What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (3 Viewers)

Eh, we'll know on Monday if he's at practice that he should be ready to go sooner rather than later.  

I'm not buying the ease back in thing.  An ACL is about getting confidence back with some hard cuts and taking a few hits.  Gronk's hammy is a poor example because those can linger and easily get re-injured.

He's not a high volume back anyway.  I think he was RB13 last year in PPR and typically  gets less than 10 carries and half dozen targets.  Don't sleep on that! Stash him now if you haven't already.  If he's not at practice next week, then worry that something else is wrong.

The cleanup procedure likely done on his knee was to remove a Cyclops legion. This is somewhat typical on some ACL repairs and it is the most likely scenario for him. That typically sets back 3-4 weeks to recover from that. I'm sure he looks great. He probably feels really good. I wouldn't expect this "clean up" to really mean anything for him aside it gave him extra rest and rehab time. 

That's my report from the rehab gym
Here's my question... given what you said, typical cleanup, etc. leads to a 3-4 week timeline, then why did they announce it as 8-10 weeks?  Any idea what on earth this could've been that jives with a post-ACL follow-up procedure AND an 8-10 week recovery timeline?

Here's my question... given what you said, typical cleanup, etc. leads to a 3-4 week timeline, then why did they announce it as 8-10 weeks?  Any idea what on earth this could've been that jives with a post-ACL follow-up procedure AND an 8-10 week recovery timeline?
This assumes that his original rehab schedule would have had him in the lineup up on opening day, and it's only the subsequent cleanup that is delaying his return by 8-10 weeks.

I don't think that's a good assumption.  Even absent the second surgery, IIRC Lewis was never on track for week 1.

This assumes that his original rehab schedule would have had him in the lineup up on opening day, and it's only the subsequent cleanup that is delaying his return by 8-10 weeks.

I don't think that's a good assumption.  Even absent the second surgery, IIRC Lewis was never on track for week 1.
I'm not so sure about that one. He participated in OTA's in April, had some sort of relapse or a secondary issue, tried to get better with rest, and had surgery at the end of August. He was starting to get back to practice with 4-5 months before the season started. I don't expect him to be at practice on Monday, but I guess we will find out soon enough.

Cyclops is the only thing I can think of outside of something really significant. The 3-4 weeks is a timeline of recovery for pain/healing, not rehab. If he had a cyclops legion typically that means he can't fully extend his knee and has pain with activity. By removing the legion you still have to get the range of motion back as well as strengthen etc. 

I could speculate about a lot of other things:
ACL had some fraying
meniscus slightly torn
Loose bodies in the knee joint
None of those would be a 8-10 week timeline for healing. 8-10 weeks is a long time for strictly a recovery. That's like a meniscus repair, which is rare in itself 

My guess is it was something minor, but they knew he wasn't in football shape in terms of his rehab because of the something minor, so he finished off his rehab in the time being. 

I'm not so sure about that one. He participated in OTA's in April, had some sort of relapse or a secondary issue, tried to get better with rest, and had surgery at the end of August. He was starting to get back to practice with 4-5 months before the season started. I don't expect him to be at practice on Monday, but I guess we will find out soon enough.
This is why I think it was a cyclops legion. Sometimes they try and see if they can decrease inflammation along the area with rest but if that doesn't work they need to cut it out. It's not an overly complicated surgery, but I feel like if he wasn't 100% because of the legion then he would still need 2 months to rehab to get to that point (1 month to heal, 1 month to rehab). ACL surgery doesn't really have a lot of complications associated with it when you're out from the date of surgery like 6-12 months. Except for this. There's not a whole lot of scar tissue (cyclops is basically scar tissue)

If there was some cartilage issue that needed addressing I'd be very concerned about Lewis going forward. Something where there was some microfracture done (which would require 8-10 weeks), etc. Without much knowledge of what his restrictions were (non-weight bearing, what the protocol was), it would be impossible for me to know for sure. But if there was a cartilage issue I'd be really nervous about his longevity. People typically seem to shrug off microfracture surgery, but if you really knew the science behind it,what they are trying to do and the effectiveness of it, you'd probably never draft or trade for a player who has had it. Especially dynasty. I can go into that if people like, but maybe this isn't the thread for it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a chance the 8-10 week window included the 2-4 weeks standard recovery time for a clean up procedure and then they added a 6 week time frame to get back into game shape? That adds up to 8-10 weeks. If so, then Lewis would be ready sooner rather than later. Except he still needs to practice and take contact, so no matter how you slice it the recovery timeline doesn't seem to make much sense.

A legion of Cyclops could be formidable.
:lmao: love my auto correct. Yes that would definitely set back someone for 10 weeks

Is there a chance the 8-10 week window included the 2-4 weeks standard recovery time for a clean up procedure and then they added a 6 week time frame to get back into game shape? That adds up to 8-10 weeks. If so, then Lewis would be ready sooner rather than later. Except he still needs to practice and take contact, so no matter how you slice it the recovery timeline doesn't seem to make much sense.
Yes this was my original thought. I am not as concerned about not practicing and taking contact. He's not a rookie and he is participating in everything except for practice (so he is training, lifting, at film and game planning etc. 

If he takes a few weeks to actually play, then I'd be concerned that they are keeping something hush hush about his procedure. Like I said, an ACL surgery and recovery is pretty cut and dried. Anything of significance would have me worried. If it was just cleaning up as they said it was I think he will be fine. 

Think i have the local media down and nothing i hear makes me think we'll be seeing Dion in earnest any time soon. The squawkers are squawking because it will be an actual story soon but not one word of actual progress has entered the pipeline and there are waaaay too many people snooping Foxboro for news for no news to be good news.

Per Mike Reiss . . .

“Lewis has made positive progress from a second surgery on his left knee to the point that ‘it’s possible’ he could begin practicing this week,” Reiss notes. “At the same time, given the setback Lewis had with his rehab in the spring (it wasn’t specifically his ACL, but a different part of the knee), the likelihood is that coach Bill Belichick is going to be cautious with him, so it would be no surprise if Lewis isn’t playing in a game until after the early November bye week.”

Per Mike Reiss . . .

“Lewis has made positive progress from a second surgery on his left knee to the point that ‘it’s possible’ he could begin practicing this week,” Reiss notes. “At the same time, given the setback Lewis had with his rehab in the spring (it wasn’t specifically his ACL, but a different part of the knee), the likelihood is that coach Bill Belichick is going to be cautious with him, so it would be no surprise if Lewis isn’t playing in a game until after the early November bye week.”
those are the words of someone who hasnt heard a single concrete bit of news on DownLew but knows his followers want to hear about him

I heard he was seen walking with a Jimmy Johns sandwich in his arm after the game. Looked very secure, even had to push a towel boy out of the way while doing it, hell of a stiff arm, no signs of fumbling the sandwich
He also consumed it at a very good pace and his digestion was spot on.  He's coming along nicely

Dropping Willie Snead to grab Dion this week.

Even if he doesn't come back for a few weeks, i'd like to have him for a possible championship run.

Let's put it this way...I fear Dion in my opponent's week 15/16 lineup much more than I fear Willie Snead.

(this #### will come and bite me right on the ###)

I also wonder if White's play will slow Lewis' return. Obviously, they'd prefer to have Dion back there, and last year's championship game was a perfect example of what they give up with White, but if he's doing a decent job, aren't they more likely to ease him back in and make sure DL is fully healed in time for the stretch run?

I heard he was seen walking with a Jimmy Johns sandwich in his arm after the game. Looked very secure, even had to push a towel boy out of the way while doing it, hell of a stiff arm, no signs of fumbling the sandwich
I heard he was walking freaky fast

I also wonder if White's play will slow Lewis' return. Obviously, they'd prefer to have Dion back there, and last year's championship game was a perfect example of what they give up with White, but if he's doing a decent job, aren't they more likely to ease him back in and make sure DL is fully healed in time for the stretch run?
It was a double-ended sword. On the one end, it showed what Dion is capable of in this offense. On the other, the Pats are 5-1 and probably will keep him shelved or eased in by splitting with White for who knows how many weeks, to increase the odds he's healthy when it really matters. 

Good recall on the championship game last year and what appeared to me at the time to show the limitations of White's ability vs Dion.  That being said I agree with your general take, White is playing good enough right now that I would have to think even if Dion looks 100% healthy they just won't activate him until they have to.

Let's say Dion is 50%-ish. Does he play at all if Blount is suspended for the incident at the Cincy game yesterday?

I don't think we see Lewis in a game until Week 10 and I would guess he will be on a snap count.
Agree.  White gives them luxury of patience and I think the pats want to make sure they have Lewis down the stretch because he is a true difference maker in this scheme.   

As a side note, in White's last 9 games with Brady but no Lewis, White has put up 44 receptions, 543 yfs from scrimmage, and 8 TD.  That's 16.3 ppg in PPR leagues, which is in RB 6-8 territory ranking wise.  Lewis may be more talented, but White seems to get in the end zone. 

I was just thinking that with No Blount, they might suit up Lewis if he were ready. But I also forgot about DJ Foster backing up James White.
They re-signed Gafney to the practice squad. He'd be more likely to be called up if Blount was suspended (I don't think he will be).

I agree about both the TDs and the talent part, but in NE's case whomever the receiving back is needs to be good at blitz pick up, getting open as a safety valve, and only really needs to have enough speed to beat the guy covering him out of the backfield. In White's case, he has been able to do those three things fairly well, even if Lewis may be better at them.

From the TDs that I remember for White, he was able to beat coverage by a DE, LB, or S, which got him in the end zone. NE excels at creating mismatches, so sometimes that beats both talent and opportunity. They also seem to have mastered defenders not fully identifying who to cover, so sometimes defenders will cover the wrong guy or run into each other. If 3 guys cover Gronk and no one covers White on a wheel route, pretty much any NFL player should be able to catch an 8 yard pass with no one on him.

I think it will still be a few weeks before we see Lewis, and we really don't know what version of Lewis we will get to see. He may not be as shifty or light on his feet as he was post surgery, at least maybe not until next year. No one will know that until we get to see him play.

Can anyone think of a RB that missed half the season and then came back and did really well? I can't remember anyone. Now that I think of it, I can't even remember a RB that missed half a season and then came back, but my memory isn't that great.

Can anyone think of a RB that missed half the season and then came back and did really well? I can't remember anyone. Now that I think of it, I can't even remember a RB that missed half a season and then came back, but my memory isn't that great.
Odell missed half his rookie season to a hamstring injury then came back and was on almost every championship team. Not sure about a recent RB.

David Johnson last year.

I would have thought that it had to have happened before but here's the entire* list of RBs (*I only went back to 1972) that played in only 8 or less games and still rushed for more than 650 yards, and all of those with the exception of Julius Jones missed the second half of the season with injuries (as you probably expected). Jones missed from Week 1 and Weeks 3-9 and finished with 819 rushing yards and 7 TDs with all but 15 yards coming from Weeks 10-16. So only Jones even comes close to fitting your stated parameters. He missed week 1 and had a few carries in Week 2, so even he doesn't exactly match your criteria, but it's close enough.

Terrell Davis

Ezekiel Elliott

Priest Holmes

Edgerrin James

Julius Jones

Billy Sims

Robert Smith

I would have thought that it had to have happened before but here's the entire* list of RBs (*I only went back to 1972) that played in only 8 or less games and still rushed for more than 650 yards, and all of those with the exception of Julius Jones missed the second half of the season with injuries (as you probably expected). Jones missed from Week 1 and Weeks 3-9 and finished with 819 rushing yards and 7 TDs with all but 15 yards coming from Weeks 10-16. So only Jones even comes close to fitting your stated parameters. He missed week 1 and had a few carries in Week 2, so even he doesn't exactly match your criteria, but it's close enough.

Terrell Davis

Ezekiel Elliott

Priest Holmes

Edgerrin James

Julius Jones

Billy Sims

Robert Smith

Nice data find, but do rushing stats matter with this guy?  Fantasy points...typically receiving is what we are after here?

Nice data find, but do rushing stats matter with this guy?  Fantasy points...typically receiving is what we are after here?
Sure. I was going to add that caveat, but I figured it was the best way to answer David's question since when we talk RBs we're usually talking about rushing stats. I do think his point likely remains valid though. It will likely be tough for Lewis to even make it back, let alone make it back effectively. 

Well. The biggest argument I can think of is that the IR list with the designated to return option is only 4 years old, so there are very few players who have had this option.  Before that, teams would have just IR'd the player for the season.

Users who are viewing this thread