What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Demeco Ryans (1 Viewer)

Professor S

Footballguy
Since his injury, Demeco Ryans has been very disappointing. He is becoming very frustrating to have as an IDP. He's not performing well enough to trade him for any value, and he's too talented to bench, but for the past four weeks he has consistently gotten only four or five tackles a game. However, he continually is projected highly on a week to week basis by the staff here.

Anyone out there with any insight into his drop in production? Is his injury hampering his play that much? If so, when if ever will he return to form? If not, what better options are there? I am just trying to gauge what others are doing with this "stud" right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ankle has been an issue, but this week is was simply his matchup ... Detroit. If you recall Patrick Willis was only 4-2-0 back in week three vs Lions. I think he's getting close to getting back to form. Has good matchups with the Vikings and Ravens coming up in weeks eight and nine.

The Lions only had the ball for 19 minutes (46 total plays), so Ryans really didn't have many chances. I thought he looked good though, so I wouldn't worry about him too much.

Thanks. I agree that weeks 8 and 9 will be very telling for him. If he cannot perform well against run heavy teams like Minnesota and Baltimore, then perhaps it will be time to panic.

Five solos against a terrible Detroit matchup (that was even worse than usual yesterday) is actually very reassuring to me.

Take a look at what this who's who group of ILBs have done against the Lions this season. We've counseled folks to look for better options (including Willis and Ryans) this season; Ryans very nearly made that counsel look bad this weekend.
:coffee: Jene and John both nailed this in the IDP Roundtable this week. :lmao:
They were all over this early in the year. Outside of Kevin Williams (8-0-4), no other IDP has has tallied over six solos against Detroit. The Lions are dead last in TOA (Tackle Ops Allowed) averaging 40.0 per game, better than nine below league average.

Also only team who has yet to have a game over 50.

Five solos against a terrible Detroit matchup (that was even worse than usual yesterday) is actually very reassuring to me.

Take a look at what this who's who group of ILBs have done against the Lions this season. We've counseled folks to look for better options (including Willis and Ryans) this season; Ryans very nearly made that counsel look bad this weekend.
Why was he ranked so high by FBG then? Without going back and looking I think he was ranked in the top 20.

jpeace121 said:

:football: Jene and John both nailed this in the IDP Roundtable this week. :excited:
What is an IDP roundtable?

Ryans was ranked 33rd overall (FBG scoring) in last week's projections, compared to 1st (Week 6), 17th (W5 after ankle injury prior week), 1st (W4), and 2nd (W3).

The IDP Roundtable is our weekly all-IDP podcast, which is usually available for download by midday Wednesday. We highlight one player we think is worth "starting" and "benching" each week as a way to discuss good and bad matchups. I argued that Ryans' matchup was a benchable matchup during last week's podcast and John commented that he was thinking along similar lines. We made the same argument about London Fletcher this week. It's a matchup we've been harping on all season long -- Norton argued to bench Patrick Willis some weeks ago and I've been often highlighting it in the Matchups to Exploit and Avoid column on Thursdays.

Ryans was ranked 33rd overall (FBG scoring) in last week's projections, compared to 1st (Week 6), 17th (W5 after ankle injury prior week), 1st (W4), and 2nd (W3). The IDP Roundtable is our weekly all-IDP podcast, which is usually available for download by midday Wednesday. We highlight one player we think is worth "starting" and "benching" each week as a way to discuss good and bad matchups. I argued that Ryans' matchup was a benchable matchup during last week's podcast and John commented that he was thinking along similar lines. We made the same argument about London Fletcher this week. It's a matchup we've been harping on all season long -- Norton argued to bench Patrick Willis some weeks ago and I've been often highlighting it in the Matchups to Exploit and Avoid column on Thursdays.
Thanks for the reply. :goodposting:

Should we expect another off week (crappy CIN O)?
Solid week, with some upside. If Bengals can keep it close, he could have a nice game. The last 4-3 team Cincy played was N.Y. Giants back in week three. They kept it close and Pierce put up 10 solos, 3 assist..

Should we expect another off week (crappy CIN O)?
Solid week, with some upside. If Bengals can keep it close, he could have a nice game. The last 4-3 team Cincy played was N.Y. Giants back in week three. They kept it close and Pierce put up 10 solos, 3 assist..
Note that Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn't the starting quarterback when they played the Giants. I do see some hope for Ryans this week though. Benson has ran hard, and is at least getting through the line, unlike Perry. Houston seems to end up making every game close, so I think I'll be starting him.

25 total tackles...18 solos, 7 assists, 2 fumble recoveries

That's what Demeco did the first two weeks of the season for his fantasy owners. Put a big smile on all our faces.

22 total tackles...19 solos, 3 assists

That's what Demeco has done over the last 5 games. Something has got to be going on here for him to drop production like this. Still hurt? The team around him is playing better? I think it has to be more than that. We have seen elite players put up big games even when playing on a solid defense. If his ankle is bothering him, for pete's sake, sit him until he is healthy , please! I just don't get it.

this is a classic what good for a real team is not good for a fantasy player situation. issues

1) the texans defense is not on the field with the offense playing well.

2) Because teams have been playing from behind they are passing

3) Even when passing, the Lions nor the Bengals did not with TE or RBs or over the middle

4) Zac diles as the kind of roving LB has started to make plays i.e. Ryans is not having to make all the plays

5) Fantasy players have probably overrated him in NFL terms, he is a good player not convinced he is an elite one. he had the perfect opportunity to put up crazy tackle numbers when the Texans totally sucked. Now that they are even mediocore he does not have to do everything.

so...did anybody watch the game ??

just a crappy performance ?

any chance for "some Box Score correction" ??

:wub:

We only start 3 IDP (any position), and there's a number of players available who have performed well

(Yeremiah Bell, Quentin Jammer, Nick Harper, Cedric Griffin, Eric Wright, Justin Tuck, Calvin Pace).

Combine this with Ryans mediocre numbers over the last 5 games using our scoring system:

Week 1: 10

Week 2: BYE

Week 3: 12

Week 4: 4

Week 5: 7

Week 6: 4

Week 7: 5

Week 8: 1

and I'm seriously considering cutting bait.

Would love to hear what Bramel and Borbely have to say (and anyone else for that matter!)

TIA

UH

so...did anybody watch the game ??just a crappy performance ?any chance for "some Box Score correction" ?? :lol:
My thought above is from watching every Texans game this year minus 1 quarter.

Week Opponent TackOpp Rush Att Solos Assists FBG FPts Diles tackles 1 PIT 54 39 8 4 19.00 11 3 TEN 50 36 10 3 21.25 5 4 JAX** 49 25 3 0 6.00 5 5 IND 49 22 7 0 10.50 6 6 MIA 45 24 3 1 6.75 3 7 DET 33 19 5 0 7.50 5 8 CIN 44 22 1 2 3.00 7**Ankle injuryAverage Tack Opp >> 46.3 (25th overall)Average Rush Att >> 26.7 (14th overall)There’s an argument to be made that Ryans has had only two poor games out of seven. Ryans was injured for one game (Jax) and missed time and has had five solos in four others, including the best performance to date by a MLB/ILB vs Detroit on a per opportunity basis. Unfortunately, those two games have come in the last three, bracketing the terrible DET matchup.Zach Diles has been a better tackler than Morlon Greenwood, though his six solo per game pace isn’t that much better than Greenwood’s pace. When examined under the light of the drop in tackle opportunity the Texan defense has seen this season, however, it’s more impressive. It’s also worth noting that, with the exception of last week’s game against the Bengals, Diles (as with Greenwood last season) hasn’t regularly out-tackled Ryans.

The Texans faced 50.6 tackle opps per game last season, which was above average but not significantly so (13th overall, but less than 1 TackOpp/gm over the league average). The four opp/gm drop this season, much of which has been generated over the last month, is more significant.

What to make of all this? Hard to say. I think many of the points coolnerd made above are valid. My feeling is that it’s a combination of lost opportunity and possibly nagging injury. When those two issues combine with improved competition for tackles, some decline is inevitable. Still, Ryans has shown evidence of defeating the opportunity and competition issues – seven solos against only 22 rush attempts/average tackle opp against Indianapolis, five solos despite horrid opportunity just one week ago.

Ryans’ remaining matchups look favorable for the most part – teams that want to run no matter what at home, teams that can run when the game is close on the road. I’d like to see better split than what he put up against Cincinnati to feel entirely confident with him, but I’m not sure it’s time to throw him under the bus until/unless we hear that there’s another underlying injury that is slowing him down.

I’d like to see better split than what he put up against Cincinnati to feel entirely confident with him, but I’m not sure it’s time to throw him under the bus until/unless we hear that there’s another underlying injury that is slowing him down.
FWIW, this from beat writer John McClain's chat this afternoon:
John McClain: Ryans has an ankle injury that won't get better until the offseason. He's playing injured, which is the reason he's not making as many tackles and the reason he's missing some. He's tough, though, and being on the field is good for him and his teammates because he's still better than most of them.
I think Ryans will improve as his opportunity improves, but this is critical information since Ryans hasn't been on the injury report in two weeks.

This thread prompted me to revisit a rate stat we played around with last January -- percentage of team solos made -- in this week's Reading the Defense column. Results were pretty interesting, and Zac Diles' number was eye-opening.

14 team redraft IDP lite (start any 3 IDP)

This may be totally guppyish, but my IDPs have been killing me (LOADED on offense and sitting at 5-3).

I pulled the trigger and dropped Ryans for Yeremiah Bell and have now completely turned over all of my draft picks:

Ryans for Bell

Will Witherspoon for DeAngelo Hall

Mike Peterson for Stephen Cooper

Champ Bailey for Jarod Mayo

Time will tell . . .

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4817

(on if injuries are affecting LB DeMeco Ryans) “No, I just (think) wear and tear. You’ve got to understand he’s (LB DeMeco Ryans) played every snap for this football team going on two and a half years. He’s played a lot, a lot of football and it’s that time of the season in the National Football League when you get to Week 8, 9 and 10 where everybody is really dragging and tired and beat up. You just kind of have to keep plugging and you seem to get a second wind towards the end. He’s in that boat right now. We’ve got to just keep going, but I think he’s OK.”

(on how he assesses LB DeMeco Ryans play compared to past years) “He’s getting more help now than he in the past. Back then, he was having to make all those tackles, but I think (LB) Zac (Diles) has become a fine, fine player. So, he’s taking a lot of pressure and made a lot of plays from that standpoint. We’re playing better upfront right now than we’ve played in a while around here. So, he’s got a lot more help. But believe me, he’s still playing well and I expect some big things out of him the rest of the way.”

(on if LB Zac Diles is a key in the run defense) “Well, it kind of all depends. When you’re an outside linebacker, how many times the ball comes your way; just what we’re doing. Richard (Smith) has been blitzing him some. He’s been an excellent blitzer. I don’t know if you if ever know as a player. It’s kind of like being a receiver, one day you show up and the ball comes your way all day because of coverage and the next day it doesn’t. So, you just get ready to play. But when he’s been in position to make plays, he’s made them.”

(on how you know a guy like LB DeMeco Ryans is hurt because he wouldn’t never admit it) “No, I mean he’s going to play and he doesn’t miss a snap of practice. We do try to give him a break during practice as best we can but he leads our team. So, he just has to keep working through it. He’s played a lot of football.”

(on LB DeMeco Ryans telling the coaching staff if he was hurt) “I would think that he would tell us what was hurting. He wouldn’t take himself off the field, that’s not going to change. But, if something was bothering him really bad, I think (LB) DeMeco (Ryans) would let us know eventually. But that’s what makes him a great player, he’s going to be there for his teammates one way or another.”

This has got to be one of the most indecisive threads I have ever read. On one hand, he's been dinged up and the match ups weren't so good. On the other, Diles and the improved DL are taking away his opportunity's.

I don't know if I should buy low or avoid

Rozelle said:
Bench time.
It's looking like it, I have better options on my dynasty roster. DeMeco is headed to my bench, though his matchup next week will probably hook me one more week.
Why is playing at home vs BAL a better matchup than @MIN?
He faced 35 rush attempts, 49 tackle ops and Houston as a team had 38 solos. By comparison, Minnesota faced 16 rush attemts, had 53 tackle ops, 49 solos. Minnesota stat crew came in a little light with the Houston players. Want to see how he does at home vs a great matchup before moving on. Also TEAM had two solos (NFL Gamebook), so there were a couple tackles stat crew didn't know what to do with.

Nov 6 LB DeMeco Ryans (shoulder) was back in practice Thursday, but the Texans are concerned about how much it may hinder him Sunday. Kevin Bentley and Morlon Greenwood can each play in the middle, if necessary. - Yahoo sports
Any homers or otherwise have any inside information on Ryans injury status? This appeared like it was going to be the week where we found out whether his decreased production was due to injury or the emergence of Diles. Now he may not even play . . . any one with any info? Thoughts? Conjecture?

Nov 6 LB DeMeco Ryans (shoulder) was back in practice Thursday, but the Texans are concerned about how much it may hinder him Sunday. Kevin Bentley and Morlon Greenwood can each play in the middle, if necessary. - Yahoo sports
Any homers or otherwise have any inside information on Ryans injury status? This appeared like it was going to be the week where we found out whether his decreased production was due to injury or the emergence of Diles. Now he may not even play . . . any one with any info? Thoughts? Conjecture?
from houstontexans.com from Kubiak yesterdayon what LB position will LB Xavier Adibi play) “He (LB Xavier Adibi) can play anywhere, but right now, we’re working those guys all over the place, basically have a rotation going because we’ve got concerns about (LB) DeMeco’s (Ryans) shoulder right now. He (Ryans) did practice today. He’ll be ready to play, but at the same time, he’s banged up, too.”

After watching the Houston game again, no question DeMeco is not himself. He appears to lack his quickness and lateral movement, no doubt the ankle, which is still heavly taped, is still an issue. Ryans is a sure tackler, but missed several last week, maybe the shoulder had something to do with that. Ryans' starting status could very well be matchup dependent the rest of the year.

After watching the Houston game again, no question DeMeco is not himself. He appears to lack his quickness and lateral movement, no doubt the ankle, which is still heavly taped, is still an issue. Ryans is a sure tackler, but missed several last week, maybe the shoulder had something to do with that. Ryans' starting status could very well be matchup dependent the rest of the year.
With Diles out and Ryans hurting, is it time for Greenwood to see his numbers spike? Or are the stat guys in Houston just really bad at their job. It seems there is some question about accuracy that leans towards the light side.

Bentley/Adibi platoon situation will be interesting to watch, as well as who plays in nickel. If Greenwood grabs nickel snaps, should see spike in his numbers.

Not sure about the Houston stat crew accuracy.

I had to cut him finally, we only start 1 of each position so there was much better available on the wire. Sucks, the guy was a stud his first couple years.

I think today was our answer. Apparently Ryans had a Diles problem as far as fantasy production, not an injury problem. Certainly raises my confidence level in his play for the remainder of the year. Anytime beyond, assuming Diles gets healthy . . . not so much!

Users who are viewing this thread