What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (4 Viewers)

Any recommendations on scooter rentals at WDW? Pretty sure we're going to need one early next year when my parents come to Disney with my family.

There was a massive tugowar on the direction of the disney app. The tech stooges won and convinced the execs they could make all the problems go away via tech. They were obviously wrong. They need to get back to listening to the focus groups

For what I need the app for I love it. Works better than some previous versions and they’ve added some nice features. But I’m also not looking for some immersive experience.

Ok, Saturday we rolled over to the Disney hotel at 1130 and low and behold my sister's room was ready! Nothing else to add on the hotel side as it's all been covered before.

Sunday, those that stayed at the hotel got in early at 710! I met up at my son's hotel at 730 and then we walked over, cleared security and were in the park by 745 so we cruised main street until the rest of the park was opened up to us at 0800. We made a mistake by trying to go straight to Rise of the resistance, once we got back there the line was stretched out to about an hour and change so we U-turned it back to Thunder Mountain while reserving Indiana Jones.

Lightning Lane was crucial for me to enjoy the day as we walked right on Indiana after Thunder Mountain and immediately selected the mattahorn once we were checked in. We walked over and went on the mattahorn right away so we could sign up for space mountain. Once off the mattahorn we jumped on star tours (walked right on) and then buzz lightyear (walked right on). We realized once we got off space mountian that we had done 6 rides in just under 2 hours :banned: It was starting to get hot so we grabbed a bite to eat and reserved Soarin' around the world because we were switching parks right at 11, we did go on pirate's before switching because the wait time was 5 minutes. Once we switched it was time for Soarin' ; we had to wait an extra 15 mins because it broke but from there we did Guardians, incredicoaster and web slingers all with no wait thanks to LL. A quick lunch and some adult beverages and it was time for the rapids ride and then a few more adult beverages before heading back over to disney and a bunch of smaller rides. We then used the LL for thunder mountain and kept checking times for Rise but it was holding steady at 45 minutes so back to pirates with no wait it was. Once we got off pirate's we saw that Rise was down to a 15 minute wait as it was right before the fireworks so we walked back over there and literally never stopped walking through the line until we were on it!! From there we were done and made our way out of the park around 10ish, some of the stuff between 3-5pm is blurry because it was hot and we put down a good number beers :bag:

Ok, Saturday we rolled over to the Disney hotel at 1130 and low and behold my sister's room was ready! Nothing else to add on the hotel side as it's all been covered before.

Sunday, those that stayed at the hotel got in early at 710! I met up at my son's hotel at 730 and then we walked over, cleared security and were in the park by 745 so we cruised main street until the rest of the park was opened up to us at 0800. We made a mistake by trying to go straight to Rise of the resistance, once we got back there the line was stretched out to about an hour and change so we U-turned it back to Thunder Mountain while reserving Indiana Jones.

Lightning Lane was crucial for me to enjoy the day as we walked right on Indiana after Thunder Mountain and immediately selected the mattahorn once we were checked in. We walked over and went on the mattahorn right away so we could sign up for space mountain. Once off the mattahorn we jumped on star tours (walked right on) and then buzz lightyear (walked right on). We realized once we got off space mountian that we had done 6 rides in just under 2 hours :banned: It was starting to get hot so we grabbed a bite to eat and reserved Soarin' around the world because we were switching parks right at 11, we did go on pirate's before switching because the wait time was 5 minutes. Once we switched it was time for Soarin' ; we had to wait an extra 15 mins because it broke but from there we did Guardians, incredicoaster and web slingers all with no wait thanks to LL. A quick lunch and some adult beverages and it was time for the rapids ride and then a few more adult beverages before heading back over to disney and a bunch of smaller rides. We then used the LL for thunder mountain and kept checking times for Rise but it was holding steady at 45 minutes so back to pirates with no wait it was. Once we got off pirate's we saw that Rise was down to a 15 minute wait as it was right before the fireworks so we walked back over there and literally never stopped walking through the line until we were on it!! From there we were done and made our way out of the park around 10ish, some of the stuff between 3-5pm is blurry because it was hot and we put down a good number beers :bag:

Man I've never been to DIsneyland (only World) but being able to hit all those rides (that are in different parks at DW) in one day sounds pretty enticing.

Man I've never been to DIsneyland (only World) but being able to hit all those rides (that are in different parks at DW) in one day sounds pretty enticing.

Genie/LL is incredible. Suck it poor people!

I kid but it is fantastic and I hate that it’s become such a premium thing that many families are priced out of it.

I kid but it is fantastic and I hate that it’s become such a premium thing that many families are priced out of it.

It's only like 30 bucks even on high traffic days. When we were there last the Express pass at Universal was $400 per person, per day. On top of the ticket price :eek:

It's only like 30 bucks even on high traffic days. When we were there last the Express pass at Universal was $400 per person, per day. On top of the ticket price :eek:

It’s great. Today we rode FoP, Everest x 2, breakfast, Safari, Dino, grabbed a couple cocktails at Nomad Lounge, did some shopping, hopped to EPCOT while wife took a break/nap, AAA drinking around F&W, Remy, Nemo, Guardians x 2, watched that Awesome World short, more F&W and back to the room by 8pm.

Just a great day and honestly hard to pull it off since paper FP went away. We could have easily ridden Soarin, TT, Rapids, Spaceship Earth, Mission Space and maybe even Frozen but we skipped all of them just to take it easy and enjoy the day and eat and drink.

it was awesome and lord knows my legs were done on Monday. According to apple i walked just shy of 14 miles on sunday

the shark play is to stay at one of their deluxe resorts and the express pass is included as a free perk. If you have a family of more than 3 people it makes complete sense.

the shark play is to stay at one of their deluxe resorts and the express pass is included as a free perk. If you have a family of more than 3 people it makes complete sense.

Yeah they've caught onto that a bit though. We tried but it was only 1 day for 6 people and they wouldn't let us book for 1 night and required us to book 2 rooms (so 2 rooms for 2 nights each).

Can definitely be a savings in the right situation. But they've tightened up on it.

Yeah they've caught onto that a bit though. We tried but it was only 1 day for 6 people and they wouldn't let us book for 1 night and required us to book 2 rooms (so 2 rooms for 2 nights each).

Can definitely be a savings in the right situation. But they've tightened up on it.
Yeah, my brother has a family of 6 and he used to book a room for one night just to get the express pass. That was several years ago, so it looks like Universal finally figured things out.

So, hurricane day at Disney so I decided to be crazy since the wife was iffy about having fun in the rain. She was a trooper and did Hollywood all morning but bailed at lunch since more rain was moving in. The storm kept the crowds to ridiculous low levels so I did something I always wanted to do and hit all 4 parks.

Not sure I can top this day:

Slept in some, got up at 7:45, still at HS for early entry at 8:30. Rode Mickey-Minnie, Slinky, TSM, Rise, ToT x 2, RnR, blueberry Mickey waffles, Ronto Roosters. Lunch at Ale & Compass with the wife and she went to the room. I soldiered on.

EPCOT - hit a bunch of F&W kiosks while riding Remy, Frozen, Figment (still sucks), Soarin, Guardians x 2.

Quick stop at AK to ride Avatar and grab a cocktail at Nomad Lounge.

Got to MK just before 8:00. Rode Big Thunder, grabbed a BBQ slaw dog at Casey’s, rode Space Mountain and then bought a new Mickey Halloween coffee mug on my way out - got the hell out before the fireworks started. Just missed out on getting a late Tron VQ and wasn’t willing to pay the $20.

30k steps but was a really fun day.

So, hurricane day at Disney so I decided to be crazy since the wife was iffy about having fun in the rain. She was a trooper and did Hollywood all morning but bailed at lunch since more rain was moving in. The storm kept the crowds to ridiculous low levels so I did something I always wanted to do and hit all 4 parks.

Slept in some, got up at 7:45, still at HS for early entry at 8:30. Rode Mickey-Minnie, Slinky, TSM, Rise, ToT x 2, RnR, blueberry Mickey waffles, Ronto Roosters. Lunch at Ale & Compass with the wife and she went to the room. I soldiered on.

EPCOT - hit a bunch of F&W kiosks while riding Remy, Frozen, Figment (still sucks), Soarin, Guardians x 2.

Got to MK just before 8:00. Rode Big Thunder, grabbed a BBQ slaw dog at Casey’s, rode Space Mountain and then bought a new Mickey Halloween coffee mug on my way out - got the hell out before the fireworks started. Just missed out on getting a late Tron VQ and wasn’t willing to pay the $20.

Amazing.

I've seen people posting that were there today in some of the Disney groups as well. So jelly.

Just did this last week at Universal Orlando ( Tues-Wed ). we only had 3 people and I think they limit it to 5 per room. Were you trying to stay over the weekend and that's why they required 2 nights?

Amazing.

I've seen people posting that were there today in some of the Disney groups as well. So jelly.

Definitely had to bring a poncho but it really wasn’t nearly as bad as you would think. I always feel bad for folks who get rained out during one of their only visits but as long as it’s not pouring you can still manage to get a lot done - especially if you know what to do.

My wife and kids were in Epcot yesterday. Had their ponchos on and still had a good time. They did some princess breakfast and the pictures/videos make it look my daughter (5) was living her best life.

Definitely had to bring a poncho but it really wasn’t nearly as bad as you would think. I always feel bad for folks who get rained out during one of their only visits but as long as it’s not pouring you can still manage to get a lot done - especially if you know what to do.

I grew up in Florida and rainy days were always our favorite days because the parks cleared out and the lines were super short after. These days it's not like that as much anymore with people realizing this and the super expensive price of tickets that people aren't willing to just skip out on because of a little rain, but I guess the edge of a hurricane is still an exception to that rule!

Our kids grew up in Utah and last time we were at Animal Kingdom there was a typical Florida thunderstorm and our son (who was around 5 at the time) legit thought the world was ending. He'd never seen anything like it. It was actually late enough in the day that time that the park did clear out, so for the last hour or so we could just walk right on to most rides.

I grew up in Florida and rainy days were always our favorite days because the parks cleared out and the lines were super short after. These days it's not like that as much anymore with people realizing this and the super expensive price of tickets that people aren't willing to just skip out on because of a little rain, but I guess the edge of a hurricane is still an exception to that rule!

Our kids grew up in Utah and last time we were at Animal Kingdom there was a typical Florida thunderstorm and our son (who was around 5 at the time) legit thought the world was ending. He'd never seen anything like it. It was actually late enough in the day that time that the park did clear out, so for the last hour or so we could just walk right on to most rides.

I was not going to be deterred from Food and Wine!

Yep, folks have realized that if you have a durable poncho or good rain jacket then you can mange getting around. Although with little ones it becomes that much harder. With so many indoor rides and shows you can get a ton done. Thankfully the F&W kiosks mostly stayed open.

BTW - go to Morocco booth - great food.

D23 going on now, I missed the beginning, but so far
Epcot: Journey of Water opening Mid October, will have a Moana meet & Greet
Construction on Epcot will wrap up and officially open the last land, World Nature on Dec 5th
New Night time Epcot show opening Dec 5
Epcot: Test track is going to be reimagined, no set date yet, still in early concept work with Chevrolet, but they did mention it will have some inspiration from the original World of Motion attraction.
Magic Kingdom, a new Pirates themed tavern is in the early stages of concept in Adventureland

No official theme, but they are confirming that there will be an expansion past Big Thunder Mountain in the Magic Kingdom

Animal Kingdom: Zootopia is going to the Tree of Life, I'm assuming replacing Bugs Life movie

Dinoland will be replaced with a new geographical area, South America/Tropical Americas....and they hinted at an Encanto attraction

Not so subtle hint at India Jones replacing Dinosaur

All still in very early development so not a lot of information or official announcements

Early hotel hours are a big fat waste of time at animal kingdom. Fyi everybody.

Think it depends on how anxious you are to ride Avatar: FOP or to see animals. But generally speaking I agree - especially if you are willing to pay for the FOP LL. My recommendation to folks is to always get Genie and then park hop. But I know everybody’s touring is different.

Early hotel hours are a big fat waste of time at animal kingdom. Fyi everybody.

Think it depends on how anxious you are to ride Avatar: FOP or to see animals. But generally speaking I agree - especially if you are willing to pay for the FOP LL. My recommendation to folks is to always get Genie and then park hop. But I know everybody’s touring is different.
FOP was only thing open. The safari wasn't running. Gorilla falls wasn't even open. That is just walking around looking at animals, how can that be closed???
. I am mostly just annoyed because they don't tell you nothing is open until you get there.

My ankle is still super messed up, so a fruitless hike to expedition Everest is pretty freaking annoying. They had 9 cast members standing outside the queue. How about you put two people there and then put a few at the two entrances into asia. Since literally not a single thing was open in Asia. Or maybe you could use, oh I don't know, a rope and block off the completely closed area.

Just saw a blurb about prices going up today. Curious how it compares to when I last went eight years ago on my 40th.

Just got back from a WDW short trip. Stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. We typically stay at Boardwalk / Beach Club to minimize bus travel to the parks, but was pleasantly surprised at the wait times for the buses. Definitely better than our last trip.

My daughter’s dance team got invited to dance in a parade at MK. Very cool experience for her as she is a huge Disney fan. We were told that there would be a VIP party for all the dancers and their families the night of the parade. They chartered a bus to AK at 9pm. Got escorted to Pandora, where we had access to FoP and Navi all to ourselves until midnight. Daughter and her friends rode FoP 5 times. They put out food, drinks and dessert for us as well. Amazing experience for us.

Just got back from a WDW short trip. Stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. We typically stay at Boardwalk / Beach Club to minimize bus travel to the parks, but was pleasantly surprised at the wait times for the buses. Definitely better than our last trip.

My daughter’s dance team got invited to dance in a parade at MK. Very cool experience for her as she is a huge Disney fan. We were told that there would be a VIP party for all the dancers and their families the night of the parade. They chartered a bus to AK at 9pm. Got escorted to Pandora, where we had access to FoP and Navi all to ourselves until midnight. Daughter and her friends rode FoP 5 times. They put out food, drinks and dessert for us as well. Amazing experience for us.
Very, very cool experience . My niece did a band thing at Disney Springs a few years ago, but they didn't have any kind of party for them. Glad to see Disney stepped up their game here.

We had an absolutely beautiful room at Bay Lake Tower on Sunday. Awesome park view. Since my wife will not fly, we're stuck driving everywhere so we stopped in Orlando for the night on our way to the Florida Keys.
We didn't do any parks since we were just there for the day, but we did hit up Trader Sams and checked out the gingerbread house in the Grand Floridian. We hit up Disney Springs for dinner and it was a zoo. We pretty much walked around for an hour, got dinner and went back to the hotel to swim.
We lucked out and got to see the Christmas party fireworks at 10:00. If I knew the Party was going on, I probably would have went with my daughter, but I really didn't pay attention, so my fault there.

Wow, this thread has been quiet.
Anyway, the family and my parents are t-minus 27 days to our next trip. We got our park tickets yesterday and I'm astounded how much more they were than just this time last year.
We're hitting up Boathouse, Le Chef de France and Ohana for dinner, with two days still undecided. One night will just be me and my wife (we're driving since my wife won't fly and my kids and parents are taking a late flight) so we'll probably do something fancy that night.
I'm trying to do as many things as my parents want too since this is likely the last time they'll be going. Staying at Jambo House since my dad has always wanted to. Going to Ohana since it's my mom's favorite going to France because it's my dad's favorite.
Beginning of March can't come fast enough.

Country Bears are being remade to sing country versions of Disney songs, set to debut in 2024
We so happened to be in Magic Kingdom on Friday 1/26, which was the last day of Country Bears before it was shut down for the remake. It was packed, and the woman next to me said she and her family had flown down from Michigan the night before just for this.

Our son was recently diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, and in the past year has increasingly been unable to cope with being in crowds and in situations where multiple conversations are going on. He feels overwhelmed and complains of sensory overload. Before we left, we were able to get him a DAS pass, which essentially functions like the Lightning Lane system without cost. It was a godsend. He handled everything much better than we expected. We also learned that the best strategy with him is to come to the parks early, then go back to the hotel and rest, then return to the park at night. Once he's been in a park for about 5 hours straight, he's had it.

Anyway, the family and my parents are t-minus 27 days to our next trip. We got our park tickets yesterday and I'm astounded how much more they were than just this time last year.
We're hitting up Boathouse, Le Chef de France and Ohana for dinner, with two days still undecided. One night will just be me and my wife (we're driving since my wife won't fly and my kids and parents are taking a late flight) so we'll probably do something fancy that night.
I'm trying to do as many things as my parents want too since this is likely the last time they'll be going. Staying at Jambo House since my dad has always wanted to. Going to Ohana since it's my mom's favorite going to France because it's my dad's favorite.
Has Disney fatigue officially set in for everyone? This is the first time in the longest that we really have no plans to go. ROI just isn't what it used to be, at least not IMO. Huge crowds that are seemingly becoming a bit more obnoxious, that could just be my twitter and Reddit feeds though?

Kids are busting a gut to get back to Universal though.

Has Disney fatigue officially set in for everyone? This is the first time in the longest that we really have no plans to go. ROI just isn't what it used to be, at least not IMO. Huge crowds that are seemingly becoming a bit more obnoxious, that could just be my twitter and Reddit feeds though?

Sounds like your kids outgrew Disney. Mine did as well. There came a time where they wanted Universal instead.
Haven't been to Disney since 2018 and I honestly don't miss it or their ridiculous prices.

Sounds like your kids outgrew Disney. Mine did as well. There came a time where they wanted Universal instead.
Haven't been to Disney since 2018 and I honestly don't miss it or their ridiculous prices.
2014-2018 was sort of our golden age of Disney. When talking prices and what not with friends and amongst ourselves we came up with the idea that $1000 a day at Disney allowed you to live like kings for your vacation. Nice Deluxe resort, tickets, park hopper, plenty of food with the meal plan, drinks...it all seemed to average out $1000 a day (very unscientifically).

Now that just sort of seems like the price to stay on property and get in the park.

Our kids are 7 and 9 and our trip this year was the first time they were interested in Universal (which they liked a lot as well). I think we've still got a fair number of Disney years left though as they still prefer Disney and talk about it a lot.

Unless you're on the monorail or skyliner staying on property isn't worth it imo. The crowded buses suck donkey balls. But mainly it really ramps up the cost because not only are the hotels more expensive, but that means you're eating out for every meal (and paying Disney prices) too.

You can get a 9 bedroom house with private pool/spa, a movie theater, a private commercial quality arcade, and tricked out theme rooms that are as nice as Disney itself for the cost of 2 rooms at the All-star resort. So especially if you can gather a small group to split the house cost it gets a lot cheaper really fast. We usually do about a week there but only hit the parks every other day as the house itself (and the resort/waterparks in the house communities that are free) are almost as much fun as the park itself. It's not a fair comparison because we own the rental there so obviously doesn't cost us anything (other than lost rent) but even if we were paying for that, once you're factoring in the lower costs in the property (we usually go with at least 1 other family), having a kitchen for meals on rest days, and a day or two less in the parks while we're enjoying the house/resort it gets a lot cheaper real fast.

I have lived very near WDW for the past decade. I've had an Annual Pass that entire time, and visit the parks an average of 1-2 times per week.

In my opinion, the WDW Experience just isn't what it used to be.

It is more expensive than ever. It has been more crowded than ever, it is more complicated than ever, it is more stale than ever.

Expense - One of my favorite little activities to do as a local, is to go to Crews Cup Lounge at Yacht Club, have a couple of their Old Fashioneds and an order of the truffle fries. That is now a $50 endeavor, per person. It is still nice, but at a certain point, you have to ask yourself, "Is this worth it?" and I think more and more often, the answer is "no." You get a little cup of fries and two drinks and it's a $50 tab.

This example is just a microcosm of the rising cost of a Disney vacation. The dining, the hotel rooms, the tickets are all rising, and have moved beyond the level that seem like they're worth the money. Is the Old Fashioned at Crews Cup, really good? Yes. Are the fries good? Yes. Is the atmosphere good? Yes. Is that experience worth the price? I dont really think it is anymore. And I think that, the question of, "is this - WORTH - it?" is more often answered with "no" than "yes" in the current version of the WDW Experience.

Crowds - The post-covid era has seen large crowds at nearly all times of the year. With that said, in recent months, I would anecdotally say that crowds seem to have been thinning out. The parks aren't empty, but, it has felt less crowded than this time of year, has "traditionally" been since the end of Covid. In my mind, crowds are often about how a park "feels" rather than how long the lines are for certain attractions. During the 2019-2023 Post-Covid Era, the parks felt more crowded than ever before. More people mean more frustration, more waiting and more stress.

Complicated - Genie+, Lightning Lane. Park Reservations. No Magical Express. Parking Security at Hotels not allowing you to park there to explore the resort. Reservation windows for rooms and dining. Connecting Tickets & Reservations on the Disney website.

All of this makes a Disney vacation feel more complicated than ever before. In the past "hacking" your day at the Disney Parks was sort of fun. With just a little bit of research and strategy, you could "beat" a lot of the other guests at the park that day. Wait in shorter lines, eat at better restaurants and have a better day. In the current edition of the parks, even with a lot of research, planning and "hacking" you can still miss out on the things that you want to do, and end up having a not very enjoyable time - at a cost that is higher than ever before.

Stale - Obviously as a local, the parks are going to be a different experience for me than a family from Des Moines that comes once a year, or even a family from NY that might take multiple "long weekends" down here at WDW. But, in my opinion, the parks have really just stagnated. There have been new attractions built, and new lands over the past few years, but I would argue that several of those rides are difficult to access (Tron & Rise of the Resistance), or aren't nearly the "draw" that maybe they should be. I love Star Wars. Do I think Star Wars land is cool? Yes. Would I tell people to make a specific trip just to come and see Star Wars Land? No. It doesn't rise to that level, and the depressing part of that - is that it COULD - have been to that level. But, like many things at WDW, budget cuts hit SW Land hard, and it ended up feeling a lot more sterile than the original plans called for it to be.

I know this will make it seem like I hate WDW, or I have a vendetta against it or I'm angry with the company. The reality is, that I'm sad that the Parks simply aren't as enjoyable as they used to be, and I now have to pay more money for a worse product.

Is there still magic to be found at WDW? Yes. Is it still fun? Yes. Is it as good as it used to be? No. Is it as good of a value as it used to be? No.

The other sad part of this, is that with the current systems in place, even if WDW announced tomorrow that they were doing a major overhaul of the Parks, not only building new things, but revamping the operations of what they already have, it would take - YEARS - for this to come to fruition. If a new E-Ticket is announced at D23, it will likely be almost 2030 by the time it opens. And, even if & when it does open, what will it take for me, as a guest to actually get to experience that new attraction or land or park? How much money? How much effort?

WDW isn't a terrible place. I was at Hollywood Studios just a few days ago. But it is a worse experience than it used to be, and that sucks. I hope it can find a way to return to its former glory.

Agree GM....we were pass holders before COVID and have been back a few times in the last few months. Parks were pretty good the last couple times we went, but prices are up for the same product and they are going up again in 2025. I am curious what those going to Ohana above what their opinions are. It seems like a shell of itself to me.

Agree GM....we were pass holders before COVID and have been back a few times in the last few months. Parks were pretty good the last couple times we went, but prices are up for the same product and they are going up again in 2025. I am curious what those going to Ohana above what their opinions are. It seems like a shell of itself to me.
I'm going to Ohana because it's my mom's favorite. I'd probably skip it otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread