What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democrats need to wake the hell up (1 Viewer)

Crime is going to be a much bigger factor than people think. I just moved from the Midwest to Colorado and one thing that is basically identical on Nextdoor is the number of ring videos of break ins and stories of cars being stolen. 

The only thing different about here is there are more replies trying to spin that getting your car broken into isn't a big deal or that they should have locked their doors. Probably because I am in Boulder county, where they pretty much encourage pooping on the street, non meat product poop preferred of course. 
There is no doubt in my mind that crime will be a factor in getting Republicans elected. The question is, what will Republicans do about crime if they win? Let’s get tough, more law and order? Do you think that will make things better? 

The only thing different about here is there are more replies trying to spin that getting your car broken into isn't a big deal or that they should have locked their doors. Probably because I am in Boulder county, where they pretty much encourage pooping on the street, non meat product poop preferred of course. 
This is when you can tell a thinker from an ideologue; a citizen from someone just living in between borders. When those people argue things like that, they beg to be removed from serious conversation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
GF - "Hey honey, why the hell is your computer blowing up? I am trying to sleep"

Me - "I left the notifications on the laptop open on a website, and some dude who goes by tim-whatever keeps bumping threads about himself".

:shrug:   you said you didn't blame Biden in last post.  

Sorry, I thought my position was clearer.  I don't blame Biden for the increase in homicides and violent crimes. 

But Biden shoulders some blame, IMO, for the response by Democrats on the increases.  Some cities, Philadelphia for example, are saying there "isn't a crisis" even though they set a homicide record and continue to push forth with their progressive crime and enforcement policies that don't appear to be effective.  While other cities, San Francisco for example, have increased police presence and moved away from previously unsuccessful progressive policies.  Since he is the head of the party, at the very least he should be pushing local leadership for a more consistent nationwide policy approach to combat the crime in Democratic run cities.       

Joe closed the other thread, but I just want to rant that the COVID response for the last six months has been non-existent to horrible.

With all of the therapeutics, testing, 60% of the people vaxxed, natural immunity covering more, many of the most vulnerable, sadly gone, how in world is it as bad as it ever was?

I feel like the only arrow in their quiver was the vaccine, and now they are floundering badly.  Completely clueless and worthless government response.  

There is no doubt in my mind that crime will be a factor in getting Republicans elected. The question is, what will Republicans do about crime if they win? Let’s get tough, more law and order? Do you think that will make things better? 
Who knows, but that’s not the point of this thread.  This is working against the democrats regardless of a republican plan. The Democrats need their own plan and need to address it if they want to right the ship in this area. Stop the insanity of calling any police reform “defund”.  The name of “defund the police” has already hurt Democrats greatly and I’m not sure if they can recover in time.  That phrase is attributed to them not Republicans

I think a huge chunk of the "crime" issue is really just messaging.  Some of it is substantive, like the decision by some mayors to essentially decriminalize shoplifting, but those are dumb decisions made by relative scrubs at the local level.  Nobody running for congress is pushing this sort of thing. 

Where Democrats can help themselves is by cleaning up the way they talk about crime.  An obvious first step is to STHU about "defund the police."  That phrase should be shot down the memory hole, but not before being Sister Soulja'd by some of the more politically astute Ds.  They also need to break their habit of apologizing for riots and looting -- this is going to be a heavier lift because they've been doing this decades.  

But it's not as if AOC is sponsoring the Burn Down Your Local Target Act of 2021 or anything.  They're okay on policy.  

I mean, basically yes.  More police (which most folks actually want, contrary to a very vocal minority) and prosecutors that actually, you know, prosecute crimes.  Those two simple things will make major impacts on crime in big cities.  Unfortunately, a city like mine will never, ever, ever NOT vote Democrat.  So it will continue its steady decline.

I mean, basically yes.  More police (which most folks actually want, contrary to a very vocal minority) and prosecutors that actually, you know, prosecute crimes.  Those two simple things will make major impacts on crime in big cities.  Unfortunately, a city like mine will never, ever, ever NOT vote Democrat.  So it will continue its steady decline.

Some of the DA's getting elected are a major concern...there is big $ and an agenda behind their candidacies and there does not not seem to be any concern about that...a fish rots from the top down and if these DA's are idealogues with an agenda nothing is going to improve.

Some of the DA's getting elected are a major concern...there is big $ and an agenda behind their candidacies and there does not not seem to be any concern about that...a fish rots from the top down and if these DA's are idealogues with an agenda nothing is going to improve.
Yes and without getting too conspiratorial, it is fairly concerning that a guy like Soros funnels millions and millions of dollars to PACs for local District Attorneys that are super woke, super progressive and whose policies include abolishing bail, decriminalizing shoplifting and theft, refusal to prosecute myriad crimes, etc.  For instance, he has donated tens of millions to Los Angeles DA George Gascon, Chicago DA Kim Foxx, SF Da Chesa Boudin and in my town, DA Larry Krasner.  Each of these cities are dumpster fires w/r/t crime, murder, homelessness, drug addition, and their answers are to do even less to combat it.

Joe closed the other thread, but I just want to rant that the COVID response for the last six months has been non-existent to horrible.

With all of the therapeutics, testing, 60% of the people vaxxed, natural immunity covering more, many of the most vulnerable, sadly gone, how in world is it as bad as it ever was?

I feel like the only arrow in their quiver was the vaccine, and now they are floundering badly.  Completely clueless and worthless government response.  
What would you do differently?

I will die in this hill, but I believe that “defund the police” is a racist policy.  It elevates the troublemakers at the expense of the vast majority law biding, in communities that are disproportionately of color.  

Putting police misconduct towards a few criminals at the top of the concern list and bucketing entire law abiding communities into that same group seems really racist.

As I wrote earlier, I believe that Biden and the Democrats are doing a terrible job messaging about Covid: But I disagree that they’re actually doing a poor job overall. 
There are two main reasons we have a Covid problem: new, more powerful strains keep appearing, and 40% of the population refuse to be vaccinated. I don’t know what Biden is supposed to actually do about these two things. But he certainly needs to talk about it better. 

I will die in this hill, but I believe that “defund the police” is a racist policy.  It elevates the troublemakers at the expense of the vast majority law biding, in communities that are disproportionately of color.  

Putting police misconduct towards a few criminals at the top of the concern list and bucketing entire law abiding communities into that same group seems really racist.
Can you please share the areas in which "Defund the Police" has morphed from a stupid slogan into actual concrete policy?

As I wrote earlier, I believe that Biden and the Democrats are doing a terrible job messaging about Covid: But I disagree that they’re actually doing a poor job overall. 
There are two main reasons we have a Covid problem: new, more powerful strains keep appearing, and 40% of the population refuse to be vaccinated. I don’t know what Biden is supposed to actually do about these two things. But he certainly needs to talk about it better. 
What happens if/when this Omicron variant sweeps over the country may impact him as well.  From the way it appears, many vaccinated people are likely to get it anyway.  It also appears to be much milder.  As someone who has been vaccinated and had a booster, I'm not interested in any more shutdowns/lockdowns.  I think everyone has gotten vaccinated if they wanted to, those who haven't have that right, but it's time we live our lives.  If we start shutting down schools, limiting capacities, closing venues, canceling events, it's only going to get worse on the administration.  

1. Pretty simple answer, $1500 stimulus per person who takes both shots, $500 per booster.  That 40% would drop to 10% in no time.

2. Ban mass indoor gatherings anytime the covid case rate is over x amount.

3. Don't pay medical bills for any non-vaccinated covid patients.

4. One time federal holiday the day after the Super Bowl for anyone who is vaccinated.  We could call it Patriot Day.

1. Pretty simple answer, $1500 stimulus per person who takes both shots, $500 per booster.  That 40% would drop to 10% in no time.

4. One time federal holiday the day after the Super Bowl for anyone who is vaccinated.  We could call it Patriot Day.
I love your first idea, but neither Biden nor the Democrats have the power to do that by themselves. Will Republicans agree to that kind of spending? Based on recent history I doubt it. 

1. I'm all for this.

2. Works for me.

3. With you on government paying these bills, extended to "non-vaxxed and not properly boosted".  Private insurance should do their own thing.

4. One-time?  Permanent.

But the bolded?  Geez.  You think the Democrats are bad at messaging now?  This would be sticking a finger in the eye of fans of 31 other teams.  Let's call it "Lombardi Day" or "Hangover Day".

I love your first idea, but neither Biden nor the Democrats have the power to do that by themselves. Will Republicans agree to that kind of spending? Based on recent history I doubt it. 
Messaging.  Throw it out there and dare the GOP to oppose it.  Blame the GOP if they do.

What happens if/when this Omicron variant sweeps over the country may impact him as well.  From the way it appears, many vaccinated people are likely to get it anyway.  It also appears to be much milder.  As someone who has been vaccinated and had a booster, I'm not interested in any more shutdowns/lockdowns.  I think everyone has gotten vaccinated if they wanted to, those who haven't have that right, but it's time we live our lives.  If we start shutting down schools, limiting capacities, closing venues, canceling events, it's only going to get worse on the administration.  
Nobody wants more shutdowns, I suspect Biden least of all. 
But the key to how serious Omicron will be is hospital beds. If hospital beds get filled with Covid patients to the point where there is little or no room for other sickness, you’re going to see more shutdowns. 

If it isn't obvious by now, whomever the President was, there was going to be a large swath of the population that opposed the COVID strategy regardless of what the President says or does.  
I really doubt anyone but Trump would have denied its initial existence and especially clouded it all as a hoax by the opposing party.  That's only Trump. 

You mean the recent history where Trump, Republicans, and Democrats all voted for stimulus checks to assist people during the initial shutdown?

1. I'm all for this.

2. Works for me.

3. With you on government paying these bills, extended to "non-vaxxed and not properly boosted".  Private insurance should do their own thing.

4. One-time?  Permanent.

But the bolded?  Geez.  You think the Democrats are bad at messaging now?  This would be sticking a finger in the eye of fans of 31 other teams.  Let's call it "Lombardi Day" or "Hangover Day".

The Patriot Day was a joke to fire up the Pats haters and a pun on the term used by the right.  It would be kind of funny to co-opt the term Patriot and turn it into pro-vax.

You mean the recent history where Trump, Republicans, and Democrats all voted for stimulus checks to assist people during the initial shutdown?
Good point but that was before Republicans chose to publicly align themselves with the anti-vaxxer types within their party. 

I really doubt anyone but Trump would have denied its initial existence and especially clouded it all as a hoax by the opposing party.  That's only Trump. 

True, but Joe made the statement about someone with 200K covid deathes not being fit to lead.  Joe set his own bar.

Problem again is, the party has to seriously limit his exposure.  They cant just let him talk more about it or talk about it better.  Him doing any more talking than what is strictly laid out for him ,has proven to be a bad idea.   I'm not being snarky with that reply either, I genuinely believe that.  I'm sure they would love to get him up there so he can have a real heart to heart with the American people about these things, but he simply doesn't have it in him.

Good point but that was before Republicans chose to publicly align themselves with the anti-vaxxer types within their party. 

Republicans are like Hillary.  They'll spit on their finger and raise it in the air...if the wind is blowing in favor of checks to Americans they will support it.

Nobody wants more shutdowns, I suspect Biden least of all. 
But the key to how serious Omicron will be is hospital beds. If hospital beds get filled with Covid patients to the point where there is little or no room for other sickness, you’re going to see more shutdowns. 
I get it if hospitals are setting up tents outside in parking decks and things of that nature.  It hurts when we see healthy athletes who have no symptoms unable to compete in events, events cancelled due to that, things of that nature. We can disagree over whether that should occur but I think it hurts the administration politically because it's seen as the government forcing those things.  We've seen a couple college basketball games already get cancelled and I know in Canada they've started back to limited capacities in arenas.  If we see that here, I suspect we will see new lows and uncharted waters for the President's numbers.

Here are the defund the police initiatives that were enacted for FY2021 in Philadelphia, PA:

https://phlcouncil.com/city-council-votes-to-approve-fy2021-budget-that-reduces-police-spending-supports-police-reforms-invests-in-affordable-housing-anti-poverty-programs-and-other-measures-to-address-disparities-in-phi/

"City Council today approved a fiscal year 2021 city budget that reduces funding to the Police Department by $33 million ...

... Council voted to approve three significant reform bills addressing the police department in various ways.

Council voted 16-1 to approve Bill 200363, a reform restoring a city law requiring all applicants for civil service jobs, including the police force, to be residents of Philadelphia for one year prior to their hiring ... Council voted unanimously in favor of Resolution 200080, placing a Home Rule Charter question on the November ballot for voters to call on the Police Department to eliminate the practice of unconstitutional stop and frisk .... Council voted 16-1 in favor of Bill 200367, placing a Home Rule Charter change question on the November ballot asking voters to authorize the creation of a Citizens Police Oversight Commission, which would replace an existing Police Advisory Commission and have enforcement powers to investigate allegations of police wrongdoing ...

... Two other policing reforms by Councilmembers received first-reading approval today, and will be on the calendar for final passage when Council returns.

Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson’s legislation, Bill 200368, banning the use of chokeholds by city law enforcement, received first reading.

Councilmember Katherine Gilmore Richardson’s legislation, Bill 2000364, requiring a public hearing process before any changes are made to the collective bargaining agreement with the police union, also received first reading today in Council.

Budget Actions on Policing

The budget approved today by Council reduced funding for the Police Department by $33.3 million – $14 million more in reductions than Council and the mayor agreed upon two weeks ago ..."

I get it if hospitals are setting up tents outside in parking decks and things of that nature.  It hurts when we see healthy athletes who have no symptoms unable to compete in events, events cancelled due to that, things of that nature. We can disagree over whether that should occur but I think it hurts the administration politically because it's seen as the government forcing those things.  We've seen a couple college basketball games already get cancelled and I know in Canada they've started back to limited capacities in arenas.  If we see that here, I suspect we will see new lows and uncharted waters for the President's numbers.

If we see surgeries postponed again due to bed shortages that won't go over either.

Here are the defund the police initiatives that were enacted for FY2021 in Philadelphia, PA:

https://phlcouncil.com/city-council-votes-to-approve-fy2021-budget-that-reduces-police-spending-supports-police-reforms-invests-in-affordable-housing-anti-poverty-programs-and-other-measures-to-address-disparities-in-phi/

"City Council today approved a fiscal year 2021 city budget that reduces funding to the Police Department by $33 million ...

... Council voted to approve three significant reform bills addressing the police department in various ways.

Council voted 16-1 to approve Bill 200363, a reform restoring a city law requiring all applicants for civil service jobs, including the police force, to be residents of Philadelphia for one year prior to their hiring ... Council voted unanimously in favor of Resolution 200080, placing a Home Rule Charter question on the November ballot for voters to call on the Police Department to eliminate the practice of unconstitutional stop and frisk .... Council voted 16-1 in favor of Bill 200367, placing a Home Rule Charter change question on the November ballot asking voters to authorize the creation of a Citizens Police Oversight Commission, which would replace an existing Police Advisory Commission and have enforcement powers to investigate allegations of police wrongdoing ...

... Two other policing reforms by Councilmembers received first-reading approval today, and will be on the calendar for final passage when Council returns.

Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson’s legislation, Bill 200368, banning the use of chokeholds by city law enforcement, received first reading.

Councilmember Katherine Gilmore Richardson’s legislation, Bill 2000364, requiring a public hearing process before any changes are made to the collective bargaining agreement with the police union, also received first reading today in Council.

Budget Actions on Policing

The budget approved today by Council reduced funding for the Police Department by $33.3 million – $14 million more in reductions than Council and the mayor agreed upon two weeks ago ..."
This should definitely help the surging murder rate throughout the city and the insane drug epidemic tearing through Kenzo.  I’m so glad the wife and I moved out of the city 6 years ago.  

unckeyherb said:
This should definitely help the surging murder rate throughout the city and the insane drug epidemic tearing through Kenzo.  I’m so glad the wife and I moved out of the city 6 years ago.  

Still here, but getting really close to calling it quits.  

What a disaster. I can’t blame you, or anyone else, for voting Republican when stuff like this goes down. I wouldn’t do so myself, because of a variety of other issues important to me in which I prefer the Democratic side, but I get it. 

What a disaster. I can’t blame you, or anyone else, for voting Republican when stuff like this goes down. I wouldn’t do so myself, because of a variety of other issues important to me in which I prefer the Democratic side, but I get it. 

You can't even vote Republican, the actual local elections occur in the Democratic primaries.  Satan (D-PA) could be running against Jesus Christ (R-PA) and Satan would win in Philadelphia by a landslide.  It wouldn't even matter what platform he ran on, people just vote blindly Democrat here.

You can't even vote Republican, the actual local elections occur in the Democratic primaries.  Satan (D-PA) could be running against Jesus Christ (R-PA) and Satan would win in Philadelphia by a landslide.  It wouldn't even matter what platform he ran on, people just vote blindly Democrat here.
Actually both Jesus Christ and God are residents of Santa Monica according to the last census. Jesus votes Democrat but God is a staunch (R). 

Love my Eagles but very good I don’t live there. 😂

Yep.  To find the last Republican mayor in Philly you’d have to time travel back to Barney Samuel who served from 1941 to 1952.  To put it in perspective, he was born in 1880.  

Come on out to Delco my friend.  There’s still some sanity here.  Although that is changing as more and more democrats that have the means, are moving out of the city and into our towns.

Come on out to Delco my friend.  There’s still some sanity here.  Although that is changing as more and more democrats that have the means, are moving out of the city and into our towns.

Problem is a house goes on the market in within a day there are 30 offers at 10% over asking price.  

unckeyherb said:
How many times do you suppose the police stop a murder in progress or before it happens?

Users who are viewing this thread