What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dispute with property manager- advice needed (3 Viewers)

It all depends on how much you value your time and stress.   I'd easily pay $300 to not go through the rigors of filing a court case and spend hours of time filling out paperwork and going to court.    Pay the $300, get the stupid tag, don't turn your property manager into your arch enemy by taking them to court as that will make your life far worse.   Sometimes life is unfair. Even if this wasn't your fault--a $300 hit is not going to kill you.  Pay it up and move on.  

Why so much iBullying?

Every.damn.time.he.posts. I've been tired of it for a while and it's reaching a new level here.

Just try to work it out with the office manager one more time.  Hint that you'd like to renew your lease but this $300 could be a deal breaker.  If no dice, go to the corporate office in Dallas - same ploy.  Also mention you manage a staffing agency and you could offer referrals for the complex and their other properties.  

Pretend you are a salesman and sell this ####.

Just try to work it out with the office manager one more time.  Hint that you'd like to renew your lease but this $300 could be a deal breaker.  If no dice, go to the corporate office in Dallas - same ploy.  Also mention you manage a staffing agency and you could offer referrals for the complex and their other properties.  

There won't be any second attempt with the manager. We almost got in to a fist fight and I let him know what a complete idiot I think he is.

i have no plans to renew the lease in October anyway.

I am going to the corporate office with the goal of getting my money back and getting the manager fired

Why so much iBullying?

Every.damn.time.he.posts. I've been tired of it for a while and it's reaching a new level here.
Because anyone who asks for life advice on a FANTASY FOOTBALL forum should expect to receive a mixture of schtick answers and real answers.

The proper response is to laugh at or ignore the schtick answers, and show appreciation for the real answers.

This particular poster does neither of those things.

Because anyone who asks for life advice on a FANTASY FOOTBALL forum should expect to receive a mixture of schtick answers and real answers.

The proper response is to laugh at or ignore the schtick answers, and show appreciation for the real answers.

I don't think you get it

I don't think you get it
Whenever you create one of these threads, you treat all the responses with a mixture of disdain and hostility. That's no way to go through life, son. When you do it again and again and again, then you lose the right to complain about how other posters respond to you.

Whenever you create one of these threads, you treat all the responses with a mixture of disdain and hostility. That's no way to go through life, son. When you do it again and again and again, then you lose the right to complain about how other posters respond to you.
I haven't been hostile towards any serious responses

you don't understand what you are saying

36 minutes ago, Nugget said:

I am going to the corporate office with the goal of getting my money back and getting the manager fired
Since you almost got into a fistfight with the manager when you first sought to get your $300 reimbursement, this is probably not going to end well. Diplomacy is obviously not your strong suit and you have already antagonized lower management, which may have already been communicated to the corporate office.

If you use the same tactics on the corporate office as you did with the manager, your chances of getting anything are pretty remote IMO. Nugget gave you a reasonable suggestion at how to salvage something, which probably won't work either, but is worth a try, for as my grandma use to say "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you almost got into a fistfight with the manager when you first sought to get your $300 reimbursement, this is probably not going to end well. Diplomacy is obviously not your strong suit and you have already antagonized lower management, which may have already been communicated to the corporate office.

If you use the same tactics on the corporate office as you did with the manager, your chances of getting anything are pretty remote IMO. Nugget gave you a reasonable suggestion at how to salvage something, which probably won't work either, but is worth a try, for as my grandma use to say "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."
When you wake up to find your car illegally towed who would be diplomatic?

especially when the guy is being an ##### right off the bad and only telling me he doesn't have time to do his job properly

When you wake up to find your car illegally towed who would be diplomatic?

especially when the guy is being an ##### right off the bad and only telling me he doesn't have time to do his job properly
Well, you are the one trying to get $300 from the management company and you haven't demonstrated that the lease required notice prior to towing a car without the proper sticker - and that could be crucial to your ultimately getting reimbursed.

You probably have a good shot at winning in small claims court as they can't prove you actually received notice (although the inference is strong that you did). However the threat of small claims court may be seen as a bluff as many people find their time is worth more than the $300 involved here.

You can threaten to move but that might not carry much weight as you may already be viewed as a malcontent who ignores notices on his door.

The bottom line is that you are not in an equal bargaining position to force them to reimburse you. As such, being as diplomatic as possible may not succeed, but being antagonistic at this juncture is probably the worst way to go IMO.

Well, you are the one trying to get $300 from the management company and you haven't demonstrated that the lease required notice prior to towing a car without the proper sticker - and that could be crucial to your ultimately getting reimbursed.

You probably have a good shot at winning in small claims court as they can't prove you actually received notice (although the inference is strong that you did). However the threat of small claims court may be seen as a bluff as many people find their time is worth more than the $300 involved here.

You can threaten to move but that might not carry much weight as you may already be viewed as a malcontent who ignores notices on his door.

The bottom line is that you are not in an equal bargaining position to force them to reimburse you. As such, being as diplomatic as possible may not succeed, but being antagonistic at this juncture is probably the worst way to go IMO.
My time is definitely not worth more than $300

My point is that they don't know that and their perception may be from past experience that the threat over something of this nature usually never results in an actual small claims court case and if it did, they probably have someone in their organization to handle it, with that being considered part of their job, not having to take time off from work.

But do what you want to do, despite advice to the contrary, as that is how these threads usually play out.

My point is that they don't know that and their perception may be from past experience that the threat over something of this nature usually never results in an actual small claims court case and if it did, they probably have someone in their organization to handle it, with that being considered part of their job, not having to take time off from work.

But do what you want to do, despite advice to the contrary, as that is how these threads usually play out.
So your advice is to bend over and take it?

So your advice is to bend over and take it?
No, My advice is to proceed as diplomatically as you can (as suggested by Nugget) rather than being angry, abrasive and demanding. If that fails (which seems likely based on events to date) then take them to small claims court where you got at least a 50/50 shot of winning (I think it will turn on the terms of the lease and whether the court agrees with you that sufficient notice was not given).

RokNRole said:
he refused to credit the $300 expense to my rent . He gave me a number for his supervisor which is not answering nor is anyone anyone answering at the main office in Dallas.

what course of action can I take to be made whole again?

There won't be any second attempt with the manager. We almost got in to a fist fight and I let him know what a complete idiot I think he is.

This pretty much sums things up. OP was given a few suggestions pertaining to his problem but chooses to ignore them..

This is quite easy.  Go knock on a few neighbors doors and see if they got notices.  If not, you'll have a great case, if so, you wont.  Dont make this harder than it needs to be

First off, I don't get all the angst. Seems most people posting in here just showed up to be total richards. That being said, I don't think sticking a flyer in a door comes anywhere close to "serving notice." Those things blow around all the time. People could easily pull them out of a random door. No way that holds up as adequate in court.  Also, I haven't rented in years. But I remember property management companies routinely being money-grubbing richards trying to get every penny they can. So them pulling something like this wouldn't even remotely surprise me. They likely had a deal with the towing company for a cut of the take.

This is quite easy.  Go knock on a few neighbors doors and see if they got notices.  If not, you'll have a great case, if so, you wont.  Dont make this harder than it needs to be
We've been over this.  He doesn't talk to his neighbors, because they don't speak English... or something.  

First off, I don't get all the angst. Seems most people posting in here just showed up to be total richards. That being said, I don't think sticking a flyer in a door comes anywhere close to "serving notice." Those things blow around all the time. People could easily pull them out of a random door. No way that holds up as adequate in court.  Also, I haven't rented in years. But I remember property management companies routinely being money-grubbing richards trying to get every penny they can. So them pulling something like this wouldn't even remotely surprise me. They likely had a deal with the towing company for a cut of the take.
So very true, but the OP wants nothing to do with applying common sense to this problem.  He wants to show that he's a strongarm that doesn't put up with suits at property management companies. :lol:

This doesn't matter much in small claims court. You are basing your assumptions that it is like a real courtroom and it isn't. There are no lawyers, no judge, and no traditional rules like in a trial showing proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Pretty much you go before a magistrate and he hears both sides looks at evidence that would never pass the test in a real court room and chooses who he believes, or if he believes both people he plays the role of a mediator and finds middle ground ,minus the negotiating.

In Michigan at least, obviously different states vary.

You must not be familiar with the OP's base of work here.  

Chance of getting the manager fired=0

Chance of winning in court=0
He has a chance in small claims. 

They don't show up, he wins automatically. 

He talks to his neighbors and none of them got notices either, and the magistrate believes him. He wins. 

The magistrate thinks this is silly and basically splits the money finding both at fault, technically he wins. 

He has a chance in small claims. 

They don't show up, he wins automatically. 

He talks to his neighbors and none of them got notices either, and the magistrate believes him. He wins. 

The magistrate thinks this is silly and basically splits the money finding both at fault, technically he wins. 
you're right about if the other guy doesn't show.  

Seriously, it's almost like this never happened:

Posted Monday at 02:27 PM · Report post

On 4/17/2017 at 2:22 PM, Getzlaf15 said:
Why let the govt have your refund?    And that article pointed out that people that think they are due a refund sometimes actually owe.  The penalty compounds every year.
I had a rough calculation done and I would be owed $200-$300

its worth it to me to not deal with the hassle of filing and just get on with my life rather than worry about unconstitutional income tax 

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/755280-anyone-else-not-file-your-taxes-yet/?do=findComment&comment=20046241

We are talking about money that was stolen from me.

And you weren't picking up the sarcasm
Why do you let the government steal money from you also?       Or are you just too lazy to read the notice stuck in your door you thought was a pizza menu and take an hour to file?  Sounds like if you filed, the government would be paying for the sticker issue.   You can still file and cover this!!!

Why would the new property management company issue new parking stickers to every resident? I bet only new tenants and expiring sticker-holders were handled once the new co. got their act together after closing on the deal. 

I doubt (although it's possible) that every tenant got three notices to get a new sticker. What a cluster that would be. 

Should RNR have checked back on getting a new sticker earlier? Yes. But I don't believe he was given proper notice. His new sticker request was during the shakeup period and got forgotten about. 

Users who are viewing this thread