What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Directv NFL Ticket.... (2 Viewers)

Just called in. Called to remove it months ago.They offered normal disct that everyone gets. I told the guy I also wanted to add Sports Pack to see what he can do for me. Guy was very stubborn and said absolutely nothing could be done. Said he couldnt even give me the older deal. I said Im not interested and can I be transferred to a customer service manager. Got transferred and she said they couldnt do anything. Asked to cancel and then got a guy in cancellation. I let him know that I see a lot of people getting it for free, threatened to leave for DISH and within a minute he said he wont jerk me around and can give me Sun Ticket Max free and Sports Pack free for 6 months and $15 off for 12 months to keep their price close to DISH. I think the big thing is to get to cancellation or retention and just be brutally honest. Jus say you will leave unless you have it for free.

Called and spoke to the first line and received the following:

Promotional Deals (You could ask about these)
$20 off for 12 mos (No extension required)
$10 off Advanced Receiver (no extension required)

1 Year - Sunday Ticket (1 year extension)
$90 upgrade to TicketMAX for 5 payments of $18

I called and set up a cancellation date last week, and it just arrived without ever hearing back from DirecTV again. Just an FYI in case anyone wants to cancel as a bluff thinking they'll call back later with a better offer to get you to change your mind.

Either way, my Dish guy is here installing my equipment now, so so long, DirecTV! I'm not going to miss the annual battles with you telling me you can't possibly give me RedZone as a standalone product (despite the fact that you've done exactly that for years).

So far I've been able to get free ST and some okay monthly discounts but they won't give me the ST Max or even just the RZ channel yet. Trying again tonight and setting a cancellation date if I have to.

So far I've been able to get free ST and some okay monthly discounts but they won't give me the ST Max or even just the RZ channel yet. Trying again tonight and setting a cancellation date if I have to.
I've heard of a couple people getting Red Zone channel. I'm going to wait until next week and try to make a play for it. I'll just tell them I know I had it when I was with FiOS and I paid $45 for the season for Red Zone. I'll tell them either take my extra $45 or don't. You'd think that may take the extra money.

I received ST Max with no problem. They actually paid ME to take it...

4 payments of $39.99
$100 Visa gift card
$10.00 per month off programming for 12 months
$25.00 off programming for 1 month.
Free Showtime and Cinemax for 12 months

My yearly call today:

Called 1-800-DirecTV and said 'Retention'. Got a nice girl in Denver.

Mentioned we were having poor service all spring, no WatchESPN for the World Cup, no PAC-12 network, $200 offer from AT&T U-verse and wife pissed about expensive DTV/Sunday Ticket. Girl on the other end not as empathetic about the wife as guys have been in the past.

She immediately gave me $20 off. Asked for more - $12 more off. Asked for more - $10 more off. Asked for free ST - no go. Asked for discount on the MAX - no go.

$42 off per month = $504. Covers the cost of the ST MAX and a little more with no change to my current commitment. I'm happy.

BTW - turns out she was in programming - not Retention - so as mentioned above - if you really want all you can get, it might be better to say 'Cancel Service'.

Last edited by a moderator:
made my 2nd call just now.

spoke with a nice woman in alabama named marilyn.

told her i was very happy with directv and have been with them since 1999.

also told her that we had recently switched our phone and internet to time warner and they were offering us a great deal to add our tv services with them.

said i really didn't want to leave direct tv and would take a hometown discount and didn't want the sun and the moon.

said i was a big football fan but worked every other weekend and wanted to be able to watch games when i was away.

without any hassle at all she gave me free sunday ticket max to go along with the $15 off every month for a year.

told her i was very happy with that and thanked her for her time.

was on the phone for 15 minutes.

Called back again tonight. Got free Sunday ticket plus about $300 total discounts easily. Had to bargain with the lady for 30 minutes before she finally found another way to add on the Redzone channel but couldn't get the Max for free. Didn't really care I just wanted RZ channel anyway so I'm good.

I remember last year, I got ST sub when I bought the Madden game. Does anyone know if there is a similar option this year. Streaming etc. Not talking about the $199 streaming option, but something similar to the free sub inside a game

I remember last year, I got ST sub when I bought the Madden game. Does anyone know if there is a similar option this year. Streaming etc. Not talking about the $199 streaming option, but something similar to the free sub inside a game
I don't think there is. People keep asking, but nobody has responded.

Was actually going to cancel Sunday Ticket and they went ahead and gave me the upgraded package for free and is only charging $11 a month for the whole Sunday Ticket. $66...so I'll guess I'll stay ;)

I called finally, even though I said "Cancel" it was clear I was transferred to someone not in retention.

Only offered $5 off my bill for 6 months.

Finally got over to retention, and I stated I really only wanted redzone channel and she gave it to me for free with $30 off my bill for 6 months.

Was hoping to get the full package but honestly between Thursday, Sunday, and Monday night games along with the afternoon on games there's not a lot of specific games I am missing outside of the RZC.

So happy overall.

Super friendly woman from east Tennessee... ended up chatting about marriage and relationships while she hunted down everything she could discount-wise.

• Got Sunday Ticket Max for Free
ª Gave me last 2 months of MLB Extra innings Free
• Gave me ~$30/mo off for 12 months

Asked me about NHL Center Ice but told her I likely wouldn't watch it so no need to add it. :unsure:

had issues with service.

long story short asked for retention after they would do nothing about the redzone packages.

End result is I pay for base nfl package with $5 off each month

they upgrade the package to the ultimate whatever with redzone.

Made my yearly fall call. Asked for retention. Asked for redzone channel only because ticket was too expensive. Guy said "I can do you one better, I'll give you ST for free, with one year commitment."

Two minutes.

Super friendly woman from east Tennessee... ended up chatting about marriage and relationships while she hunted down everything she could discount-wise.

Asked me about NHL Center Ice but told her I likely wouldn't watch it so no need to add it. :unsure:
Was she in Chattanooga?

How's the latest DirecTV DVR? I've considered leaving Dish Network for a nice starter discount package, but I love the Hopper DVR. Huge 2 TB Hard Drive, never have to worry about running out of space. Love the graphical interface, with the "Icon" format v "List" format (Makes it easy for my 5 year old to pick out his shows.) And enjoy the "Primetime Anytime" for those times we forget to record shows, plus we never ever have any DVR conflicts anymore. So how is DirecTV doing in DVR tech these days?

I never had a problem with my DVR through Direct. Have the genie.

Works well and has a ton of space on it (my old Comcast one sucked balls).

Just got on the chat again to ask a question (aiming towards them giving me a # and pin again to call...)

Was asking if there was a way to get the Redzone via a mobile app. Since they gave me the stand alone redzone for free, I asked about the app.

The lady said it might work with the regular Sunday Ticket app...but she wasn't sure.

Then out of the blue she asked if I watched any premium channels...and when I said no, she offered HBO free for a year.

While she was adding that, I asked if there were any deals on the Sunday Ticket...and she offered me some giant package (softball) with HBO, Cinemax...blah blah...with a ton of discounts for 3 months...but needed to re-up the contract for a year...and also with ST Maxx at $50/month.

With all the additional programming, that would have upped my price after the 3 months...

But got free HBO for a year out of a little chat session asking about Mobile Redzone.

*Let me just say I am not complaining! But I had to post my experience because I just don't understand how this works:

- Tried chat and got nowhere without having to change my good grandfathered programming package. Politely declined.

- Made three phone calls and got nowhere; ending up cancelling the football package.

- Called back today not expecting much, really just looking for some programming credits to offset my football cost. Next thing you know, the gentleman on the line told me he has been making Sunday Ticket deals recently and will see what he has for me. A few min later he tells me he can give my Sunday Ticket Max at no cost and no change to my programming package. HUH?!

Needless to say I am dancing a jig and thrilled that this guy saved my season! But it's also the most bizarre experience I've ever had w/ DirecTV. Is it fair to say that it is completely random depending on who you get on the line / when you call? I can think of no other way to define their offers.

Called this past Thursday. Couldn't get the Ticket free this year because I got if free last year when we moved and I upgraded all of my equipment to Gemie/Cleints and signed 2 year deal (customer since '99). Was able to get enough credits to almost completely offset the cost. Will end up paying $16 total. Also, they didn't disconnect all of my boxes last year when we moved, so I got another $75 credit since I've been paying for a box I haven't turned on in a year. Hopefully next year I'll be able to get it free again since my contract will be up. Lady in retention was really nice. On the phone for about 30 minutes for this whole deal.

Is it fair to say that it is completely random depending on who you get on the line / when you call?
I think it -appears- random, but there are in fact many variables in play which is why there have been such a wide range of experiences here, including:

-your specific account details (contract vs. no contract, length of time as customer, hardware or no hardware, history of paying on time, autopay or not, geographic location)

-when in their sales cycle you make the call (not just time of the month but time of the day)

-how motivated your retention rep is to help you

Each rep sees the same offers on the computer. It's up to the rep whether they feel like offering them, which tier they start at (if they make you say "no" a few times), and if they're willing to go beyond the computer offers and make up extra cash with one-time credits not being offered (rare).

I've called a ton this season, and get the exact same offer about 90% of the time.

• Im one year in on my 2 year commitment so I realize I dont have much leverage. I first started with the online chat and stated that I only wanted the Redzone channel she was only able to offer me free Showtime and stated that I couldnt get Redzone by itself. I told her I had a sweet offer from Uverse and she gave me a pin and number to call. I called and instantly received ST Maxx for half price of $160 (40 for 4 months) and she offset that by giving me $120 ($10 off a month for a year) in credits. 10 minutes time. ST Maxx for $40 is a deal in my book. I should have some leverage next year and be able to get more.

Was she in Chattanooga?
Unsure... she just said east TN

Was she in Chattanooga?
I may have just spoken to the same girl in Chattanooga... had one year left on my contract and had only been offered 3 months of free Showtime or the sports pack in previous calls. Today she gave me:

* Sunday Ticket Max for free

* 3 months of all movie channels for free

* $5 off for 12 months

Had to move up from Choice Extra to Ultimate for 3 months and agree to a year on my contract, but it runs concurrently, so still only one year left.

Highly recommend the Chattanooga call center...

Does anyone here have any advice if I'm still under contract (expires oct 2015). Will the threat to cancel work as well? I thought some competitors would be willing to pay my termination fees if I switched to them, but I can't find those deals online.

J Giles Band said:
[icon] said:
FreeBaGeL said:

Was she in Chattanooga?
I may have just spoken to the same girl in Chattanooga... had one year left on my contract and had only been offered 3 months of free Showtime or the sports pack in previous calls. Today she gave me:

* Sunday Ticket Max for free

* 3 months of all movie channels for free

* $5 off for 12 months

Had to move up from Choice Extra to Ultimate for 3 months and agree to a year on my contract, but it runs concurrently, so still only one year left.

Highly recommend the Chattanooga call center...
Yeah reason I asked is because I spoke to someone there as well. I lived in Chattanooga up to last year when the company I worked for went out of business. They sold off the divisions of the company and I believe our call center was purchased by DirecTV.

I started chatting with the Chattanooga girl about this and other stuff and we must have small talked for 30 minutes. I felt like I could have slept with her the way we were hitting it off, but she still wouldn't give me free ST Max :hot:

Does anyone here have any advice if I'm still under contract (expires oct 2015). Will the threat to cancel work as well? I thought some competitors would be willing to pay my termination fees if I switched to them, but I can't find those deals online.
Ask how much the early termination fees would be (even if you already know, play dumb). Tell them that you're weighing other offers, and there are some guys out there that would be cheaper even if you factored in the fees.

Your offers typically won't be quite as good, but you can still threaten to cancel and speak to retentions. If they bring up the ETF just say Dish/Comcast are willing to pay your ETF for you to switch. I'm under contract until August 2015 and was offered...

$10 off for 12 months

$5 off for 12 months

$5 off HBO for 6 months

Half price ST Max

So a few weeks ago I do my annual routine. I get a hard ### that's only offering $25 off the $350 cost(including tax) for NFL Max.

I lay it on thick as to why he should offer more to long standing customers etc. etc. Not budging at all.

So, I pull the "am I under contract" ace in the hole card out knowing I'm not. Well well well, seems the wifey upgraded a receiver in January and that locked us in for two years. 2 friggin years for a DVR, WTF???

So I call yesterday and ask how much it is to cancel my contract so I can go to Dish. Poof, she drops the price in half. I prode a little more and she agrees to give me a credit of half that amount.

Net net I got it for $81, but same damn length of contract. so next year same routine....

I ended up contacting online and getting the pin. Once I got it I called the number and said that while I liked DirecTV and sunday ticket, the total was getting to be too much so I was going to need to cancel. They put me on hold for about 5 min and then offered free sunday ticket max + $15 off per month for one year w/ no contract extension. That was good enough for me so I accepted. 10 min total.

Now that we all have max, how do we use it?

I know you have to download an app for mobile/tablet viewing.

Is there any setup needed to watch games on PC? I seem to remember some sort of program that needed downloading in the past, but can't find anything.

Are you telling me that you can basically get ST free or close to free every year by considering canceling?

I've so had it with TWC that I am about to switch anyway but that pretty much cakes it.

-Ken

Are you telling me that you can basically get ST free or close to free every year by considering canceling?

I've so had it with TWC that I am about to switch anyway but that pretty much cakes it.

-Ken
Pretty much yes, that's what these 24 pages in this thread have been about. Though this 'retention' / 'threatening to cancel' strategy can be used on most subscription-based services where the customer has alternative options too such as internet services, landline services, cell phone providers, and so on.

Stupid that DirectTV wont sell a stream Sunday Ticket only package to anybody.
They will if u cant get Directv where you are.
I wish this were true. If you live in an area where DirecTV is widely available (the suburbs, for instance) and you can't receive a signal from the satellite because trees or other objects are making the area where they would need to install a dish "out of the line of sight," they still will not allow you to stream to a console or similar device. It's a new policy they've adopted this year that they didn't have in the past, and it's probably because of the merger with AT&T and bandwidth issues. It stinks to high heaven. Way I figure it, they're trying to get a foothold in the major metro markets and at elite colleges so that urbanites and those with immediate potential for high incomes that move into those markets will switch from their local cable provider to AT & T UVerse (which will then have the rights to Sunday ticket) after the merger becomes complete. I got sucked in last year with Madden, and going back out to the bars for all day Sunday affairs is no longer palatable as I get older and less inclined to sit in a bar all day.

Shorter story: :kicksrock:

eta* I was also willing to either: a) sign the standard two-year agreement and switch from cable if the dish were able to be installed, or b) buy a compatible gaming console and pay the full $239 for the package. No go on either. I wasn't even trying to negotiate a better deal. They're sticking to their plan, apparently, though they said it is always subject to change if the bandwidth issue turns out to be no problem (but that changing their plan was very unlikely).

Yay, found out today I have to replace my receiver. New one will be here in 2-5...which is after sunday :censored:

I guess it's better than my receiver being suspended 16 games, am I right. :shrug:

Just asked what promos they had to entice me to keep ST and was offered $25/month off for 6 months + free ST Max. Didn't bother arguing for anything more. I'm happy with that.

Just received the Sunday Ticket for free along with HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime free for 3 months. Along with that I received $35 dollars in credits for a year. No contract required.

Does anyone here have their DirecTV 'bundled' together with ATT (home phone, wireless, TV, or internet)?

I'm dropping my ATT internet next week and they say because I'll be left with 1 service (home phone) that bill will go up since it's no longer 'bundled' with another service. They suggested I bundle my DirecTV with my ATT home phone (I think they are partners or something) to retain my pricing. My only concern is if I do that, will I still be able to deal directly with DirecTV for this annual Sunday Ticket 'dance', since my bill is now being paid through ATT. The ATT rep said I would still call DirecTV for any programming changes (I didn't mention Sunday Ticket specifically when I asked), but I want to make doubly sure and see if anyone else here has insights/experience with this?

Users who are viewing this thread