What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democratic Woman Attends Trump Rally - Thoughts On Her Article? (1 Viewer)

What Do You Think Of Her Article?

• She's delusional and completely wrong

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • She's not delusional but that's a wrong take

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • On the fence

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I think I'm starting to think she may be right

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • She's on point and right

Votes: 31 39.7%

• Total voters
I'm not disagreeing that both sides do it. I'm disagreeing with your assertion that the left doesn't do it at all.

It's simply a preposterous position to take on your part. 

Pro tip:Twitter is real. It's full of real people saying all kinds of nasty crap.  Same thing for Facebook and everything else.  
It would be a preposterous take if I said it, or even suggested it. 

I said that the false premise that the article was based on was that all dems think all trumpers are racists. 

you are free to disagree with me - you can say, for example, either 1) that the article doesn’t say what I’m saying it says; or 2) that you agree with my characterization of the article, and that the articles premise IS indeed correct (I.e., all dems think all trumpers are racist) 

BUT if you want to say that some dems think some trumpers are racist. Just like some trumpers think that some democrats are antifa. Then congratulations, we agree on something. 

Yeah, I know how this works.  You get some nominal Republican-in-name-only on your side and then declare "See, Republicans are even against him". 

So, please, don't insult our intelligence with "He's a Republican".
Are you suggesting that someone is only a republican if they support trump?

Are you suggesting that someone is only a republican if they support trump?
I'm suggesting that the people CNN/MSNBC bring on board are barely republicans, if at all.

Republicans DO NOT do what Wilson did about their own base.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t want to start a new thread, so I hope it’s okay if I dump this here:

https://areomagazine.com/2017/10/28/how-not-to-de-radicalize-a-twitter-neo-nazi/

It’s an article in vaguely the same genre as in the OP — a person who opposes white nationalism reaches outside his own bubble to engage someone with views very different from his own, and they start to connect a bit on a human level.

It’s not the happiest of endings. But it’s a good argument for the ideals we strive for on this forum — trying to get along with people we disagree with instead of trying to shout them down or get them banned.

Rick Wilson has been a public figure for decades and is about as Republican as it is humanly possible to be.
After what he did? I don't think anyone considered him a Republican.  Pandering to CNN to sell a book by selling out and ridiculing the very people you supposedly agree with? No thanks. The Democrats can have him.

After what he did? I don't think anyone considered him a Republican.  Pandering to CNN to sell a book by selling out and ridiculing the very people you supposedly agree with? No thanks. The Democrats can have him.
We don’t want him either. You’re stuck with him. 

Yeah, I know how this works.  You get some nominal Republican-in-name-only on your side and then declare "See, Republicans are even against him". 

Not the point, he’s a Trump critic who has worked on GOP campaigns for years. The point is his claim was Republican supporters don’t care about Trump’s ignorance on basic history and geography and I am asking if you personally agree or disagreeing with him?

Not the point, he’s a Trump critic who has worked on GOP campaigns for years. The point is his claim was Republican supporters don’t care about Trump’s ignorance on basic history and geography and I am asking if you personally agree or disagreeing with him?
I think that's a generally true statement. His supporters don't look at him as much as politician, but more as a voice to their issues. Everyone knows he has a checkered (to be polite) past and lies often, but nothing sticks to him because many of his supporters think he's fighting for them more than other politicians in the past.

Joe Bryant said:
I think this is a super interesting question.

My gut feel from listening, (and granted this is my personal listening and WAY too small a sample size to be meaningful) is two things.

1. The number of the "hold their nose and voted for Trump" voters was large. I think it's a much bigger group than many do.

2. The folks I know in this "held their nose" group, they are more likely to vote for Trump in 2020 than they were in 2016.

When I ask them why, the answer I get is mostly stuff like this: Why do Conservatives support Trump? Because he is implementing Conservative policies.
Thanks for the insight. Do you have a feel for what made these folks reluctant to vote for President Trump in the first place?

Was Hillary Clinton ever an option for them? Would any Democrat be an option for them, given their preference for conservative policies?

Saw this article posted on another board, really surprised it got that much traction.

"I'm a lifelong democrat but the people at the Trump rally were really nice and happy so now I'm not a democrat anymore."

Not a single policy mentioned in the entire article.

I realize people vote based on personality, it's just sad.

I believe The left thinks the folks on the right are are bad people hence punch a nazi etc was accepted, the lefts protests have a propensity towards violence (on a side note the left always leave their trash all over after rallies). The last election show’d this, Hillary destroyed Trump in the polls yet we all know the glorious outcome. 

The right hate the lefts ideas not the people. Our protests tend to always be peaceful, we pick up our trash etc. 

As far as racism, it’s on both sides however I think the lefts racism is more damaging, take affirmative action for example, telling a whole group of folks you cannot achieve on your own is devastating to the psyche IMO. It destroys their confidence and they hear that message everywhere. Not blatantly, but they know what they are being told. Sad.  

I believe The left thinks the folks on the right are are bad people hence punch a nazi etc was accepted, the lefts protests have a propensity towards violence (on a side note the left always leave their trash all over after rallies). The last election show’d this, Hillary destroyed Trump in the polls yet we all know the glorious outcome. 

The right hate the lefts ideas not the people. Our protests tend to always be peaceful, we pick up our trash etc. 

As far as racism, it’s on both sides however I think the lefts racism is more damaging, take affirmative action for example, telling a whole group of folks you cannot achieve on your own is devastating to the psyche IMO. It destroys their confidence and they hear that message everywhere. Not blatantly, but they know what they are being told. Sad.  
Wow...where to begin with this.

No...the left doesn't think all the folks on the right are bad people...never has that been said on here or never has that been even close to a large group opinion from the left.  However, it has been properly stated that many on the right have been those things (examples even given of such things and we saw its ugliness in Charlottesville.  The lefts protests have a propensity towards violence?  If you are simply talking about antifa...yeah, that group does.  To claim that is representative of "the left" is to also then accept the ugliness in Charlottesville is representative of "the right".  You seem to want it both ways where the ugly of the left is "the left" but the ugliness of the right isn't "the right".  Also...love the bogus generalization that the left leaves trash everywhere and the right picks theirs up...seriously good stuff.

Also...while I may not like affirmative action...it is not, in fact, telling someone they cannot achieve on their own.  Its saying that there have been major hurdles put forth...and often times int he past done by the government leaving some at a disadvantage by birth.  I think those people do know what they are being told and are smart enough to know its not as you claim.  But to claim that is worse racism than what we have seen from the fringe on the far right and the years of systemic racism in this country is pretty insulting.

This guy sure sounds like a republican and not "in-name only republican".

Wilson entered the political arena by campaigning for Connie Mack during the 1988 Florida Senate election. Later, he served on George H. W. Bush's campaign as Florida field director. Wilson was also a presidential appointee to the Department of Defense under then Secretary of Defense **** Cheney.

In 1994, Wilson joined a Florida media firm, where he created Pollie-award winning ads for Rudolph Giuliani during the 1997 New York City mayoral election. In 1999 Wilson moved to New York City where he initially worked at City Hall, and then later campaigned for Giuliani during the 2000 New York Senate election.

Saw this article posted on another board, really surprised it got that much traction.

"I'm a lifelong democrat but the people at the Trump rally were really nice and happy so now I'm not a democrat anymore."

Not a single policy mentioned in the entire article.

I realize people vote based on personality, it's just sad.
It is more than personality.  It is the egnima that many on the left have become.  The left strives and believes themselves to be open-minded, enlightened, empathetic, inclusive, rationale, and compassionate.    But when it comes to political opponents, so many on the left become hateful, judgmental, fearful, unsympathetic, irrational, and exclusive.  What I see from the majority on the right is more disgust with leftist.  It is not this vile hatred that is way to common on the left.  People are really turned off by hate.       

Wow...where to begin with this.

No...the left doesn't think all the folks on the right are bad people...never has that been said on here or never has that been even close to a large group opinion from the left. 
I saw rampant hatred on this very forum for the last three years from the anti-Trump crowd. Trump supporters were vile bigots, really subhuman descriptions.  

I saw rampant hatred on this very forum for the last three years from the anti-Trump crowd. Trump supporters were vile bigots, really subhuman descriptions.  
Stop...no...nobody said those things simply because someone was a Republican or Trump supporter...this has been gone over many times.  if they did post it...but don't keep making accusations with nothing to back it up...that is tiresome.

It is more than personality.  It is the egnima that many on the left have become.  The left strives and believes themselves to be open-minded, enlightened, empathetic, inclusive, rationale, and compassionate.    But when it comes to political opponents, so many on the left become hateful, judgmental, fearful, unsympathetic, irrational, and exclusive.  What I see from the majority on the right is more disgust with leftist.  It is not this vile hatred that is way to common on the left.  People are really turned off by hate.       
They're so turned off by hate they vote for Donald Trump?

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

If someone was "really turned off by hate", the last person on earth they'd vote for is Donald Trump.

I mean c'mon. You expect anyone to believe that?

What I see from the majority on the right is more disgust with leftist.  It is not this vile hatred that is way to common on the left.  People are really turned off by hate. 
It’s resentment and grievances. Had this convo with Bluto in another thread one day. If you look at the pro Trump posts or (to take it away from here) the general pro Trump discourse a good deal of it is anger about supposed claims about castigation or denigration of Trump supporters. I’d say it’s a top 3 value and has been for a while.

Look at the exchange further up about the Lemon/Wilson imbroglio. Is the key value there the SOS’s involvement in the Ukraine scandal, or his refusal to answer questions, his treatment of the free press or his lying about it after? No, the key takeaway is the anger at Wilson claiming that Trump supporters don’t care about Trump’s own incompetence and authoritarianism. And it’s probably fair to say that clip will be played prominently on Trump media til Election Day and even after.

Stop...no...nobody said those things simply because someone was a Republican or Trump supporter...this has been gone over many times.  if they did post it...but don't keep making accusations with nothing to back it up...that is tiresome.
Says the guy who just liked the post above which called Trump supporters a cult.  It is tiresome, and this is from the gentler kinder forum.  

Says the guy who just liked the post above which called Trump supporters a cult.  It is tiresome, and this is from the gentler kinder forum.  
So no...we are again going to see no actual posts to back up that Trump supporters were called those things accused simply for being Trump supporters.

And we are on to worrying about "likes" again?  Have fun with that.

as to the poll, i'm confused.

delusional, right, wrong, on point about what?  how can anyone vote?

as to the author, to call herself an "accidental political commentator" seems dishonest.  at least with herself.

and she starts out thinking all Trump supporters are racist and horrible. that's dumb.

then, because Trump supporters are enthusiastic [duh] and treat her well at a rally, she decides that democrats are in for an ### kicking in Nov.  that doesn't seem very bright.

she thinks we should listen to one another.  i certainly agree.

I'm not denying that people on the left can be hateful and generalize all Trump supporters in negative ways, but are you really telling me these people are 'disgusted' by hate and then go ahead and support a President who is as divisive as they come and spreads that same hate on a daily basis? If that's the case, they need to take a hard look in the mirror and realize what hypocrites they are.

Joe Bryant said:
I started to question everything. How many stories had I been sold that weren’t true? What if my perception of the other side is wrong? How is it possible that half the country is overtly racist? Is it possible that Trump derangement syndrome is a real thing, and had I been suffering from it for the past three years?

And the biggest question of all was this: Did I hate Trump so much that I wanted to see my country fail just to spite him and everyone who voted for him?
Just so much of this reads like a Trump supporter writing like what he/she would think that an anti-Trumper would say/think.

Joe Bryant said:
Thanks. Are you saying she's trying to promote disinformation?

I know nothing about her. But she seems like a regular writer with a bit of a history. https://medium.com/@karlyn Has like 5,000 follower on medium. 
Her twitter feed is more informative. She hasn't been totally apolitical. She described herself in December as libertarian and roughly pro-Gabbard at least on the impeachment issue. There's a fair amount of overlap between Gabbard and Trump support. Earlier she described herself as pro-Buttigieg and she also had a post critical of Klobuchar. Not a lot of political content, but some.

She has since appeared on Fox & Friends. She's also been featured on The Blaze and she recently has at least a couple tweets about the mistreatment of Trump supporters by mean liberals. She also has a post explaining that she actually left the Dems before November so obviously "the rally" wasn't the thing.

"hate" is the new trigger word I suppose, but it's not at all unique to one side or the other and it is absolutely embraced by "the teams/sides".  "People are really turned off by hate" is partially true...the full truth is "People are really turned off by hate when they see the other side exhibiting it towards them".  There's simply no way to justify immunity on this one, the evidence is glaring and obvious.

If your rebuttal is "Yeah, but the GOP doesn't claim to be something they aren't" I guess that's a distinction.  I'm not sure it's a flattering one, but it IS a distinction.  To the bold, your generalities are going to get you in trouble once again.  If you can't see hate in GOP leadership, I'm not sure what to tell you.  If you can't see hate in GOP support, I'm not sure what to tell you.

She also has a post explaining that she actually left the Dems before November so obviously "the rally" wasn't the thing.

Today, I voted in the New Hampshire Democratic Primary for Pete Buttigieg. I genuinely feel that Pete would be great for this country, and maybe he’ll have his opportunity in the future. But tomorrow, I’ll be changing my voter registration from Democrat to Independent

:rolleyes:

She has since appeared on Fox & Friends. She's also been featured on The Blaze and she recently has at least a couple tweets about the mistreatment of Trump supporters by mean liberals. She also has a post explaining that she actually left the Dems before November so obviously "the rally" wasn't the thing.
Of course. Anytime someone from the "other" side has a change of heart or says something good about "your" side, it's something they want to talk up. That's entirely expected. 

If a reverse article were written and a Trump voter went to a Buttigieg rally and found them super appealing and wrote a "Trump voters had better wake up based on what I saw at the rally", MSNBC would love to have them on. 

She uses Klobuchar as an example in this work. I snipped her differentiators in light of her new support for Trump.  

When Leadership Turns Toxic: The Fine Line Between Being Tough And Being A Bully At Work

Karlyn Borysenko

So, how can you tell the difference between when your boss is being tough and when they've crossed the line into workplace bullying, regardless of the gender they identify with? Where is the line? Here are some differentiators to consider.

Tough bosses have bad days. Bullies are consistently bad. 

Tough bosses drive you to produce your best work. Bullies rule through fear.

Tough bosses are strategic. Bullies are irrational. 

Tough bosses are tough on everyone. Bullies have specific targets and play favorites.

With Trump, every single person was unified around a singular goal. With the Democrats, the audience booed over candidates they didn’t like and got into literal shouting matches with each other. With Trump, there was a genuinely optimistic view of the future. With the Democrats, it was doom and gloom. With Trump, there was a genuine feeling of pride of being an American. With the Democrats, they emphasized that the country was a racist place from top to bottom.

This passage is either really disingenuous or ignorant of the political realities at work.  It's the difference between an ongoing primary battle and an incumbent rally.  Has she forgotten the last round of GOP primaries?  They were plenty ugly. We had Donald Trump attacking Ted Cruz' wife, fcs.   And I don't recall a lot of "doom and gloom" from the Dems when Obama was up for reelection.  When your side is in charge you talk about how good things are.  And when you're not in charge you talk about how bad things are.  The whole #MAGA thing was basically the idea that "American sucks right now but we're going to make it great again.  

Of course. Anytime someone from the "other" side has a change of heart or says something good about "your" side, it's something they want to talk up. That's entirely expected. 

If a reverse article were written and a Trump voter went to a Buttigieg rally and found them super appealing and wrote a "Trump voters had better wake up based on what I saw at the rally", MSNBC would love to have them on. 
I’m not complaining about her being on Fox & Friends, I’m just pointing at her claims of being non-political. Obviously just appearing on Fox doesn’t discredit her.

eta - I’ll add that F&F is particularly directed to the President and his supporters. It’s hard to think of a comp for MSNBC, it would have to be something particularly partisan.

I’m not complaining about her being on Fox & Friends, I’m just pointing at her claims of being non-political. Obviously just appearing on Fox doesn’t discredit her.

eta - I’ll add that F&F is particularly directed to the President and his supporters. It’s hard to think of a comp for MSNBC, it would have to be something particularly partisan.
Her being on fox and friends is more a result of this article, I think. I learned about her because i follow mollie hemmingway on twitter. She retweeted this author's tweet where she remarked how all of a sudden she had thousands of new followers that were going to be bored when they read through and see her HR tweets. If she continues to offer up political commentary we will know she was full of it, but lots of people get caught up in the moment. 

Not saying you are saying otherwise. Just adding. 

BassNBrew said:
how do you abandon your core principles if you're a true democrat to start with?
You don't and shouldn't. You should treat people from the other side with respect and how you would like to be treated. Is it difficult? Hell yes it is, but for the sake of humanity everyone needs to try or this country will never recover. 

I find it strange that people are all in on crazy Russian collusion stories, pee tapes, quid pro quo, Trump is Hitler and every anti-Trump tweet ever but, y'know, this article about a woman' attending a Trump rally and being surprised at what she found is just impossible to believe.

Crazy times we live in.  I think this article is genuine and right on the nose.  I don't know any of you left-leaning posters, but I can guarantee that I would go out and have a beer with you ANY day of the week regardless if you vote for Biden, Sanders, Warren, etc...   I would never treat someone as a leper because of their politics like a lot on the left do.

That's MY guarantee to you.  :thumbup:

just saw this and it reminded me of this thread—well some of the early comments about knitting communities at least.

Influencer Starts Drama in Knitting Community

apparently she's tied in with a yarn line and giving away her bundle that happens to have the colors named using SJW (the article's choice of words) language

Echo Chamber – Dark Teal
Othering – Light Green
Em-ocean-al Labor – bright ocean blue-green
Purity Spiral – lavender
Virtue Signal – calm purple
Gaslight – Lime and olive
Sitting With My Discomfort – calm mint
Problematic – bright orange variegated
Woke – bright pink-red
Microaggression – pale blue with olive and rust speckles.

Crayola, please pick up the white curtesy phone....

Users who are viewing this thread