What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Denard 'Shoelace' Robinson and his Chris Johnson potential (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Denard Robinson will return kicks and be a change-of-pace back this season.

Second-round rookie T.J. Yeldon is locked and loaded as a feature back, leaving Robinson and Toby Gerhart to fight for leftovers. The 197-pound Shoelace was never a realistic long-term option as a feature back anyway, but will fit well as a pace-changer. The former college quarterback showed a quick learning curve last year, averaging 4.31 YPC on his 135 carries.

Related: T.J. Yeldon

Source: ESPN.com
May 14 - 12:55 PM

Obviously they want Yeldon to be the guy but there's no guarantees with rookies.
That's what I'm hoping. As an owner of Denard, I hope Yeldon will miss his blocking assignments, does something stupid and then coaches will tell us, there's a learning curve.

Meanwhile, Denard will play the first games and shines like a star. Then they just can't keep Denard of the field and the rest is history.

It's not like stupider things haven't happened in NFL :unsure:

Obviously they want Yeldon to be the guy but there's no guarantees with rookies.
That's what I'm hoping. As an owner of Denard, I hope Yeldon will miss his blocking assignments, does something stupid and then coaches will tell us, there's a learning curve.

Meanwhile, Denard will play the first games and shines like a star. Then they just can't keep Denard of the field and the rest is history.

Hope the better player fails because you own his backup?

That's what I'm hoping. As an owner of Denard, I hope Yeldon will miss his blocking assignments, does something stupid and then coaches will tell us, there's a learning curve.Meanwhile, Denard will play the first games and shines like a star. Then they just can't keep Denard of the field and the rest is history.

Hope the better player fails because you own his backup?
He's a highly drafted rookie.

We haven't seen if he's the better player.

It's not really even that uncommon. Backs have been drafted much higher than Yeldon and not been able to beat out the incumbent, who's fantasy value had tanked with the rookie coming in.

Thomas Jones with Cedric Benson (5th overall) and DeAngelo Williams with Jonathan Stewart (13th overall) both immediately come to mind.

I project (guess) Yeldon to get 60% of the carries, but Robinson (as a COP back) getting more targets (12% as opposed to 4% for Yeldon)

Is that reasonable?

FreeBaGeL said:
Fireinside said:
That's what I'm hoping. As an owner of Denard, I hope Yeldon will miss his blocking assignments, does something stupid and then coaches will tell us, there's a learning curve.Meanwhile, Denard will play the first games and shines like a star. Then they just can't keep Denard of the field and the rest is history.

It's not really even that uncommon. Backs have been drafted much higher than Yeldon and not been able to beat out the incumbent, who's fantasy value had tanked with the rookie coming in.

Thomas Jones with Cedric Benson (5th overall) and DeAngelo Williams with Jonathan Stewart (13th overall) both immediately come to mind.
Are those really good examples though? Jones and DWill were also 1st round draft picks......not even remotely comparable to Denard.

Yeldon can be a 3 down back. He can catch and I have seen him do some good things as a check down and wheel routes. He could get 20 touches a game.

Yeldon can be a 3 down back. He can catch and I have seen him do some good things as a check down and wheel routes. He could get 20 touches a game.
Plus he'll clearly be the goalline back. If they're already talking kick returns and change of pace he's done opportunity wise. I'll have to watch this kid. I I think a lot of people may avoid Jax becuase it's Jax and how bad they've been. Could be some opportunity.

If Yeldon breaks one more long run, I think he is the only RB with 1,000 rushing yards in his first three seasons in Alabama history.

I think he is underrated for a few reasons.

1) He wasn't "the man" at Alabama, but he split time with some talented other RBs, like Eddie Lacy (but Lacy in turn also split time with Yeldon, and turned out OK).

2) Didn't run a a 4.4 (but you could say that about a lot of successful RBs).

3) JAX is perceived as a weak offense destination, but will it always be so (maybe his presence will make it better).

4) Gurley and Gordon stole his thunder, as the only first round RBs since 2012 (if not for them, I think he may have been the highest drafted RB in the past three drafts, which includes some good ones, like Bell, Lacy, Hill and Bernard?).

I'm impressed with him as a runner, especially his smooth, gliding style, and effortless movement skills, COD ability and elusiveness for a RB around 225 lbs. Barring injury, imo he carves out a large role for himself.

FreeBaGeL said:
Fireinside said:

Are those really good examples though? Jones and DWill were also 1st round draft picks......not even remotely comparable to Denard.
Fred Jackson bested Beastmode and Spiller who were both highly drafted.

FreeBaGeL said:
Fireinside said:

Fred Jackson bested Beastmode and Spiller who were both highly drafted.
Denard showed promise and now is one year wiser, so let's just see how this goes. Not giving up on him, as there's not much value there anyhow.

Rotoworld:

Denard Robinson is expected to sub in for T.J. Yeldon "to begin certain possessions."

Yeldon has already been named the starter and three-down back. But the Jags aren't going to give him Le'Veon Bell/DeMarco Murray treatment, meaning Robinson and Toby Gerhart will have roles. Robinson projects for 4-7 touches per game plus kick return work out of the gate.

Source: Florida Times Union
Jun 29 - 8:40 AM

Plus he'll clearly be the goalline back. If they're already talking kick returns and change of pace he's done opportunity wise. I'll have to watch this kid. I I think a lot of people may avoid Jax becuase it's Jax and how bad they've been. Could be some opportunity.
I don't think the Jags are good enough to even remotely consistently give Yeldon 20 a game. You just can't do that without getting blown out unless you're pretty good and pretty balanced.

With that being said, IF the Jags are much more competitive than I think they will be, Yeldon is probably the rookie to do it this year because the Jags are clearly trying to give him the opportunity and that's great. For Robinson, Johnson and Gerhardt whom so many people were loving last year, that value is GONE, barring year-ending injury. People are kidding themselves if they think this offense can help those guys because if the Jags ARE good, it will be largely because of Yeldon if they aren't, its what we've seen for a while now. Can't make a consistent living on a team like that in fantasy.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Jaguars reporter Mike DiRocco said RB Denard Robinson has a chance to open the season as the starter.

DiRocco has consistently questioned rookie T.J Yeldon's early-season workload this offseason, but this one seems unlikely. The Jaguars used Yeldon as a three-down back in his first preseason action with Robinson filling in as a change-of-pace option. Robinson has played well, but Yeldon has much more upside.

Source: ESPN

Aug 29 - 11:56 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Jaguars reporter Mike DiRocco said RB Denard Robinson has a chance to open the season as the starter.DiRocco has consistently questioned rookie T.J Yeldon's early-season workload this offseason, but this one seems unlikely. The Jaguars used Yeldon as a three-down back in his first preseason action with Robinson filling in as a change-of-pace option. Robinson has played well, but Yeldon has much more upside.

Source: ESPN

Aug 29 - 11:56 AM
So your saying he has a chance

Rotoworld:

Coach Gus Bradley said the Jaguars must "find a way" to get Denard Robinson the ball.
Robinson saw a season-high 10 touches with T.J. Yeldon sidelined in Week 6 but didn't play a snap Sunday against Buffalo. Shoelace can help the Jaguars in the passing game, but isn't big enough to be anything more than a situational back. Despite Bradley's comments, it's unlikely Robinson will emerge as anything more than a role player.

Source: Mark Long on Twitter
Oct 27 - 1:22 PM

I just added him and lost JStew this week, so gonna flex him. Hard to believe i am going into the semi's with 3, possibly 4 jax players. (Bortles, D.Robinson, A.Robinson and possibly A.Hurns.)

I'm strangely still concerned that Yeldon will play this week, and I more or less expect Denard to be a one week play only at most anyway. It's strange because it's not like Yeldon is a multi-year vet who has repeatedly played when hurt, but he has already done so this year. I probably feel this way because it's been a bad luck year for me. I just know that if I pick up Denard, Yeldon will be a surprise active (even though my rational side is telling me it's highly unlikely Yeldon is back before week 16).

I'm strangely still concerned that Yeldon will play this week, and I more or less expect Denard to be a one week play only at most anyway. It's strange because it's not like Yeldon is a multi-year vet who has repeatedly played when hurt, but he has already done so this year. I probably feel this way because it's been a bad luck year for me. I just know that if I pick up Denard, Yeldon will be a surprise active (even though my rational side is telling me it's highly unlikely Yeldon is back before week 16).
yeldon was already declared out.

What's the source? According to his coach a couple hours ago, it didn't seem like a decision had been made yet:

Gus at the podium now: "I've seen TJ really progress from Monday to today. He's a fast healer as well, so we will see." #Jaguars

— Sam Kouvaris (@samsportsline) December 16, 2015

Yeah, I hadn't heard that yet either. Maybe thinking of Stewart?

Yeah, I hadn't heard that yet either. Maybe thinking of Stewart?
some jags beat writer tweeted it

He feels like a no-brainer RB1 given the match-up and opportunity. I'm not missing anything here am I?
yeah, but it's jax.

any other 'red flags' ?
Not sure if sarcasm. But just in case..

JAC has averaged the 9th most points per game this year. The name of the team is irrelevant, their offense has seemed to have turned a corner both in real life and in fantasy this year. Take into account that ATL has allowed the 3rd most points to RBs this year, that Yeldon averaged ~20 touches and game and Robinson has fresh legs and I think he finishes as a top 10 RB this week barring injury.

He feels like a no-brainer RB1 given the match-up and opportunity. I'm not missing anything here am I?
yeah, but it's jax.

any other 'red flags' ?
Not sure if sarcasm. But just in case..

JAC has averaged the 9th most points per game this year. The name of the team is irrelevant, their offense has seemed to have turned a corner both in real life and in fantasy this year. Take into account that ATL has allowed the 3rd most points to RBs this year, that Yeldon averaged ~20 touches and game and Robinson has fresh legs and I think he finishes as a top 10 RB this week barring injury.
:goodposting:

Going to play him over Draughn. Based on the early cheatsheets, the FBG experts seem to be somewhat divided. In my scoring system (0.5 PPR), Tremblay and Bloom rate him as a tail-end RB1 but Dodds has him as a low RB2.

Going to play him over Draughn. Based on the early cheatsheets, the FBG experts seem to be somewhat divided. In my scoring system (0.5 PPR), Tremblay and Bloom rate him as a tail-end RB1 but Dodds has him as a low RB2.
I am also playing him over Draughn. After last week, I think it is pretty clear that he is done. I would only play him if I had no other options. If he can't even reach his 10 point floor in ppr, he is worthless because the ceiling is only about 15.

Denard had some great games in that offense last year and they are looking hot, are at home and are playing a weak team.

Does his fumble that was recovered 17 yards behind the line of scrimmage really count as a -17 yard run against him?

Denard Robinson drove his car into a retention pond early Sunday morning, but the police determined he was not drunk.
In a truly baffling story, Robinson and a female companion drove a car into a pond and "fell asleep." The police, who arrived at 4:20 AM, struggled to wake Robinson upon their arrival. It's nearly impossible to believe this could happen to a person who wasn't intoxicated, alas, miracles apparently happen. This should be the end of the story.

Source: Florida Times Union 
Jul 5 - 6:23 PM

The officers must be training to investigate Presidential candidates for leaking classified information.

Users who are viewing this thread