What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Derrick Johnson (1 Viewer)

Flyman75

Footballguy
What's going on with Derrick Johnson this year? Just two years ago he was the 7th ranked LB in my tackle-heavy IDP league. Last year he dropped off but was still putting up LB2 numbers when he was healthy. This year he's been a ghost out there...he had only three tackles despite playing every snap Monday night. He had a solid season opener, but has only put up 9 solos and no assists since then. 

Anyone with any insight as to what's going on with his lack of production? Has Father Time finally caught up to him? 

Father time is certainly gaining...Johnson doesn't fly all over the field the way he used to, so he can be schemed away.

I also think we're seeing the impact of increasing talent around him.  More other guys are scooping up tackles that might have gotten into the second level in previous years.

In my opinion, start looking for some younger options going forward.

What's going on with Derrick Johnson this year? Just two years ago he was the 7th ranked LB in my tackle-heavy IDP league. Last year he dropped off but was still putting up LB2 numbers when he was healthy. This year he's been a ghost out there...he had only three tackles despite playing every snap Monday night. He had a solid season opener, but has only put up 9 solos and no assists since then. 

Anyone with any insight as to what's going on with his lack of production? Has Father Time finally caught up to him? 
Yep.  He looks terrible.  I noted this in the Ragland post and thought Ramik Wilson would take over.  The second part hasn't happened, but DJ looks very old and slow out there.  I'd buy Ragland everywhere I could.

It is for sure an age thing but don't discount 2 Achilles tears in the last three years.  That injury really zaps your quickness especially when you are up there in years.  I mean after I tore my Achilles I couldn't dunk and lost considerable quickness of my first step........granted I couldn't dunk before the injury and my first step wasn't quick to begin with but it still zapped any quickness I had......hahahaha

Ragland is replacing him gradually. I think it's time to give up on Ramik...
I don't doubt that. Ragland hasn't done much to create value for himself either. He played 42% of snaps in his first game as a starter and did jack####. From USA Today:

-Reggie Ragland got the start at Mike inside linebacker instead of Ramik Wilson this week. Ragland saw 42 percent of the snaps, which is about how often defensive coordinator Bob Sutton uses Mike LBs. Ragland tallied one tackle. Meanwhile, Wilson saw only four special teams snaps.
It might be simply time to move on from them all of them for the time being.

I don't doubt that. Ragland hasn't done much to create value for himself either. He played 42% of snaps in his first game as a starter and did jack####. From USA Today:

It might be simply time to move on from them all of them for the time being.
It might be...I wouldn't want to start anyone but Houston from that corps.

I still hold out hope that Ragland can grow into something better...he' a taxi squad keeper in my assessment, in any league with reasonably deep idp requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread