What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (10 Viewers)

Agree GM....we were pass holders before COVID and have been back a few times in the last few months. Parks were pretty good the last couple times we went, but prices are up for the same product and they are going up again in 2025. I am curious what those going to Ohana above what their opinions are. It seems like a shell of itself to me.
I'm going to Ohana because it's my mom's favorite. I'd probably skip it otherwise.
And I think that is what is so tough about the current state of WDW. It isn't -bad- but the value of the experience makes me (us) question it, and in the past, I almost never questioned, whether what I was paying for, was worth it.

We go to Disney to escape the real world in some way, shape or form. But, when we pull out that debit card for a $9.25 Bud Light (plus tax and tip), we are pulled out of that escape for a moment. Or when we're in a long line for a ride. Or when we're eating a $20 microwaveable pizza that isn't very good, because we couldn't get into (or "can't" afford) the restaurant we really wanted to go to, we are confronted with a "real world" problem in a place where we go to escape that.

Additionally, I do find the parks more sterile and more stale than ever. Again, I realize living so close to the parks and having an annual pass gives me a warped perspective on that, but it really does feel like the parks are either the exact same thing as they have been for too long, and/or the additions that they're bringing in are more akin to a sterile place to sell merchandise than it is a transformative piece of imagineering that used to be built, at least somewhat regularly.

The loss of actual human being entertainers contributes to the "sterile" feel of the parks in a big way. Remember the street performers at Hollywood Studios? The nighttime parades at Magic Kingdom? The bands at Hollywood Studios? The band at the Grand Floridian? There isn't a lot of human energy in the parks that aren't guests. I miss that, a lot. Walking around a corner and coming upon a band playing, or an acting troupe doing a skit or entering a lobby and hearing a piano player, really add to the experience - even if - you don't stop and watch for 15 or 20 minutes, on a "subconscious" level, stuff like that really made the parks feel "alive" and like a real place.

I know this will sound ridiculous considering we're talking about Theme Parks, but the loss of the human entertainers, really makes the parks, resorts etc. feel more "fake." It is much easier to notice that the buildings are facades, or the forced perspective tricks they're using on us, or yes, even the expense of the expereince, when we aren't consistently "running into" entertainment and distractions that pull us into the "fantasy world" of the parks and out of the "real world."

Last edited:
Agree GM....we were pass holders before COVID and have been back a few times in the last few months. Parks were pretty good the last couple times we went, but prices are up for the same product and they are going up again in 2025. I am curious what those going to Ohana above what their opinions are. It seems like a shell of itself to me.
I'm going to Ohana because it's my mom's favorite. I'd probably skip it otherwise.

Went last August, Ohana has lost its charm.

Going back to Disney this August and doing the Food & Wine Festival with my now 21 year old daughter. Probably doing Hollywood Studios as well. Then a a day at Universal. This is probably our last year going to Disney for the forseeable future. Want to start travelling around the world now that the kids are grown.

Wow, this thread has been quiet.
Anyway, the family and my parents are t-minus 27 days to our next trip. We got our park tickets yesterday and I'm astounded how much more they were than just this time last year.
We're hitting up Boathouse, Le Chef de France and Ohana for dinner, with two days still undecided. One night will just be me and my wife (we're driving since my wife won't fly and my kids and parents are taking a late flight) so we'll probably do something fancy that night.
I'm trying to do as many things as my parents want too since this is likely the last time they'll be going. Staying at Jambo House since my dad has always wanted to. Going to Ohana since it's my mom's favorite going to France because it's my dad's favorite.
Beginning of March can't come fast enough.
Has Disney fatigue officially set in for everyone? This is the first time in the longest that we really have no plans to go. ROI just isn't what it used to be, at least not IMO. Huge crowds that are seemingly becoming a bit more obnoxious, that could just be my twitter and Reddit feeds though?

Kids are busting a gut to get back to Universal though.

I have lived very near WDW for the past decade. I've had an Annual Pass that entire time, and visit the parks an average of 1-2 times per week.

In my opinion, the WDW Experience just isn't what it used to be.

It is more expensive than ever. It has been more crowded than ever, it is more complicated than ever, it is more stale than ever.

Expense - One of my favorite little activities to do as a local, is to go to Crews Cup Lounge at Yacht Club, have a couple of their Old Fashioneds and an order of the truffle fries. That is now a $50 endeavor, per person. It is still nice, but at a certain point, you have to ask yourself, "Is this worth it?" and I think more and more often, the answer is "no." You get a little cup of fries and two drinks and it's a $50 tab.

This example is just a microcosm of the rising cost of a Disney vacation. The dining, the hotel rooms, the tickets are all rising, and have moved beyond the level that seem like they're worth the money. Is the Old Fashioned at Crews Cup, really good? Yes. Are the fries good? Yes. Is the atmosphere good? Yes. Is that experience worth the price? I dont really think it is anymore. And I think that, the question of, "is this - WORTH - it?" is more often answered with "no" than "yes" in the current version of the WDW Experience.

Crowds - The post-covid era has seen large crowds at nearly all times of the year. With that said, in recent months, I would anecdotally say that crowds seem to have been thinning out. The parks aren't empty, but, it has felt less crowded than this time of year, has "traditionally" been since the end of Covid. In my mind, crowds are often about how a park "feels" rather than how long the lines are for certain attractions. During the 2019-2023 Post-Covid Era, the parks felt more crowded than ever before. More people mean more frustration, more waiting and more stress.

Complicated - Genie+, Lightning Lane. Park Reservations. No Magical Express. Parking Security at Hotels not allowing you to park there to explore the resort. Reservation windows for rooms and dining. Connecting Tickets & Reservations on the Disney website.

All of this makes a Disney vacation feel more complicated than ever before. In the past "hacking" your day at the Disney Parks was sort of fun. With just a little bit of research and strategy, you could "beat" a lot of the other guests at the park that day. Wait in shorter lines, eat at better restaurants and have a better day. In the current edition of the parks, even with a lot of research, planning and "hacking" you can still miss out on the things that you want to do, and end up having a not very enjoyable time - at a cost that is higher than ever before.

Stale - Obviously as a local, the parks are going to be a different experience for me than a family from Des Moines that comes once a year, or even a family from NY that might take multiple "long weekends" down here at WDW. But, in my opinion, the parks have really just stagnated. There have been new attractions built, and new lands over the past few years, but I would argue that several of those rides are difficult to access (Tron & Rise of the Resistance), or aren't nearly the "draw" that maybe they should be. I love Star Wars. Do I think Star Wars land is cool? Yes. Would I tell people to make a specific trip just to come and see Star Wars Land? No. It doesn't rise to that level, and the depressing part of that - is that it COULD - have been to that level. But, like many things at WDW, budget cuts hit SW Land hard, and it ended up feeling a lot more sterile than the original plans called for it to be.

I know this will make it seem like I hate WDW, or I have a vendetta against it or I'm angry with the company. The reality is, that I'm sad that the Parks simply aren't as enjoyable as they used to be, and I now have to pay more money for a worse product.

Is there still magic to be found at WDW? Yes. Is it still fun? Yes. Is it as good as it used to be? No. Is it as good of a value as it used to be? No.

The other sad part of this, is that with the current systems in place, even if WDW announced tomorrow that they were doing a major overhaul of the Parks, not only building new things, but revamping the operations of what they already have, it would take - YEARS - for this to come to fruition. If a new E-Ticket is announced at D23, it will likely be almost 2030 by the time it opens. And, even if & when it does open, what will it take for me, as a guest to actually get to experience that new attraction or land or park? How much money? How much effort?

WDW isn't a terrible place. I was at Hollywood Studios just a few days ago. But it is a worse experience than it used to be, and that sucks. I hope it can find a way to return to its former glory.

I grew up nearly Orlando so lots of Disney growing up. Last time we were there in May I still had as good a time as ever, but I don't live there any more so it's more of a once a year thing now, not living it every day like you.

On the flipside. I live right near major ski resorts and I would say the same thing about them, but even moreso. 5 years ago I could pay $70 for a ski ticket, park 20 yards from the lift, and ride all day without ever waiting in a lift line. Now that same lift ticket at that same resort is $250, I have to park 3 miles away and wait 45 minutes for a shuttle to ride to the lift, and some of the lift lines are a quarter mile long.

I think it's just the reality these days for most experiences, given that 1) travel/experiences have shot up people's priority list the last 10 years, and 2) the economy has running hot for a really long time and most people can afford to prioritize that kind of stuff (even if they post on facebook that they can't, sandwiched between pics of their trip to Park City and their trip to Disney).

People used to want to buy stuff. Now people want to do stuff. Traveling 10 years ago was a different world. Everyone is doing it now and all those travel places are feeling the impact of it. 10 years ago it felt like I had the Utah national parks to myself. Now they look like a particularly busy day at Disney world.

Trying to finish my thoughts, and I know I've already written a novel in this thread this morning.

But, I'll say this - I think at this moment, Disney is in a very tenuous position with the Theme Parks. If they don't make changes, I think there could be a significant decrease in attendance in the coming years. More and more people are going to ask themselves if their money is best spent at Disney World, or in a different place. And as costs at WDW continue to rise, and the quality goes down, it is inevitable that people will find another place to spend their money.

Additionally, as people are having fewer kids (in-part because of financial hardship) there won't be as many families to come and enjoy WDW as a "right of passage" as it felt like it was in the 90s and 00s. Childless Milliennials or 1-child families are probably more likely to go on a cruise, or go to Paris or Italy, or whatever, rather than go to WDW.

Thirdly, why would I go to the Disney Parks, when the Disney movie studios aren't putting out anything all that great? Am I really going to drop $10K on a vacation to go and see a rumored "Zootopia Land?" Probably not. Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast? Those were cultural phenomenom type of movies. The last non-Star Wars or Marvel movie that Disney produced that reached that level of cultural success (different than box office) was probably Frozen, which came out in 2013. What did we get for Frozen at the WDW Parks? An overlay of a ride at Epcot (that is now a worse attraction than the ride it replaced), and a meet & greet space. We also got a sing-along stage show at Hollywood Studios, that was supposed to be temporary, but stuck around long-term, because at least it filled a large space in the middle of the park.

Oh good, they built that cool Tron coaster, that they have in Japan! How do I get on it? Well, it costs extra money, to go on that ride specifically. And for that privlige you have to be standing in a certain place at a certain time and be on the Disney Phone App, to even have the opportunity to pay that fee, to get on the ride. If you don't get "on the list" that you're paying to be on, you then will likely have to wait in a crazy long line. Oh, and the ride is literally 60 seconds long.

There are some legitimate, deep-seeded operational and company wide issues that Disney needs to address, or the Parks Division of the Company is going to continue to decline in quality, and the inevitable decline in attendance at the parks won't be too far behind. They need to wake up, and do it quickly, or the 2025-2030ish time period could be pretty quiet at WDW.

Hot take. Ohana was always overrated 😬

People used to want to buy stuff. Now people want to do stuff. Traveling 10 years ago was a different world. Everyone is doing it now and all those travel places are feeling the impact of it. 10 years ago it felt like I had the Utah national parks to myself. Now they look like a particularly busy day at Disney world.

I'm a teacher, so it isn't like I have a ton of extra income to go on lavish trips, but I do have time off, and I use it to travel as much as possible. I have noticed what you mention, in my European travels as well.

After my trip last Summer to Scotland & Ireland, I have decided to avoid big European cities as my future travel destination. I visited Edinburgh (lovely), Dublin (fine) and Galway (awesome).

Galway was my favorite stop, because it "felt" like I was visitng a real foreign place. In places like Dublin and London and Paris, the experiences there have become so homogenized and overcrowded, that it ironically, as you said, feels like a day at Disney World.

Central Paris seems more like a theme park than an actual, real place at this point. You have to leave those big European cities to get an authentic experience. And I'm guessing that the popular National Parks or ski-resorts that you mention are very similar. It isn't "real" anymore because so many people are doing it, that a lot of our travels have just become new places to take selfies and buy crap that we don't need. Sitting in a dive bar in Ireland, watching the weather roll in, while I talked to a local mechanic is far more interesting and valuable experience to me, than taking a picture in the heart of London's shopping district, while the hum of the neon lights of a Five Guys Burgers and Fries, ring in my ear.

I have to agree. Went once and was very underwhelmed. Not one of us thought it was worth the hype.

Oh good, they built that cool Tron coaster, that they have in Japan! How do I get on it? Well, it costs extra money, to go on that ride specifically. And for that privlige you have to be standing in a certain place at a certain time and be on the Disney Phone App, to even have the opportunity to pay that fee, to get on the ride. If you don't get "on the list" that you're paying to be on, you then will likely have to wait in a crazy long line. Oh, and the ride is literally 60 seconds long.

FWIW, you don't have to pay extra to ride Tron. Virtual Queue is free, and when we were there even when the ride was brand new (and so in high demand) we had no problem getting that. Yes it did require opening the app at a specific time in the morning but at least for me, no longer living there, that's part of the "hack" to the trip.

I totally understand that some people find the genie+ etc stuff intimidating, and it totally is intimidating to read about (but much easier to use once you're actually using it). I definitely still get that proud "I hacked this place" feeling when using it though. Our last trip in May was with another family who had 2 kids the same age as our kids and I was the Disney guy that did all the LL's etc, and they were just bragging all trip about how their personal Disney assistant made their trip amazing and how everything went off without a hitch and we got to ride so much stuff. Actually felt pretty cool.

FWIW, you don't have to pay extra to ride Tron. Virtual Queue is free, and when we were there even when the ride was brand new (and so in high demand) we had no problem getting that. Yes it did require opening the app at a specific time in the morning but at least for me, no longer living there, that's part of the "hack" to the trip.

I totally understand that some people find the genie+ etc stuff intimidating, and it totally is intimidating to read about (but much easier to use once you're actually using it). I definitely still get that proud "I hacked this place" feeling when using it though. Our last trip in May was with another family who had 2 kids the same age as our kids and I was the Disney guy that did all the LL's etc, and they were just bragging all trip about how their personal Disney assistant made their trip amazing and how everything went off without a hitch and we got to ride so much stuff. Actually felt pretty cool.

I loved the Genie app. When I got to say Hollywood Studios, I'll get the Fastpass for Aerosmith and then go wait in line for Tower of Terror. Then I get Rise of the Resistance and wait in Smugglers run, Toy Story Mania and wait for Slinky Dog. I do miss the paper Fastpass system though because there were always people who would just give the passes away because they couldn't use them. It was a great way for me to catch my breath as a parent and go take a seat while my kids hopped on a ride.

You're right, I was a bit inaccurate in my depiction of the difficulties in getting on Tron. The whole Genie+ thing, is still intimidating, and even as a local, and a tech-savvy one at that, I find that while yes, you can use Genie+ effectively, that the time and energy it takes to "hack" the system is really a big barrier to entry for me, and I would imagine a lot of others.

I'm sure if I invested more time and energy into learning the Genie+ / Lightning Lane system that I could get a better handle on it, but it just feels like even if I do invest that time and energy into it, that ultimately 1) I won't want to pay for the service (especially as a local that visits frequently) and 2) Even if I better understood the system, I'm not sure that for me personally, in the way I visit, it would actually be all that beneficial anyway. If you're a less frequent visitor, I would 100% reccommend getting more familiar with the Genie+ system, just like you describe.

The way I try and explain the complications to people is I'll bring up a retired couple. If you've got say a couple that are 66 years old from Iowa City, Iowa that want to take a trip to WDW to celebrate their retirement, you practically have to enroll them in a Disney World College Course if they want to have an enjoyable time on their own, especially if they struggle with technology and/or smart phones. That stinks.

I loved the Genie app. When I got to say Hollywood Studios, I'll get the Fastpass for Aerosmith and then go wait in line for Tower of Terror. Then I get Rise of the Resistance and wait in Smugglers run, Toy Story Mania and wait for Slinky Dog. I do miss the paper Fastpass system though because there were always people who would just give the passes away because they couldn't use them. It was a great way for me to catch my breath as a parent and go take a seat while my kids hopped on a ride.

I'm genuinely glad to hear you guys are having success with Genie. I tried it after it first came out but after a few attempts at using it in the parks, I gave up on it. I found that for me personally, it just wasn't worth the cost or the hassle. After reading a few of these positive experiences with it, I'm going to give it another shot.

I'm genuinely glad to hear you guys are having success with Genie. I tried it after it first came out but after a few attempts at using it in the parks, I gave up on it. I found that for me personally, it just wasn't worth the cost or the hassle. After reading a few of these positive experiences with it, I'm going to give it another shot.

I think I paid $15 per person. Universal wanted like $150 per person for their fast pass. I'm all for companies trying to make money, but c'mon. That's crazy.

I think I paid $15 per person. Universal wanted like $150 per person for their fast pass. I'm all for companies trying to make money, but c'mon. That's crazy.
Very true. But, probably part of my hang-up is that even if it is "only" $15 per person, per day. That is something that we all used to get for free, included in the price of our admission ticket. And, that admission ticket used to be cheaper than it is now.

Increased cost. Decreased value.

$15 x 4 people for 5 Park Days is $300. In the past, that would have been $0. So, maybe instead of spending $300 on Genie+, you would stay in your resort an extra night or maybe you could stay at a better resort, for $X more a night, and use the $300 that way.

Those $15 Genie charges and $9.25 Bud Lights may not break the bank themselves, but they add up, and often result in having to sacrifice something else, that in the past we didn't have to sacrifice.

And I'll also say this, I'm coming at this from the perspective of somebody that makes like $50k a year. If you've got the time and cash? It is MUCH easier to enjoy WDW than it is if your budget is limited. And I don't say that to make anybody feel bad for having the money to have fun, but I think it is worth pointing out, that now more than ever, your vacation budget can really determine your level of satisfaction with your WDW experience.

Very true. But, probably part of my hang-up is that even if it is "only" $15 per person, per day. That is something that we all used to get for free, included in the price of our admission ticket. And, that admission ticket used to be cheaper than it is now.

$15 x 4 people for 5 Park Days is $300. In the past, that would have been $0. So, maybe instead of spending $300 on Genie+, you would stay in your resort an extra night or maybe you could stay at a better resort, for $X more a night, and use that $300 that way.

Those $15 Genie charges and $9.25 Bud Lights may not break the bank themselves, but they add up, and often result in having to sacrifice something else, that in the past we didn't have to sacrifice.

And I'll also say this, I'm coming at this from the perspective of somebody that makes like $50k a year. If you've got the time and cash? It is MUCH easier to enjoy WDW than it is if your budget is limited. And I don't say that to make anybody feel bad for having the money to have fun, but I think it is worth pointing out, that now more than ever, your vacation budget can really determine your level of satisfaction with your WDW experience.
My wife and I are teachers too, and we've been fortunate enough to take our kids to WDW 5 times since 2010, and once to DL. But when I look back at what we spent on those trips, even back in the early 2010s, it's just insane. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't regret one penny we spent on those trips, as my kids still love Disney even though now late teens/early 20s, and we have so many awesome memories. But we've always been as budget conscious as we can be on our salaries, plus, having 3 kids on our first trip, and then 5 on the rest after we adopted two more. We haven't stayed on property since 2014, since it's so much cheaper to rent a house off property. We haven't done more than 1-2 sit down meals since that time either. But we still have had a great time. We don't go every year, so I haven't quite reached the point where it's priced us out, but I still wholeheartedly agree that when I compare what we got for our money 12 years ago versus today, there's no comparison.

The way I try and explain the complications to people is I'll bring up a retired couple. If you've got say a couple that are 66 years old from Iowa City, Iowa that want to take a trip to WDW to celebrate their retirement, you practically have to enroll them in a Disney World College Course if they want to have an enjoyable time on their own, especially if they struggle with technology and/or smart phones. That stinks.

I totally get where you're coming from. You can still do Disney the old way and just wait in line though. Yes the park is more crowded and the lines may be a bit longer but I remember waiting in line for Splash Mountain for 160 minutes 20 years ago. Barring the couple very very new attractions that have virtual queues (which is only 2 rides total across all 4 parks) you can still do that on any ride.

Genie+ etc then gives the option for those of us that would rather move the headache to a few weeks before the trip and out of the line to do so. I will readily admit that I have a biased perspective on this because I am a serial travel planner. I get off on sitting on the computer late at night planning trips (wait your turn pornhub, italygeeks.com just posted a new guide on the secret less crowded wineries of Tuscany that don't have a tasting fee). So being able to geek out on the optimal Disney itinerary a few months ahead of the trip so the actual travel days are super smooth and everyone says I'm the best dad ever is right up my alley. I totally get that is not for everyone, but I do think people sometimes get stuck on the idea that because it's an option, they have to do it.

$15 x 4 people for 5 Park Days is $300. In the past, that would have been $0. So, maybe instead of spending $300 on Genie+, you would stay in your resort an extra night or maybe you could stay at a better resort, for $X more a night, and use the $300 that way.

I think this is just travel though. I think everyone near any even remotely popular destination is saying the exact same things. There are just a lot more people prioritizing travel now. Whether it's social media making people more jealous, or social media making people want to create their own great experiences to share, or boomers will tons of money that are retiring and traveling more, or the younger generations just growing up in a world where experiences > material things, the world has moved in that direction.

I already mentioned skiing, but summer is just as bad here in Utah. I used to be able to drive into Arches for 7 bucks, have the place to myself, see the whole park, and then head over to the Moab brewery for a pint and a burger for 10 bucks. Now it's 80 bucks to get into the park, I have to plan ahead to make a park entry reservation, wait in line outside the park for an hour at my reservation time, get in with bumper to bumper traffic and difficult to find parking that only leaves me enough time to see 1/3 of the park, after which I can head over to the Moab brewery and wait an hour for a table for the opportunity to pay $30 for that same burger and pint.

Maybe some hyperbole there, but not much! I totally get where you're coming from, but as travelers 10-20 years ago we were all ahead of the game. Now that the secret is out and demand is through the roof everything can't raise prices fast enough to slow the crowds, so we get experiences that are both more crowded and more expensive.

Thats a beautiful summary @Goldminer1 Thats exactly how we feel about it. Still love it. I feel like we had a fantastic 6-8 year run, wouldn't trade it for anything. But this last trip my wife and I realized our favorite part was having a few beers at the Poly pool at the end of the day. That seems to be the one spot that still feels like it did in 2014.

We have some DVC points every other year I'm sure we'll still use, but planning an entire Disney trip these days seems exhausting.

Thats a beautiful summary @Goldminer1 Thats exactly how we feel about it. Still love it. I feel like we had a fantastic 6-8 year run, wouldn't trade it for anything. But this last trip my wife and I realized our favorite part was having a few beers at the Poly pool at the end of the day. That seems to be the one spot that still feels like it did in 2014.

We have some DVC points every other year I'm sure we'll still use, but planning an entire Disney trip these days seems exhausting.
Glad you still found a spot to find some Magic. I love the Poly in the evening, so beautiful and calm.

Maybe this is just a "downswing" at WDW and it will bounce back. They have had eras like that in the past, and recovered from them. I think for me what is scary is that because of the pace that Disney does things and builds things, that even if changes are made/implemented, it will take years for us to fully experience many of them. And, because the parks, are still pretty crowded, and rooms are being sold, there isn't much of a reason to react or panic on Disney's part.

But, imagine Universal Studios announcing Super Nintendo World was coming to their parks in 2010, and Disney doing absolutely nothing in "response" to that. It seems impossible. But, as of now, the Mouse really doesn't have a response to Epic Universe coming to Orlando, and it's scheduled to open in 2025. At this point, Disney's "response" probably won't open until Super Nintendo World is 5+ years old.

But, people are still paying to come to the Parks, so why change anything? It all feels like a very interesting "moment" in the history of the Disney Parks.

It seems like there are more negative feelings about the parks, sort of bubbling under the surface, for a lot more people, than there used to be. Disney can absolutely get out ahead of this before it becomes a "crisis" and attendance plummets. But as time inevitably marches on, and Disney continues to bury its head in the sand about the true state of the WDW Guest Experience, I think that the "crisis" becomes a much more realistic scenario.

As was mentioned earlier, travel around the country and the world is seemingly more accessible than ever before. When more options present themselves, Disney's market share of people's travel/entertainment budgets come more into question. And if you were a "Disney Family" from 2005-2015, at this point, are you really giving up all that much by going to actual France (or New Orleans) for a week instead of staying at Port Orleans French Quarter at WDW, again? I'm not so sure.

This quote from Ray Bradbury captures how I feel about WDW very well:

"The secret of Disney is doing things you don’t need and doing them well, and then you realize you needed them all along.”

I hope we can get back to that version of WDW.

Last edited:
Just got back from WDW. Did one day at Magic Kingdom, another at Animal Kingdom, and one pool day. I still don't understand how people call it magical or anything like that. Our kids are little and they enjoyed themselves, but they didn't seem awed. My son had the most fun checking out the real life Mater from the movie Cars at one of the resorts. My daughter's favorite part was a dino ride at AK. Honestly, the wait time and crowds at MK really soured it for me. And some of the rides that people rave about I found underwhelming. Then there is the cost, and things that used to be included are now extra. I guess it just isn't for me.

Glad you still found a spot to find some Magic. I love the Poly in the evening, so beautiful and calm.

Maybe this is just a "downswing" at WDW and it will bounce back. They have had eras like that in the past, and recovered from them. I think for me what is scary is that because of the pace that Disney does things and builds things, that even if changes are made/implemented, it will take years for us to fully experience many of them. And, because the parks, are still pretty crowded, and rooms are being sold, there isn't much of a reason to react or panic on Disney's part.

But, imagine Universal Studios announcing Super Nintendo World was coming to their parks in 2010, and Disney doing absolutely nothing in "response" to that. It seems impossible. But, as of now, the Mouse really doesn't have a response to Epic Universe coming to Orlando, and it's scheduled to open in 2025. At this point, Disney's "response" probably won't open until Super Nintendo World is 5+ years old.

But, people are still paying to come to the Parks, so why change anything? It all feels like a very interesting "moment" in the history of the Disney Parks.

It seems like there are more negative feelings about the parks, sort of bubbling under the surface, for a lot more people, than there used to be. Disney can absolutely get out ahead of this before it becomes a "crisis" and attendance plummets. But as time inevitably marches on, and Disney continues to bury its head in the sand about the true state of the WDW Guest Experience, I think that the "crisis" becomes a much more realistic scenario.

As was mentioned earlier, travel around the country and the world is seemingly more accessible than ever before. When more options present themselves, Disney's market share of people's travel/entertainment budgets come more into question. And if you were a "Disney Family" from 2005-2015, at this point, are you really giving up all that much by going to actual France (or New Orleans) for a week instead of staying at Port Orleans French Quarter at WDW, again? I'm not so sure.

This quote from Ray Bradbury captures how I feel about WDW very well:

"The secret of Disney is doing things you don’t need and doing them well, and then you realize you needed them all along.”

I hope we can get back to that version of WDW.

I have a timeshare, so I go to Orlando every year. When I go I go for 8-10 days, but we do a rotation of different parks. Last year we did Discovery Cove, Sea World and Hollywood Studios. This year we're doing Hollywood Studios, Epcot and Universal. We fill in the other days with different activities, like pool day(s), Wonder Works, etc. Wife wants to do the Space Center, I want to hit the beach so we may shoot over to Tampa/St. Pete. There is so much non-Disney. I travel on a budget so I'm usually only doing 1 or 2 Disney restaurants and we don't do Disney breakfast, only lunch and/or dinner.

Going for the first time next week. Staying at the resort for 6 days. 4 days in the park and 2 free days.

Could really use some tips on the best way to use genie+

Thanks

Just got back from WDW. Did one day at Magic Kingdom, another at Animal Kingdom, and one pool day. I still don't understand how people call it magical or anything like that. Our kids are little and they enjoyed themselves, but they didn't seem awed. My son had the most fun checking out the real life Mater from the movie Cars at one of the resorts. My daughter's favorite part was a dino ride at AK. Honestly, the wait time and crowds at MK really soured it for me. And some of the rides that people rave about I found underwhelming. Then there is the cost, and things that used to be included are now extra. I guess it just isn't for me.
When I think back to our favorite memories, very few of them involve rides. Depends on kids ages but I would say:

- Character meets
- Castle fireworks
- Bibbidi Bobbidi hairstyling
- Dinner @ Be Our Guest
- Lunch in Cinderellas castle

Several of those require reservations far in advance of course. Getting to ride 7 Dwarves and Avatar for the first time were pretty great when the kids were slightly older. Man was 7 Dwarves hard to get on when it first opened.

Did a quick walk around Epcot yesterday for Flower and Garden. It was, in my opinion - really- crowded. Felt like a big locals day, lots of people checking out the first weekend of the Festival. Lines at attractions may not have been wildly higher than normal, but the park "felt" busy.

I do have to admit, that I found the character topiaries to be less impressive than they typically are. The entrance one just past the turnstiles in-particular wasn't great. It seems like they switched where the big "show stopper" topiary is, to the newly opened area behind Spaceship Earth. I liked it when it was just inside the turnstiles better. I'm sure operations said that it created too much of a crowd just inside the turnstiles, but I found it to be kind of fun, a great "welcome" to the Flower and Garden Festival. Now it feels like the "big one" is sort of hidden, and you have to walk all the way past SSE before you get to see it.

Flower and Garden is my favorite Epcot Festival, but it does somehow feel a little "pared down" this year, I think in part because of the newly opened areas, it makes it feel like the decorations are more spread out, and a lot of the topiaries have been reused for several years at this point. This isn't uncommon anymore, but an injection of a new wave of topiaries would be nice.

The flowers around the ponds look great, as do the floating gardens. Anecdotally, I've heard that the food at the festival this year is an improvement on past Festivals, but the new drinks are largely dissapointing. Additionally, it sounds like the kitchens that Disney itself is running, tend to be better than the booths that are run by Third Party companies. Just something to keep in mind. In the current version of WDW, it wouldn't surprise me to see them putting more effort into the food and drink at festivals than the "decorations" like the topiaries. The food and drink bring in money. The lobster tail at this festival is already generating "buzz" which is $11+ a pop. Nobody is forking over $11 to take a photo in-front of a Donald Duck topiary, so why not just use the one you've been using for a decade? I get it from the company's persepctive, but a refresh to some of the decor stuff would be nice.

Love Epcot. Love Flower and Garden. Just an injection of some new stuff would be great.

Last edited:
I get the sentiment and agree with some of the issues posted in the last couple pages. Things are more expensive - but I see that everywhere, not just Disney. Things are more crowded - but I see that everywhere, not just Disney.

I think there’s still a lot of magic to be found but yes, you do have to either pay for it or learn a somewhat complicated system and have plans. But honestly, on some level, both of those have always been true.

The parts I really strongly agree with:
- stop reducing perks and taking things away while simultaneously charging me more.
- Food quality has gone down across the board but you can still find some areas where it’s improved

So,

Yeah it's more expensive. Everything is. Still lots of fun.
It is lots of fun, and it is more expensive. I still love it too. If I didn't love it, I wouldn't have moved down here a decade ago. I know I'm coming off as all negative. I don't mean to be, it comes from a place of love, and of sadness. The product has declined in quality and gone up in price. Letting go of what it used to be, and accepting what it is now, is tough. Especially as someone that lives so close and goes so often. In the past, I couldn't wait to leave work and get to a WDW resort or park. Now, it is more like, "well, I guess I could go over to Animal Kingdom" which is obviously an incredibly lucky thing to have in my backyard, but also makes the "loss" of what used to be, hit me even harder. As insane as it sounds, it really is like losing a relationship. They're still around, but it's different than it used to be. Accepting that new era of our "relationship" is tough.

Last edited:
Going for the first time next week. Staying at the resort for 6 days. 4 days in the park and 2 free days.

Thanks

There’s tons of YouTube videos that can probably explain it better than any of us and many of us are experts.

My quick Genie+ comments:
- Absolutely do it if you can afford it. Totally worth it.
- Learn how it works and become familiar with the My Disney Experience app. I was skeptical at first myself but have come to love it and have gotten very efficient using it.
- Have plans and backup plans always. To me, this can’t be stated enough. If you spend your time not knowing what you are doing and just wandering around there’s a good chance you will be disappointed in the outcome. I’m closing in on 30 trips in my life and I still make sure and plans things out. And as many of us say, the planning can be fun too.

Thanks
Agree with what others have said so far. Even if you don't end up using Genie, my #1 piece of advice is to: have a plan.

The worst moments of a Disney Day are when somebody in your group asks "What are we doing, next?"

Why? Because this opens up a debate, and if you've got 2 or more people, odds are, everyone is going to have their own opinion. If you have a plan set out, that everyone is aware of and has access to (Phone App, print out, whatever), then you should never end up in those moments where your group is standing off to the side, debating about what to do next.

"Greg is hungry. Sally is cranky. Bobby wants to go on this ride. Jimmy wants to go on this ride. When are we doing X?" With a clear plan, everybody knows when you're going to get to eat. Everybody knows when you're going to ride X attraction. Having a clear and accessible plan of attack, can minimize the amount of stress and anxiety your group experiences to a huge degree.

Even if it is a basic run down of the order you're plannning on doing things, that is huge. You don't necessarily have to plan everything down to the minute, just a #1, #2, #3 type of thing is helpful. And maybe a "general time" of those things happening. Especially eating. "We're eating at X restaurant at 1:30pm" can massively limit anxiety and "hanger" in a lot of people, even those that are often "easy going." If you know that you get to have a burger after this next ride, dealing with the line becomes a lot easier. If the leader of your group says, "okay, lets get in this hour long line" when you're already hungry, and don't know when you're going to get something to eat, you're going to get cranky. But, if I know I get my burger and fries in about an hour? I can power through. That is a huge key to a positive day at the parks.

2nd Tip: Know how to navigate both within and between the parks. Easily the most common comment I get when somebody comes to Orlando and we go to a park together, is how I'm able to walk through the parks efficiently, and avoid crowds while I do it. That comes with practice, but not being "lost" is a huge help when you're at a Disney Park. Being "lost" introduces more opportunity for debate and discussion - "We should go this way. No, its this way. Lets ask somebody." If you just know where to go, and lead the group, there is no room for debate and discussion that can throw off your plan for the day.

This tip goes for being inside of the park and being in the Orlando Attractions Area, in general. Knowing where the Disney bus pickup/dropoff are, or where to call for an Uber, or whatever, is a huge stress reliever and time saver. Giving the appearance that you know what you're doing transportation wise, can often set the tone for the rest of the trip. If you get off the plane and are having to ask a million questions to workers or don't know how to get to WDW etc., this will open the door to discussion and debate about everything else for the rest of the trip. Set the tone. You're the leader. You know what you're doing. Follow me and we'll have a good time. Once there is a weakness detected, nobody is the expert and the power vacuum within the group is going to be filled one way or another. Don't let that happen.

Last edited:
As we’ve made more and more trips I’ve tried to start doing more off the beaten path stuff. Planning to hit up a couple of resort lounges - any recommendations?

As we’ve made more and more trips I’ve tried to start doing more off the beaten path stuff. Planning to hit up a couple of resort lounges - any recommendations?
Wife and I did one of those "drink your way around disney" things that took you through several different places between MK and Epcot....it was pretty cool. I'd need to find where she got the idea from.

MK Area:

Contemporary - The Sand Bar.
This is the pool bar. Go to the ground floor, near the entrance to Steakhouse 71 (formerly The Wave). Go out of the back doors to the pool area. The Sand Bar has a little shack near the pool / docks. This area also has an abundance of beach loungers right next to Bay Lake Tower. The area is extremely calm and quiet, you can grab a drink and chill in a lounger on the shores of Bay Lake. Wonderful.

Wilderness Lodge - Geyser Point.
This is closer to a restaurant than a lounge, but it is a fantastic spot. Go out near the pool area, it is right on the waters of Bay Lake. Good food. Good drinks. Good vibes.

Grand Floridian - The Enchanted Rose.
In the lobby is the most famous and well reviewed. The drinks and atmosphere up there are good. I also enjoy getting a beer at the quick service place - Gasparilla Island Grill and then finding a chair on the "Grand Floridian Beach" near the pool area.

Polynesian - Trader Sam's.
Sam's is cool to do at least once. The drinks are fun and unique, but expensive. Sam's does fun stuff with music and smoke when you order certain drinks, but I don't think it has huge repeatability. The "show" is fun, but it isn't a place I think of when I want to get a drink and relax. It's a place I'd take people that have never been to WDW, like to drink, and won't be alarmed by the price of the drinks. It does that sort of experience, very well. Similar to the Grand Floridian, a tip I always tell people is to find a quick service place, grab a beer and then walk it to a quiet spot. The Polynesian is great for this. Addtionally, getting a drink and then sitting just inside the doors, near the Tiki God, and watching people come into the lobby to start their WDW vacations is really fun. Lots of happy faces.

Epcot Area:

Swan - Il Mulino Lounge.
It is the small bar area just outside of the italian restaurant Il Mulio (very good and under rated restaurant). Edited to add: Kimonos. Has Karaoke from 9pm-1am from Wednesday-Sunday. This is a traditional Japanese styled, karaoke bar. But, it is in "the basement" of the Swan, and because it is more of a night spot, most people don't even know that it exists. The karaoke in there, can be really entertaining. When you've got Disney-Adults mixed with tourists, locals on dates etc, you get a really funny/interesting mix of singers and songs. On the weekends, it can get lively. The drinks aren't super-cheap, but you're paying for the fun.

Dolphin - Lobby Bar.
Good people watching with convention goers all over the place. Lots of seating options, so you can feel like you've got your own spot, but are still in the middle of the action.

Boardwalk - Belle Vue Lounge.
One of the best. Go through the main lobby. If you are looking at the check-in desk it is to your left. Indoor and outdoor seating is available on an elevated patio. Good drinks, and atmosphere. I love the balcony, where you can listen to the Friendships come and go, and people watch those walking around the lake. *Bonus Tip - The actual bar at the "Carvinal Pool" at the Boardwalk sells beers. You can grab one there, and walk it up to the rocking chairs that are posted outside of the Boardwalk Lobby, that overlook the little green space and the lake.

Beach Club - Ariel's.
This is right next to Cape May Cafe and just a short walk from the lobby. Chill place. Typically busier during Happy Hour-ish time. Sometimes they have little events in there like "paint with a cast member" but other than that, you can often find this nearly empty, and its very close to the pool area. Beach Club is another good lobby to hang out in and watch people arrive for their vacation as well.

Yacht Club - Crews Cup.
My favorite. Get the Old Fashioned and the Truffle Fries. You get to look in on the dry-aging room that they use for Yachtman's Steakhouse that is right next door. A must-do on any lounge-centric, WDW excursion.

Last edited:

I think this is just travel though. I think everyone near any even remotely popular destination is saying the exact same things. There are just a lot more people prioritizing travel now. Whether it's social media making people more jealous, or social media making people want to create their own great experiences to share, or boomers will tons of money that are retiring and traveling more, or the younger generations just growing up in a world where experiences > material things, the world has moved in that direction.

I already mentioned skiing, but summer is just as bad here in Utah. I used to be able to drive into Arches for 7 bucks, have the place to myself, see the whole park, and then head over to the Moab brewery for a pint and a burger for 10 bucks. Now it's 80 bucks to get into the park, I have to plan ahead to make a park entry reservation, wait in line outside the park for an hour at my reservation time, get in with bumper to bumper traffic and difficult to find parking that only leaves me enough time to see 1/3 of the park, after which I can head over to the Moab brewery and wait an hour for a table for the opportunity to pay $30 for that same burger and pint.

Maybe some hyperbole there, but not much! I totally get where you're coming from, but as travelers 10-20 years ago we were all ahead of the game. Now that the secret is out and demand is through the roof everything can't raise prices fast enough to slow the crowds, so we get experiences that are both more crowded and more expensive.
We lived in Utah from 2005-2008. Spent most of our free weekends in Moab. I look at Airbnb's there now a lot like I look at booking a Disney trip. It just won't be the same.

I want to take my kids so bad. It just looks so different now.

I take this back, dinner was excellent tonight. Pricey, but excellent.

Driving home and I have a chance to give a small Disney report.
* We stayed at jambo house in Animal Kingdom and had a great stay. Beautiful lobby and awesome view of the savanna. Giraffes, wildebeest, impalas, and other animals were right outside our window.
* The parks were manageable, but Animal Kingdom was tough. Lots of long wait times, probably because of the lack of attractions. There was a lot of rides shut down.
* Dining wise, we hit Boathouse, Ohana, Polite Pig, Chef Art Smith, Chef de France, and Yak and Yeti. All were great but Yak and Yeti, which was pretty terrible.
* This was our first trip using scooters. My dad had a heart attack in Nov and couldn't do it otherwise. Since he got one, my mom took the opportunity to get one as well. If you need one, I highly recommend Gold Mobility.

All in all, while we were limited in what we could do because of my dad, but it was a great trip. My dad always wanted to stay at animal kingdom lodge so he could 'drink coffee with the giraffes in the morning ' and I'm glad I could do that for him. I doubt he'll ever be able to get back there due to his health issues, so it was nice that everything went as smoothly as it did.

The one in Coronado's tower is really nice.
The one in Bay Lake Tower (Top of the World Lounge) is pretty sweet, but you have to be a DVC member or be with one iirc.

ETA: Outer Rim at Contemporary has some pretty strong drinks

Didn't see it mentioned in this thread but several restaurants have a set menu for the dining plan. Chef de France for sure and I'm blanking on the other one we saw last week.
We didn't get the dining plan, and I'm glad we didn't.

Didn't see it mentioned in this thread but several restaurants have a set menu for the dining plan. Chef de France for sure and I'm blanking on the other one we saw last week.
We stopped dining plan years ago. We do cash plus our dvc discount. Works fine for us.

We stopped dining plan years ago. We do cash plus our dvc discount. Works fine for us.
My mom insisted at first since they had it in the past (we would plan during the free dining promo), but I told her we weren't paying for it. The only meal that would have covered the cost was Ohana and even that would have been close.

My wife and I are heading to Disney next week, but only to do some resort hopping. We have 3 young kids (6,3,1) and it’s been a long winter, they’re very demanding kids. And we live in upstate NY, so the cold and grey usually get to us by now. We’re leaving the kids home and just wanted to go somewhere warmer for a couple days.

A couple years ago after we left AK a bit early, we went to the Grand Floridian and Polynesian and had a great time exploring and eating/drinking. So we kind of had the idea this time of using the resort hopping concept for the whole trip. We didn’t want to spend much money, so saving the cost of the parks certainly helps. Using points for the airfare and we’re staying at all star sports so the rate was ~140 per night. We’re able to use “points” from work to buy a Disney gift card that covers the resort cost. All we’re spending out of pocket is food and drink.

Flying in early Monday. Planning on spending the afternoon at Disney Springs. We may take the boat over to Port Orleans and Saratoga Springs. We have reservations at Story Book Dining that evening. My wife wanted to go there 2 years ago but we couldn’t get reservations.

Tuesday is our only full day. Starting at Animal Kingdom Lodge for coffee/breakfast. Going to bus over to the Boardwalk area and check it out along with Yacht and Beach Club. Skyliner to Caribbean Beach and Riviera. Then we’ll finish the night at the monorail resorts. We plan on lots of snacking and a few/several cocktails along the way.

We leave Wednesday evening, so we may have some time to check out something else before we head to the airport.

We’re pretty excited. We both enjoy Disney and love the parks, but this feels like getting somewhat of a Disney experience without the cost and pressure of the parks.
And we’re taking the kids for the first time next year for the whole experience, so we wanted to try and get down there once more as adults.

Can anyone give a brief rundown like I'm 5 years old of the new Genie+ and Lightning Lane systems? You need Lightning Lane to ride the most popular rides there and those are just straight cash to get into the fast pass line? And Genie+ let's you get the equivalent of an old fast pass every two hours into the other rides except you can't use them on the most popular?

And you can't purchase until Midnight of the day you're headed to the park and can't book anything until 7am? Do you get screwed if you sleep in until 8am? Is there any benefit to buying at midnight as opposed to just buying when you wakeup?

Brought the family back down for spring break this week to use the passes one more time. I say this almost every time I post in this thread but man, you really have to know what you are doing down here to enjoy yourself plus be willing to pay for Genie+.

Easter Sunday crowd was nuts but staying on property and with Genie we managed to ride 17 rides at MK, watch the Easter parade, ride the boat to Geyser Point and have lunch and beers, park hop to EPCOT and ride a few things, come back to MK and we could have stayed and ridden 3-5 more things or watch the fireworks.

You just really need to know how things work, where stuff is and be willing to pivot and shell out $$.

Yesterday we had a great day at HS despite enormous crowds. Got everything in but SW land and left for EPCOT to eat Flower and Garden for lunch. Went back to resort and swam and napped - dinner at Beaches and Cream and then watched the nighttime stuff at HS.

Today did start off rough - earliest LL was lunch time for Frozen so moved it to Soarin- we walked all the way to the back of the park to ride Remy and the line was insane. We were there at 8:05 for 8:30 early entry and we were on the bridge to France when the line stopped - we were like no way. Took a bunch of pictures in empty country pavilions, drank coffee and got pastries at Norway bakery. Frozen was down so told my wife, let’s keep an eye on it opening and hop in line - sure enough, as we finished it opened and we got to wait 15 minutes for it.

It really does suck for families that don’t know what they are getting in to and expect things to be magical - it won’t be for most.

One change I’d like to see them make is for the lesser wanted rides they let you pick a LL window. I understand they are being cheap bastards not letting you do that for all but if there’s a ton of LLs available for Spaceship Earth let me pick my return time.

I take this back, dinner was excellent tonight. Pricey, but excellent.
My most recent visit to Ohana was excellent as well. The pacing and delivery of food is very different than it was 20 years ago, but the food still rocks IMO. And the view of MK is great.

Kona Cafe FTW!

Users who are viewing this thread