What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deceptive Time Traveler (1 Viewer)

eighsse2

Footballguy
You're a time traveler, and your job is to go back (from the current time) to the preseason/offseason and deceive people with the truth.

Example: "If, after week 13, the Broncos have allowed the second fewest points in the NFL, and Russell Wilson has missed at most 1 start, ..."

]okay, okay, I'm cheating a little bit in my example, since Tampa has allowed 4 fewer than Denver, but still has to play tonight ... let's assume the Saints score at least 4 points ...]

"... what do you think their record will be?"

I guarantee 3-9 will be a very unpopular answer. Of course the person doesn't know you're a time traveler, and so has no expectation that the question is deceptive.

Weird thread, I know, but I've always found it fun to think about this kind of thing. You can take it to extremes by being extremely specific and picking out exactly what data you want (e.g., "If Atlanta loses in weeks 1, 2, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12, and 13, what will their record be after week 13?" Obviously, it seems likely that with 8 losses and 0 wins already accounted for, they'd be lucky to be 2-11, and no way they would be 5-8). But it can be fun to try to make a more concise and elegant statement that will yield very wrong conclusions.

Weird thread
Yes very much so, on many levels, one of which would be if time travel existed and you had that power you'd think you'd have a bigger agenda then duping people in fantasy football. But I think I might get you, or maybe not, but I won't leave you hanging man, lol!

If I'm following you correctly I tend to think of it as "what if I knew this information but nothing else" and how would that change opinions if this was known. For instance I was thinking to myself last week if I knew noting else abut Josh Jacobs season, only that he would heading into the first week of most of my leagues playoffs questionable with a sore calf I'd have faded him even more then I did, and been even more wrong.

So if I'm following what you are asking correctly I think I'd have just tripped people up all days on the Rams RB's. I'd tell some people, you know how McVay is saying he has two starting RB's? Well they won't bring in anyone else of note and Akers is going to be so buried in the doghouse they will send him home for a weeks and see if they can get anyone to give up anything for him in a trade during which time Henderson will be the no doubt about it clear cut top RB. Or you could go the other way and say that McVay hates Henderson so much he's going to flat cut him and make Akers the primary RB, so bump Akers.

Weird thread
Yes very much so, on many levels, one of which would be if time travel existed and you had that power you'd think you'd have a bigger agenda then duping people in fantasy football. But I think I might get you, or maybe not, but I won't leave you hanging man, lol!

If I'm following you correctly I tend to think of it as "what if I knew this information but nothing else" and how would that change opinions if this was known. For instance I was thinking to myself last week if I knew noting else abut Josh Jacobs season, only that he would heading into the first week of most of my leagues playoffs questionable with a sore calf I'd have faded him even more then I did, and been even more wrong.

So if I'm following what you are asking correctly I think I'd have just tripped people up all days on the Rams RB's. I'd tell some people, you know how McVay is saying he has two starting RB's? Well they won't bring in anyone else of note and Akers is going to be so buried in the doghouse they will send him home for a weeks and see if they can get anyone to give up anything for him in a trade during which time Henderson will be the no doubt about it clear cut top RB. Or you could go the other way and say that McVay hates Henderson so much he's going to flat cut him and make Akers the primary RB, so bump Akers.
Yeah that's spot on the kind of thing I'm talking about. Of course the time travel thing is just kind of a hypothetical framing device but yes you get the idea exactly. Like, something people might already been thinking in preseason, and evidence that supports it even more, making it seem like a home run, but it's only a small piece of a bigger picture, where it turns out the notion is actually totally off.

Another example might be ... "D'Andre Swift will be averaging 6.4 yards per touch, and 1 TD per 15 touches, over the first 12 games. He will play in 9 of those 12 games." The victim would probably think automatic start SUPERSTAR (rather than sketchy-to-solid weekly), and probably regard Jamaal Williams worthless aside from the 3 games where Swift doesn't play.

After 13 weeks, Josh Jacobs will lead the league in rushing and Davante Adams will lead all WRs in TD receptions and be top five in receiving yards. Neither the Chargers nor the Broncos have a winning record. How are the Raiders doing?

And please take this seriously, because I chose talking to you over killing Hitler. Don't worry about what I mean. Just answer the question. And by the way, did you ever see Fleetwood Mac in concert? Not yet? Oh, I'm sorry to hear that...

After 13 weeks, the jets have given up on Zach Wilson; Flacco started 3 games and Mike white 2.

Who are the AFC wild card teams?

After week 9, an AFC south team fires their head coach. Who is their new coach? I’ll even give you a Hint, he once played for the team.

After 13 weeks, Josh Jacobs will lead the league in rushing and Davante Adams will lead all WRs in TD receptions and be top five in receiving yards. Neither the Chargers nor the Broncos have a winning record. How are the Raiders doing?

And please take this seriously, because I chose talking to you over killing Hitler. Don't worry about what I mean. Just answer the question. And by the way, did you ever see Fleetwood Mac in concert? Not yet? Oh, I'm sorry to hear that...
Perfect example!

The combined record of the other three NFC South teams is 13-29. Brady is on pace to throw for 4,400 yards and the Bucs have a Top 10 defense. What's their record?

Drew Lock failed to win the Seahawks starting job and the team was forced to turn to journeyman Geno Smith. They have a bottom-three defense and have lost Rashaad Penny to a season-ending injury (and just about every other RB on the roster is currently banged up). How are they doing?

Russell Wilson has more bathrooms in his house than TD passes. How insanely big is that house?

Thirteen weeks into the season, DeShaun Watson is only eight TDs behind Russ. How many games has he played?

Titans GM Jon Robinson will be fired mid-season. What's their record and divisional standing?
this wouldn’t have been that big a shock. The other 3 teams are horrible.
Sure it would. You would think he'd been fired because the Titans must be at the bottom of the standings,. not the top.
The only reason the titans are in first right now is the division is horrible. JRob has been making bad moves and that was highlighted Sunday.

Neither the titans being in first, nor JRob being fired would be the least bit surprising alone. Together, it’s more interesting but I’m not shocked at all. 🤷

We can do even better with this one

"In 2022, the Raiders will draft RB Zamir White. Amidst trade rumors, Josh Jacobs will see significant workload in the preseason opener even though Carr, Adams, Waller, Renfrow, etc. will not play at all. In the regular season opener, he will have 10 carries. In the first three games he will have 0 TD. Do you think Jacobs will be a good value per ADP?"

"After Week 13 there's a division in football with the following records: 11-1, 9-3, 7-4-1, and 7-5-1. Which division is it?"

I'd bet most people would have thought that would be the AFC West, since Denver had signed Russ, Raiders got Adams, Chiefs were expected to still be good, Chargers were going to have a better defense and all their WRs healthy, and everyone expected it to be a highly competitive division.

This one's great. Here's a more specific pivot to trick even the most doomer Raider fans:

"The Raiders acquire Davante Adams who is top 5 in receptions and receiving yards, and first in receiving TDs. Derek Carr is healthy all season. Is the Raiders passing DVOA higher or lower in 2022 than it was in 2021?"

Titans GM Jon Robinson will be fired mid-season. What's their record and divisional standing?
Sure it would. You would think he'd been fired because the Titans must be at the bottom of the standings,. not the top.
The only reason the titans are in first right now is the division is horrible. JRob has been making bad moves and that was highlighted Sunday.

Neither the titans being in first, nor JRob being fired would be the least bit surprising alone. Together, it’s more interesting but I’m not shocked at all. 🤷
But...if you went back in time and told someone that the Titans had fired Robinson, the only way that makes sense is if they were in last place in a horrible division. They would be deceived by the truth.

But...if you went back in time and told someone that the Titans had fired Robinson, the only way that makes sense is if they were in last place in a horrible division. They would be deceived by the truth.
Regarding the point of the thread, you’re right.
But no, that’s not the only way the firing makes sense.

Both the Dolphins and Ravens will be without their starting QB for multiple games, and by Week 18 will be starting their QB3s. How many combined wins do they have and do those games have playoff implications?

Both the Dolphins and Ravens will be without their starting QB for multiple games, and by Week 18 will be starting their QB3s. How many combined wins do they have and do those games have playoff implications?
Thanks for bumping this, because I thought of one yesterday, but never got around to it and had forgotten by now.

A rookie punter will, after 16 games currently be atop the all-time list of most yards per punt in a season. The difference between his ypp and #2 on the all-time list will be equal to the difference between the ypp of #2 and #12. What is his name?

Damn. You got me. You're good at this game.

The funniest thing about that is I answered in earnest off of the top of my head. So, I am pretty good at this game, all things considered.

I guess you were looking for Araiza or Stout or someone like that. I would have answered Stonehouse because I saw him in preseason and the announcers were talking about him beating out an All-Pro in an open competition. Too much leg.

Damn. You got me. You're good at this game.

The funniest thing about that is I answered in earnest off of the top of my head. So, I am pretty good at this game, all things considered.

I guess you were looking for Araiza or Stout or someone like that. I would have answered Stonehouse because I saw him in preseason and the announcers were talking about him beating out an All-Pro in an open competition. Too much leg.
Oh I see, haha! I figured anyone, (with the assumption of being transported back to the pre-rape-allegation days) would say "PUNT GOD ARAIZA!!" and stake anything short of their life on it.

By the end of the regular season, more people are wearing Damar Hamlin jerseys than any other jersey in the league. How many DPOY votes will he get?

After 13 weeks, the Lions and Seahawks are projected to pick in the top 4. What are their combined records?
Love this one as I wonder what kind of odds you could parlay with Seattle > Denver AND Lions > Rams at the beginning of year.

Users who are viewing this thread