What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you believe the "mainstream media" has a liberal bias? (1 Viewer)

Does the "mainstream media" have a liberal bias?

• Yes, and it heavily slants news reporting

Votes: 269 55.6%
  • Yes, but it doesn't slant news reporting too much

Votes: 84 17.4%
  • No, the news is neutral

Votes: 52 10.7%
  • No, the news has a conservative or corporate bias

Votes: 79 16.3%

• Total voters
I saw a youtube video of a man who was a good friend of the rockefellers, it was very interesting. He was being interviewed and told how the rockefellers were behind the push for womens lib. Not so much to actually help women but the two main reasons were the govt was now able to tax both the man and the woman who was now working. The other reason was now kids would be more reliant on schools and govt as more of a parental figure since both the dad and mom were busy working. So the kids could be indoctronated. Like i said, its all about changing the culture and over time brainwashing people into giving up freedoms and liberties a little at a time. Its genius really! Id say their job is about done...
:goodposting: You know, I was fooled about the Rockefellers for a long time, because unlike Soros and the Rothschilds, they weren't Jews. At least, not publicly. But then it turns out they had a lot of Jewish friends, so in the end it all fits...
Do you still count Soros in spite of his Nazi ties?
Good question, Glenn.
It is cool how you politically ally yourself with anti-semites. That is thinking outside the box, Timsquish.

'meatwad1 said:
'17seconds said:
'Boom Switch said:
The media has done a masterful job of brainwashing americans for years. Its all about changing the culture. There are very evil, rich people running things "rockefellers, soros and rothchilds" and its all about disarming america, getting rid of family values, getting rid of religion, no national pride, acceptance of homosexuality all with the one goal for a new world order. Amazingly, they are fulfilling scripture. I enjoy the irony... :thumbup:
You seem upset that your religion lost its monopoly on brainwashing.
Funny to see the liberal rubes come and chime on a poll that is owning their butts 72 - 28....also it is great to see Tobais and 17sec back yet again using ridiculous tripe to argue against reasoned logic...its gonna be fun razzing you libs on Nov 7.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: You need to go back and Reload.

'17seconds said:
'Boom Switch said:
The media has done a masterful job of brainwashing americans for years. Its all about changing the culture. There are very evil, rich people running things "rockefellers, soros and rothchilds" and its all about disarming america, getting rid of family values, getting rid of religion, no national pride, acceptance of homosexuality all with the one goal for a new world order. Amazingly, they are fulfilling scripture. I enjoy the irony... :thumbup:
Actually, Im not upset at all. I knew long ago we were gonna lose according to the Book of Revelation. We only lose for a few years, i can deal with that :P

As a general guiding principle, a newsroom should challenge conventional wisdom. Conservatives won't be attracted to a career where this is the norm.

Funny to see the liberal rubes come and chime on a poll that is owning their butts 72 - 28....also it is great to see Tobais and 17sec back yet again using ridiculous tripe to argue against reasoned logic...its gonna be fun razzing you libs on Nov 7.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: You need to go back and Reload.
This is a little weird. I don't think I've commented in this thread in like a year. I swing by to see why it's still on Page 1, and see this. I love you too, Meatwad!

I do like the description of "liberal rubes," though. Colorful. Am I one?

I've menetioned before that I used to be a news videographer. To think that there's no bias is ridiculous. Obviously at the FoxNews and MSNBC level, the bias is part of their mission statement. But even at a more local level, reporters tend to let their personal opinions get in the way. It really is impossible to get news that hasn't been affected by a bias. And it's been my personal experience that there are a lot more people with liberal leanings in the news field than those with a conservative lean. I don't know why that is, but it is.

I've menetioned before that I used to be a news videographer. To think that there's no bias is ridiculous. Obviously at the FoxNews and MSNBC level, the bias is part of their mission statement. But even at a more local level, reporters tend to let their personal opinions get in the way. It really is impossible to get news that hasn't been affected by a bias. And it's been my personal experience that there are a lot more people with liberal leanings in the news field than those with a conservative lean. I don't know why that is, but it is.
It's hard to even get conservatives to speculate about why this is so. We've brought it up a couple of times in past threads and the conservatives mostly have shrugs to offer. It seems to be a profession that simply doesn't interest them. Though things have changed somewhat with the expanded opportunities of the internet.

FWIW, your political beliefs are not part of your job interview at a daily newspaper. They're looking for observational skills, writing skills and curiosity. Again, why should these be attributes not held by conservative types? :shrug:

It's hard to even get conservatives to speculate about why this is so. We've brought it up a couple of times in past threads and the conservatives mostly have shrugs to offer. It seems to be a profession that simply doesn't interest them. Though things have changed somewhat with the expanded opportunities of the internet.

FWIW, your political beliefs are not part of your job interview at a daily newspaper. They're looking for observational skills, writing skills and curiosity. Again, why should these be attributes not held by conservative types? :shrug:
Only thing I can think of is that liberals tend to be drawn to more creative jobs and conservatives are drawn to more money making jobs. I'd count news reporter in the "creative side" as they get to basically tell a story. Now why liberals and conservatives are drawn to certain types of jobs, I'm not really sure. Only thing I can think of is that for conservatives, making money to support their family is a high priority. creative jobs tend to be paid much less. Basically, what's more important for your job, making enough money to live comfortably, or being happy at your job?Now my experience is strictly with television news. My only newspaper experience is through my sister who used to be a newspaper reporter and editor (and is a democrat) She believes that reporters due let their personal beliefs affect the story, but believe it to be done subconciously rather that intentionally.

Only thing I can think of is that liberals tend to be drawn to more creative jobs and conservatives are drawn to more money making jobs. I'd count news reporter in the "creative side" as they get to basically tell a story. Now why liberals and conservatives are drawn to certain types of jobs, I'm not really sure. Only thing I can think of is that for conservatives, making money to support their family is a high priority. creative jobs tend to be paid much less. Basically, what's more important for your job, making enough money to live comfortably, or being happy at your job?Now my experience is strictly with television news. My only newspaper experience is through my sister who used to be a newspaper reporter and editor (and is a democrat) She believes that reporters due let their personal beliefs affect the story, but believe it to be done subconciously rather that intentionally.
College education may also play a role in strengthening the biases. The more conservative, money-making jobs require a college education that usually houses conservative thinkers as professors, teachers, etc. The more creative areas of studies, including journalism schools, have more liberal professors. I've heard speculation that it goes back to Vietnam, when liberal thinkers were more likely to try and stay in college to earn more and more degrees to keep their deferments. After the war they had undergrad, graduate, sometimes PhD degrees and had spent so much time in college they decided to stay there and become professors, further entrenching liberal beliefs in some areas (usually the more 'creative' side) of higher education.

Good info here. Anyone ever wonder why creative types--artists, writers, musicians, etc.--are far more heavily liberal than conservative?

Somebody on the right, Ivan maybe, had a pretty good observation some time back. He said that conservatives are more likely to be satisfied with the status quo and respectful of authority, neither attribute of which is particularly helpful to work as a reporter. Lots of anti-authoritarian types in newsrooms around the country, which is why so many managing editors drink heavily.

A certain amount of cynicism is essential. Reporters get lied to almost constantly because most people who are in the news, whether it be national or local, have an agenda in shaping its appearance. Presidential candidates lie, small town councilmen lie. Coaches lie, if you happen to be on the sports beat. It's the nature of people and somebody who has a great deal of religious faith, for example, may not be the best person to sift through the massive piles of bull#### to get to something anywhere close to the truth.

Good info here. Anyone ever wonder why creative types--artists, writers, musicians, etc.--are far more heavily liberal than conservative?
Because their trades center primarily around the expression of emotion, not logical thought.

This is also why Mitt Romney can be called an evil rich man even though he gave away his inheritance while John Kerry, who is worth many times more and married into wealth, gets a pass. The numbers don't matter. With liberals, it's all about intentions, the feeling behind what you do. Kerry is a Democrat and Democrats claim to be champions of the poor. That's all that matters.

Good gravy, the head of Yahoo!'s Washington news bureau just got fired for saying in a live ABC chat that Romney would throw a party if black people drowned. That's the kind of bias that can't possibly be objective.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/08/29/Shock-ABC-News-Romneys-Party-As-Black-People-Die
That was really stupid to say. Good riddance.
It's not really what he said. It was a terrible hurricane "joke" about the convention's timing. Guy didn't actually say that the Romneys would throw a party in response to black people drowning like Grove suggests. Still a stupid thing to say, though. Of course he was just a local bureau chief of an internet company- not exactly the kind of power broker who drives the news. And Yahoo! immediately fired him and issued an apology. Sounds like the media got it right after some loudmouth employee said something really dumb.

Good gravy, the head of Yahoo!'s Washington news bureau just got fired for saying in a live ABC chat that Romney would throw a party if black people drowned. That's the kind of bias that can't possibly be objective.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/08/29/Shock-ABC-News-Romneys-Party-As-Black-People-Die
Things like that and ABC jumping straight to the Aurora gunman being in the tea party (he's not) are why so many people think the media is biased against the right.

Because their trades center primarily around the expression of emotion, not logical thought.

This is also why Mitt Romney can be called an evil rich man even though he gave away his inheritance while John Kerry, who is worth many times more and married into wealth, gets a pass. The numbers don't matter. With liberals, it's all about intentions, the feeling behind what you do. Kerry is a Democrat and Democrats claim to be champions of the poor. That's all that matters.
For that particular subgroup, a not especially numerous one, your generalization may be accurate. I wouldn't characterize all liberals in this manner, however, just like I wouldn't characterize all conservatives alongside social conservatives whose views were formulated by reading the bible. Many of our political issues today are not so much ideological as they are pragmatic -- which way is gonna work best?

What did he say? Am I supposed to click on the Breitbart.com link to find out?
I pretty much quoted him. If you don't want to click breitbart, you can read the WaPo article that pretty much contains the same info. www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/08/29/yahoo-editor-fired-over-anti-romney-joke/

I pretty much quoted him. If you don't want to click breitbart, you can read the WaPo article that pretty much contains the same info. www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/08/29/yahoo-editor-fired-over-anti-romney-joke/
Gotta like other news people coming to the defense of the guy
gwen ifill @pbsgwen One mistake does not change this. @DavidChalian is God's gift to political journalism. #IStandwithDavid 29 Aug 12
Ryan Lizza @RyanLizza Terrible, cowardly decision by Yahoo! to fire @DavidChalian, 1 of the best and fairest political journalists in this business. RT if u agree
So these people think the guy who said the GOP likes black people drowning is fair and a gift to political journalism?

Last edited by a moderator:
gwen ifill @pbsgwen One mistake does not change this. @DavidChalian is God's gift to political journalism. #IStandwithDavid 29 Aug 12
Ryan Lizza @RyanLizza Terrible, cowardly decision by Yahoo! to fire @DavidChalian, 1 of the best and fairest political journalists in this business. RT if u agree
So these people think the guy who said the GOP likes black people drowning is fair and a gift to political journalism?
I've always liked Ryan Lizza, even though I haven't read of his stuff since he left TNR. It's kind of disturbing to see him defend this kind of thing.

I pretty much quoted him. If you don't want to click breitbart, you can read the WaPo article that pretty much contains the same info.www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/08/29/yahoo-editor-fired-over-anti-romney-joke/
gwen ifill @pbsgwen

One mistake does not change this. @DavidChalian is God's gift to political journalism. #IStandwithDavid

29 Aug 12
Ryan Lizza @RyanLizza

Terrible, cowardly decision by Yahoo! to fire @DavidChalian, 1 of the best and fairest political journalists in this business. RT if u agree
Sigh. He didn't say this. There's a HUGE difference between saying someone is partying "while" something happens and saying they're doing it "because" something happens.

Complaints about media bias would have a lot more weight if the complainers weren't so casual with the truth themselves.

I pretty much quoted him. If you don't want to click breitbart, you can read the WaPo article that pretty much contains the same info.www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/08/29/yahoo-editor-fired-over-anti-romney-joke/
gwen ifill @pbsgwen

One mistake does not change this. @DavidChalian is God's gift to political journalism. #IStandwithDavid

29 Aug 12
Ryan Lizza @RyanLizza

Terrible, cowardly decision by Yahoo! to fire @DavidChalian, 1 of the best and fairest political journalists in this business. RT if u agree
Sigh. He didn't say this. There's a HUGE difference between saying someone is partying "while" something happens and saying they're doing it "because" something happens.

Complaints about media bias would have a lot more weight if the complainers weren't so casual with the truth themselves.
:rofl:

gwen ifill @pbsgwen

29 Aug 12
Ryan Lizza @RyanLizza

“they (GOP) are happy to have a party with black people drowning.” Sure sounds like he's insinuating that the GOP is happy that black people are drowning. Not sure how else you can take that, especially with the stereotype of the GOP when it comes to minorities.

I pretty much quoted him.
Tobias said he didn't say what you said, but that he made a joke. I wanted to see the joke, but I didn't want to have to click a link and read an article.
From the Post article:
David Chalian, the Yahoo News Washington Bureau chief, has been fired after getting caught on a hot mike telling a fellow host on an live ABC News web show to “feel free to say” that “they” — Mitt Romney and his fellow Republicans — “are happy to have a party with black people drowning.”The implication: that Republicans’ decision to continue with their convention despite the hurricane hitting New Orleans means they don’t care about black people.

Yeah, that was a pretty stupid and offensive thing to say.
Agree completely. If you want to argue that Republicans are racist there's much better ways to do it.
Articles like that don't help the media's image either. Thanks to USA Today, many go straight to the graphic and not read the article, so they totally miss that the number one answer is "Don't know". Assuming that it's an even split between D/R/I, is it really a story that 17% of republicans polled think that it's because blacks vote democrats to get benefits from the gov't?

Agree completely. If you want to argue that Republicans are racist there's much better ways to do it.
Articles like that don't help the media's image either. Thanks to USA Today, many go straight to the graphic and not read the article, so they totally miss that the number one answer is "Don't know". Assuming that it's an even split between D/R/I, is it really a story that 1.7% of republicans polled think that it's because blacks vote democrats to get benefits from the gov't?
Whoa, you're right. I was under the impression that those numbers were percentages of respondents who had an answer, i.e. that the respondents could choose more than one answer and 59% of those who responded chose that answer. Upon further inspection, it looks like it's just a raw count, which is in the small, italicized print.I was gonna delete my post, but on second thought maybe I should leave the link here as evidence that the mainstream media does have a liberal bias. It's actually a pretty good example of it.

ETA: On a third look, I think it's actually not a total non-story. 75 out of maybe 300 or 400 giving a pretty racist answer is a decent chunk of people. But still, the format is misleading, could have been presented in a much clearer (and less damning) way.

Flipping through channels yesterday during the RNC just see what each network was talking about. MSNBC was showing Ryan's speech. All the while in the upper corner of the screen the message "Lean Forward" kept flashing over and over again. I thought I heard somewhere that Obama was using "Forward" as his campaign this this year. Curious. :unsure:

Articles like that don't help the media's image either. Thanks to USA Today, many go straight to the graphic and not read the article, so they totally miss that the number one answer is "Don't know". Assuming that it's an even split between D/R/I, is it really a story that 1.7% of republicans polled think that it's because blacks vote democrats to get benefits from the gov't?
Whoa, you're right. I was under the impression that those numbers were percentages of respondents who had an answer, i.e. that the respondents could choose more than one answer and 59% of those who responded chose that answer. Upon further inspection, it looks like it's just a raw count, which is in the small, italicized print.I was gonna delete my post, but on second thought maybe I should leave the link here as evidence that the mainstream media does have a liberal bias. It's actually a pretty good example of it.

ETA: On a third look, I think it's actually not a total non-story. 75 out of maybe 300 or 400 giving a pretty racist answer is a decent chunk of people. But still, the format is misleading, could have been presented in a much clearer (and less damning) way.
But you did think it showed that a majority of republicans thought that Blacks voted democrat just for free benefits. That's what gives the appearance As an aside, One should always be leery of any poll where they don't show the raw data.

But you did think it showed that a majority of republicans thought that Blacks voted democrat just for free benefits. That's what gives the appearance As an aside, One should always be leery of any poll where they don't show the raw data.
Absolutely. Like I said I think it actually shows liberal media bias, even though that wasn't my original intent in posting it here. I can admit when I'm wrong. I do think it shows something of interest and does not paint the GOP in a flattering light, but it's clearly designed to make them look worse than the actual data. Not OK.

Press has an open mic moment coluding on the one question they are gonna get Romney on no matter who he calls on. HIllarious

If you ask jouranlism majars why they chose their major they may say something like "to change the world." While cnservatives may see the mission of a journalist to be one who looks for and reports who what where when and why, a starry eyed jornalism major may see themselves in the role of being the bully pulpit for the little guy.

Didja ever notice that the media used to print lots of stories to rile up the peasants, about high gas prices, or air raids in Afghanistan that killed civilians? Now you never hear a peep about those things. Weird.

Didja ever notice that the media used to print lots of stories to rile up the peasants, about high gas prices, or air raids in Afghanistan that killed civilians? Now you never hear a peep about those things. Weird.
If a Republican was President right now the MSM would be relentless on covering the high gas prices.

If you ask jouranlism majars why they chose their major they may say something like "to change the world." While cnservatives may see the mission of a journalist to be one who looks for and reports who what where when and why, a starry eyed jornalism major may see themselves in the role of being the bully pulpit for the little guy.
I wouldn't put it like that. Lots of J majors do believe in comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable, though. Abuses are much more likely to be enacted by those in power than by those without it.

If a Republican was President right now the MSM would be relentless on covering the high gas prices.
I would have to agree with this. Instead, you hear that the DOW is reaching levels it hasn't seen in years. Definitely eye raising.

Media falls all over itself to expose a "secret video" of Romney talking behind closed doors. Yet the same media is still keeping under wraps the video of Obama speaking at a party for Palestinian radical Rashid Khalidi.

Probably because revealing the Romney video now helps get current foreign policy failures off the front page.

Media falls all over itself to expose a "secret video" of Romney talking behind closed doors. Yet the same media is still keeping under wraps the video of Obama speaking at a party for Palestinian radical Rashid Khalidi.

Probably because revealing the Romney video now helps get current foreign policy failures off the front page.
ok, i'll bite. What?

Users who are viewing this thread