What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you think think Favre should call it quits (1 Viewer)

pokersteve

Footballguy
I have been reading a lot about Brett Favre calling it quits. I’m not sure what I think about it. The Packers did not have Lady Luck on their side this year in the injury department and have to wondering how much of Green Bay’s 4 – 12 was their quarterbacks fault. I was wondering what other people through about Favre retiring.

Steven

NFL Legends

Yes, this is getting old and I can't see how it doesn't weigh on his teammates. His selfishness may have also played a part in the Javon Walker catastrophe.

Yes, this is getting old and I can't see how it doesn't weigh on his teammates. His selfishness may have also played a part in the Javon Walker catastrophe.
Please explain.

Yes, he should call it quits, so I don't have to deal with everyone making such a big deal about this every offseason.

It really doesn't matter what any of us think about this subject. It's up to Favre, but it is a tiresome subject every year. Almost as tiresome as all the Manning threads. ;) One thing for certain, and that is most Packer fans will have Favre withdrawls just like Denver fans had Elway witdrawls. Hell, some of them are still having Elway withdrawls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm at a loss on this one. Can someone be this ignorant?

What's he got to come back for? Eye popping career stats? CheckWinner? CheckSuperbowl Ring? CheckHall of Fame lock? CheckChance to win the Superbowl next year? :no: He's pretty much done it all, and is one of the all time greats any way you want to measure it. The only reason he'd come back is that he just loves the game that much that he can't stand not being around it. Or to chase records. I can't see him coming for that, though.

Please explain.
He called him out during training camp. IMO, Farve has no business in telling a man how to live his life. Now Walker will lose out on millions. Now people like to say that athletes get payed too much anyway but these guys have short careers and need to make money that others make over time. Now Walker may or may not had come into camp on his own initiative but Farve who pulls this whiny, show me attention and make me feel wanted BS every offseason had no room to talk.

Please explain.
He called him out during training camp. IMO, Farve has no business in telling a man how to live his life. Now Walker will lose out on millions. Now people like to say that athletes get payed too much anyway but these guys have short careers and need to make money that others make over time. Now Walker may or may not had come into camp on his own initiative but Farve who pulls this whiny, show me attention and make me feel wanted BS every offseason had no room to talk.
Uh huh. Walker chose to holdout. Walker chose to comeback. Favre had little to do with it. Also, see sig.

He's earned the right to come back IF he wants to, though I believe it wouldn't be best for the organization. They aren't far from being a contender, but their not close enough to think that Favre being back next year could make them an elite team again. GB needs to start preparing for the future, and they must get somebody else under center for that to happen. As he quoted Robert Smith:"Better to walk away early, than to limp away late."

I think he should either stop throwing the ball to the other team or stop playing football, his choice.

It's been such a pleasure watching Favre and he has done so much for the Packers that part of me never wants to see him go. The other part is ready for Ted Thompson and Co. to make whatever changes they see fit and move forward w/o Favre.

He can play/not play on his own terms, but his own terms have gotten a litle ridiculous. By his own admission, he tried (and often succeeded) in talking Sherman out of pulling him from late games that were out of hand. That's silly. Colin

Last season I saw a QB who can still play at an elite level. Take away a few bad throws and you had a QB who is mobile, with a rocket arm, and who understood the game like no other. I certainly want him to come back next season. And I think he will regret it if he packs it in already. The grind of being a pro athlete is getting to him, but after a few months of sitting on the couch and eating potato chips he will realize what a special opportunity he has squandered, to play one more season.For those who say Favre is selfishly making his decision of whether to retire every year a story, :wall: . He is asked questions, and he answers them truthfully. It is the reporters that make this a story every year, and they do it because we the people are interested. Can it get any simpler than that?

He can play/not play on his own terms, but his own terms have gotten a litle ridiculous. By his own admission, he tried (and often succeeded) in talking Sherman out of pulling him from late games that were out of hand. That's silly.

Colin
Silly? Favre wanted to stay in because he had a strong desire to try and win. :rolleyes:

Can it get any simpler than that?
No.... because the haters usually have no clue what they are talking about.
Haters? Read carefully as I will speak slowly so you can understand...2...9...I...N...T....S.....

If he was any other QB, he wouldn't be in there in games, he would be benched. Harrington, Brees, Hasslebeck, CPep, Brady, Collins, etc...How many of those would even be starting if they had Favre's stats from this year? Dude, give it up and stay in MS.

Can it get any simpler than that?
No.... because the haters usually have no clue what they are talking about.
Haters? Read carefully as I will speak slowly so you can understand...2...9...I...N...T....S.....

If he was any other QB, he wouldn't be in there in games, he would be benched. Harrington, Brees, Hasslebeck, CPep, Brady, Collins, etc...How many of those would even be starting if they had Favre's stats from this year? Dude, give it up and stay in MS.
Thanks for proving my point. :thumbup:

Please explain.
Uh huh. Walker chose to holdout. Walker chose to comeback. Favre had little to do with it. Also, see sig.
I don't care who you are, it is not cool to comment on another players contract negotiations. You are right, Walker made those choices, but Favre had no right to put his two cents in.Favre's quote to the Green Bay Press-Gazette:

"If Javon wants to know what his quarterback thinks, and I would think he might, I'd tell him he's going about this the wrong way," Favre told the newspaper. Later, in a much stronger statement, Favre added, "I sure hope the Packers don't give in to him."

I think Wayne Cherbet should play one more as well, he had as productive a seasons and both will be returning to playoff caliber teams with legit shots at a Superbowl. :D :bye: Brett your best days are behind you!

No. If he wants to play and the Packers let him, why the hell shouldn't he? If the GB coach or GM lacks the stones to bench Favre because of his icon status, that's not on Brett.

Last season I saw a QB who can still play at an elite level. Take away a few bad throws and you had a QB who is mobile, with a rocket arm, and who understood the game like no other. I certainly want him to come back next season. And I think he will regret it if he packs it in already. The grind of being a pro athlete is getting to him, but after a few months of sitting on the couch and eating potato chips he will realize what a special opportunity he has squandered, to play one more season.

For those who say Favre is selfishly making his decision of whether to retire every year a story, :wall: . He is asked questions, and he answers them truthfully. It is the reporters that make this a story every year, and they do it because we the people are interested. Can it get any simpler than that?
Exactly. On ESPN tonight, Mort also stated the interview was set up to discuss Mike Holmgren. So all Favre does is answer the questions honestly and with class yet the ignorant haters try to claim he is a drama queen. No matter what Favre does, the haters will continue to hate him. It's funny because I equate the level of hate to how good a player is. See the Manning, Brady, and the Favre haters.

Last season I saw a QB who can still play at an elite level.  Take away a few bad throws and you had a QB who is mobile, with a rocket arm, and who understood the game like no other.  I certainly want him to come back next season.  And I think he will regret it if he packs it in already.  The grind of being a pro athlete is getting to him, but after a few months of sitting on the couch and eating potato chips he will realize what a special opportunity he has squandered, to play one more season.

For those who say Favre is selfishly making his decision of whether to retire every year a story,  :wall: .  He is asked questions, and he answers them truthfully.  It is the reporters that make this a story every year, and they do it because we the people are interested.  Can it get any simpler than that?
Exactly. On ESPN tonight, Mort also stated the interview was set up to discuss Mike Holmgren. So all Favre does is answer the questions honestly and with class yet the ignorant haters try to claim he is a drama queen. No matter what Favre does, the haters will continue to hate him. It's funny because I equate the level of hate to how good a player is. See the Manning, Brady, and the Favre haters.
Excellent point by Flavved. Favre has always been very open with the media. When asked a question he gives an honest answer. It is natural that when ESPN wanted to talk to Favre about Holmgren that they would also ask about his feelings about retirement. Favre simply gave an honest answer. I would be willing to bet that had the same question been asked at this time last year that Favre would have had the same answer. And he still came back for another year.

No. If he wants to play and the Packers let him, why the hell shouldn't he? If the GB coach or GM lacks the stones to bench Favre because of his icon status, that's not on Brett.
And you think Farve's not the best qb on Green Bay's roster? :lmao:

Last season I saw a QB who can still play at an elite level.  Take away a few bad throws and you had a QB who is mobile, with a rocket arm, and who understood the game like no other.  I certainly want him to come back next season.  And I think he will regret it if he packs it in already.  The grind of being a pro athlete is getting to him, but after a few months of sitting on the couch and eating potato chips he will realize what a special opportunity he has squandered, to play one more season.

For those who say Favre is selfishly making his decision of whether to retire every year a story,  :wall: .  He is asked questions, and he answers them truthfully.  It is the reporters that make this a story every year, and they do it because we the people are interested.  Can it get any simpler than that?
You can't be serious. I am far from a Farve hater but this shiot is getting old. Figures he comes in during the week of the Superbowl and says this stuff. If I'm the Packers I move on. The team is not close to winning, IMO chose a terrible head coach and do not need a ? at QB this off-season and next year. He has become a deterent for the team and the business of the organization as a whole.

You can't be serious. I am far from a Farve hater but this shiot is getting old. Figures he comes in during the week of the Superbowl and says this stuff. If I'm the Packers I move on. The team is not close to winning, IMO chose a terrible head coach and do not need a ? at QB this off-season and next year. He has become a deterent for the team and the business of the organization as a whole.
Yes, I am serious. Did you not read what Mort stated tonight? Favre was asked to do an interview to discuss Holmgren. FAVRE DIDN'T ASK FOR THE INTERVIEW.He answered the questions honestly yet the hating tools still find a reason to rip on him.

The three biggest reasons for Favre to return:1. To prove all the haters WRONG!2. To put Holmgren in his place.3. He owes it to his FANS.Favre, if you're reading this: You MUST return!

I think Favre can play better than most QBs, and if he wants to play another year, it's no big deal. They will have Walker back and other injured players will return, so Green Bay could have a decent year. Did anyone think Chicago would have the kind of year they had? Especially after Grossman got hurt? Hell, Grossman was like a rookie anyway, so that really didn't matter. Favre may just have another great year in him if the chips fall in the right places.

And you think Farve's not the best qb on Green Bay's roster? :lmao:
Didn't say that at all. But the "Favre should retire" crew seems to think he has nothing left to offer. I was just running with that. I personally still think he can play, and wouldn't mind seeing him in silver & black. :D

Last season I saw a QB who can still play at an elite level. Take away a few bad throws and you had a QB who is mobile, with a rocket arm, and who understood the game like no other. I certainly want him to come back next season. And I think he will regret it if he packs it in already. The grind of being a pro athlete is getting to him, but after a few months of sitting on the couch and eating potato chips he will realize what a special opportunity he has squandered, to play one more season.

For those who say Favre is selfishly making his decision of whether to retire every year a story, :wall: . He is asked questions, and he answers them truthfully. It is the reporters that make this a story every year, and they do it because we the people are interested. Can it get any simpler than that?
Yes, I am serious. Did you not read what Mort stated tonight? Favre was asked to do an interview to discuss Holmgren. FAVRE DIDN'T ASK FOR THE INTERVIEW.He answered the questions honestly yet the hating tools still find a reason to rip on him.
Yes...I am sure that Favre was completely blindsided by the questions about retirement that came up. I'm sure he took the interview thinking that would never be a part of the questioning and would not be reported at all.

Yes...I am sure that Favre was completely blindsided by the questions about retirement that came up. I'm sure he took the interview thinking that would never be a part of the questioning and would not be reported at all.
What does that have to do with anything? So, what did he do wrong in that interview? Of course he was going to be asked about it, reporters have been asking him about retirement for the last few years.

He answers their questions in a classy and honest way.

If he dodges the retirement question, the haters would rip on him for that as well.

Keep hating! :lmao:

What does that have to do with anything? So, what did he do wrong in that interview? Of course he was going to be asked about it, reporters have been asking him about retirement for the last few years.

He answers their questions in a classy and honest way.

If he dodges the retirement question, the haters would rip on him for that as well.

Keep hating! :lmao:
:lmao: I like your schtick. It is growing on me.

I have been reading a lot about Brett Favre calling it quits. I’m not sure what I think about it. The Packers did not have Lady Luck on their side this year in the injury department and have to wondering how much of Green Bay’s 4 – 12 was their quarterbacks fault. I was wondering what other people through about Favre retiring.

Steven

NFL Legends
No, but I also didn't think Rice should have called it quits. I thought he was more than capable of putting up another 1000 yard season.I also felt Favre was capable of putting up 4000 yards and 40 TDs this season.

6 Weeks into the season, he was on pace for 4189 yards, 37 TDs and 21 INTs.

Then of course the wheels fell off his horse.... or whatever that saying is.

I think he could play another five years if the NFL would let him, and he'd still be better than 80% of the other QBs.

It's ridiculuos. Hey, if he wants to play I've got no beef with that. Just do it and shut up. Don't come out every offseason and milk it dry. "If I had to pick right now and make a decision, I would say I'm not coming back." My god, crap or get off the stool already. I'm stifled trying to remember a guy "woe is me"ing the last 4 years of a great career. Some guys stay too long (Emmitt, Rice) but they didn't act like it was torturing their soul. And on ESPN? Pease. Media whore.

It's ridiculuos. Hey, if he wants to play I've got no beef with that. Just do it and shut up. Don't come out every offseason and milk it dry. "If I had to pick right now and make a decision, I would say I'm not coming back." My god, crap or get off the stool already. I'm stifled trying to remember a guy "woe is me"ing the last 4 years of a great career. Some guys stay too long (Emmitt, Rice) but they didn't act like it was torturing their soul. And on ESPN? Pease. Media whore.
That's a pretty good point. But they are the ones interviewing him. He is simply answering the questions.You can blame this on the Seahawks and Steelers playing in the Super Bowl. Nothing else to write about....

:rolleyes:

That's a pretty good point. But they are the ones interviewing him. He is simply answering the questions.You can blame this on the Seahawks and Steelers playing in the Super Bowl. Nothing else to write about....
I just don't buy it. Anyone actually believing Favre was blindsided needs to see me for ocean front property. It's plain as day he can't bear being removed from the controversy for more than a couple weeks with being 'dragged into an interview.'

I just don't buy it. Anyone actually believing Favre was blindsided needs to see me for ocean front property. It's plain as day he can't bear being removed from the controversy for more than a couple weeks with being 'dragged into an interview.'
Please provide links that will have Favre mentioning retirement without being asked about it first. I will hang up and listen now.

Please provide links that will have Favre mentioning retirement without being asked about it first. I will hang up and listen now.
How many flippin times does he have to be asked? He damn well knows that question is coming in every interview.

How many flippin times does he have to be asked? He damn well knows that question is coming in every interview.
So what you are saying is he should stop giving interviews? Or, when he is interviewed he should bring it up without being asked?

Users who are viewing this thread