What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did You Make a Play For 2023 Picks? How’d it Turn Out? (1 Viewer)

What's funny is how I (we, mostly, I would guess) like to look at what I sold and hope it loses value so that it "was a good trade". But once the asset is gone ... it really makes no difference whether it goes up or down or stays the same. If the player/pick becomes a dynasty top 10 overall player ... you don't own him. If he becomes barely rosterable ... you also don't own him. Just like stock trading too ... if you sell $1,000 worth of shares, and those same shares become worth $200 the next day, you probably celebrate; if they become worth $5,000, you're probably kicking yourself. But once you sold those shares, you no longer have them, no matter what happens to their value, so your net worth is 100% unchanged by its future movements (assuming you don't have any other shares of that security). The only difference it makes is to the hypthetical "what if I didn't sell?" question. Which doesn't matter. Because you did sell. But it can be so hard not to think that way.
There is one aspect of this that’s relevant though - I sold Mike Evans, Chris Carson, Engram, Ingram, Fuller, ARob, Hopkins and several other aging assets because I predicted the assets would fall in value.

And over time that prediction has proved somewhat accurate. ARob & Carson both missed significant time in 2021 (Carson’s career ended), Hopkins was hurt / suspended, Evans had a nice 2021 but has fallen off of a cliff this year, etc.

You’re correct that those results do not affect my current team in the slightest. But it is definitely a good feeling to know you got out from under an asset before the floor fell out.

It may be immaterial to my current roster, but following your gut to act on a logical strategy is a learning moment.

In the league of this particular rebuild, the ~7 competing teams are all doing so with rapidly aging rosters - 6 of them in part due to giving me their 1sts to “go for it” and win now. That’s likely also going to work in my favor over the next few years when I have one of the youngest rosters in the league.

It’s difficult to maintain excellence in a dynasty league - knowing when to sell is definitely an important skill. There will be successes & regrets, I’m sure. Nuk looks like he’s still got a lot left in the tank (and I dealt him for ‘21 1.08 with which I took Pitts, who’s now hurt) - that one might shape up to a regret. Time will tell.

But there is some big picture value to looking back at the results of deals to determine whether it was good or bad for you.

Last edited:
I did the opposite, was on the brink of the playoffs and sold my 1st plus for ETN when Robinson got traded. Got booted last week, but depending on how I do in the also ran bowl my 1st might still end up around 8th overall (it's a 16 team league). I've got a good young core - Tua, r Stevenson, ETN, Godwin, Deebo, Pittman - to build around, and a lot of cap space going into the next season to try and grab a solid vet from the fa pool.

I did the opposite, was on the brink of the playoffs and sold my 1st plus for ETN when Robinson got traded. Got booted last week, but depending on how I do in the also ran bowl my 1st might still end up around 8th overall (it's a 16 team league). I've got a good young core - Tua, r Stevenson, ETN, Godwin, Deebo, Pittman - to build around, and a lot of cap space going into the next season to try and grab a solid vet from the fa pool.
You accidentally make a very good point here. :p

Not all dynasty leagues are the same - roster sizes, salary caps, limited # of keepers, taxi squads, devy leagues - definitely not a 1-size fits-all topic, with different valuations for players/picks/bench spots.

Only got one teams future first using Amari Cooper. Was as much about roster cut down as getting the pick as I viewed the team as one of the league favorites and that turned out to be the case. Pick is guaranteed 9-12.

All but one of my leagues have a draft playoffs involving the 6 non-playoff teams so not always easy getting a handle on whose pick to value as it's often the team that just missed the playoffs as the best pick to obtain and with most of those leagues trade deadline being a few weeks ago it only complicates that process at least if the goal was not so much accumulation of picks but more specifically to obtain Bijan or a top two pick kind of situation. Not the point of this thread but because of that unknown where I had assets I wanted to move for future picks/players I decided to turn my focus to acquiring Breece Hall which I was able to do in a few places.

Same, the overwhelming majority of my dynasty leagues are FFPC, where we have the postseason tournament among non-playoff teams for the 1.01. It makes it much more difficult when trading for another team's pick, because that team has to be just bad enough to not make the playoffs yet good enough to win the 2-3 games to claim the 1.01. And there's the added calculus that, once a team trades away its top pick(s), that team has less of an incentive to try to the "win" the 1.01 if it no longer has that pick.

I will say that it's much, much easier to tank for the 1.01 in the FFPC dynasty best ball leagues, where there are no playoffs, and the draft order is just reverse order of total points. Unfortunately, I was forced to do that in a couple FFPC best ball leagues, and trading away vets to win-now teams for picks or injured, young players is pretty effective in lowering your weekly point total, thus improving your draft position.

What's funny is how I (we, mostly, I would guess) like to look at what I sold and hope it loses value so that it "was a good trade". But once the asset is gone ... it really makes no difference whether it goes up or down or stays the same. If the player/pick becomes a dynasty top 10 overall player ... you don't own him. If he becomes barely rosterable ... you also don't own him. Just like stock trading too ... if you sell $1,000 worth of shares, and those same shares become worth $200 the next day, you probably celebrate; if they become worth $5,000, you're probably kicking yourself. But once you sold those shares, you no longer have them, no matter what happens to their value, so your net worth is 100% unchanged by its future movements (assuming you don't have any other shares of that security). The only difference it makes is to the hypthetical "what if I didn't sell?" question. Which doesn't matter. Because you did sell. But it can be so hard not to think that way.
There is one aspect of this that’s relevant though - I sold Mike Evans, Chris Carson, Engram, Ingram, Fuller, ARob, Hopkins and several other aging assets because I predicted the assets would fall in value.

And over time that prediction has proved somewhat accurate. ARob & Carson both missed significant time in 2021 (Carson’s career ended), Hopkins was hurt / suspended, Evans had a nice 2021 but has fallen off of a cliff this year, etc.

You’re correct that those results do not affect my current team in the slightest. But it is definitely a good feeling to know you got out from under an asset before the floor fell out.

It may be immaterial to my current roster, but following your gut to act on a logical strategy is a learning moment.

In the league of this particular rebuild, the ~7 competing teams are all doing so with rapidly aging rosters - 6 of them in part due to giving me their 1sts to “go for it” and win now. That’s likely also going to work in my FA it over the next few years when I have one of the youngest rosters in the league.

It’s difficult to maintain excellence in a dynasty league - knowing when to sell is definitely an important skill. There will be successes & regrets, I’m sure. Nuk looks like he’s still got a lot left in the tank (and I dealt him for ‘21 1.08 with which I took Pitts, who’s now hurt) - that one might shape up to a regret. Time will tell.

But there is some big picture value to looking back at the results of deals to determine whether it was good or bad for you.

Yeah definitely valid point, and ... Well ... I'm definitely not saying that great and rapid depreciation of sold assets is not a good thing. I don't even know, it's almost paradoxical to me.

Facts:

(A) Making a good deal improves the quality of your team.
(B) The worse the future performance of assets sold, the better a given deal was.
(C) The future performance of assets sold does not affect your team's quality or value.

Those are all true, but it seems impossible to make them jibe. There's some distinction that has to be made, some distinction of "what are we actually talking about", but I don't know what it is, lol.

A + B, therefore, (D) the worse the future performance of assets sold, the more improved your team is due to the trade.
So, future performance of sold assets affects your team's improvement from the trade, but not its current quality.

So, I guess that's the distinction. If you want to be improved, then the future performance matters. If you want to be good, it doesn't matter. Basically, if the sold assets do poorly, it says, "Hey, you improved! Good job!" but at the same time it says "Your team's value before the trade was actually worse than the market thought." If they excel instead, it says "You lost value. That sucks." but at the same time says "Hey! You were better before than the market thought! Nice." I'm sure there's a textbook somewhere that explains this a lot more clearly ... just typing as I'm thinking ... Way too much.

Basically ... Which is better? Take 1 step back, then 2 steps forward? Or take 2 steps forward, then 1 step back? In the former case, it was, and is, a great thing that you took the 2 steps forward, but then you found out later that you had already taken a step back. In the latter case, it is unfortunate that you took the 1 step back, but you now find out you had already taken 2 steps forward. Either way, you end up in the same place.

In the league of this particular rebuild, the ~7 competing teams are all doing so with rapidly aging rosters - 6 of them in part due to giving me their 1sts to “go for it” and win now. That’s likely also going to work in my FA it over the next few years when I have one of the youngest rosters in the league.

Yeah definitely valid point, and ... Well ... I'm definitely not saying that great and rapid depreciation of sold assets is not a good thing. I don't even know, it's almost paradoxical to me.

Facts:

(A) Making a good deal improves the quality of your team.
(B) The worse the future performance of assets sold, the better a given deal was.
(C) The future performance of assets sold does not affect your team's quality or value.

Those are all true, but it seems impossible to make them jibe. There's some distinction that has to be made, some distinction of "what are we actually talking about", but I don't know what it is, lol.

A + B, therefore, (D) the worse the future performance of assets sold, the more improved your team is due to the trade.
So, future performance of sold assets affects your team's improvement from the trade, but not its current quality.

So, I guess that's the distinction. If you want to be improved, then the future performance matters. If you want to be good, it doesn't matter. Basically, if the sold assets do poorly, it says, "Hey, you improved! Good job!" but at the same time it says "Your team's value before the trade was actually worse than the market thought." If they excel instead, it says "You lost value. That sucks." but at the same time says "Hey! You were better before than the market thought! Nice." I'm sure there's a textbook somewhere that explains this a lot more clearly ... just typing as I'm thinking ... Way too much.

Basically ... Which is better? Take 1 step back, then 2 steps forward? Or take 2 steps forward, then 1 step back? In the former case, it was, and is, a great thing that you took the 2 steps forward, but then you found out later that you had already taken a step back. In the latter case, it is unfortunate that you took the 1 step back, but you now find out you had already taken 2 steps forward. Either way, you end up in the same place.
Yeah - you're echoing thoughts that were bouncing around my noodle as well.

In reality, it's not germane to your current team how any asset you've moved performs after you've moved them. Your team is either better or worse as a result, and any perceived positive or negative is really someone else's gain or loss.

What you are left with is a team, for better or worse.

But lessons can last a lifetime. :)

I have one FFPC SuperFlex squad in the enviable and unique position where I had decided to tear it all down prior to and during the rookie draft this year (May), but that is competing anyway.

I ended up with three 2023 1sts prior to the season. I think one theme throughout these was that folks were perhaps assuming my team would be bottom tier and result in an earlier pick. The opposite is happening now.

Trade 1 Gave T Marshall/2023 3rd Got Ridley/2023 2nd(A)
Trade 2 Gave Ridley/Drake/2023 2nd(mine) Got Aiyuk
Trade 3 Gave 2023 4th Got Everett
Trade 4 Gave Kelce/Deebo/Conner Got Gabe/Kmet/Knox/1.10/2.02/2023 1st (early) & 2023 2nd(early)
Trade 5 Gave Gabe/J Robinson/1.10/4.08 Got Godwin/2023 1st (early also 1.01 possibility from same team as the 2nd above)/3.04
Trade 6 Gave 2.02/2023 2nd(it's the one in trade 4 so early) Got 1.11/2023 3rd x2 (early & current 6 seed) - took Rachaad White at 1.11
Trade 7 Gave Knox Got 2.04 took Dameon Pierce
Trade 8 Gave K Herbert Got Pacheco
Trade 9 Gave D Pierce/2023 1st(mine) & 2023 2nd(early) Got CMC

#1-4 occurred prior to the rookie draft. 5-7 during the rookie draft, 8 right before the season. And then I realized I was competing and could possibly afford to buy an elite RB with one of my three 1sts. I was still a few Victory Points from the playoffs and figured my 1st would be perceived as early. That trade was on 11/23 and now with one week left to go I am in the #4 seed and driver seat for the playoffs, and my team is getting hot at the right moment. 8-5 with 29 VPs. The team I traded for CMC with

Allen, Geno, Ryan
CMC, Rachaad, Rhamondre, Pacheco
Metcalf, Godwin, Aiyuk, Pierce, Doubs, Nico
Everett, Kmet, Gesicki, Woods

More recently and with a simpler explanation, I gave Breece Hall and Gabe Davis for two 2023 1sts. One is a strong candidate for 1.01 (in FFPC we compete for the picks in the toilet bowl, so a terrible team can't just tank, they have to be good enough to win matchups) and the other will be late.

Users who are viewing this thread