What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Defund the police? UPDATE: It’s a terrible idea which doesn’t work. (1 Viewer)

Just about this, and total respect to your friend, but don’t you think it’s a leap to suggest you support this?
Absolutely positively not a leap at all. 

He sent me this and asked me if this is what I think it's coming down to. https://twitter.com/EamonWhalen/status/1269398760049737728?s=20

Mayor Jacob Frey asked yes or no question on if he'll defund the police than told to get the the F out of here and booed when he did not say yes. 

I think people are naive at best if they don't think this is real pressure.. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok man.  You're right let's let America burn to the ground while the law makers figure it out.

We have to have police, and they have to have the ability to take care of rioting and looting.
This never ends if all the resources and time is spent on the riots.  In fact it only get worse.  The riots are relatively tame at this time.  If an incident like this happens again soon.  Many lives on both sides will be lost and property will be an afterthought.

There are two issues here: the actual one and the political one. 
Putting aside the actual issue for the moment (since I’ve already admitted I’m not as knowledgeable as I should be) let me address just the political one: 

it’s a loser. 

In terms of politics I don’t care what is meant by “defund the police”- the phrase itself is a terrible loser. It’s a loser to say you’re for this. It’s a loser to hem and haw and say that it means many different things (which I heard one Democratic councilwoman say on TV this morning). It’s a loser to not take an opinion on. 

Will it turn the election around in favor of Trump and the Republicans? No idea, but it’s the first thing that could. This is extremely dangerous and the Democrats had better clamp down on this very quickly. 
My real life friends are all in on this as reality:  https://twitter.com/EamonWhalen/status/1269398760049737728?s=20

Maybe instead of discussing political ramifications we should think about the fact that so many people seem to believe that the police have a negative impact on their lives.
Exactly and if the police are killing people that look like you for no reason why would you trust them.

Maybe instead of discussing political ramifications we should think about the fact that so many people seem to believe that the police have a negative impact on their lives.
I think you can do both. You have to because if you don’t get a hold of a better political message than “defund the police”, you will have very little chance of being able to address  the latter.  “Defund/Abolish the police” is political suicide.

Absolutely positively not a leap at all. 

He sent me this and asked me if this is what I think it's coming down to. https://twitter.com/EamonWhalen/status/1269398760049737728?s=20

Mayor Jacob Frey asked yes or no question on if he'll defund the police than told to get the the F out of here and booed when he did not say yes. 

I think people are naive at best if they don't think this is real pressure.. 
But he suggested you support it. That seems unfair (sorry).

I had a friend say something similar to me recently, essentially ‘you (ie me) support the rioting and looting’. I thought that was totally unfair, false and I told him so. 

Trump will push this above all else to continue the divide and make the entire thing about this one slogan.
Do you really blame him? Elected Democrat officials are showing up at these rallies and the Minneapolis City Council is pushing this. This is like political gold dropped in his lap.

The better question for you guys is how will Joe Biden react when they come to him with these demands. That’s what you should be worried about. 

But he suggested you support it. That seems unfair (sorry).

I had a friend say something similar to me recently, essentially ‘you (ie me) support the rioting and looting’. I thought that was totally unfair, false and I told him so. 
That's reality though. It's how tribalism works. It's why tons of people here will lump me in with Franklin Graham or Falwell because I'm a Christian. 

We all get lumped into the "side" we're on and then you have to spend time clarifying. 

I think you can do both. You have to because of you don’t get a hold of a better political message than “defund the police”, you will have very little chance of being able to address  the latter.  “Defund/Abolish the police” is political suicide.
Biden 1994 crime bill.  Why is he better?  Both are awful when it comes to track record and substance.

Do you really blame him? Elected Democrat officials are showing up at these rallies and the Minneapolis City Council is pushing this. This is like political gold dropped in his lap.

The better question for you guys is how will Joe Biden react when they come to him with these demands. That’s what you should be worried about. 
This is 100% true. All of it. @Widbil83 and I don’t agree on much but I think we both understand how politics work, how perception is everything. 

If Democrats push this they will lose the election. If they lose the election, none of the other stuff is going to matter. This is it. 
If they win then what?  Obama had 8 years and same stuff happened.  It just seem delusional to me thinking a political party will do anything other than pander to donors in these time.  They proved it over and over again.

Oh for sure. If I was running the Trump campaign, I'd make this video front and center. 

I know nothing about the mayor. But the fact he was there and the words he's saying about putting the police union in it's place and revamping and fixing the brokenness sound like as good as what one could say.  https://twitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1269407893406826496?s=20.  And when it's put to a yes or no question that they don't want any more police and he refuses to say yes and then you saw what happened. 

Except for the articles that outright are promoting Abolish... ;)  https://lifehacker.com/lets-abolish-the-police-force-1843922788

Granted. It's lifehacker. But that's a big site with a lot of readers. 
It's an unfortunate title to the article, but I think it would be helpful to actually discuss the contents of the article. Here's just one quote from it:

We spend twice as much on prisons, police and courts than what we spend on social programs aimed at helping people in need, at every level of government. We also put people in jail at a rate that is five times higher than other countries, at a cost of $31,286 per incarcerated person, per year. As a point of comparison, we spend $12,201 a year educating a primary and secondary school student.
Our criminal justice system is broken. What's the definition of insanity? We need fundamental change to help solve the problems of police brutality and our prison-industrial complex. 

It's an unfortunate title to the article, but I think it would be helpful to actually discuss the contents of the article. Here's just one quote from it:

Our criminal justice system is broken. What's the definition of insanity? We need fundamental change to help solve the problems of police brutality and our prison-industrial complex. 
Sure. Titles are intentional though. With a zillion pieces to read every minute, most readers in 2020 won't get much past that. That's just reality. 

The video is perfect example of the climate now. https://twitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1269407893406826496?s=20  The mayor seems to be for a ton of the stuff in the article fixing the broken system. But anything short of a yes or no question as to no more police, and we saw how that went. 

If they win then what?  Obama had 8 years and same stuff happened.  It just seem delusional to me thinking a political party will do anything other than pander to donors in these time.  They proved it over and over again.
If you don’t think you can push for some measure of change on this issue in a Dem administration vs. another 4 years of a Trump admin, I don’t know what to tell you. Too many folks in all sorts of issues constantly make perfect the enemy of good.

Oh for sure. If I was running the Trump campaign, I'd make this video front and center. 

I know nothing about the mayor. But the fact he was there and the words he's saying about putting the police union in it's place and revamping and fixing the brokenness sound like as good as what one could say.  https://twitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1269407893406826496?s=20.  And when it's put to a yes or no question that they don't want any more police and he refuses to say yes and then you saw what happened. 
Yup.

I have to think this is people wrapped up in the moment and not really hearing what was being said.

You know, I do really care about reform in the police department and systemic racism. It’s very important to me. 

I also care about competence in the Presidency, climate change, undocumented immigration, corruption, NATO, the Supreme Court, the pandemic, economic inequality, gun control, etc. ALL of this is on the line in November. We get ONE shot. That’s it. 

If I'm in charge of the Biden campaign, I'd try to get in front of this as quickly as possible. 

We need real change in how police work. Fortunately, there are a ton of people who've already done a lot of thinking there. I haven't been through it thoroughly but groups like https://www.joincampaignzero.org/ seem to have done a ton. 

I'd try to turn the conversation from shaming a mayor who refuses to agree to no more police and turn it to fixing the system with something like this. 

Sure. Titles are intentional though. With a zillion pieces to read every minute, most readers in 2020 won't get much past that. That's just reality. 
I agree and that is part of the reason "Defund the Police" won't work as a slogan. It portrays the potential to disband the police which will not be widely supported.

If they called this movement "Police reform", a majority of people would support it. 

If you don’t think you can push for some measure of change on this issue in a Dem administration vs. another 4 years of a Trump admin, I don’t know what to tell you. Too many folks in all sorts of issues constantly make perfect the enemy of good.
Why will they do it now?  Nothing in the past made them change.  Not even a president that was brown who I voted for twice.

This never ends if all the resources and time is spent on the riots.  In fact it only get worse.  The riots are relatively tame at this time.  If an incident like this happens again soon.  Many lives on both sides will be lost and property will be an afterthought.
But we can’t go unprepared for the next riot.  We simply can’t.

We have had decades to address the problem.  The reactions are on the lawmakers.  Now protesters and rioters are not one on the same mostly.  Fix the problem and quit giving rioters cover.
So it’s only as simple as fix the worlds problems that have plagued us since the beginning of time?  Cool, That should be easy. 

I agree and that is part of the reason "Defund the Police" won't work as a slogan. It portrays the potential to disband the police which will not be widely supported.

If they called this movement "Police reform", a majority of people would support it. 
Exactly. 100% this. “Defund the police” is an awful slogan and will only push people away towards wanting to support change.

Biden would be smart to get out ahead of this quickly and announce that he is 100% against defunding the police entirely but wants to see police reform, and point towards some of the ideas he laid out last week.

So it’s only as simple as fix the worlds problems that have plagued us since the beginning of time?  Cool, That should be easy. 
No but we could be better.  How many unjustified shooting of unarmed black men have you seen officers found guilty?

Watching the video completely I am convinced a lot of people in the crowd had no idea what they were cheering for. Didn’t hear what the mayor said and are are just pissed off.

If you actually ask people if they want to abolish the police you aren’t going to get many people saying yes.

Reform absolutely, majority of people are for this.

Biden definitely has a problem here that he needs to address. 

Yeah I know.  Which is why when you said “wait until after the election” you weren’t being sincere.   
No I was. I don’t mind discussing radical ideas and debating them. I don’t want them enacted  by politicians until they are part of the mainstream at which point they are no longer radical. And I certainly don’t want them promoted loudly prior to an election because it’s a sure way to lose that election. 

No I was. I don’t mind discussing radical ideas and debating them. I don’t want them enacted  by politicians until they are part of the mainstream at which point they are no longer radical. And I certainly don’t want them promoted loudly prior to an election because it’s a sure way to lose that election. 
How do the ideas become “part of the mainstream” if we’re not allowed to talk about them?

How do the ideas become “part of the mainstream” if we’re not allowed to talk about them?
It’s not wise to promote them before an election. 

The key to American politics is winning the middle. The easiest way to do this, unfortunately, is not by presenting your own ideas but by attacking the other side as too far outside the mainstream. That is a very sad truth but it IS the truth. We can’t change it in 2020, or perhaps ever. 

Users who are viewing this thread