What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Denard 'Shoelace' Robinson and his Chris Johnson potential (1 Viewer)

Not many everydown Rbs around. I dont see anything wrong with 30% of a budget. I got him for $15 in one league and was ecstatic. He went for $101 in my other. Thats nut IMO
Dollar amounts don't mean a lot. What are those in % of cap ?
sorry $15 out of $100 and $101 out of $200
In my leagues-It's getting near playoff time. Might as well spend this money and get who ya want rather than be frugal and end the year with a large amount of $ left unspent. In each of my leagues, the WW is so very thin making him look like gold. I took a moment to scan for backup RBs in one league and maybe handcuff before the playoffs. At quick glance, I think every starting RB and immediate backup is rostered. I threw extra $ in the bid at this point otherwise I'm basically hoping for a 3rd stringer to become a starter and be available on the WW.
Yep. This is where I was at also. I was surprised to see Denard still on the wire in a dynasty league with very little more than bye-week fillers available this far into the season. I threw $70 (out of $100) and was thrilled to get him at this price. I can cover bye weeks for $0 after waivers run each week and with this pick up, there is at least the possibility of having landed a future startable rb. I'll take that shot every time.

I have not seen a single mention of the Waiver Wire of the Year (redraft). I think he is on that level/pace.
I picked him up before his first start, and have been rewarded. But I think Forsett and Sanu, and now Bryant, have been at another level in terms of guys who went wholly undrafted in 12-team leagues. And, while Mark Ingram was drafted late in most 12-team leagues, he went undrafted in many 10-team leagues.

ETA: How did I forget Hillman? Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
He still does not seem to get much respect. Most commentators think it is a matter of time before he gets injured. Maybe that will happen, but it sure seems that even "big" RBs get injured pretty often. Meanwhile, little guys like Forsett, Ellington and Hillman keep on racking up points.

Props for a great call here. I didn't invest in dynasty but got in ahead of the curve in a keeper league where he may have saved my season.

Skeptics coming around to Denard?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11826835

"If you squint you can see a young Chris Johnson." LOL
I really try not to be an I told you so person, but there are some poster's from earlier in this thread that leave me with an itchy trigger finger. One in particular.Keeping an open mind will do some people better in life. Myself included...just not in this case.
thanks for restraining. Wouldn't want this to take a turn like some other RB threads here...

I really try not to be an I told you so person, but there are some poster's from earlier in this thread that leave me with an itchy trigger finger. One in particular.

Keeping an open mind will do some people better in life. Myself included...just not in this case.
MAC - good call, or at least it looks that way right now.

I'll admit to being somewhat wrong about him.

I'm a big fan and took him 2.02 in our rookie draft. It's a 32 team league though, pick #34, so same place you did. Doubt he will ever be a top guy but he will have a role.
If Denard can put it together (which seems questionable) there's no reason he can't get something like 20 yards rushing, 3-5 receptions for 20-30 yards, and 20-30 yards passing. that's somewhere in the 6-12 point range in PPR (depends on scoring obviously, but Sproles-lite like). If your league gives return points, that might add a couple. Not stellar, but not too shabby for a flex or RB2 (if you go elsewhere early)
don't break your arm patting yourself on the back though.

I'll dump him before the auction and rookie draft if the jags add a back.

I really try not to be an I told you so person, but there are some poster's from earlier in this thread that leave me with an itchy trigger finger. One in particular.

Keeping an open mind will do some people better in life. Myself included...just not in this case.
MAC - good call, or at least it looks that way right now.

I'll admit to being somewhat wrong about him.

I'm a big fan and took him 2.02 in our rookie draft. It's a 32 team league though, pick #34, so same place you did. Doubt he will ever be a top guy but he will have a role.
If Denard can put it together (which seems questionable) there's no reason he can't get something like 20 yards rushing, 3-5 receptions for 20-30 yards, and 20-30 yards passing. that's somewhere in the 6-12 point range in PPR (depends on scoring obviously, but Sproles-lite like). If your league gives return points, that might add a couple. Not stellar, but not too shabby for a flex or RB2 (if you go elsewhere early)
don't break your arm patting yourself on the back though.

I'll dump him before the auction and rookie draft if the jags add a back.
lol, I got real discouraged in the 2nd half last year when he didn't get more run despite the Jags being way out of it.

Made sense later. The nerve issue came back, as did the fumble issues, and the staff over whelmed him with multiple positions rather than just one role. This offseason they had him focus on one role, he put on 10 pounds, his nerve issue got better, and he stopped putting the ball on the turf - boom, stud.

FUBAR said:
Why the nickname Shoelace?
If you've watched a Jags game he typically trips on them multiple times a game. And has lost his shoes a few times. This was a major issue during the infamous mud-bowl where he was unable to keep any sort of traction whenever he lost his cletes.

I'd guess his per carry average would increase 1-2 yards if the coaching staff forced him to tie his shoes. I think it helps that most of his games are blacked out because the fans don't see this issue and don't get to complain.

don't want to get too far ahead of myself but I'm getting pretty excited that I picked him up in my keeper league. He's got the talent and opportunity and the way the Jags were running when he got the job if I told you he'd run for 127, 108 and 94 yards with 2 tds and 5.8 ypc I would've been laughed out of the forums.

This is exactly why you can't over think these situations when they pop up…all I heard was the Jags stink, they don't get more than 15 carries a game, RBs have run for 3.? ypc…not only from the boards but this was from "experts" on podcasts and siriusxm. I thought they were nuts to discount him because a talented player can flip the script and change the way things operate. I certainly didn't expect this but from hearing his story and knowing his talent you knew they were going to give him a decent shot.

According to the story posted by BeTheMatch, he's at 215 lbs. right now. 5' 11" and 215 - which is about the same size as McCoy, J. Charles and Lynch. Just sayin' :thumbup:

Denard certainly had flaws as a college QB but he had a lot of features that I thought (even when he was in college) would give him a shot at transitioning to NFL. He had legit top speed, read blocks very well as a running QB, tough as nails, an amazing attitude (his teammates loved him) and he had incredible work ethic. Lots of people who get to the NFL work hard. But not everyone with Denard's natural talent or who got the attention he did as a QB are willing to work like he does. He quietly transformed his body and his skills to become a RB. A very rare combination of talent and dedication. Meanwhile, he always comes off as one the absolute nicest guys in sports having the most fun playing a game.

Glad I own him in one dynasty league to see how he continues to progress.

Rotoworld:

Denard Robinson rushed 15 times for 60 yards and two touchdowns against the Cowboys Week 10.

Robinson broke loose down the sideline for a 32-yard touchdown in the first quarter, and scored on a 1-yard run deep into garbage time after Toby Gerhart was stuffed on first down. Robinson again dominated the running back work, out-carrying Gerhart 15-to-4. He has sparked the Jaguars' rushing attack, and should hold onto the job the rest of the year.

Nov 9 - 4:52 PM

Great story. As a Michigan fan I believed his running ability was good enough to translate because he knows how to be patient with blocks, start and stop like a jitter bug. But I didn't think he could get big and powerful enough. He has.

It seems too obvious a comparison with Chris Johnson but the similarities are hard to ignore. Love that I got him in dynasty.

The only negative today in Denard's game was that he had his first fumble of the year. His pass blocking looked pretty good.

Has he actually lined up for any snaps at WR this year? Hunted around a bit and couldn't find a breakdown anywhere.

Has he actually lined up for any snaps at WR this year? Hunted around a bit and couldn't find a breakdown anywhere.
I have seen him line up out wide in the games, but not really any more often then other teams who line their main RB out wide in empty backfield formations

"For Denard, you’ve got to give him all the credit, and the coaching staff, for his development," Jaguars GM David Caldwell said. "Over the offseason he got serious about football, gained about 20 pounds, maintained his weight and he’s just going to continue to get better. I think there’s even a higher ceiling for him than where he’s at now."
AMEN BROTHA!!! PREACH IT!!! :tebow: :towelwave: :pickle: :popcorn: :moneybag: :banned:

Not his best day - low YPC, fumble - but good to see him involved in the passing game. Gerhart was 4-31 running the ball but the coaches seem committed to Denard, good to see they didn't panic when he turned it over.

Tough decisions going forward; started Shoelace over Crowell today.

Not his best day - low YPC, fumble - but good to see him involved in the passing game. Gerhart was 4-31 running the ball but the coaches seem committed to Denard, good to see they didn't panic when he turned it over.

Tough decisions going forward; started Shoelace over Crowell today.
So what's the tough decision?

Users who are viewing this thread