEANGELO DEAL DONEPosted by Michael David Smith on March 18, 2008, 2:19 p.m. Steve Wyche of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the much-anticipated Falcons-Raiders trade for cornerback DeAngelo Hall is essentially done.The teams had already agreed that Atlanta would receive Oakland’s second- and sixth-round picks in the NFL draft, but the holdup had been whether the Raiders and Hall could reach an agreement on a long-term contract extension. Hall tells Wyche that the deal will get done.“There is just some tweaking of the language that needs to be done, some minor details,” Hall said of contract negotiations. “No deal breakers.”Hall said he is planning to fly to Oakland tomorrow to sign the contract. No details of the contract have been released, but it appears that the Raiders have given in to Hall’s financial demands, which other teams had balked at.It’s not known where the Raiders’ negotiations with cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha stand, but if Asomugha were to sign his franchise tender, Oakland could line up the most expensive pair of cornerbacks in NFL history in 2008.Thanks to the trade with the Raiders and a previous trade with the Houston Texans for quarterback Matt Schaub, the Falcons will have four of the first 48 picks in this year’s draft — their own first- and second-round picks and the Texans’ and Raiders’ second-round picks.

This better not screw up the negotiations with Aso.
:confused: I like this deal for the combo at CB it gives us. If we get Hall but lose Aso then I really do not understand why we did it. We could give Aso the money and keep our draft picks instead. Aso, Hall, Gibril, and Huff is one heck of a fast and good secondary. If we get some run stoppers on the line then Burgess should have a field day in sacks along with more blitz packages for our LB's to put pressure on. But having a great secondary will not mean anything if we let people run on us all day long.

Man this defense would look good if they took Sedrick Ellis. :angry:
Even the Raiders can't possibly screw up this pick.Ellis - I'd be very happy with itC. Long - I'd be extremely pleasedDorsey - I'm fine with itGholston - I'm fine with itJ. Long - I'm not sold on him, but I'll buy into itMcFadden - Not a big need, but I can see how he'd be temptingIf Al takes Art Carmody at 1.04, I'm burning off my Raiders tattoo. :shrug:

Man this defense would look good if they took Sedrick Ellis. ;)
Even the Raiders can't possibly screw up this pick.Ellis - I'd be very happy with itC. Long - I'd be extremely pleasedDorsey - I'm fine with itGholston - I'm fine with itJ. Long - I'm not sold on him, but I'll buy into itMcFadden - Not a big need, but I can see how he'd be temptingIf Al takes Art Carmody at 1.04, I'm burning off my Raiders tattoo. :thumbup:
They really can't make a bad pick can they? Heck, even if he took Keith Rivers about 10 spots too early, at least he'd be a difference maker on that defense.

Man this defense would look good if they took Sedrick Ellis. :X
Even the Raiders can't possibly screw up this pick.Ellis - I'd be very happy with itC. Long - I'd be extremely pleasedDorsey - I'm fine with itGholston - I'm fine with itJ. Long - I'm not sold on him, but I'll buy into itMcFadden - Not a big need, but I can see how he'd be temptingIf Al takes Art Carmody at 1.04, I'm burning off my Raiders tattoo. :)
You would rather have Ellis than Dorsey? I think you rank them for the Raiders: C.Long, Dorsey, Ellis, and Gholston.

Man this defense would look good if they took Sedrick Ellis. :link:
Even the Raiders can't possibly screw up this pick.Ellis - I'd be very happy with it

C. Long - I'd be extremely pleased

Dorsey - I'm fine with it

Gholston - I'm fine with it

J. Long - I'm not sold on him, but I'll buy into it

McFadden - Not a big need, but I can see how he'd be tempting

If Al takes Art Carmody at 1.04, I'm burning off my Raiders tattoo. :)
They really can't make a bad pick can they? Heck, even if he took Keith Rivers about 10 spots too early, at least he'd be a difference maker on that defense.
I'm not sure Rivers has a good enough body to be an NFL linebacker.http://boifromtroy.com/wp-content/0306keithrivers.jpg

:X

Even the Raiders can't possibly screw up this pick.Ellis - I'd be very happy with it

If Al takes Art Carmody at 1.04, I'm burning off my Raiders tattoo. :thumbup:
You would rather have Ellis than Dorsey? I think you rank them for the Raiders: C.Long, Dorsey, Ellis, and Gholston.
I'm in the minority, but I'd rather have Ellis, yes. He abused other top OL draft choices at the Senior Bowl.

I'm not sure Rivers has a good enough body to be an NFL linebacker.

http://boifromtroy.com/wp-content/0306keithrivers.jpg

:P
I can't tell - is he the guy in front or back?
Just in case you're being serious, he's the shirtless fellow.
He has more muscle in his lats than I do in the rest of my body. I would not want him tackling me. :angry:
Do you mean his traps? His lats are out of view.No wonder you are a 98 lb. weakling. ;)

If Al takes Art Carmody at 1.04, I'm burning off my Raiders tattoo. :penalty:
:hifive:

;)
He has more muscle in his lats than I do in the rest of my body. I would not want him tackling me. :hifive:
Do you mean his traps? His lats are out of view.
Those too.
No wonder you are a 98 lb. weakling. ;)
I protest! I am a 190lb weakling! :penalty:

Last edited by a moderator:
Raider Nation said:

:lmao:
He has more muscle in his lats than I do in the rest of my body. I would not want him tackling me. :lmao:
Do you mean his traps? His lats are out of view.No wonder you are a 98 lb. weakling. :popcorn:
:potkettle:

Grading The Deal: Raiders Acquire DeAngelo Hall

Andrew Perna. 17th March, 2008 - 6:29 pm

On Saturday afternoon the Raiders reached an agreement with the Falcons to acquire cornerback DeAngelo Hall in exchange for second and sixth-round picks in next month’s draft.

The trade will become official once Hall and Oakland (kinda sounds like Hall and Oates) agree to terms on a long-term contract. The two parties discussed a deal for a majority of the weekend, and appeared to be inching closer to an agreement on Tuesday morning.

The acquisition of Hall would be the second significant move for the Raiders this offseason, having signed receiver Javon Walker, formerly of the Broncos and Packers, to a lengthy deal last week.

The Raiders had a turnover deferential of minus-eleven last season, better than just three clubs in the entire league. As a team Oakland struggled defensively, giving up an average of 24.9 points per game, but they do have several above-average playmakers on that side of the ball.

Defensive end Derrick Burgess posted eight sacks last year, after tallying 27 between the 2005 and 2006 seasons. Burgess is largely considered to be one of the Raiders’ biggest playmakers, but that could all change once Hall dons silver-and-black.

Hall, a first-round pick out of Virginia Tech in 2004, notched five interceptions and a forced fumble in Atlanta last season. He is one of the best pure corners in the game today, but often times his mouth and attitude get the best of him.

With that said, the tandem of Hall and Nnamdi Asomugha will become one of the league’s toughest secondary duos next season. Asomugha has come into his own over the last five years, but his skills haven’t always been easily quantifiable.

In 2006 he created nine turnovers, including eight interceptions, but that total fell to just one last year. The reason for the reduction in picks was because opposing teams refused to throw his way more often than not.

With some help on the other side of the field, Asomugha shouldn’t have a problem increasing his interception numbers in 2008. In addition, Hall’s game and personality should fit well in Oakland. His mouth and discontent weren’t well received in Atlanta, a city that had its fair share of personnel issues over the last year, but on the West Coast it’ll be hard for him to become bigger than Raider Nation.

If Burgess and Asomugha can post 2006-like numbers with Hall on the field, it wouldn’t be hard to imagine the Raiders jumping up into the top half of the NFL’s defensive heap this fall.

However, the deal does severely alter the impact Oakland will have on draft day in late April. They hold the fourth overall pick, but won’t select in either the second or third rounds after trading for Hall and shipping a third-rounder to the Patriots last season.

It is unfortunate that the Raiders won’t be able to add a host of difference-makers through the draft, but it is extremely unlikely that they would have been able to add a player of Hall’s caliber with their second-round selection anyway. Assuming he keeps his rather large ego in check, DeAngelo’s talent could play a huge part in reversing Oakland’s recent fortunes.

The Raiders have only won nineteen games over the last five seasons, a mark the Patriots fell one shy of matching in just four months last year.

Despite their lack of picks, the possibility of taking a guy like Darren McFadden with the fourth selection, RealGM Draft expert Jeff Risdon’s latest projection, isn’t too shabby either.

Grade for the Raiders: B+

Giving up a second-rounder for Hall isn’t too steep a price, considering his talent, but their lack of picks in April’s draft could hurt Oakland in the long run. However, adding the former Atlanta cornerback could pay major dividends if the team isn’t able to retain Asomugha past next season.

Oakland placed the franchise tag on him to ensure that he’d suit up in silver-and-black in 2008, but there is no guarantee that he’ll stay long-term. Having Hall will certainly lessen the blow if Asomugha ends up jumping ship.

Grade for the Falcons: B+

It’s tough when you have to trade a player of Hall’s caliber, but Atlanta didn’t have a choice. He had become a huge distraction for the Falcons and his attitude wasn’t helping the team’s public image, which was effectively squashed in the wake of Michael Vick’s legal issues.

However, they did a great job of getting valuable draft picks in exchange for Hall, instead of settling for just a late-round selection or even opting to simply release the cornerback. It might take a few years for Arthur Blank and company to turn things around in Atlanta, but deals like these are a step in the right direction.

:popcorn:

Andrew Perna is a Senior Writer for RealGM.com.

Halls deal was just said to be worth 7 years 70 million on espn and it has been reported that it is backloaded towards the last 3 years of the contract

:unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread