What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (1 Viewer)

Have you Boston locals heard any speculation on Lewis?  This could be the best time to buy low given the game Blount just had, and we're now week 4 where his owners might be panicking...

He did have a cleanup surgery which kept him on the pup. Have heard originally nothing since, but heard the recovery was like a month so idk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone in Pats country hearing anything about Lewis?

Would love to be able to stash him but with seemingly no news that seems a bit risky. (Well, risky in the sense that I could be wasting a bench spot)

Anyone in Pats country hearing anything about Lewis?

Would love to be able to stash him but with seemingly no news that seems a bit risky. (Well, risky in the sense that I could be wasting a bench spot)
The only recent news I have seen (5 days ago) was he appeared to be walking without any limp or discomfort. 

Speculation has been all over the spectrum but I think is while he could theoretically begin practice in a couple weeks, it's more likely his first action would be after the Pats bye.

Would be tough holding him for six bye weeks only to see him shelved for the duration. I'm not making any moves until we hear positive reports.

Thanks a lot for the insight, much appreciated! Kind of sounded like there was a good chance he'd miss the year when he had that 2nd surgery.

He did have a cleanup surgery which kept him on the pup. Have heard originally nothing since, but heard the recovery was like a month so idk.
Last I saw, he had not been seen in the locker room and there was no new information to report  that was last week  I have not seen any reports that said he was walking around and looked ok.

I have seen nothing to indicate that Lewis is close to returning. He will be roughly a year from his initial surgery, hasn't been practicing, has taken no contact, and can't be close to game shape. When and if he comes back, I don't see how he won't be rusty. I dropped him in my redraft leagues. 

I don't think we have all the information on what's going on. His recovery from clean up surgery was said to be 8-10 weeks. A typical knee clean up procedure is usually 2-3 weeks. Things aren't adding up. 

White, who generally looks a lot more ordinary, did pretty well last year filling in for Lewis. IIRC, he was the RB13 down the stretch after Lewis went on IR. 

The other option was DJ Foster, but I am not sure they fully trust him. Bolden got hurt last game but I have not seen an update on his condition. 

Last I saw, he had not been seen in the locker room and there was no new information to report  that was last week  I have not seen any reports that said he was walking around and looked ok.

I have seen nothing to indicate that Lewis is close to returning. He will be roughly a year from his initial surgery, hasn't been practicing, has taken no contact, and can't be close to game shape. When and if he comes back, I don't see how he won't be rusty. I dropped him in my redraft leagues. 

I don't think we have all the information on what's going on. His recovery from clean up surgery was said to be 8-10 weeks. A typical knee clean up procedure is usually 2-3 weeks. Things aren't adding up. 
Beat writer today on John Hansen's shows said he was around the locker room.  Expects him back sometime around week 8.

Thanks for the link, but the information does not say who is providing the information. The same day, Tom Curran posted he had not seen Lewis in the locker room at all, which makes me wonder who reported seeing Lewis walking around.
Mike Reiss said he saw Lewis in the locker room.

Mike Reiss said he saw Lewis in the locker room.
I looked on Reiss' Twitter feed and yes, Mike mentioned Lewis walked through the locker room. But that's all he said. Nothing about how he looked or didn't look. Not sure where the other stuff came from that he looked fine, normal, etc. 

I looked on Reiss' Twitter feed and yes, Mike mentioned Lewis walked through the locker room. But that's all he said. Nothing about how he looked or didn't look. Not sure where the other stuff came from that he looked fine, normal, etc. 
Maybe he told Mike Loyko that. Mike Loyko said:

Great news from @MikeReiss on Dion Lewis this morning. His clean up surgery has gone great and he'll be back on the field soon.

What do we think Lewis will do? He's likely still hanging on the wire in most leagues, with many owners tryiing to time his addition right.

Loved Lewis and what he did for my team in previous years, and think he is an incredible talent. Have a really hard time even with all that background taking the risk that he will return from yet another significant injury and get back to the "shock the world" form we have seen him be in the past.

I think there is more probability that he doesn't simply regain his role and his form than he does, and am willing to risk him be a game changer on someone else's squad than be an anchor on mine.

Still wavering on this though, esp. in leagues where I've been hit by RB injury.

This was on Patriots.com.

LOOK WHO’S BACK! (SORT OF)

Dion Lewis made a cameo in the Patriots locker room during the media interview period. The running back, currently on PUP (the physically unable to perform list), walked briskly to his locker to grab something before heading for the exit. He appeared to show no ill effects from his recent left knee procedure.

Under PUP rules, Lewis is eligible to begin practicing again in as soon as a couple of weeks, assuming he is medically cleared by the team’s doctors to do so.

What do we think Lewis will do? He's likely still hanging on the wire in most leagues, with many owners tryiing to time his addition right.

Loved Lewis and what he did for my team in previous years, and think he is an incredible talent. Have a really hard time even with all that background taking the risk that he will return from yet another significant injury and get back to the "shock the world" form we have seen him be in the past.

I think there is more probability that he doesn't simply regain his role and his form than he does, and am willing to risk him be a game changer on someone else's squad than be an anchor on mine.

Still wavering on this though, esp. in leagues where I've been hit by RB injury.
If you have the space, I would do a preemptive strike and get Lewis.  Worst case....he isn't the same player and you can drop him.  Best case....he's a top 15 RB for the ROS.  Not sure what the probability of each case....you will never get the true scoop on Lewis' injuries from the coaching staff.  We won't know until he returns to the field and we see him in action.

Got real lucky in my one good league (other two middle of the pack) to get McCoy and Murray. I didn't try to do it, but they have real late byes (10 and 13). It was a 20 deep roster league and keeper eligible so I took a chance. I'll take this as a positive. Would be awesome to see him practicing before the bye just to know whether or not he has a shot at this year. 

If you have the space, I would do a preemptive strike and get Lewis.  Worst case....he isn't the same player and you can drop him.  Best case....he's a top 15 RB for the ROS.  Not sure what the probability of each case....you will never get the true scoop on Lewis' injuries from the coaching staff.  We won't know until he returns to the field and we see him in action.
I took your advice and added him for 1% last night. 

Stashing and hoping. He could be a difference-maker in the playoffs.

Can't wait to watch him again. I haven't enjoyed watching a RB this much since Barry Sanders. Anyone think he'll play week 7 when he's eligible to come off PUP or more likely after the bye? 

I've never had more fun watching a player than I have Lewis but I've only been paying attention to football for a little under a decade. He was the shiftiest player I had ever seen outside of Shady.

That play where he beat four DAL defenders in the span of 10 yards for a TD last year was just beautiful. I don't even give a #### about the fantasy implications, if he comes back at 100% it will be good for football.

Barry sanders?  Are you serious?
Yes. I'm not saying he is as good as Barry Sanders. And I'm not even a Patriots fan. But watching him play last year until he went down, he was SO much fun to watch (and it didn't hurt that I picked him up in every league I was in) That run against Dallas, well, it moved. ;)  

Yes. I'm not saying he is as good as Barry Sanders. And I'm not even a Patriots fan. But watching him play last year until he went down, he was SO much fun to watch (and it didn't hurt that I picked him up in every league I was in) That run against Dallas, well, it moved. ;)  
I hear you.  He's no Barry sanders though.  Reserve that for the best

I've seen Barry run and Dion Lewis is about as close as anyone I have seen since in style. People that played vs Barry have also made the comparison so don't feel shy about saying it.

Well he may look like barry but the situation is no where near the same.  Can you imagine barry sanders playing on belicheks patriots.  Oh man.

Damn it. Saw this bumped and was hoping for some news :kicksrock:

FWIW, I saw Adrian Peterson walking briskly, too, but he's not coming back anytime soon.

:popcorn:

Assuming he's cleared to practice week 7, we think he's back quickly or holding of until week 10 vs the Seahawks (post week 9 bye)?

Knock the dust off week 8 with a carry or three? 

I don't think we will see Lewis until Week 10 and he will most likely be on a limited snap count. He hasn't fully practiced in a year, hasn't taken contact at all, and I don't think he would be close to game shape at this point. 

It's been occurring to me watching the Pats that even if fully healthy the factors that helped make Lewis last year may not work so much this year. Blount is running well, BB is consistently relying on him and Bennett and Hogan serve as new third wheels. 

SaintsInDome2006 said:
It's been occurring to me watching the Pats that even if fully healthy the factors that helped make Lewis last year may not work so much this year. Blount is running well, BB is consistently relying on him and Bennett and Hogan serve as new third wheels. 
White quietly just had 4 receptions and 89 yfs against the Browns.  And almost even thinks Lewis is far more dynamic than White is. Like all Patriots, weekly production will be game plan and match up dependent. 

Whenever Lewis comes back and is 100% (and who knows when that is), he should again see 90 yards a game on average and a TD every other game or so. 

The Lewis and White tandem combined for 1088 yfs and 10 TD last year with 76 receptions. 

dropping S. Shepard in my one league and picking him up ...what the heck
Both are good players. Unless this is <12 team and/or <5 man bench, you gotta have someone worse you could drop, right? It could be much later, but the earliest he'll be back is week 7, so I wouldn't drop Shepard just yet. At least wait a week.

dropping S. Shepard in my one league and picking him up ...what the heck
He's been sitting on my deep roster team (20) since the draft. Due to short keeper rules of two years, I needed some potential next year guys and I liked my roster, so he's one of the guys I took "later" and stashed (Brady, Hunter Henry, Lewis and Dixon). Worked out well. Since I have Murray and McCoy, their byes were really late (10/13), so Lewis fit into the WTH shot. I'll be following his progress quite a bit since I am in a good situation :-)knockonwood:) where Lewis being healthy late is fine with me. May have to check on White for waivers tonight. Not sure if he is available, but he may have been dropped.

Both are good players. Unless this is <12 team and/or <5 man bench, you gotta have someone worse you could drop, right? It could be much later, but the earliest he'll be back is week 7, so I wouldn't drop Shepard just yet. At least wait a week.
10 team league, short benches (6 players)...other WRs are Cooper, Mathews, Fitz, Olsen, Edelman, Snead. RBs are Elliot, Blount, Cmike.

Its a tough decision for sure, but I had Lewis last year and was enjoying his production as a RB2 in this league before he was injured.

10 team league, short benches (6 players)...other WRs are Cooper, Mathews, Fitz, Olsen, Edelman, Snead. RBs are Elliot, Blount, Cmike.

Its a tough decision for sure, but I had Lewis last year and was enjoying his production as a RB2 in this league before he was injured.
I would probably drop Snead before Shepard, but I'd still wait at least a week or until some news comes out that might remind your leaguemates about him.

Another Twitter report just now saying he's walking around the locker room looking good. Damn, he's just sitting there on my Waiver Wire tempting me to go and get him. I was gonna wait another week or two and try to sneak him onto my roster but now I'm not sure I can. 

Decisions decisions.  

Depending on who you have to cut now is the time to pick him up...he is eligible to come off the IR after this week's games so he will be in the news soon (and most savvy owners already know that)...while Anarchy is probably right about getting eased back into the line-up this is the Patriots we are talking about so anything is possible (from playing week 7 to being out the whole year)...I would rather own him and figure out what his situation is rather than missing out on him because I waited a week too late (again, all depending on who you are cutting him for)... 

Mike ReissVerified account@MikeReiss
Scene setter: RB Dion Lewis walks through locker room en route to the weight room. His presence during media access of late has been notable

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/786239795198558208
Not trying to disparage the injured (or a very good beat writer either), but this really doesn't tell us anything.  What's he doing in the weight room?  Is he lifting upper body or doing rehab on the leg/knee?  Is he doing explosive movements in the weight room like jumping squats? 

FTR - I don't own Dion, and I'd stash him in an IR spot if I had the ability to do so... just saying this doesn't tell us anything.

Depending on who you have to cut now is the time to pick him up...he is eligible to come off the IR after this week's games so he will be in the news soon (and most savvy owners already know that)...while Anarchy is probably right about getting eased back into the line-up this is the Patriots we are talking about so anything is possible (from playing week 7 to being out the whole year)...I would rather own him and figure out what his situation is rather than missing out on him because I waited a week too late (again, all depending on who you are cutting him for)... 
Yeah I agree. Now's the time to make the move before the news really becomes widespread. It's a gamble for sure because there's no way of knowing how healthy he will be when he does return. We all know the upside and it's massive (Top 10 in PPR). Now's the time to pounce because the cost is likely going to be minimal. I'm going to do it and hopefully nobody's paying attention because they're too focused on trying to deal with Week 6 issues. I have a strong first-place team so I can concern myself with projecting ahead and hopefully a move like this will pay off big down the road. 

Agree that for all those considering it now is the time to go for it. And agree with the Patriots' beat writers who find it interesting that he's suddenly been popping up in the locker room more and more often lately. No clue what it means but it sure is interesting.

Not trying to disparage the injured (or a very good beat writer either), but this really doesn't tell us anything.  What's he doing in the weight room?  Is he lifting upper body or doing rehab on the leg/knee?  Is he doing explosive movements in the weight room like jumping squats? 

FTR - I don't own Dion, and I'd stash him in an IR spot if I had the ability to do so... just saying this doesn't tell us anything.
I think it's the second part of the statement that makes it interesting and tends to add a more optimistic tone. While you're correct in that we don't have any details to lead us to believe his return is imminent, the beat writer seems to find his presence notable. Which I will take, so Jeremy Hill can sit the #### down.

I think it's the second part of the statement that makes it interesting and tends to add a more optimistic tone. While you're correct in that we don't have any details to lead us to believe his return is imminent, the beat writer seems to find his presence notable. Which I will take, so Jeremy Hill can sit the #### down.
Yeah - I get the optimism... just saying the fact that he walked through the room to go into the weight room doesn't mean much.  He walked through the room a couple weeks ago... this doesn't really tell us any differently, except it tells us where he was going.  Maybe he was going to the weight room last time too?

With NE, it's what we don't see that is usually more telling than what we do see. Having players disappear for a month and not being around is the unusual part. Usually, if players are injured, most of the time they are seen around the team going to the trainer, weight room, therapy, film sessions, seen doing stretching or jogging, at walk throughs, etc. Lewis just plan fell off the map. It's like he went on special assignment in Guatemala on a top secret mission. I have no idea where he was and if that means anything, I just found it odd . . . even for NE.

A good beat writer has a sense for what is going on with the team and what is normal and what isn't. When someone like Reiss observes Lewis is showing up in the locker room lately more and more often and points out how unusual that is I think that's worth pointing out. We don't really know what it means and maybe it means nothing at all. But the fact it's starting to happen right around the time Lewis is ready to come off PUP could potentially mean something. Given Lewis' talent, role and upside I think that lends itself to the level of speculating we're doing here. At least it does for me which is why I'm going to try and pick him up tonight. 

Users who are viewing this thread